Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 02:38 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Hello

I am selling my 970.2 S and considering buying a 2019 4 E-Hybrid with 80k km. It is being sold from a Porsche dealer in Germany so the car is great. I am only worried about the hybrid battery since it is my first hybrid. Got two questions:

- does extended warranty cover batteries?
- can you upgrade the battery to 2021 larger ones?

I am in a pretty warm climate with underground warm garages and free industrial charger in the office. I an wondering if I can cover my 42km daily commute on E power only.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old 10-31-2023, 02:27 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

The Porsche extended warranty I have (10 year 100K miles) does not cover the EV battery, but the original warranty does, for 8 years. I don't think anyone knows how long they really last, some here will say they will all go bad in 8 years, my dealer says he hasn't replaced but a small handful yet. He says charging on 110V (not your problem!) seems to be a common thread. There are a few of us here counting on the battery replacement industry to grow up by the time we need them. Some third party warranties do cover the battery. If I had to do it over I might have gotten one of those, but I got a pretty good deal on the warranty I got.

As far as range, the new (17kW) batteries go around 30 mi / 48km, so I doubt you will make it round trip in the 2019 battery. If you top off at work, should be no problem. No one has talked about upgrading the battery, it really wouldn't be cost effective. Still, on your drive, you'd get almost the whole way before she switched to Hybrid, so you'll end up with like 1-2 l/100km I bet. I'd worry a little if that's all the driving you do, running that engine 5 mins a day can't be great for it long term.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:26 PM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Thanks for the info, there’s nothing like the real life experience! Yes, I doubt I will manage to drive calmly on the E power alone. Usually it is home - kindergarten in granny mode and the racing mode to the office It just feels like a good idea to get a hybrid. Since I am buying it from a dealership and it went through the 111 test etc. I hope it should be fine.
Old 11-01-2023, 03:52 PM
Matt Shobe
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orca15
Like I said, not saying you are wrong, just saying that there's a reason Porsche made a specific decision not to have one pedal driving on any of their cars and I would count myself in on that. I don't drive (that much) to maximize regen braking, I just brake as needed. That seems more natural all in all.
I didn't realize the Taycan employs the same coasting model and it comes straight from Porsche engineering philosophy around kinetic energy preservation.

New 971 owner here - I recently traded my Model Y (my 3rd Tesla) for the superior driving experience of a 2018 4 e-hybrid, and un-learning one pedal driving has been my one real mental model gotcha. I was so good at it in my Model Y that I essentially never hit the brake pedal. You can absolutely do this, and it becomes a strong second nature.

I would think a track day in an e-hybrid would be tricky - finding the real grab point in the regen braking gradient consistently seems like a real challenge for an amateur racer like me. Anyone got track experience to share?

I plan a separate post with some of my observations as an all-electric driver "reverting" to hybrid, and about the Panamera generally, once I've got at least a month in the cockpit.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:29 PM
orca15
Pro

I tracked a 4SEH and from my perspective, again, it seems off-track (if you will excuse the pun) to even think about regeneration with the Panny. Just push the brake pedal as needed. I would be very surprised if any track braking did NOT involve the mechanical brakes. Just from driving around town the regen braking is only good in the same low-medium decel amplitude as on your Tesla one-pedal, if you need to BRAKE then the mechanicals come right in. Not that you feel it a whole bunch, but you see it on the meter.

Example - you are going 55 coming up to a light, 200 yards away you push medium hard on the brake pedal, you see 3-5 regen lights on meter. Like stepping off the Tesla one pedal. Then someone changes into your lane, so you hit the brake harder, you get a few more lights but the mechanicals basically take over.

IMO you are overthinking it. Sort of the beauty of the thing is you just do whatever you want -granny or Tasmanian Devil - and the Panny does what it needs from adding electric boost to hitting the brakes. The one exception, for me, is that in E-hybrid mode I sometimes take a little care not to start the engine, because it then automatically runs for a few minutes to warm up. Easy to do by watching the E meter and keep it from max-ing out. Other than that I let her handle it. And on the track you are going to be in Sport+ mode so the electric is really just there for extra HP. The engine will constantly use any excess power available to re-gen the battery for the next accel.

Last edited by orca15; 11-01-2023 at 04:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Shobe (11-01-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 02:11 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Quick question I didn’t find an answer so far - does it warm the engine while running in E power? Basically, in colder mornings is it better to start on E power or warm up the engine?
Old 11-02-2023, 06:28 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

It does not warm the engine in E mode and if the ambient temperature is below freezing, it will start the ICE immediately. On a cold morning but above freezing for a short run, it is far kinder to run on electric power only rather than starting a cold engine and not fully warming it to get rid of condensation in oil and engine. The range will decrease considerably on electric with car, seat and window heaters running. The battery also warms itself up. In winter my range is usually around 18 miles.

Wilson

PS word of warning. If the car has been sitting for two weeks or so and the temperature is low, the 12V service battery may well have fallen below 12V at which point the computers will not initialise and nothing will happen apart from a service immediately warning, when you switch on. Depending on how low the service battery is, you may need to connect to a battery charger or lithium starter pack from a few seconds to half an hour or so before there is sufficient voltage to initialise the computers. I now leave a Noco lithium starter pack in my boot over the winter, as this is more convenient than having to plug in a charger, which I used to do. Really Porsche should have included a battery tender connected to the traction battery charging circuit, so that leaving the car connected to its main charger, would keep the service battery topped up. Omitting this was a poor design choice. W

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 11-02-2023 at 06:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
Fantasmos (11-03-2023), MKC91 (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 11:05 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi All,

My 2020 Hybrid only seems to charge at 3.4kw? Even at work where I charged a Taycan at 11kw, my car only does 3.4kw. My tethered home charge is a 7.4kw but my car only does 3.4kw? I thought the Panamera was 7.4kw?
Old 11-02-2023, 06:44 PM
orca15
Pro

Originally Posted by Thebig1
Hi All,

My 2020 Hybrid only seems to charge at 3.4kw? Even at work where I charged a Taycan at 11kw, my car only does 3.4kw. My tethered home charge is a 7.4kw but my car only does 3.4kw? I thought the Panamera was 7.4kw?
The higher charge rate is an $840 option. Yours must not have it.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:33 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
It does not warm the engine in E mode and if the ambient temperature is below freezing, it will start the ICE immediately. On a cold morning but above freezing for a short run, it is far kinder to run on electric power only rather than starting a cold engine and not fully warming it to get rid of condensation in oil and engine. The range will decrease considerably on electric with car, seat and window heaters running. The battery also warms itself up. In winter my range is usually around 18 miles.

Wilson

PS word of warning. If the car has been sitting for two weeks or so and the temperature is low, the 12V service battery may well have fallen below 12V at which point the computers will not initialise and nothing will happen apart from a service immediately warning, when you switch on. Depending on how low the service battery is, you may need to connect to a battery charger or lithium starter pack from a few seconds to half an hour or so before there is sufficient voltage to initialise the computers. I now leave a Noco lithium starter pack in my boot over the winter, as this is more convenient than having to plug in a charger, which I used to do. Really Porsche should have included a battery tender connected to the traction battery charging circuit, so that leaving the car connected to its main charger, would keep the service battery topped up. Omitting this was a poor design choice. W
Thanks for the info! I am a bit surprised though, I was expecting it would at least warm the water on E. I have warn garages both at home and in the office, I am simply thinking out loud what will happen if I have to floor it and the ICE starts completely cold in the middle of a trip.

One more question, does it emit any sound when on electric? I think there is a new regulation about that in 2020 or something?
Old 11-03-2023, 02:27 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thebig1
Hi All,

It’s an option:

On-board charger with 7.2 kWOptional on-board charger to increase the maximum charging power and shorten the charging time

OPTION CODE KB2
Old 11-03-2023, 05:19 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The warning sound at low speed for electric cars is an EU requirement, which was proposed in 2018 with the rules formulated for introduction I think on cars made after Jan 1 2020. When I bought my Panamera 4H in October 2017, I am sure I could turn on a low speed warning noise but this disappeared some time in 2018 with one of the firmware updates. I have been told but cannot vouch for it, that apparently the original low speed warning noise my Panamera made, did not meet the EU requirements, so was deleted. This if true, is about as stupid as it gets, as surely some noise is better than none. I find particularly in enclosed car parks running on electric, I have to drive at a snail's pace and keep my eyes peeled for folk, particularly children wandering into my path, while not looking and oblivious of noiseless moving traffic. Parking in an enclosed car park seems to involve people turning off their brains.

Wilson
The following users liked this post:
Fantasmos (11-04-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 07:49 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I work in an OEM and the noise is made by the AVAS system. If the vehicle does not make a set noise level up to 20kmh, it has to emit one. On trucks this is a leagle requirement as of 2024.
Old 11-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Fantasmos
Instructor

I checked the regulations, here in the EU the sound thing is mandatory for cars built after 2020.

Found a pretty well specced Approved one. Only lacks 360 and the HUD from the things I wanted but can live without both. I hope to make a trip to Germany soon and get back with. GT Silver hybrid
Old 11-08-2023, 08:05 PM
servmitter
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st time Porsche owner.... Jet Black M. Panamera

First time Porsche owner of a CPO 2018 E-Hybrid Panamera. Jet Black Metallic with Cream/Marsala full leather interior. Nicely optioned with heating/cooling/massage for everyone, Sport Exhaust, Rear Steering, 360 cam. view :-) - Love love love the car's magic ride and Sports+ mode. Amazed at how well the car is put together and holding up after 5 yrs and 50K miles. Been lurking on these threads to learn as much as possible about the car - incredibly helpful info. here- thank you ! Couple of questions.

1. Any general advice/words of wisdom for a first time P-car owner. Panamera specific dos/don'ts ?
2. I'm leaving for a 3 week trip - Do I need a battery minder?
3. I have the smoker's package . Anyway to convert the rear seat cigarette lighter to USB charging port?
4. I'm only getting 22-25 miles on the battery - was expecting 31 - is that right?
5. Looking for a place to park/charge my iphone and still have access.
6. Can't figure out auto lock after walking away - is that a feature?

Xpel road warrior applied for the 500+ mile drive home.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread