Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, i didnt read this thread, but has mechanical failure been ruled out yet?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Quad: Facts are that two young fathers died in a firey crash where speed was a factor.
Ok, how fast were they going columbo?

Is going over the speed limit irresponsible?

btw, the guy driving was a professional driver, which may have lead Walker to have a higher level of trust in his abilities.

Seriously, the judgments at this point are just silly.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Really sad event, may both the men involved RIP.

Somebody in the OT thread was wondering how the fire started and made what I thought was an interesting hypothesis that since the front hood looked intact (well not exactly intact...) that the first impact may have been on the side of the car, maybe splitting the side of the car and severing the fuel line. With the battery and fuel tank in the front, the fuel line might have been able to continue to run. At this point nobdy knows, but if that happened, is there nothing in the software or fuel system that would shut down the fuel pump if the volume goes over a certain amount i.e. severed line?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A firey crash where speed was a factor? I think we can all make a judgement (and express our opinion) on that one!

And "professional driver"? Apparently met his match and now there's one less in the world...and it's a real shame for both families!! I'll wait with interest any toxicology reports and won't offer an "opinion" there yet.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 AM
mickster
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the latest report, FWIW, from TMZ-certainly not the best when it comes to automotive coverage (unless it's Lindsay Lohan), there was a fluid leak from the front of the CGT and the skid marks were in a straight line. Speculation is power steering failure at speed...

http://www.tmz.com/2013/12/02/paul-w...on-fluid-leak/
Old 12-02-2013, 11:11 AM
redleg321
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WanderingPurist

Many here have STRONGLY stated, "there's no way that could have happened (at speeds under triple digits)" and others have gone so far as to call the deceased socially irresponsible, or worse ("idiots" comes to mind)

I wasn't there, I don't know what happened in this case. I was supposed to be there; I know several people who WERE there. And those who where there, and they are well qualified to judge speeds, and WERE THERE, told me the car wasn't going over 45, certainly not 100. They may be wrong. They may be lying.

But I DO KNOW that what is seen on the internet, in pictures, of the aftermath, CAN happen at speeds less than 45mph, if the impact is just right, something (like ruptured fuel tank?) caused a fire, and explosion (I fully realize not all auto fires result in explosions; in fact, most don't. In this case, by most accounts, it did.)

In fact, I KNOW results like these CAN happen at speeds of less than 40mph...to quote, "been there, done that."

I know of instances where a car was going THE POSTED SPEED and due to a broken suspension member or ruptured coolant line or fluid on the road or SOMETHING, went off the road at between 35-40MPH on a 35MPH posted turn, on a dry, sunny, warm day. To quote again, "been there, done that."

In this instance of the CGT, EYEWITNESSES told me they may ("were") on the throttle, and in that spot, not a good idea to be on the throttle (one eyewitness mentioned a pothole or manhole cover, but it was only one) but all were consistent in the estimate of speed - "no more than 45mph." This may or may not be accurate, or even true, but multiple independent EYEWITNESSES have told me this.

You could say that "being on the throttle" through that section of road was negligent or socially irresponsible; I can't argue that. Neither can anyone else, with any foundation, unless you know that particular stretch of road and witnessed the specific circumstances when the incident happened.

Regardless, all the armchair forensic experts here and elsewhere look at the pictures, and write, "there is NO WAY that happened at 45; more like (triple digits)"

And to this all I can write is, "been there, done that. it CAN happen at 45mph; even less than 40mph."

But I had sworn myself to stay out of this, until I read this -

"I refuse to run toward a fire caused by negligent idiots."

"Negligent idiots..." - seriously, I had promised myself I wouldn't comment again in this thread, on this topic, since it seemed those who would conclude what they wanted to conclude was going to conclude that, no matter WHAT anyone else or their experiences or eyes and ears said; it would be an exercise in futility to try to convince them otherwise. And I've already stated I wasn't there, so again, I can only go by my personal experiences in a somewhat similar situation - YES, IT CAN HAPPEN AT 35-40 MPH. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT.

Redleg321 - "negligent idiots...two idiots driving negligently."

I have many friends and family in the various services, including the shadows; some of them have died or been seriously injured in service to their country, some whose memories of those services are carried only by themselves and their brothers in arms. Their nation will never know, nor appreciate, their service. So again, for your service, thank you.

But for your judgemental narrowmindedness, I have to call you on that.

"you don't know the circumstances; and besides, NO ONE deserves this."
I realize this topic is already full of contention. I'm not trying to add fuel to this fire so I'll just post this:

"Speed played a role in the one-car crash that killed "The Fast and the Furious" actor Paul Walker in Southern California on Saturday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said"

""Speed was a factor in the solo vehicle collision," the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement."

SOURCE: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,6107365.story

If the story had been something that I couldn't imagine and it turns out they were NOT being negligent, I would accept that evidence.

But come on, just look at that scene and the tire marks on the street, etc. How do you look at that and say they were driving responsibly? I'll back off with my strong language that I know offended some people (others I know it hasn't; I'm not the only guy on the internet with a sick sense of humor).

Why can't we just look at that accident and admit it was gross negligence? Or do we not trust the investigating authorities?

I pray for the families and loved ones of the deceased. It is a tragedy for them. However, I will not pretend the deceased were acting honorably or morally in the situation in which they died. I saw that **** in the military and I can't stand glorifying idiots/******** just because they died.

EDIT: I said I wouldn't use strong language and I ended with using "idiots/********". I apologize.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

RIP to both. And my vote is against the condemnations. Both guys are dead, and your opinions don't mean much.

Stay safe, everybody.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:27 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
I realize this topic is already full of contention. I'm not trying to add fuel to this fire so I'll just post this:

"Speed played a role in the one-car crash that killed "The Fast and the Furious" actor Paul Walker in Southern California on Saturday, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said"

""Speed was a factor in the solo vehicle collision," the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement."

SOURCE: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,6107365.story

If the story had been something that I couldn't imagine and it turns out they were NOT being negligent, I would accept that evidence.

But come on, just look at that scene and the tire marks on the street, etc. How do you look at that and say they were driving responsibly? I'll back off with my strong language that I know offended some people (others I know it hasn't; I'm not the only guy on the internet with a sick sense of humor).

Why can't we just look at that accident and admit it was gross negligence? Or do we not trust the investigating authorities?

I pray for the families and loved ones of the deceased. It is a tragedy for them. However, I will not pretend the deceased were acting honorably or morally in the situation in which they died. I saw that **** in the military and I can't stand glorifying idiots/******** just because they died.

EDIT: I said I wouldn't use strong language and I ended with using "idiots/********". I apologize.
well said no need for you to apologize. it is the ask holes how say they were not their but they heard.....blahblahblh
Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

RIP
Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoRR
However I must tell everyone I am ashamed that for some reason my name has even been brought into this terrible situation.
Graham, don't beat yourself up about this. Not your fault. Your feelings are understandable and show kindness. People always love to talk about a car's prior ownership, especially when one is so rare and famous as a CGT, coupled with your family name and heritage just makes it even more compelling. Sorry.

RIP.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:43 AM
wtdoom
Pro

"We're told the $500,000 Carrera GT was NOT modified and was driven rarely so they believe any failure must be a factory defect."

Oh dear , here we go.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a question? If it was a steering failure i.e. losing pressure…Wouldn't you still have steering capabilities? Or on this car, would it lock?
Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pazzo009
I have a question? If it was a steering failure i.e. losing pressure…Wouldn't you still have steering capabilities? Or on this car, would it lock?
i got 10 bucks that says it WAS NOT low speed,swamp gas,manhole cover,sun glare,power steering fluid,obama,coolant hoses,ims,rms. odds are driver error............the dude stayed on the gas too long and it took the lives of 2 people.as for any person filming it and not stopping to do at least something to aid humans......you suk
Old 12-02-2013, 12:19 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
"We're told the $500,000 Carrera GT was NOT modified and was driven rarely so they believe any failure must be a factory defect."

Oh dear , here we go.
oh boy, i can already see the ambulance chasers lining up.
Get ready Stuttgart.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
IMHO windydog is correct and this needs to be brought up too amongst all the RIPs. They both take personal responsibility...the passenger could, and should, have asked his "friend" to stop and apparently didn't.....but we'll never know. My guess is that we will discover speed way in excess of what could be called "pushing it a bit".

Too bad for their families, for sure, that they were both so irresponsible.
Walker likely had trust in his experienced friend. This is conjecture and not a fact.

Walker may have protested that Rodas was driving too fast for Walker's comfort level. This is conjecture and not a fact.

Walker may not have protested that Rodas was driving too fast for Walker's comfort level. This is conjecture and not a fact.

When I read stuff like this, I am reminded of the one time I was a juror in Baltimore County and how appalled I was at the lack of objectivity by a number of the other jurors.

Quick Reply: Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT