Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 08:32 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It's fantastic. There've been a few beta testers. Ross Bentley has been one of the resources keen behind the project.

It takes the technology out of the way of using it for quicker laps, IMO.

I should have stock shortly.
Peter
Are you planning to test the Garmin on your race car at VIR to verify the algorithms? If so,the results would be important decision make for me. Thanks, Tom
Old 09-05-2020, 11:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Peter
Are you planning to test the Garmin on your race car at VIR to verify the algorithms? If so,the results would be important decision make for me. Thanks, Tom
Tom, tested yesterday in a ClubSport and very impressed. Novice and pros all found time. Novices more than pros. As expected

Will do more at the private event end of the week and at NASA next weekend but again, this device:

a) turns squiggly lines into actionable task executions via spoken prompts in the car during the session

b) prioritizes after “learning,” the three greatest gain opportunities post-session, integrating both GPS and in video for track placement and validation, accelerative and braking forces, gSum and an “intelligent” sector report, all on the device

c) requires no laptop, operating system or software to navigate, no files to transfer and “marry up” or any specialized device training, at all

d) is portable from car to car and with the appropriate accessories, can be installed and torn down in about three to five minutes

e) relies on a significant AI component to extend the bar and continue with higher-level skill execution advice. All this as the driver pushes the performance envelope and improves their performance

f) removes the technical and software navigation barrier which is a real challenge in commitment, knowledge and time required to master, something that takes away from the utility and value of any device that requires that (which is all existing systems), in my experience

I will use it on my car the weekend after the Summit Club races so I can benefit!

If Ross can find nearly a second after a six lap learning period using ONLY the spoken prompts, it bodes well for the sophistication and validation of the information calculated and provided.

I am taking pre-orders and expect to ship the week of the fifteenth. I will be able to supply substantial and detailed resources to those who buy. I have never taken pre-orders before, but with a company of Garmin’s resources and the experience I’ve had being set up as a dealer for them has instilled a lot of confidence that they’ll ship (when they say they will) a finished product.

It is not a competitor, but rather complimentary to more involved data logging systems drivers may have, but drivers will want to pay attention to this one first.

It does have substantial hardware headroom to add features, but it will always be highly targeted towards ease of use and the primary task at hand, which is to turn squiggly lines into action plans that can improve driver performance.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-05-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 795 Likes on 511 Posts

Someone that bought one got it late yesterday and started using it. From what they could tell, the start trigger was about 50 mph which made testing on the street tough. They said it had a nice feel and it was easy to set up, but it was too early to judge ( and they weren't on a real track). I e cool feature is the ability to have all video on the memory cards along with the "optimum" lap for replay on a bigger screen.

They also noted there is no talk of accelerometers in the device which would be interesting. I think this could be very good for some folks and give them a way to improve their driving. Time will tell. I know there are units being used today in real situations, so reviews and info will be forth coming.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:01 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Tom, tested yesterday in a ClubSport and very impressed. Novice and pros all found time. Novices more than pros. As expected

Will do more at the private event end of the week and at NASA next weekend but again, this device:

a) turns squiggly lines into actionable task executions via spoken prompts in the car during the session

b) prioritizes after “learning,” the three greatest gain opportunities post-session, integrating both GPS and in video for track placement and validation, accelerative and braking forces, gSum and an “intelligent” sector report, all on the device

c) requires no laptop, operating system or software to navigate, no files to transfer and “marry up” or any specialized device training, at all

d) is portable from car to car and with the appropriate accessories, can be installed and torn down in about three to five minutes

e) relies on a significant AI component to extend the bar and continue with higher-level skill execution advice. All this as the driver pushes the performance envelope and improves their performance

f) removes the technical and software navigation barrier which is a real challenge in commitment, knowledge and time required to master, something that takes away from the utility and value of any device that requires that (which is all existing systems), in my experience

I will use it on my car the weekend after the Summit Club races so I can benefit!

If Ross can find nearly a second after a six lap learning period using ONLY the spoken prompts, it bodes well for the sophistication and validation of the information calculated and provided.

I am taking pre-orders and expect to ship the week of the fifteenth. I will be able to supply substantial and detailed resources to those who buy. I have never taken pre-orders before, but with a company of Garmin’s resources and the experience I’ve had being set up as a dealer for them has instilled a lot of confidence that they’ll ship (when they say they will) a finished product.

It is not a competitor, but rather complimentary to more involved data logging systems drivers may have, but drivers will want to pay attention to this one first.

It does have substantial hardware headroom to add features, but it will always be highly targeted towards ease of use and the primary task at hand, which is to turn squiggly lines into action plans that can improve driver performance.
Peter,
Thank you, sent PM.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 07:31 PM
Rmag911
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the device influenced by prior run sessions? For example, if I lend it to a friend in a lower run group and then use it in my session, will the advice be skewed? If so, does the device have multiple profiles?

sorta seems like How Netflix’s suggestion algorithm kept getting skewed until they implemented separate profiles.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,289 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I ordered one before I knew anyone here would be a dealer for them - which I would have preferred.

I have an AIM dashboard and two smarycams in my car but still I thought this could be useful. When working with a coach, who is familiar with analyzing data, makes this a useful tool. However, for idiots like me who really just can't get data into their heads (and I have tried!) this tool may be useful.

Happy to let people know what I think and hoping to have it before the Summit Point race in a couple of weeks.
+1
Old 09-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Does this device overlay data onto easily exportable video like SmartyCam? It's unclear from the Garmin webpage. Says "The included remote cam captures clear, crisp HD video, which can be played back on the device with time-synced overlays showing speed, lap data and more." To me, it sounds like that overlay only exists on the device making post-track day discussions with the internet community a little more difficult. Can data even be exported at all?

From the "it complements, not replaces" comments above, it seems the answer to my questions is likely no. (Incidentally, would make me feel a lot better about having invested $3K in AIM goodies over the past year and half. But I'm really just curious about this new, somewhat surprising, product.)
Old 09-05-2020, 07:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

+1
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
GTS-Jim (01-10-2021), ProCoach (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 07:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rmag911
Is the device influenced by prior run sessions? For example, if I lend it to a friend in a lower run group and then use it in my session, will the advice be skewed? If so, does the device have multiple profiles?

sorta seems like How Netflix’s suggestion algorithm kept getting skewed until they implemented separate profiles.
As part of the touch screen interface, it’s easy to add multiple profiles, drivers, cars. And change between them. Power down wipes the session memory, AFAIK.

I also think it’s possible in endurance racing and with pro coaching, to not power down on the same profile and get the benefit of coaching to the “extended envelope” of the faster driver. But I need to confirm that.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-05-2020, 07:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan_S
Does this device overlay data onto easily exportable video like SmartyCam? It's unclear from the Garmin webpage. Says "The included remote cam captures clear, crisp HD video, which can be played back on the device with time-synced overlays showing speed, lap data and more." To me, it sounds like that overlay only exists on the device making post-track day discussions with the internet community a little more difficult. Can data even be exported at all?

From the "it complements, not replaces" comments above, it seems the answer to my questions is likely no. (Incidentally, would make me feel a lot better about having invested $3K in AIM goodies over the past year and half. But I'm really just curious about this new, somewhat surprising, product.)
I would be surprised if it didn't... but I get mine on Wednesday ... I'll let you know

specs claim it has 2x SD card slots to provide up to 256Mb storage, which suggests a couple of things:
1) data persists over power cycles
2) that the data *may* be externalized in std formats (at least the video recordings)

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-05-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:54 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,127 Likes on 736 Posts

[quote=Rmag911]Is the device influenced by prior run sessions? For example, if I lend it to a friend in a lower run group and then use it in my session, will the advice be skewed? If so, does the device have multiple profiles?

sorta seems like How Netflix’s suggestion algorithm kept getting skewed until they implemented separate profiles. [/

Deleted.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,494 Likes on 1,656 Posts

I can't tell you how many times I have taken "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines" on a long plane or train ride saying THIS TIME I WILL READ IT! My brain is totally wired for language and not math. No matter how many times I apply myself I can only get benefit from the data my AIM provides with the help of a coach.

Accordingly, I am really hopeful that this device provides me with the "mid level" of coaching which I can use when a coach is not around. As you stated, I see this as something to be used in addition to traditional AIM/MOTEC data and coaching, not a replacement.

Any word on the "powered" magnetic mount? Whatever that means?

On another note, this looks pretty interesting as another track device from Garmin - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/60...n/010-02006-00

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 09-06-2020 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (10-15-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 12:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I can't tell you how many times I have taken "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines" on a long plane or train ride saying THIS TIME I WILL READ IT! My brain is totally wired for language and not math. No matter how many times I apply myself I can only get benefit from the data my AIM provides with the help of a coach.

Accordingly, I am really hopeful that this device provides me with the "mid level" of coaching which I can use when a coach is not around. As you stated, I see this as something to be used in addition to traditional AIM/MOTEC data and coaching, not a replacement.

Any word on the "powered" magnetic mount? Whatever that means?

On another note, this looks pretty interesting as another track device from Garmin - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/60...n/010-02006-00
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with your observations on utility and efficacy of self coaching with software designed for dedicated study. It’s a real barrier, not only for current users, but especially for those considering the purchase of this type of technology. Even Windows navigation is a PITA, for many.

Also, I think you’ve nailed the intended and best use of this device. It will ALWAYS provide objectively derived, AI tuned opportunities for improvement, at all levels intermediate solo and above.

It also takes out of the equation downloading and combining video and data files, file management and all of the impediments getting directly to actionable items, both in real time on track, and immediately post session (and even previewing past performance for your next track event at the same track).

It doesn’t do what AIM/MoTeC/Cosworth/VBOX does and it doesn’t have any connection to the car, doesn’t need it for what it does. So as you say, it’s complimentary.

I’ll post a pic of the mag mount with contacts.

I might have to stock one or two of those watches. If only for the lap time consistency gauge, preloaded tracks, audio lap time announcement and especially access to the extensive biometrics, all in one.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 339 Posts
Talking Garmin Automated Coaching

Good god this device looks awesome, and if Ross Bentley has his hands in this project, that's a major blessing. Peter's and Matt's insight is always useful. I have to try one of these boxes!
Old 09-07-2020, 08:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Good god this device looks awesome, and if Ross Bentley has his hands in this project, that's a major blessing. Peter's and Matt's insight is always useful. I have to try one of these boxes!
Mine comes tomorrow to late for a day at Sears in the heat!
For those ordering id recommend getting 2*128mb microsd cards for storage of data

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching