Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 12:33 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I understand the very exciting coaching aspects of the device, and it’s worth every penny just for that, but can you also use it to simply record and download a full HPDE session, along with normal data such as a track map; speed; rpm; gear selection; accelerator/brake usage; g-meter, etc, to say YouTube?
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes.
All of that?
Old 09-09-2020, 12:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
All of that?
My mistake. Didn't read close enough.

No. No car sensor specific information is available.

While RPM and gear will not come through, accelerator/brake usage, calculated by accelerative forces actually measured by the device, forms the basis of analysis and AI coaching.

This device measures end-result of driver control inputs and the forces acting on the car. That is all that is necessary to formulate goals and objectives to leverage opportunities for improvement, in my experience.

I will test today the export options.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-09-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:50 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
not that I am aware of...
Originally Posted by good hands
Is there a bluetooth compatible helmet out there yet? I love the built in ear buds for my radio.
I've got these in my helmet for when I work with an instructor:

https://www.sampsonracing.com/Driver...kp-spk-3.5.htm

I plan on velcro-ing this small BT receiver to the side of my helmet and plugging in the Sampson headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHSX28M/?coliid=I2YEQHSEKNNKBZ&colid=37TGNRZOH5XTF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHSX28M/?coliid=I2YEQHSEKNNKBZ&colid=37TGNRZOH5XTF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 09-09-2020, 01:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There are some inexpensive SkullKandy BT earbuds that have a volume control that hangs down, can be paired with the Catalyst and fit well under the helmet that a friend tested this morning.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:05 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 237 Posts

I am very interested in this product as a novice moving in to the intermediate class. It could be a useful tool when I lose the instructor in the passenger seat. Based on everything that I understand that it does, I am sold...

However, as a cyclist, I also happen to be well immersed in the Garmin world with a Fenix watch and many ANT+/Bluetooth sensors. Although it would all just be a bonus and not really required, I am interested in whether it records/synchronizes any biometric data. It is not clear to me from the marketing info whether it has any of these functions. If not, it seems like a real missed opportunity for simple integration within the Garmin ecosystem. For example, pairing a HR sensor would be an easy add. Also, it seems like adding vehicle telematics like throttle and rpm would be really simple with an OBD sensor. The Garmin VIRB does that already. Maybe I am trying to turn this device into too much but these integrations seem somewhat obvious to me...
Old 09-09-2020, 03:09 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
There are some inexpensive SkullKandy BT earbuds that have a volume control that hangs down, can be paired with the Catalyst and fit well under the helmet that a friend tested this morning.
For helmets like Stilo with built in headphones, certainly there is some sort of cable with a male end that plugs into the helmet and a female mini-jack on the other? That would allow us to plug a Bluetooth receiver directly into the helmet, taking advantage of the comfort and noise cancellation we already have in place.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:13 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
For helmets like Stilo with built in headphones, certainly there is some sort of cable with a male end that plugs into the helmet and a female mini-jack on the other? That would allow us to plug a Bluetooth receiver directly into the helmet, taking advantage of the comfort and noise cancellation we already have in place.
This should work

https://racerpartswholesale.com/stil...adapter-cable/

paired with this:

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+headphone+adapter&qid=1599675192&sr=8-3 https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+headphone+adapter&qid=1599675192&sr=8-3
Old 09-09-2020, 03:26 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

yes, THANK You!
Old 09-09-2020, 03:29 PM
AgentSpeed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$52 for a $1 cable Nice work Stilo
Old 09-09-2020, 05:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sonorous
Based on everything that I understand that it does, I am sold...

However, as a cyclist, I also happen to be well immersed in the Garmin world with a Fenix watch and many ANT+/Bluetooth sensors.

Maybe I am trying to turn this device into too much but these integrations seem somewhat obvious to me...
It is the PERFECT tool for people who have graduated to intermediate/advanced Solo who wish a straightforward, real-time and post session review “instructor/coach-in-the-car.”

I know there is huge headroom in the hardware for perhaps this sort of (biometric) expansion in the future.

I do think it’s important for them not to incorporate “feature creep,” but by no means is this device fixed in its capability, at least from a hardware standpoint. Garmin is a big company, with lots of resources. More than any other player in this market...

Bingo. A good way to do that with integrated speakers in the helmet.

My initial stock order is arriving tomorrow with accessories to adapt to a wide variety of applications (street car, transferring between cars and dedicated competition cars).

I will have them at NASA Mid Atlantic at VIR on Friday and will ship orders I have received and those made over the weekend on Monday. Already ordered a second round.

For those interested in buying and collecting one at the Summit Point Club Race, please contact and work with Evan Close now. I’ll send them to him.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-09-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:36 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Just signed up for a track day at Homestead this Sunday and will try it out. Question - we are going to run both the full infield course and the modified Roval road course, alternating during the day. Does the Garmin have multiple configurations loaded for each track that are separate from one another? How do I prevent it from getting confused if I run the infield a couple of times and then switch over to the Roval?
Old 09-09-2020, 06:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Just signed up for a track day at Homestead this Sunday and will try it out. Question - we are going to run both the full infield course and the modified Roval road course, alternating during the day. Does the Garmin have multiple configurations loaded for each track that are separate from one another? How do I prevent it from getting confused if I run the infield a couple of times and then switch over to the Roval?
there are 3 variants for homestead:
- road
- oval
- modified road

hope that helps

also

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-09-2020 at 06:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
cdegrace (10-13-2020), ProCoach (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 06:43 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I got mine yesterday, I checked Homestead and it then gave the choices of Road Course, Oval, and Modified Road Course.

Mike
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 07:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You don’t even have to make a new track. It’s in the database.

As a matter of fact, the Garmin track database is the most complete I’ve ever seen. Natch for a mapping company...

This is about 20% of my support calls...

AiM, VBOX, MoTeC, MM, Cosworth, Apex Pro, Traqmate and others, more complete than all of them...

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-09-2020 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:57 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 178 Posts

Just signed up for a track day at Homestead this Sunday and will try it out.
Really looking forward to your feedback as I’m quite familiar with HMS.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching