Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
This thing looks pretty cool, a couple of questions that maybe I missed.

What's the GPS update rate? Most phones are only 1 Hz which makes apps like Harry's Lap Timer and others really only accurate to +/- 1 second unless you are using an external GPS device.

Why no OBD2 interface? Seems like if it's meant to coach me to "GAS GAS GAS! MORE GAS!" it would need to have throttle position data to know how much I'm on the gas.

I suppose it could all do it strictly via speed, but that seems a bit limited.
This is a standalone device. No phone interface wanted, needed or necessary.

The GPS uses a 10 Hz UBLOX engine, just like most high end MoTeC, AIM, Cosworth and VBOX dedicated loggers. I’ve found that mounted correctly, the GPS performance is comparable to those loggers.

It has very good accelerometers that are mounted in the camera, and the positioning of the camera is critical as the AI is “looking” for the edges of the road in comparison to the edges of the front of the car.

As has been outlined before, this device is measuring the end result of driver input on both go and no-go pedals and the steering wheel.

Back before OBDII data, in the Stone Age when wheels were made out of wood, all of us who used data used only accelerometer information to determine the location, progression and amplitude of throttle as well as brake commitment. This does the same thing.

But it’s much more sophisticated than just that, because it measures your path, radius, forces acting on the car in ALL axis and calculates in real time what you’ve done better, as well as what the car has done better.

Bottom line is that for it to do what it is designed to do (driver optimization) and what it DOES do, car information (throttle/brake/rpm/gear/steering) is not needed.

I am glad to sell and support many other options for diving into that. Most of the people who have that barely scratch the surface of using that information to help themselves. Takes too much time to do a throttle angle-drive wheel speed analysis for most folks. Plus, if they don’t need to do that, they need to yell at themselves inside the helmet; “GAS! GAS! GAS!”

Besides, the goal is always 100% throttle around the whole lap. Of course, you can’t do that. But you are ALWAYS striving for that. At least the very best do...

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-16-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:35 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Roarke
whats mean RTM ?

could you educate me a little bit
Read The Manual. The more irritated version is RTFM.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Besides, the goal is always 100% throttle around the whole lap. Of course, you can’t do that. But you are ALWAYS striving for that. At least the very best do...
FLAT OUT! That's how I drive - sorry Peter, I couldn't resist....
The following users liked this post:
Roarke (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 08:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TXE36
Read The Manual. The more irritated version is RTFM.

FLAT OUT! That's how I drive - sorry Peter, I couldn't resist....
coffee up my nose! Thanks!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-16-2020, 11:04 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Sure, No problem.. What I did was POP-Rivet a peice of alu where the vents go, covered in alcantera.. and I use dzues tabs to connect the mount to that part.. I have a UAG military grade cover for my phone and it slides in the channel perfect with a little interference... (Gotta pull pretty good to get it out, but thats the point) ... I made this one "push" a little on the dash for more stability vidieo-wise, The video from my first one (I phone 4) Looked like you were watching a video after consuming massive amounts of Jack Daniels... Are you going to summit?
Thank you for your offer to make one for the Garmin. I can handle Dzus fittings and making attachments that do not require welding.
No, I am not going to Summit. I am sending you a PM on how my current dash/console looks, aka a photo
Be safe and have fun at Summit
Tom
Old 09-16-2020, 12:13 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

This thing could lead to us releasing our own inner Kimi

Last edited by BFT3.2; 09-16-2020 at 12:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BFT3.2:
243R (07-30-2021), paradocs98 (09-18-2020), trader247 (10-28-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What are good BT earbuds to use in my helmet ? I have a stilo with a MototolaCM300D radio connection to talk to my crew, so I guess my only option is the BT connection , correct? Or can the Garmin talks to my radio receiver and how ?

Thanks

Fabe

Last edited by fabe32; 09-16-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by vincenz0
This thing looks pretty cool, a couple of questions that maybe I missed.

What's the GPS update rate? Most phones are only 1 Hz which makes apps like Harry's Lap Timer and others really only accurate to +/- 1 second unless you are using an external GPS device.

Why no OBD2 interface? Seems like if it's meant to coach me to "GAS GAS GAS! MORE GAS!" it would need to have throttle position data to know how much I'm on the gas.

I suppose it could all do it strictly via speed, but that seems a bit limited.
its a 10Mhz GPS ...

it can determine speed etc from accelerometers so no need for OBD-II CANBUS inputs, although it would be a nice to have
Old 09-16-2020, 12:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fabe32
What are good BT earbuds to use in my helmet ? I have a stilo with radio connection to talk to my crew, so I guess my only option is the BT connection , correct? Or can the Garmin talks to my radio receiver and how ?

Thanks

Fabe
There will be Y-cables that I’ll offer to “patch in” to Stilo/Roux/existing IMSA car harnesses.

Also, if people use earbuds, there is a $29 BT receiver with a 3.5mm port from Amazon and a cable to the Stilo or Roux helmet connections, for those NOT using a radio harness.

For now, a single BT earbud or something simple like a SkullKandy Jib+ from Walmart or Target OR, if your car has BT audio capability, you can pair with nearly any BT receiver through the on screen setup menu when you install it.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its a 10Mhz GPS ...

it can determine speed etc from accelerometers so no need for OBD-II CANBUS inputs
10 Hz GPS.

Correct. It is looking at the end result, not the granule detail. If you need to be told to get to WOT, you aren’t trying hard enough and no device is going to help that...
Old 09-16-2020, 12:30 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There will be Y-cables that I’ll offer to “patch in” to Stilo/Roux/existing IMSA car harnesses.

Also, if people use earbuds, there is a $29 BT receiver with a 3.5mm port from Amazon and a cable to the Stilo or Roux helmet connections, for those NOT using a radio harness.

For now, a single BT earbud or something simple like a SkullKandy Jib+ from Walmart or Target OR, if your car has BT audio capability, you can pair with nearly any BT receiver through the on screen setup menu when you install it.
Peter, can you then send me that Y-cable, with the unit as well ?
Thanks
Fabrice
Old 09-16-2020, 12:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts
Talking

10 Hz GPS.

Correct. It is looking at the end result, not the granule detail. If you need to be told to get to WOT, you aren’t trying hard enough and no device is going to help that...

I think the "issue" is that this is a new approach to coaching, and people are comparing (in advance) the capabilities with existing systems that collect telemetry from the car itself and present that in a format
that then requires human interpretation in order to determine actions that the Catalyst is already determining itself ... i.e later braking, turn in points, acceleration out of corners etc...

I think the "proof will be in the pudding" - I'm off to Sears on the 25th and looking forward to seeing what the Catalyst adds to the experience ... I think a LOT of the value is in the immediate and actionable
input vs sitting watching your laps again afterwards in order to extract coaching inputs...
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 02:10 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
LOve it, I do not have a welder for aluminum, can you make me one? Will cover costs plus markup>
Thank you,
Tom
Hi,
Photo of cockpit of my 944, dash location for mounting bracket for Garmin

#83 Porsche 944 cockpit
Old 09-16-2020, 02:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Hi,
Photo of cockpit of my 944, dash location for mounting bracket for Garmin

#83 Porsche 944 cockpit
Tom, the top half of the Garmin should be above the dash cover.

You will want to quickly and easily remove the tablet for session review, too.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

I think the "issue" is that this is a new approach to coaching, and people are comparing (in advance) the capabilities with existing systems that collect telemetry from the car itself and present that in a format
that then requires human interpretation in order to determine actions that the Catalyst is already determining itself ... i.e later braking, turn in points, acceleration out of corners etc...

I think the "proof will be in the pudding" - I'm off to Sears on the 25th and looking forward to seeing what the Catalyst adds to the experience ... I think a LOT of the value is in the immediate and actionable
input vs sitting watching your laps again afterwards in order to extract coaching inputs...

Can I “LOVE” this post?

Spot on.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fabe32
Peter, can you then send me that Y-cable, with the unit as well ?
Thanks
Fabrice
Fabrice! Your Catalyst will be delivered to you tomorrow, so too late.

I have to have these made up, so it will be AT LEAST ten days to two weeks, likely after the end of the month. I will let you know when I have them.

That's why I am suggesting inexpensive Bluetooth earbud (single) or earbuds for use right now.

Also, if there is a way to add Raceceiver audio (via a male 3.5mm plug) to your helmet comms, that is another way to pipe it in.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-16-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching