Old 09-10-2020, 02:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 794 Likes on 511 Posts

An interesting note from someone talking to Garmin - there is no data overlay on the videos the Catalyst records. I wonder if the "optimum" lap is on the SD card for play on other devices. If it is, it would be interesting to compare that lap with the actual best driven lap using www.comparemylaps.com on a large screen to really see the detail.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,481 Likes on 1,654 Posts

I got mine yesterday and started looking at it. It is bigger than I expected.

It knew that the closest track was Lime Rock Park and the interface looks nice.

I'll be at LRP in my 944 this Saturday and hope to give a review thereafter.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
ProCoach (09-10-2020), psychlox (09-12-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 03:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
An interesting note from someone talking to Garmin - there is no data overlay on the videos the Catalyst records. I wonder if the "optimum" lap is on the SD card for play on other devices. If it is, it would be interesting to compare that lap with the actual best driven lap using www.comparemylaps.com on a large screen to really see the detail.
videos are stored on one of the two SD cards, the external SD slot is prioritized over the "internal" one - dont know what format it is stored in yet though.

BTW given that it is equipped with BT I could imagine a future upgrade offering connectivity to a BT enabled OBDII sensor which would allow the unit to collect telemetry from the CANBUS

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-10-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:44 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
videos are stored on one of the two SD cards, the external SD slot is prioritized over the "internal" one - dont know what format it is stored in yet though.

BTW given that it is equipped with BT I could imagine a future upgrade offering connectivity to a BT enabled OBDII sensor which would allow the unit to collect telemetry from the CANBUS
The videos are mp4 from what I've been told from people with units in hand.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,918 Likes on 1,710 Posts

No. not in the feature set. Not needed to perform it’s stated objective, on device targeted review of opportunities validated by track position.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good! Sent a dozen out today, most of these spoken for and more coming next week.

Excited for tomorrow at VIR!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,498 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Good! Sent a dozen out today, most of these spoken for and more coming next week.

Excited for tomorrow at VIR!
WOW - looks like Garmin (and you) have a hit on your hands!!!!

p.s - sorry I didn't know about you earlier I would have happily given you my business!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
WOW - looks like Garmin (and you) have a hit on your hands!!!!

p.s - sorry I didn't know about you earlier I would have happily given you my business!
I really appreciate that. Quite a few folks have communicated that. Hopefully, those in the market will buy from me.

It's a hit because the technology no longer gets in the way of going quicker, with less risk... Enjoy yours!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I really appreciate that. Quite a few folks have communicated that. Hopefully, those in the market will buy from me.

It's a hit because the technology no longer gets in the way of going quicker, with less risk... Enjoy yours!
I haven't seen Garmin talk about risk, but you keep mentioning it. It's sort of like optimize - a process is optimized for something. In driving it could be speed, lap time, consistency, or some other metric. I'm not not sure how this device lowers the drivers risk.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm not not sure how this device lowers the drivers risk.
Good gracious, Matt.

Optimizing a driver’s performance by finding and focusing on (and now easily accessing, without “interpretation”) opportunities for improvement is FUNDAMENTAL in an orderly, incremental action plan to go faster.

As you well know, eighty to ninety percent of what drivers do is pretty good, by finding and focusing on areas of opportunity, drivers go faster in areas that can sustain that increase.

We also both know that data can log areas where there is NOT much margin and that the driver should tread lightly or stand pat.

By supplying guided, vetted and validated information and delineating areas to work on that will reward the driver with improvement, as a matter of course the driver will be able to go quicker with less risk.

A fundamental of successful coaching...
Old 09-11-2020, 12:22 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 371 Posts

Mr Krause
went to your website listed in your signature and didn’t see package offer, I.e. w suction cup. Can you provide link or should I call?
Old 09-11-2020, 07:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Norge911
Mr Krause
went to your website listed in your signature and didn’t see package offer, I.e. w suction cup. Can you provide link or should I call?
Thank you. Please call or send me an email with a good time to call. I can follow up right away.

Online Store up next week.

Turns out the device comes with BOTH a cig lighter plug power for street cars and portable instructor use, as WELL as a permanent, hardwired and high quality 12V power adapter for mounting in your own car or a competition car.

We just need to talk about mounting options for portable use and competition car use, BlueTooth and helmet connectivity options.

Also, what the Catalyst does and does not so expectations are clear.

Of course, free ground shipping.

Thank you and look forward to speaking with you.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:55 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if the AI is sophisticated enough to handle a situation where a driver sets some fast initial laps then his tires start to get greasy, the track gets greasy or damp, or some other situation that causes grip levels to decrease. Will it sense the decrease in available grip and dial back its recommended entry speeds?
Old 09-13-2020, 12:59 AM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone have some real world feedback after today? Any tangible lap time improvements?
Old 09-13-2020, 01:07 AM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I think someone already mentioned a concern about the suction cup mount; I’m wondering if this will pass PCA tech inspection or if there are any other mounts out there that will.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching