Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 11:05 AM
eyeballs19
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have about 3K miles on my ‘23 4S EH ST, and REALLY like the car. I love the handling/ride, and the lack of low RPM turbo lag is a huge upgrade from most cars these days.

The only thing that I am questioning is the “coasting”, where the car kills the ICE instantly when you come off the accelerator. I find it annoying while commuting at highway speed in traffic. I want to use engine braking for those tiny speed adjustments as traffic speed fluctuates. I know that Sport keeps the ICE running, but I don’t need the more aggressive shift logic. And I know that Hybrid Auto in manual mode keeps the ICE running, so that is becoming my default, but isn’t ideal during a commute. I guess I want something in between Sport and Hybrid Auto. Is there a mode or setting I’m not aware of that can change the coasting behavior, keeping the ICE running during those brief lifts off the accelerator?
Old 10-04-2023, 11:14 AM
kennyboy993
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hybrid recharge mode keeps the ICE going without adding all the other sports stuff. I've set this as my individual setting for exactly the reasons you describe
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:26 AM
eyeballs19
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kennyboy993
Hybrid recharge mode keeps the ICE going without adding all the other sports stuff. I've set this as my individual setting for exactly the reasons you describe
Perfect! Thanks very much. I’ll give it a shot
kennyboy993 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:41 AM
kennyboy993
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds cool. To be more specific - hybrid recharge mode won't give you exactly what you're after...... if I read between the lines you're looking for a mode that still kills the ICE for perhaps low speed stuff so you can benefit from the electric motor though doesn't cut in as soon as you lift off at higher speed....... which I agree is annoying. That mode doesn't exist unfortunately.

Hybrid recharge will never kill the ICE though at least you can drive around with exhaust flaps closed, light steering, gentler shifts etc
Old 10-04-2023, 12:27 PM
eyeballs19
Cruisin'

...... if I read between the lines you're looking for a mode that still kills the ICE for perhaps low speed stuff so you can benefit from the electric motor though doesn't cut in as soon as you lift off at higher speed
You are exactly right. I kinda want a Sport Minus mode. More ICE, less hybrid, but not zero hybrid. But above all I want more control of the coasting behavior. Keep it at low speeds, kill it at high speeds. Or even better, leverage the camera/radar and only coast if there are no cars close.

As an aside, I actually enjoy switching between modes and playing with the different settings; gives the car an added level of engagement that I miss in most automatics (all my other cars are manuals). It is just this coasting that bugs me.
kennyboy993 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 01:19 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

You soon get used to the coasting. That is one reason it has brakes the size of a serving dish. You can save one mode to the diamond button on your steering wheel. When I am in mainland Europe, I have the button set to Hybrid Mode E-charge so that when on the Autoroutes, I can charge my battery up to be on either Hybrid Auto or E Mode when I come off the Autoroute. Over the winter in the UK, I am rarely on British Motorways, and our house is up at the end of a 3/4 mile long bumpy farm road, I have the diamond set to raised suspension mode.

Wilson
Old 10-05-2023, 02:46 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting perspective regarding the value and benefit of the ehybrid. I like the technology and related performance from the system. As others have stated, I can only imagine the cost of repair considering the technology. I will probably get rid of mine when it reaches the end of the extended warranty. I sold a Taycan 4S before purchasing this 4S EH. The Taycan was a fun “toy” but the range suffered at high speeds (56% of the reported mileage). IMO the Panamera 4S EH is way better, beautiful, and amazing to drive. The difference in weight to charging cost versus mileage doesn’t bother me. The difference is immaterial to the car driving experience IMO.
MKC91 (10-05-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 11:46 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds cool. To be more specific - hybrid recharge mode won't give you exactly what you're after...... if I read between the lines you're looking for a mode that still kills the ICE for perhaps low speed stuff so you can benefit from the electric motor though doesn't cut in as soon as you lift off at higher speed....... which I agree is annoying. That mode doesn't exist unfortunately.

Hybrid recharge will never kill the ICE though at least you can drive around with exhaust flaps closed, light steering, gentler shifts etc
Hybrid E-Charge may not be what he wants but maybe E-Hold? It does shut off at stops but tries to charge some while driving. Anyway try that one as well.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:59 PM
Brockoli64
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should look bigger picture. In a summer issue of Consumer Reports they evaluated maintenance and repair costs of cars. EV were the lowest but E-hybrid came in a close 2nd and much less expensive than ICE. You gotta figure, you're using the engine way less (and saving a bunch on gas too, which was not part of the calculation).
I really think E-Hybrid is the sweet spot right now.

I've also done extensive research on the battery replacement costs and given all the built in battery care technology I doubt very many Panamera EH batteries would need replacement before the care is in the dump. The battery should go 16-26 years the way the car uses it. That is, if you generally charge it to full (which is not really full) or close to full, then decharge it to empty (which is not empty) or close to empty. You should get 8000 charges.

The tech in your car will take care of the battery, just use it and have fun.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:28 PM
Brockoli64
AutoX

Highway Coasting:

I think what we all want is not to use the ENGINE to slow the car, but to automatically engage some Battery Charging to the point where it's the equivalent slowing force of an ICE engine. So we're not always creeping up on other cars.
I know some EV's have a setting where you can adjust the "engine braking" which is really battery charging, to the point where the car will literally slow down fast if you don't keep your foot on the accelerator. Like the cars at disneyland.
That would be a good feature, but personally I'm used to the coasting. You can always slightly press your brake and that will only charge the battery, not use the actual brakes to slow down.

But I feel you guys, I tend to leave more space between me and the car in front of me now because I know my car won't slow down as much in traffic.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:03 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Brockoli64
Highway Coasting:

I think what we all want is not to use the ENGINE to slow the car, but to automatically engage some Battery Charging to the point where it's the equivalent slowing force of an ICE engine. So we're not always creeping up on other cars.
I know some EV's have a setting where you can adjust the "engine braking" which is really battery charging, to the point where the car will literally slow down fast if you don't keep your foot on the accelerator. Like the cars at disneyland.
That would be a good feature, but personally I'm used to the coasting. You can always slightly press your brake and that will only charge the battery, not use the actual brakes to slow down.

But I feel you guys, I tend to leave more space between me and the car in front of me now because I know my car won't slow down as much in traffic.
No to be argumentative, but I'm on the other side of this issue. The coasting seems very natural to me, and having rented a Tesla a few weeks ago, the auto-generating/one pedal driving seemed very unnatural. Once you got the hang of it, you could pretty much get yourself stopped or slowed in traffic without the brake pedal, but it was (for me) something that needed near constant focus.

Granted, it's one of those things that could be natural feeling after lots of use, but the complete loss of actual COASTING bothered me. Yes, you could reduce the pedal until it was at some sort of neutral acceleration, but that's still paying a lot of attention compared to just letting your foot off the gas.

Like I said, not saying you are wrong, just saying that there's a reason Porsche made a specific decision not to have one pedal driving on any of their cars and I would count myself in on that. I don't drive (that much) to maximize regen braking, I just brake as needed. That seems more natural all in all.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:44 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe all Porsches with PDK type gearboxes using coasting (I think they call it sailing in the non-hybrid cars) mode as the default. I was driving a 992.1 Turbo S car a few months ago (wonderful made me lust to go back to a 911 Turbo. I love having the rear wheels just behind me rather than in a different post/zip code further behind, as on the Panamera) and as soon as you lifted off the accelerator, it coasted. I think it changed if you went into manual gearbox mode but as it would instantly change over if you used the paddles, just like the Panamera does, I did not bother.

Wilson
Old 10-13-2023, 10:35 AM
Av8ordoug
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I have read, you can’t overcharge the battery, (self-limiting to 90% charge), nor completely deplete it (limited to 90 % discharge).

Last edited by Av8ordoug; 10-13-2023 at 10:36 AM. Reason: 95% discharge
Old 10-23-2023, 05:54 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
You can save one mode to the diamond button on your steering wheel. When I am in mainland Europe, I have the button set to Hybrid Mode E-charge so that…
Tried this a few weeks back but it does not seem possible in my PCM6 enabled Panamera. The choice is simply not there in the menu. I am guessing your car is a PCM5 car and it would explain the difference.

/Mike
Old 10-23-2023, 07:21 PM
Brockoli64
AutoX

@ orca15
Not argumentative at all. I'm with you. I love the coasting. I think others were asking for that as an option, not for me though, brah.
I'm a scientist at heart and know my physics. I hate seeing anybody brake on the freeway, so wasteful. I wouldn't want any automatic regenerative braking unless it's by my choice.
orca15 (10-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread