Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 06:03 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Ego is a great motivator.
I like the idea of the heads-up visuals, but maybe not an entire car? My imagined reality of that seems somehow too distracting. Maybe just quickly, faint-appearing lines and flashes of red for brake zone ?

I too dislike the fact that a 991RS can basically take dogsh*t lines and still be quicker, but I assure myself I'm having more fun or something.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:04 PM
afrancke
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
VBOX shows the “ghost car” as the reference for EVERY lap, and allows instant, auto-synced video,throttle, brake and other data from one SD card. That’s why Porsche uses VBOX...
It is useful to watch the VBOX video side-by-side after, and I'm happy I have it. Still, VBOX doesn't render this live in-car (or does any system that I'm aware of - i.e. no HUD/augmented reality device to support such a thing). This was the nature of my fanciful wish-list suggestion for Garmin (or any system offering live coaching rather than just data acquisition). This might seem like a pipe dream, and maybe it wouldn't work out as well in practice as in concept, but I don't think its technological basis is far in the future.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:08 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
I too dislike the fact that a 991RS can basically take dogsh*t lines and still be quicker, but I assure myself I'm having more fun or something.
This is getting a little off topic here... but there's a guy in my run group with a GT4 on slicks and he's faster than most of the 991 RS's are. You've got a GT4 right? Those RS's are fantastic but they're not magic and there is IMMENSE satisfaction from earning a point-by from one while driving a lesser car.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 06:12 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 516 Posts

This is getting a little off topic here... but there's a guy in my run group with a GT4 on slicks and he's faster than most of the 991 RS's are. You've got a GT4 right? Those RS's are fantastic but they're not magic and there is IMMENSE satisfaction from earning a point-by from one while driving a lesser car.
No doubt at all. I'm on slicks with proper track setup and some go-fast bits, and usually get past a good number of RS's. Hence the snarky line comment. Equivalent driver in the RS will stomp their GT4 time if only because of the delta on the straights. And totally agree that the GT4 is far more engaging on track. Driven the 991s and instructed folks in them, and they really do just make it nearly impossible to be terrible. Gotta still earn some of your bragging rights, but not like you do in the GT4. But yes, back to topic . . .
The following users liked this post:
Wild Weasel (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 06:45 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Yay! My cage mount is on the way!

Estimated delivery date:
Thursday, May 13, 2021 by 8:00 pm

Old 05-11-2021, 12:16 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

HOLY CRAP!!! Ok.. so I've had my Catalyst since October but haven't had a chance to use it yet so I'm really not all that familiar with it.
So... I just plugged it in to do some updates. No big deal. I've done this before.
It does an update and finishes. I start it up and there's another one waiting.
I do the next update and it finishes.
Oh... my wife is about 15 feet away from me on a conference call.
I start it up and it starts playing a video AT FULL VOLUME!!! GAH!!!
I have no idea how to stop it... or where the volume controls are... and this thing is LOUD!!!
It's playing an ad for the Catalyst.
I yank the cord out and run away with it as fast as I can!!
Geez!!! Thanks Garmin! Like... I already bought one. I don't need the ad. But also... hey... neat!
Old 05-11-2021, 12:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yes, and both Frank and I told you the volume controls were on the top. Also, you can click the video and turn the auto-play off so it doesn't do it again.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 05-11-2021, 12:49 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, and both Frank and I told you the volume controls were on the top. Also, you can click the video and turn the auto-play off so it doesn't do it again.
Yeah... I found it later. In the moment though I was in full panic mode.
Old 05-11-2021, 02:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yeah... I found it later. In the moment though I was in full panic mode.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:13 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I have mounted mine up. ( tied to knee bar behind dash with roll bar mount) Almost all set... found a male/ male 3.5mm cable to go from garmin to trac-com and use my imsa plug direct into my helmet.. but can’t find the setting so the sound goes to headphones vs speakers on the unit. ?
Old 05-17-2021, 08:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GPA951s
I have mounted mine up. ( tied to knee bar behind dash with roll bar mount) Almost all set... found a male/ male 3.5mm cable to go from garmin to trac-com and use my imsa plug direct into my helmet.. but can’t find the setting so the sound goes to headphones vs speakers on the unit. ?
Should be under audio under the setup process.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:55 AM
ariotofcolor
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Evidently there are volume related issues there. I have a similar cable but haven’t tried it yet as a result. Instead Peter recommends a Bluetooth receiver like MPOW and a short cable from the receiver to integrated comms cable. Also by Tracomm. Tried that on my Stilo and volume is good. There’s a good Facebook group for Q&A on this, too. Check it out, called Garmin Catalyst Users I think.

Last edited by ariotofcolor; 05-17-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep. There is and always has been an issue with the output volume to integral coms inside Stilo and Roux helmets (although I have seen reports by some satisfied users). Initially, there was an output volume limiter to prevent hearing loss from being too loud, and that was too low. It's since been raised in subsequent updates.

I have always recommended, for those wishing to use this device with integral helmet earspeakers, a small Bluetooth receiver velcroed to the helmet with a short RaceCom jumper. I think Rob Cohen was the first to try this and it was on his recommendation I tested this combination. For whatever reason, the auto output stage on the BT receiver is enough to work fine in stock cars, GT3 R's, Cup cars and open sports racing cars. It's just a good, reliable combination, as long as you keep the BT receiver charged.

The big limitation now is integrating the output stage of anything, including the Catalyst, with already installed IMSA, Motorola and other two-way radio system harnesses. On some, it works. On others, feedback, squeal and static occur when people use the two-way radio with the Catalyst piped in and wired directly to the earspeaker hot and ground leads. This may have to do with common or lifted (separate) grounds on the mic, versus the earspeaker. There is, for a fact, impedance inconsistencies in the helmet hardware and the output stage of audio devices feeding the radio harnesses.

So far, all the best minds in the field, Joe Marko, Toto Lasally among others, including extensive testing on my own, have not come up with a UNIVERSALLY working solution that works with EVERY two way radio installation when adding the Catalyst.

Not done looking for one yet....
Old 05-17-2021, 06:26 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Ok figured out how to “make her talk” while I’m in my shop... Here is the abridged version... nothing really worked, going to the trac-com using my IMSA plug etc.no Bueno... . EXCEPT. A cheap pair of skullcandy earbuds. Works Great... I guess I only need her in my ear for practice and DE anyhow...

Old 05-18-2021, 07:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ok figured out how to “make her talk” while I’m in my shop... Here is the abridged version... nothing really worked, going to the trac-com using my IMSA plug etc.no Bueno... . EXCEPT. A cheap pair of skullcandy earbuds. Works Great... I guess I only need her in my ear for practice and DE anyhow...
Yep. That was the first accessory I bought for mine. SkullCandy Jib+

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching