Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 08:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I may have my initial stock order Friday at VIR for NASA and shipping out shortly thereafter. For sure Monday

Will offer mount and power cable options for a variety of fitments. Important for dedicated track cars.

It records at 4.5 GB-5 GB/ hour, so typical DE weekend could be done on a 16 GB and for sure a 32 GB card.

WRL, AER, Chump Car endurance races would be good candidates for the second card.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-07-2020 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Add endurance venues
Old 09-08-2020, 03:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,347 Posts

just got mine and did the un-box (it did not arrive in time for me to take it to Sears today)

a few immediate details of note:

- you can upload your data to the Garmin Connect cloud (if you choose)
- it comes with a 32Gb microSD installed, but you can also install & replace with 2x128Mb cards
- is wifi enabled
- is bluetooth enabled (for headphones if you wish to use the in-car coach)
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- additional USB ... I wonder if this means it can support another camera?
- supports multiple profiles

- a minus in my opinion is that the camera mount is a permanent "sticky" mount, *and* the camera is *wired* (and not wifi/bluetooth) to the camera

more later...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 09-08-2020 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DHI (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Gamain Package

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
just got mine and did the un-box (it did not arrive in time for me to take it to Sears today)

a few immediate details of note:

- you can upload your data to the Garmin Connect cloud (if you choose) +++
- it comes with a 32Gb microSD installed, but you can also install & replace with 2x128Mb cards +++
- is wifi enabled +++
- is bluetooth enabled (for headphones if you wish to use the in-car coach) +++, Intend to use this feature.
- 3.5mm headphone jack +++ for those with headphones.
- additional USB ... I wonder if this means it can support another camera? I have read through the Tech Specs several times...as I recall there is mention of supporting an additional camera...
- supports multiple profiles N/A for me...I am the only one driving my car

- a minus in my opinion is that the camera mount is a permanent "sticky" mount...could be a +++, I have had a windshield mount fail, I know others who have also experienced this.

*and* the camera is *wired* (and not wifi/bluetooth) to the camera. For me, I'd rather have Bluetooth, but wired is just fine.

more later...
. Please, tell us more. Peter Krause will be distributing these units. If he likes them, I like them.

It is my perception that this device has the capability to revolutionize our sport. Aspiring drivers who have been reluctant to adopt data analysis, from the entry-level such as HarryLap Time, and Track Addict to the more complex AiM systems on Race Studion 2/3. The apparent utter simplicity and integration of desirable features will be very appealing to a broad market...I would think. And all of this for $995. One would need only to buy Bluetooth headphones.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
. Please, tell us more. Peter Krause will be distributing these units. If he likes them, I like them.

It is my perception that this device has the capability to revolutionize our sport. Aspiring drivers who have been reluctant to adopt data analysis, from the entry-level such as HarryLap Time, and Track Addict to the more complex AiM systems on Race Studion 2/3. The apparent utter simplicity and integration of desirable features will be very appealing to a broad market...I would think. And all of this for $995. One would need only to buy Bluetooth headphones.
I agree with you, I have previously used ApexPro and Harry's but I find that despite being "computer savvy" (its my job after all) managing all the data/telemetry and interpreting it is a real PITA and a barrier to adoption...

what I like about this unit is that it is "all in one" (well except for OBDII CANBUS integration to capture things like ethrottle and brake steering input etc) it has HF GPS for positioning and the necessary accelerometers to measure velocity, and then it couples that with interpretive s/w
to provide the driver with feedback that is easily interpreted, as well as the ability to tie together your virtual ideal lap ....

I cant wait to try it out on the track - I'm only bummed that it didn't come in time for me to take it to Sears today
Old 09-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

interesting - its an Android O.S device...
Old 09-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

I'm interested in the Garmin Connect use. I have that for my VivoSmart4 watch. It's a pretty good app (except when they had the whole ransomware thing ) If they can put the driving data with the HR, HRV, etc, The video quality on a computer/TV is also interesting. I haven't heard many reports of them in the wild yet and no on track reviews.
9912B (09-09-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 05:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

- a minus in my opinion is that the camera mount is a permanent "sticky" mount, *and* the camera is *wired* (and not wifi/bluetooth) to the camera

more later...
Great post. Always love an unboxing. My demo came jumbled. Not a virgin!

The kits that I sell will offer two options substituted for the standard kit.

One of them is a $15 suction cup mount for the Catalyst camera, instead of the sticky mount. The ssticky mount is fine for permanent installs, but not for dual duty cars or going from car to car for instructor and friend-lending situations.

The other is the $25 hard wire power cable, more suitable for track only cars.

Of course, I will have more robust roll bar mounts for the Catalyst unit for cars with cages and downtubes, as well as AMPS mounts for bolting to a panel on the dash, if people want to go that route.

Originally Posted by Martin S.

It is my perception that this device has the capability to revolutionize our sport.

Aspiring drivers who have been reluctant to adopt data analysis, from the entry-level such as HarryLap Time, and Track Addict to the more complex AiM systems on Race Studion 2/3.

The apparent utter simplicity and integration of desirable features will be very appealing to a broad market...I would think. And all of this for $999. One would need only to buy Bluetooth headphones.
Or use earbuds from your phone, keep the phone in your pocket and connect to the Catalyst for real-time verbal coaching feedback, available on several levels for differing measures (speed, lat g, long g), or you can turn it off.

Knowing what I know, and having sold and supported JUST THIS TECHNOLOGY for the last sixteen years, everything from the Apex Pro to the top-level MoTeC systems, there is a chasm in the USABILITY of this technology for the track day, DE and club racing driver doing their OWN work coaching themselves. Some are easier than others, but none incorporate the ability to generate goals and objectives, much less generate relevant and vetted verbal cues, based on the measures logged. This IS a different beast, one where the technology DOESN'T get in the way of getting actionable information right away.

Does it do everything? Of course not. But it does the most important thing most people who make the investment in data and video logging equipment want. Optimize their own driving, with RESULTS! It's a deal for what it does.

I agree with you, I have previously used ApexPro and Harry's but I find that despite being "computer savvy" (its my job after all) managing all the data/telemetry and interpreting it is a real PITA and a barrier to adoption...

what I like about this unit is that it is "all in one" (well except for OBDII CANBUS integration to capture things like throttle and brake steering input etc) it has HF GPS for positioning and the necessary accelerometers to measure velocity, and then it couples that with s/w to provide the driver with feedback that is easily interpreted, as well as the ability to tie together your virtual ideal lap ....
I agree that managing some of the more complex, less intuitive software is a big drain on the available time and motivation of most users. Even file management (downloading data and video, sometimes from different devices on different media) can be a big challenge. Drivers have a lot of other things to do, and don't need more items on the checklist for a track day, race or weekend.

The self-contained aspect of this system. software and the fact that NO OTHER HARDWARE or laptop is required, is HUGE. It's all there, and accessible by someone who doesn't even need to know how to navigate Windows, Mac OS, Android or iOS. The touch interface is great. You can be a non-RTFM fool and be up and running in a short period of time. Even has installation tips, tricks and a guide on the touchscreen on start up!

Lastly, I know from almost two decades of daily experience that you don't need throttle, brake or steering to optimize the driver. While it's nice to have, and can validate WHY and HOW you are seeing the result in the forces acting on the car, the end result is all that is important for coaching, in my experience.

The first calculated measure I ever used in Race Technology with the DL-1 and then later, with the Traqmate, was the theoretical best (or ideal) lap. The Traqmate is the ONLY other device ever besides this one (and soon the VBOX in Circuit Tools 2), that will stitch together the ideal lap, one that YOU did, in video.

We can debate the efficacy of how the ideal is constructed and that "it's not possible," but the AI and the analytical ability of the Garmin Catalyst to evaluate, include or reject outlying segment beginnings and ends to come up with a BETTER ideal, one that is vetted and possible, is key and eliminates those arguments.

I know and have known tens of thousands of drivers who pound around and around, over and over again, and come in saying "I was driving better, harder, faster" only to realize in conventional data and video review that they were at the same performance level.

This fixes that...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-08-2020 at 05:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
bbinder (09-15-2020), DHI (09-08-2020), Martin S. (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I cant wait to try it on track .... hey Peter I'd love one of those suction camera mounts BTW
Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I cant wait to try it on track .... hey Peter I'd love one of those suction camera mounts BTW
Larry, PM me. Will get you straight.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:09 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Is there a bluetooth compatible helmet out there yet? I love the built in ear buds for my radio.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good hands
Is there a bluetooth compatible helmet out there yet? I love the built in ear buds for my radio.
not that I am aware of...
Old 09-08-2020, 08:36 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got mine delivered today. The sticky camera mount is not an issue IMHO. Camera is very small and advice to mount it high and central means behind the rear view mirror where it is invisible to the driver. Cord routes behind the windshield trim invisibly. Camera can snap off when not in use leaving a tiny ~1/2" post hidden behind the mirror. Comes with a second sticky mount if second car is an issue or if I screw up the first install. More mounts are available at minimal cost.

Will get to try it in 2 weeks at the Nordstern PCA event at Brainerd and later in October at Road America with Badger Bimmers OctoberFAST.

Mike

ProCoach (09-08-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

not that I am aware of...
MPOW M30 BT earbuds are reported to work well.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:45 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 246 Posts

I understand the very exciting coaching aspects of the device, and it’s worth every penny just for that, but can you also use it to simply record and download a full HPDE session, along with normal data such as a track map; speed; rpm; gear selection; accelerator/brake usage; g-meter, etc, to say YouTube?
Old 09-09-2020, 12:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebishman
I understand the very exciting coaching aspects of the device, and it’s worth every penny just for that, but can you also use it to simply record and download a full HPDE session, along with normal data such as a track map; speed; rpm; gear selection; accelerator/brake usage; g-meter, etc, to say YouTube?
agreed

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching