Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 01:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,594 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
This is so tempting, even though I already have an AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam from Peter. It promises to be so much more useable for immediate feedback--the live "coaching" aspect, obviously, but also the quick and easy way to review sessions immediately afterwards in the paddock. The traditional data acquisition systems are just so fiddly with their software interfaces that it makes meaningful review in the short time between sessions difficult. This Garmin system would potentially allow you to make improvements in real time so you get so much more out of your day. Eagerly awaiting some reviews here...

(Above promotion paid for by Peter Krause. You should have my address on file for shipping me my promotional Catalyst, Peter.)
this is the *key* unique selling proposition of this device vs the "professional" systems that require post-session analysis using a computer or phone and the ability to interpret the raw data from the telemetry and video...
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
paradocs98 (09-18-2020), ProCoach (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 03:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
this is the *key* unique selling proposition of this device vs the "professional" systems that require post-session analysis using a computer or phone and the ability to interpret the raw data from the telemetry and video...
And the major reason, since day one, my business has sold and supported not only multiple manufacturers and levels of systems for post session analysis, but also pursued, embraced and promoted new and emerging technologies incorporating AI, like the Apex Pro and this one.

It’s an exciting time!

The Catalyst ticks the boxes for a majority of my market in providing tailored, prioritized direction to realize concrete gains. Immediately.

The all in one, closed ecosystem not requiring a laptop, a tablet or any negotiating of software to get both real time spoken coaching in three different ways, but also a maximum of three prioritized goals for next session, together with video so you can SEE to do it, is a killer app.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
paradocs98 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 08:52 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

For those with built in helmet radios, here is a quick and easy way to Bluetooth Catalyst audio into the helmet. Small BT receiver attached via velcro and cable from Racer's Warehouse with Stilo connection on one end and male 3.5mm on the other.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'd encourage all current and future users to check for updates when the device is connected to Wifi before each track event.

Updates to both the app and the Pro Coaching database, as well as track updates, are coming thick and fast.

I had my demo in a McLaren Senna yesterday afternoon and this morning went to put it in a 2019 GT3 RS and it had app v2.33, Pro Coaching 2.41 up already.

It doesn't take too long over good WiFi but please keep your Catalysts up to date.

Still have not gotten ANY support request or installation/setup calls.... Kind of nice!
Martin S. (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 02:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'd encourage all current and future users to check for updates when the device is connected to Wifi before each track event.

Updates to both the app and the Pro Coaching database, as well as track updates, are coming thick and fast.

I had my demo in a McLaren Senna yesterday afternoon and this morning went to put it in a 2019 GT3 RS and it had app v2.33, Pro Coaching 2.41 up already.

It doesn't take too long over good WiFi but please keep your Catalysts up to date.

Still have not gotten ANY support request or installation/setup calls.... Kind of nice!
good to know! thx Peter!
Old 09-19-2020, 02:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
And the major reason, since day one, my business has sold and supported not only multiple manufacturers and levels of systems for post session analysis, but also pursued, embraced and promoted new and emerging technologies incorporating AI, like the Apex Pro and this one.

It’s an exciting time!

The Catalyst ticks the boxes for a majority of my market in providing tailored, prioritized direction to realize concrete gains. Immediately.

The all in one, closed ecosystem not requiring a laptop, a tablet or any negotiating of software to get both real time spoken coaching in three different ways, but also a maximum of three prioritized goals for next session, together with video so you can SEE to do it, is a killer app.
agreed - these should be selling like hot cakes - cant wait to see what it does for me at Sears next week - I'll report back here!
Old 09-19-2020, 06:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

agreed - these ARE selling like hot cakes - cant wait to see what it does for me at Sears next week - I'll report back here!
FIFY! Can’t wait to hear what you think.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

agreed - these should be selling like hot cakes - cant wait to see what it does for me at Sears next week - I'll report back here!
all the positive reviews in here and on Facebook got me to buy one too. Going to test it out at MSR-Houston on10/3. Hoping it’ll get me over the hump in terms of my recent lap times.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Here is a comment in the Users Group for the Catalyst:

"First track day at laguna seca with the unit — I ran the unit with no coaching or anything the first session and set my baseline similar to other track days here in the same conditions. Turned on basic coaching and enabled optimizations for the three recommended turns the second session and dropped 2 full seconds. Turned on advanced coaching the third session and dropped about another half second.

The difference between coaching and advanced coaching so far is that it makes more recommendations in advance for turns you haven’t opted to optimize opportunities for — and it goes into some more detail like braking for less time or more time.
One more session for the day but the marine fog is rolling in so I expect some slower lap times.

The in ear coaching with one half of AirPods is perfect, and post session review was super easy to digest, really impressed so far."
LagunaFanatic (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 02:39 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been using the Catalyst the past 2 days here at WSIR. The real time coaching with immediate feedback is helpful and sometimes funny. When you do a great job it says: "that's your best". When you do well, so like a B: "good job". When you do sort of ok, a C+ effort: "above average" and when you don't do it well, so a D: "keep trying". Without OBD/CAN data it can't tell the difference between a lift and braking, so sometimes it makes braking suggestions in areas where you aren't supposed to lift. Like going in to turn 8 it suggested softer braking, which really translates "lift less" or maintain WOT. Combining with the Vbox video and data I was able to drop almost 3 seconds from my previous best time despite the almost 100 degree temps! Overall a very effective tool that is so attractive because of the simplicity of set up and use.

Turn 9 suggestion for Turn in and Apex
The following 6 users liked this post by SanDiegoDavid:
LagunaFanatic (09-21-2020), Martin S. (09-20-2020), MattUF (09-20-2020), paradocs98 (09-20-2020), ProCoach (09-20-2020), Roarke (09-20-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:17 AM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When I first saw the title of the thread I sort of chuckled to myself thinking Garmin was a fish out of water in the HPDE/motorsports world who probably make some hokey device with outdated UI...boy was I wrong! If I'm being rational, I currently don't track enough to justify the cost of one but I sure as hell want one!
paradocs98 (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:57 AM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 102 Posts

It looks like the camera mount is with tape.

How does that work moving from car to car?
Old 09-20-2020, 01:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Great info...Strong Testimonial

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid
I've been using the Catalyst the past 2 days here at WSIR. The real time coaching with immediate feedback is helpful and sometimes funny. When you do a great job it says: "that's your best". When you do well, so like a B: "good job". When you do sort of ok, a C+ effort: "above average" and when you don't do it well, so a D: "keep trying". Without OBD/CAN data it can't tell the difference between a lift and braking, so sometimes it makes braking suggestions in areas where you aren't supposed to lift. Like going in to turn 8 it suggested softer braking, which really translates "lift less" or maintain WOT. Combining with the Vbox video and data I was able to drop almost 3 seconds from my previous best time despite the almost 100 degree temps! Overall a very effective tool that is so attractive because of the simplicity of set up and use.

'
Taking 3 seconds off your best time at Willow Springs is HUGE. CONGRATULATIONS. Turn 8 into 9 is one of the scariest turns in our Western tracks most of us will ever experience. I just love the Catalyst feedback you are getting. I can hardly wait for Catalyst to whisper in my ear, "That's your best", or even "Good job!". Turn 9 has been giving me grief for as long as I can remember.

I couldn't make it this weekend, but plan on being there October 10/11, AROSC is at Willow Springs. I plan on doing that one, and then coming back on 10/16 with PCA CCCR for a day. I have the Catalyst I got from Peter Krause. I have also ordered the suction cup mount for the camera, to make moving the unit from one car to another a cinch. I anticipate sharing the unit with my pals wherever possible. I want everyone to be as good as they can be.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SanDiegoDavid

that is a pretty interesting observation...
Old 09-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
'
Taking 3 seconds off your best time at Willow Springs is HUGE. CONGRATULATIONS. Turn 8 into 9 is one of the scariest turns in our Western tracks most of us will ever experience. I just love the Catalyst feedback you are getting. I can hardly wait for Catalyst to whisper in my ear, "That's your best", or even "Good job!". Turn 9 has been giving me grief for as long as I can remember.

I couldn't make it this weekend, but plan on being there October 10/11, AROSC is at Willow Springs. I plan on doing that one, and then coming back on 10/16 with PCA CCCR for a day. I have the Catalyst I got from Peter Krause. I have also ordered the suction cup mount for the camera, to make moving the unit from one car to another a cinch. I anticipate sharing the unit with my pals wherever possible. I want everyone to be as good as they can be.
I have the suction cup also - which is excellent and I think a better "permanent" solution than the OEM "sticky" mount - I'd be tempted though to buy a 2nd camera, or at least camera cable if switching between
cars since you really want to "permanently" route the cable from the camera to the head unit around the edge of your windshield...

Another dilemma that I have experienced is mounting the head unit in my car (2018 911 GT3), as there are a lot of variables to satisfy:
- the mount cannot impinge on the calibration zone of the camera (think strike zone) - but this is not a huge problem
- the head unit needs a clear view of the "sky" in order to acquire GPS satellite signals
- the head unit should probably be within reach of the driver in order to start/stop unit
- head unit should be easily visible in order to see visual feedback of current vs best lap time
- mount and head unit should not really seriously obscure driver sight lines...

decisions decisions

can wait to see what the unit does for me at Sears Friday

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching