Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 01:11 AM
Rmag911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by psychlox
I think someone already mentioned a concern about the suction cup mount; I’m wondering if this will pass PCA tech inspection or if there are any other mounts out there that will.
I had that thought as well. No clue why Garmin didn't include this with the product, but this guy 3D printed an additional clip to make sure the unit doesn't fly off the mount mid corner:

You can download the print file for free. If the product reviews are good and I buy one, I plan to have a local printer make me one of these clips.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rmag911:
lcjhnsn (09-14-2020), psychlox (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 02:24 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Mount

I think someone already mentioned a concern about the suction cup mount; I’m wondering if this will pass PCA tech inspection or if there are any other mounts out there that will.
Peter Krause has two types of mounts available, as I understand. The suction cup for multi-function cars, street & track, and a permanent mount for dedicated race cars.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I do think there is improvement possible with the surety of mounting using the mag base. I know something is in the works for a tether, for those groups and competition cars that need that. I like the printed plastic "wings" but don't see that as a "must have."

With thousands of track miles tested over the past year, and some VERY aggressive curb hopping in purpose-built GT cars yesterday, not one has come adrift. Unfortunately, one was impact tested at T10 and stayed put, as well.

Cruising through the paddock at the Mid-Atlantic NASA DE/TT/Race (400+ cars) yesterday, I saw RAM and other suction cup mounts for phones, AiM Solo/Solo DL's, GoPros and a few of the Garmins in cars without mention or concern from tech. As this has become ubiquitous, I see fewer and fewer organizations barring their use, but I agree an additional tether to the base is always good. For any device.

I am impressed with the included Garmin suction cup base. At least as strong as the RAM base. The positive vacuum pump (by flicking the lever) on a clean surface works well, as does the turn-to-lock on the RAM base. The 1" B-ball RAM stuff is interchangeable with the Garmin hardware. The camera takes a purpose built Garmin mount.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-13-2020, 12:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Peter Krause has two types of mounts available, as I understand. The suction cup for multi-function cars, street & track, and a permanent mount for dedicated race cars.
The included suction cup, arms and extension are fine for DE, dual purpose and cars with glass windshields. I add a RAM V-mount (metal) B-ball roll bar mount option for competition cars.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,001 Likes on 598 Posts

I haven't seen the Garmin suction cup, but the RAM mounts have been tested and approved.for FAA use. The testing data is pretty impressive on the G loads it will take. Garmin may have similar, but I haven't seen it.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:08 PM
psychlox
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the info - it Sounds like a suction cup mount is fine for my purposes. I think the PCA HPDE tech inspection rules used to be (paraphrasing here) "nothing that isn't attached with a screw". Maybe that's no longer the case.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:06 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the info - it Sounds like a suction cup mount is fine for my purposes. I think the PCA HPDE tech inspection rules used to be (paraphrasing here) "nothing that isn't attached with a screw". Maybe that's no longer the case.
I’ve used suction cup mounts for my GoPro and Aim with PCA for the last two years and they’ve never said anything. I know some regions have varying interpretations of the rules however...
Old 09-13-2020, 02:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

SCCA, when cameras came out, required a tether, cloth strap or metal wire. AiM SmartyCam's, for example, come with an eyelet under one of the ring nuts for the ports in the back.

I do know that a tether is in the pipeline and a Swedish user has already generated a positive locking 3D plastic printed retaining clip for more sure mounting to the mag base for the Catalyst.

I'm having some made up now for those who feel they need them. But it'll be a week or two.

I didn't have any trouble with the stock setup with half a dozen people, some pretty aggressively crashing curbs (and one literally crashing ) yesterday at VIR.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've confirmed that the optimal lap video for each session, albeit without sound or overlay, playable in it's entirety is available from the mSD card. Also, the whole session with sound. Good sound. Again no overlay because it doesn't have to juice to render real time. It's focused on the AI and coaching crunching. Pretty cool!

Here's more on the real time, in-session, verbal coaching. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...n_drivesession
Old 09-13-2020, 07:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I've confirmed that the optimal lap video for each session, albeit without sound or overlay, playable in it's entirety is available from the mSD card. Also, the whole session with sound. Good sound. Again no overlay because it doesn't have to juice to render real time. It's focused on the AI and coaching crunching. Pretty cool!

Here's more on the real time, in-session, verbal coaching. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...n_drivesession
just out of curiosity what if any Mac or PC s/w do you recommend to merge lap video with telemetry, wondering if a "buddy" device to the Catalyst could be used to capture vehicle telemetry and get merged in post production - maybe even Harry's or the Porsche Track app?
Old 09-13-2020, 09:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You would need a "buddy device" to capture the data, then combine with the raw video from the Garmin in RaceRender, I suppose.

I really think that is outside the scope or mission of this device. People can geek out all they want but there are other tools better for that, like a GoPro Hero with GPS and Race Technology's $70 software to make "hero" videos after the fact, because that takes time...

The goal is to have the video, with the speed data, g data, segment information, optimal lap video all displayed for comparison, all at your fingertips for a targeted review, and goal list for the next session in five or ten minutes on the device itself, using the touch screen interface.

There is NO download, NO file handling, NO information transfer (although data can be uploaded via WiFi to Garmin Connect), NO laptop, NO software and NO operating systems to navigate or come up to speed on.

NOTHING to get in the way of finding out what you need to do NEXT. On TOP of real-time coaching and advanced coaching.

The way the video works in this device is that the camera has an incredibly specific field of view, clearly delineated in the setup screen and accessible from the device. It measures your lateral position and uses this to gauge your driving precision. Similar to the VBOX primary camera recommended placement, this allows the voice coaching to identify and TELL you to move closer to the apex. It's incredible...

But all ya'll geeks, knock yourself out. I heard today that the Android OS that the Catalyst uses is relatively antique (Marshmallow), but it's clearly more than sufficient to do it's job. And it will NEVER run out of opportunities to tell/show you...
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You would need a "buddy device" to capture the data, then combine with the raw video from the Garmin in RaceRender, I suppose.

I really think that is outside the scope or mission of this device. People can geek out all they want but there are other tools better for that, like a GoPro Hero with GPS and Race Technology's $70 software to make "hero" videos after the fact, because that takes time...

The goal is to have the video, with the speed data, g data, segment information, optimal lap video all displayed for comparison, all at your fingertips for a targeted review, and goal list for the next session in five or ten minutes on the device itself, using the touch screen interface.

There is NO download, NO file handling, NO information transfer (although data can be uploaded via WiFi to Garmin Connect), NO laptop, NO software and NO operating systems to navigate or come up to speed on.

NOTHING to get in the way of finding out what you need to do NEXT. On TOP of real-time coaching and advanced coaching.

The way the video works in this device is that the camera has an incredibly specific field of view, clearly delineated in the setup screen and accessible from the device. It measures your lateral position and uses this to gauge your driving precision. Similar to the VBOX primary camera recommended placement, this allows the voice coaching to identify and TELL you to move closer to the apex. It's incredible...

But all ya'll geeks, knock yourself out. I heard today that the Android OS that the Catalyst uses is relatively antique (Marshmallow), but it's clearly more than sufficient to do it's job. And it will NEVER run out of opportunities to tell/show you...
I heard a report today that it was telling someone to go faster from start finish to braking for turn one. He was flat and is a national champ. He was long flat....

Also, from what everyone has said, the data is only with the video in the device, correct?

And the screen shots from Connect is review data (lap time, max speed, etc).

Hopefully tomorrow we see some actual reviews.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Well said
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-13-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski

the data is only with the video in the device, correct?

And the screen shots from Connect is review data (lap time, max speed, etc).
Correct. Video TOGETHER with data is only available on the device.

Again, reviewing data, speed, sector times, all of that, WITH video, graphs, GPS line overlay validated by position and camera with comparison to optimal lap video, is done ON the device.

Connect is just to archive simple data and not necessary for function or use of the device. As a matter of fact, no connectivity is required for the device to function as designed.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-14-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:36 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Correct. Video TOGETHER with data is only available on the device.

Again, reviewing data, speed, sector times, all of that, WITH video, graphs, GPS line overlay validated by position and camera with comparison to optimal lap video, is done ON the device.

Connect is just to archive simple data and not necessary for function or use of the device. As a matter of fact, no connectivity is required for the device to function as designed.
I'm sure people will want to be able to watch the optimal lap between sessions and events on larger screens as well. Having the "optimum" lap to study will be great for people. The more info on it the better IMHO.

If it's like other devices, any updates and FW changes will happen through Connect.

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching