Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013 | 12:35 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

It couldn't have happened at high speed because (a) the car came to rest 20-30 feet from the point of impact and (b) both halves of the car were right next to each other.

If this was truly a high speed accident, then the debris field would be all the way down the block and the front and rear of the car would have been flung off in different directions far from the point of impact.
Old 12-02-2013 | 12:42 PM
TTKan
Pro

A couple of the articles I have read on this terrible tragedy have made reference to the fact that the Porsche Carrera GT is a notoriously difficult car to handle. Is this the prevailing view among those who know? Is it the 600+ HP or something else? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.
Old 12-02-2013 | 12:52 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTKan
A couple of the articles I have read on this terrible tragedy have made reference to the fact that the Porsche Carrera GT is a notoriously difficult car to handle. Is this the prevailing view among those who know? Is it the 600+ HP or something else? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.
Anything that scares the crap out of Walter Rohrl, even if his concerns were with the pre-traction control CGT, has to be approached with extreme caution, IMHO.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-02-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-02-2013 | 12:57 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Now theres talk of a potential street race.

Ultimately it just goes to show that even a skilled driver in top notch equipment isn't infallible. A momentary lapse of judgement could change everything.
Old 12-02-2013 | 01:05 PM
Terminator
Track Day

Remember this one in Vancouver back in Dec 04,, a low speed throttle blip and spun out on top of the median,,,

Old 12-02-2013 | 01:24 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

R.I.P. Paul and Roger. Very sad that two families have lost a member, regardless of what caused it.
Hopefully they will discover the cause soon, so all the speculations can be put to rest also.
Old 12-02-2013 | 01:25 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Damn... just saw this on NBC, one of those midday "entertainment" shows. Didn't find out about this till just now. I immediately logged on to Rennlist while at work in my little cubicle to see if anyone had posted anything and found this thread.

There's so many smart people on Rennlist. I read through all the posts on this thread and have only come to one conclusion, it's just a very sad situation and we will probably never know exactly what happened and why it happened.

As others have commented, conjecture, yes. But to know precisely what, how and why? We will probably only guess.

Bottom line is I plan to drive even more carefully when I leave work tonight in my 993. After seeing the pics of the accident, I'm pretty upset like others here for their families and for those in the crash. Tough way to have to leave this world.
Old 12-02-2013 | 01:30 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

It's naive for you and anyone else to think that a passenger has so much control that they can simply demand a driver to suddenly stop driving irresponsibly and they will immediately comply, despite the best intentions. Nobody knows the circumstances that led up to and caused the accident, including whether or not Walker offered any protests to the driver. Even if Walker was encouraging the driver or didn't say anything at all, ultimately, there is only one person controlling a vehicle and everyone else is simply a passenger along for the ride. By your logic, we should blame passengers on planes for all the poor decisions made by pilots that led to crashes. Ridiculous.

As drivers, we all know there is a fine line between being in control and tragedy. When you are in a car, simply making everything stop as if flipping a light switch is absurd and out of touch with reality. Rather than cast blame and aspersions right now, we should allow the facts to come out and simply mourn the deaths of two people as a result of a terrible accident.

Originally Posted by windydog
Mark
I am more than happy to defend my statement:

When someone is driving like an idiot in the car one can simply say stop driving like this and let me out. He can also tell the driver to stop or I will call the police. There are many ways to get a driver to slow down. Especially if they have a family and you tell them what if: your wife or daughter. What if your mom or sister. This works very well.

A real friend would not put my life in danger for a thrill.

This is why in my opinion the passenger(s) share responsibility if nothing is said to the driver.

Sure its fun to go fast on a racetrack but that kind of driving is not responsible on the street.

Am I sad that two people died: Yes!
Am I happy no one else got hurt: Yes!

Just imagine if your loved ones got hurt by someone doing something stupid. You would feel helpless sad and mad.

How many times have we heard stories where drivers are egged on by passenger to "lets see what this car can do?"

Its ok to have differences of opinion but at the end of the day we are all:
dads
moms
brothers
sisters
husbands
wifes
kids
friends.
Old 12-02-2013 | 01:34 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
I have a question? If it was a steering failure i.e. losing pressure…Wouldn't you still have steering capabilities? Or on this car, would it lock?
You are correct , you would still have steering capability .
Old 12-02-2013 | 01:37 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by redleg321
I realize this topic is already full of contention. I'm not trying to add fuel to this fire so I'll just post this:

"Speed played a role in the one-car crash that killed "The Fast and the Furious" actor Paul Walker in Southern California on Saturday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said"

""Speed was a factor in the solo vehicle collision," the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement."

SOURCE: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,6107365.story

If the story had been something that I couldn't imagine and it turns out they were NOT being negligent, I would accept that evidence.

But come on, just look at that scene and the tire marks on the street, etc. How do you look at that and say they were driving responsibly? I'll back off with my strong language that I know offended some people (others I know it hasn't; I'm not the only guy on the internet with a sick sense of humor).

Why can't we just look at that accident and admit it was gross negligence? Or do we not trust the investigating authorities?

I pray for the families and loved ones of the deceased. It is a tragedy for them. However, I will not pretend the deceased were acting honorably or morally in the situation in which they died. I saw that **** in the military and I can't stand glorifying idiots/******** just because they died.

EDIT: I said I wouldn't use strong language and I ended with using "idiots/********". I apologize.
Right on bro.
Old 12-02-2013 | 01:47 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Godspeed to Paul and Roger.

Looking back at Jeremy Clarkson's CGT review is chilling. Start watching at 4:40.

The CGT apparently has a bite, so the slightest unexpected maneuver or disruption of traction from a manhole cover even at slow speeds accelerating could cause an uncontrollable spin, even for an expert driver.
Old 12-02-2013 | 02:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

CNN has a story where they mention that the marks.are from a different car as they are too narrrow. Also that this spot is known fro drag racing and someone called in that there was another car. Everyone is jumping to conclusions, lets just wait for the final police report yo be released. Same article is stating that there is no offical confirmaton who drove out of the two.
Old 12-02-2013 | 02:16 PM
spikej
Racer

Originally Posted by TMc993
I think most of us have done stupid things in powerful cars on public roads. I'd be willing to bet that most of have had that "Oh, ****!" moment when we realized that with 2-3 more MPH, that off camber curve, bump in the middle of a curve, or puddle that was deeper than we thought would have tossed us and our car into a ditch, ravine or stand of trees. Most of us get lucky. Occasionally, bad things happen. It's easy to label others' behavior as stupid or irresponsible, but it's a good idea to "take a long look in a mirror" before we do.

I feel for the families and friends.
+933

Often times, the only difference between them and us is luck.
Old 12-02-2013 | 02:24 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by David Salama
Godspeed to Paul and Roger.

Looking back at Jeremy Clarkson's CGT review is chilling. Start watching at 4:40.

Top Gear - Porsche Carrera GT VS Mercedes McLaren SLR - YouTube

The CGT apparently has a bite, so the slightest unexpected maneuver or disruption of traction from a manhole cover even at slow speeds accelerating could cause an uncontrollable spin, even for an expert driver.
I am genuinely sorry that 2 ( obviously well loved ) petrol heads have died in these circumstances .

However this borderline hysteria regarding the Carrera GT is getting beyond a joke now . I dont mean to be insulting in anyway shape or form but the above quote is ridiculous and Clarcksons comment is not chilling , its said for effect in an entertainment show and he is a self confessed idiot . Lets get a grip here .
Old 12-02-2013 | 02:31 PM
Wile
4th Gear

Great movies and also great guys what I've heard. It really can happen to anyone, anytime... Such a bad luck. First Sean Edwards and then this... R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
I have a question? If it was a steering failure i.e. losing pressure…Wouldn't you still have steering capabilities? Or on this car, would it lock?
Well I had this steering issue on my 210bhp Cooper S Works, suddenly it lost it's steering pressure but I could still steer it with using lots of muscle power, of course it scared me though. I assume it's no problem for experienced driver at low speeds. Of course totally different situation here with a truly powerful supercar, no traction on the steering wheels though. Somehow I don't believe in this steering case...

In Carrera GT the gasoline tank is in the middle of the car (just behind the seats). I believe the impact was on this area also, that's why the fire.

Anyway I don't want to make any theories but this case makes me very sad. I live in Europe and it wasn't the best way to start sunday just after waking up read the news. Still feeling confused.

Quick Reply: Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT