Sponsored by:

Garmin Automated Coaching

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Where was the DE? One group here had to move there event because the track was being used as a mass vaccination site!
Mosport. Whole province is going back into lockdown.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Mosport. Whole province is going back into lockdown.
IMSA just cancelled up there too. We are supposed to go in Sept, but I don't think it's going to happen. It's getting harder and harder for people to cross the boarder.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:31 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
IMSA just cancelled up there too. We are supposed to go in Sept, but I don't think it's going to happen. It's getting harder and harder for people to cross the boarder.
If you can at least get the car across, I'd be happy to drive it for you.
The following users liked this post:
Difool (04-11-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:16 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Does anyone have flat style headphones they can recommend that don’t take up much space?
Currently using a Bell helmet that doesn’t support integrated audio or have much space in the ear pad area.
Unfortunately, I cannot use ear buds due to the need for hearing aids.

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:30 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BF951
Does anyone have flat style headphones they can recommend that don’t take up much space?
Currently using a Bell helmet that doesn’t support integrated audio or have much space in the ear pad area.
Unfortunately, I cannot use ear buds due to the need for hearing aids.

Thank you.
Yes there are a number of good options but all would be built into your helmet. I personally like a hardwired helmet coupled with a Bluetooth device back to the Garmin. Peter Krause stocks many of the parts and adapters to use with the Catalyst Advanced Coach audio.

I am anxiously awaiting compatibility with the Trac-Com Chaser
https://competitionmotorsport.com/tr...follow-package

Peter Website
http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2...C/Welcome.html

Old 04-13-2021, 09:51 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Tried the Garmin for a day. I never got more than 8 laps at a time. Does your Garmin talk to you? When I start up the device I can here the tone via bluetooth to my airpods. Occasionally my garmin will say "good job." I heard that 2 or 3 times in 3 sessions. It never says brake early, apex later or any preemptive coaching. I'm not that good a driver so I would expect it to talk to me. How many laps does the Garmin need before it starts talking to me? At the end of a session it does have 3 opportunities but I don't find that out until after I'm off track.

Is there a relationship between laptime and "optimal" lap time? For example if the Delta is 5 seconds implies an inconsistent driver? Delta 1 second implies? Delta 1/2 second implies Ferrari will be calling you?
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Tried the Garmin for a day. I never got more than 8 laps at a time. Does your Garmin talk to you? When I start up the device I can here the tone via bluetooth to my airpods. Occasionally my garmin will say "good job." I heard that 2 or 3 times in 3 sessions. It never says brake early, apex later or any preemptive coaching. I'm not that good a driver so I would expect it to talk to me. How many laps does the Garmin need before it starts talking to me? At the end of a session it does have 3 opportunities but I don't find that out until after I'm off track.

Is there a relationship between laptime and "optimal" lap time? For example if the Delta is 5 seconds implies an inconsistent driver? Delta 1 second implies? Delta 1/2 second implies Ferrari will be calling you?
Have to enable "Advanced Race Coach" under audio settings. It will talk a lot more then. Three laps and it should talk to you.

I find the post-session opportunities (and each of the four tabs under EACH of the three opportunities) a good road map to work off of.

I struggled in the beginning not being able to compare the "best" lap with the optimal, which is usually better. This was until I realized that to do better, I needed to do tight groups for a good three or five lap average.

Delta of five seconds means you had one flyer in an an otherwise unremarkable performance, not enough laps to get a good sample, or you're just not very consistent. Delta one second means the opportunities will help you get that second.

Half a second means you're driving to a comfort level and stopping there, not asking any more of the car, or you're Cameron Lawrence and you're on pole in front of 55 other cars. And Cameron found four-tenths to his optimal useful to get there.

I love you, man. But you have to do a little homework and set yourself up to succeed. It's not going to work magic, but it will tell you how to get better and what you are doing to get better.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (04-14-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 01:37 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
. It's not going to work magic, but it will tell you how to get better and what you are doing to get better.
thanks for your reply. I see the potential in the device. I’m electronically challenged. When the power goes out I wait for my kid to stop the clocks flashing on our devices.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Still, it’s the least technically challenging device out there, right now.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:34 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 701 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Still, it’s the least technically challenging device out there, right now.
LOL, I have to agree with Peter here. We had a customer that was having issues with understanding the simplicity of an Apex Pro - he didn't get the concept how to make the app work when he's in the car. So we tried the Garmin - he loved it. We helped him set it up and from there, he was good all weekend. (I fully expect a call next time he goes to the track, but that's OK). VERY simple. And he improved all weekend at a track he's driven a million times.

For those that comment (or dare I say complain) about "this device doesn't do XYZ"...practically every single function you want is covered by one of the main devices out there: AiM, VBox, Apex Pro, and Garmin. Not every device does everything, but some come close, you just need to pay for it. I'm amazed sometimes that people want to pay for the cheapest device, but want the options and functionality of the most expensive system available. (ok, I shouldn't be amazed). It doesn't work like that, and that's why some people have multiple devices in their cars...The best option for you all depends on how you learn. Squiggly lines may mean nothing to you, but everything to someone else. Maybe lights work for you, maybe video, maybe verbal coaching. Whatever works, I think all of us that sell devices and coaching just want to see people get the most of the devices and time they buy, and have it translate into measurable driving improvements. Regardless of the device they buy.

Everyone here on Rennlist, and on places like the Facebook pages, have access to enough free advice and information that they should never be buying the wrong thing for them. If you have questions, reach out either publicly or privately. I could care less what you buy as long as it works for you. I had a guy that was set on a Garmin this past weekend, came right to our tent to just buy it. We talked, Nadine sat with him to find out what he really wanted to get out of it, and learn a little bit about how he learned and what made sense, and he ended up buying an Apex Pro instead. He was very happy - may still get the Garmin in the future, but for now, the Apex Pro did exactly what he wanted.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following 3 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
BF951 (04-14-2021), ProCoach (04-14-2021), purcell21 (04-24-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 04:58 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Per the FB group it looks like the software update to overlay video is rolling out today.

The following 3 users liked this post by MattUF:
burnergt4 (04-15-2021), dgrobs (04-15-2021), Martin S. (04-16-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 04:59 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by MattUF
Per the FB group it looks like the software update to overlay video is rolling out today.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXgz__...YnPTUneMKNulMw
Wait, what FB group? Link ?
Old 04-15-2021, 05:00 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jreifler
Wait, what FB group? Link ?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6471...898/?ref=share
Old 04-15-2021, 05:08 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,492 Likes on 799 Posts

Last edited by flsupraguy; 04-15-2021 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:11 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

That's a big wish they just checked off everyone's list 🙌🏼

Quick Reply: Garmin Automated Coaching