Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 08:54 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator
so sad,

checking the location, looks like they hit the lamp pole, took it down, split the car, ruptured gas tank, then settled against the small tree about 20 ft away,. it looks like they hit the pole on the drivers side

map..
http://goo.gl/maps/JUvjn

From the google street view, it looks like they clipped the street light pole (sign is on the ground) and it also looks like the car stopped on or very near the exposed natural gas line....which is odd in an of itself since even in my own garage I am required to have a protective post in front of the gas water heater and furnace.

Just reinforces the fact that none of us knows when our time is up.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog
its amazing that people are missing a car. what get me is why the hell where they driving so fast on a public street?

personally i blame both for driving to fast and getting themselves killed.

i am very happy that no innocent bystanders were hurt or killed. if someone drives like an idiot and kills themselves its no big loss.
Really? Can you please explain how a passenger can be blamed for driving too fast? Or was this the one-off, trust-fund-baby-driver's-ed-Carrera GT with two steering wheels, two transmissions and two sets of clutch, brake and throttle pedals?

Love to see how you spin this.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very sad to hear. Paul Walker was an entertaining actor and it seems he was a good guy.

A few years back there was a CGT that spun at Putnam Park on the short straight between turns 7 and 8. Turn 7 is the slowest corner on the track and the car probably wasn't going faster than 60mph.

That CGT similarly hit a stationary object broadside just behind the driver's door. The object was the photographer's rental car. I'd imagine the rental car sitting in park on grass would provide far more "give" than a narrow telephone pole. Even with the rental car likely absorbing some of the hit, the damage was deep enough to start a fire and about a quarter of the car burnt before an extinguisher arrived. Both the driver and the passenger walked away fine.

In that case, the track was damp and frankly the driver was a joke. He had already spun multiple times on the prior lap. What was interesting was that the spot where the CGT went off was considered about the least likely spot for a car to exit. He narrowly missed the corner worker's station in typical fashion is placed in a "safe" spot.

I've heard a few other stories from CGT owners that echo what Graham Rahal said about it being a beast to handle at speed. The instructor in the car mentioned above was a well-known and accomplished amateur racer who has piloted faster cars than the CGT. When I spoke to him after the wreck he discussed some different factors including skill, but also said "that car is a real beast to handle". It does make me wonder if there is something in the engineering of the chassis dynamics (maybe even the aerodynamics?) that makes the car bite back suddenly when pushed.

Anyway you look at it, objects like light poles and trees are every on public roads and they can result in pretty phenomenal damage even at what seems like moderate speeds. The worst stationary object you can hit is an object that is anchored and just wide enough to stay stationary. The force of the hit becomes so localized even a relatively slow hit can break a car in half. If they had hit a similarly immovable, but rather broad brick wall like that, their likelihood of survival would have been far greater. Don't hit a pole is what I'm trying to say.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drh
From the google street view, it looks like they clipped the street light pole (sign is on the ground) and it also looks like the car stopped on or very near the exposed natural gas line....which is odd in an of itself since even in my own garage I am required to have a protective post in front of the gas water heater and furnace.

There have been posts elsewhere on Rennlist that it is not gas line, it is water control valve of some sort.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM
500e2911TT
Track Day

Originally Posted by drh

I believe that's a backwater valve...
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good info Mac. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:13 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Jay Leno had spun his CGT as well, see this thread and discussion https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...arrera-gt.html
Old 12-01-2013, 09:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Just sad, period.

God knows I've done stupid things in a car and for some reason got lucky.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:21 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark
I am more than happy to defend my statement:

When someone is driving like an idiot in the car one can simply say stop driving like this and let me out. He can also tell the driver to stop or I will call the police. There are many ways to get a driver to slow down. Especially if they have a family and you tell them what if: your wife or daughter. What if your mom or sister. This works very well.

A real friend would not put my life in danger for a thrill.

This is why in my opinion the passenger(s) share responsibility if nothing is said to the driver.

Sure its fun to go fast on a racetrack but that kind of driving is not responsible on the street.

Am I sad that two people died: Yes!
Am I happy no one else got hurt: Yes!

Just imagine if your loved ones got hurt by someone doing something stupid. You would feel helpless sad and mad.

How many times have we heard stories where drivers are egged on by passenger to "lets see what this car can do?"

Its ok to have differences of opinion but at the end of the day we are all:
dads
moms
brothers
sisters
husbands
wifes
kids
friends.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Just sad, period.

God knows I've done stupid things in a car and for some reason got lucky.
This many times over. I always find it unfortunate that people who are far from innocent get on a high horse at times like this.

Thoughts go out to family and friends.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog
Mark
I am more than happy to defend my statement:

When someone is driving like an idiot in the car one can simply say stop driving like this and let me out. He can also tell the driver to stop or I will call the police. There are many ways to get a driver to slow down. Especially if they have a family and you tell them what if: your wife or daughter. What if your mom or sister. This works very well.

A real friend would not put my life in danger for a thrill.

This is why in my opinion the passenger(s) share responsibility if nothing is said to the driver.

Sure its fun to go fast on a racetrack but that kind of driving is not responsible on the street.

Am I sad that two people died: Yes!
Am I happy no one else got hurt: Yes!

Just imagine if your loved ones got hurt by someone doing something stupid. You would feel helpless sad and mad.

How many times have we heard stories where drivers are egged on by passenger to "lets see what this car can do?"

Its ok to have differences of opinion but at the end of the day we are all:
dads
moms
brothers
sisters
husbands
wifes
kids
friends.
Oh, okay, I see. Do you have video evidence that shows Paul Walker did not protest the ride and speed? Or is this your pure conjecture lacking in objectivity and fact? If conjecture, please enlighten us as to how you can you assert that Walker is to blame based on this assumption.

Sorry, you'll need to spin again to keep on playing.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 12-01-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The subject plumbing shown in pics was water, with a backflow preventer, as required in CA in recent construction years.

It is indeed sad. Nobody knows what happened, so to cast aspersions (as in the other post on this thread) is useless, and I doubt anyone here has not done something on the street that they shouldn't have.
agree++

the other poster was a complete *******.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Greer
2nd Gear

Very sad day for both families.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:06 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

damn watching the video of the accident...just a shame to know two ppl are burning in the car. No doubt this could happen to any of us taking our cars out for a ride. Just a shame.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Supra98
3rd Gear

RIP. Very sad

Quick Reply: Fast and Furious Paul Walker killed in CGT