Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 06:36 PM
Tosa5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Note the 'e-hybrid' badge, which is exactly like it appears on our Panamera e-hybrid cars.

If a 911 has 4 doors, then 4 doors cars are cool.

I recently visited the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, which has about 40 special Porsches on loan from Porsche HQ, to celebrate its 75th birthday. I recommend it if you can get there. I have a 2022 Panamera 4S e-hybrid and I love all aspects of it, especially the fact that it is both an electric car, which handles all of my daily 'around town' driving, and also a very fast GT for road trips. If there is anyone who thinks that having an e-hybrid is not 'cool' or not a proper way to deliver high performance, they can get validation from the 918 Spyder pictured above, which uses an electric motor to augment the performance of the ICE, just like our Panamera e-hybrid cars do. Similarly, if anyone thinks the 911 is more sporty because it has 2 doors, note that there is one 911 in the world that validates the practicality of 4 doors.

On a separate note, I am happy to report that on a recent road trip up Highway 50 to Lake Tahoe, California, I was able to use the SPORT Response button on the **** on the steering wheel, and it was awesome. This 2 lane highway usually gets backed up with RVs or cars with trailers that are moving slowly, so when I got to the 'Passing Lane' that provides a second lane for a mile or so, to give drivers a chance to pass the slow vehicles, I pressed the button. I then floored the gas pedal and leapt ahead from about 50 MPH to XX MPH, enabling me to pass 6-7 cars at once, and very quickly. So much fun! What a car.
Old 08-26-2023, 04:09 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Just thought I'd share my last refueling numbers - three weeks and 1000 miles since the last refueling, 47mpg. This included four 150 mile trips and several 70 mile trips, so by no means pure city driving. I've also noticed the estimated full range creeping up, I think it was 547 last time, now almost 600 miles. I think the car is figuring out I get about 30+ MPG running regular hybrid.

1000 miles and 3 weeks since I filled up

Almost 600 miles range!

Last edited by orca15; 08-26-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:36 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive. I was happy to get to 740 miles on my Turbo S.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:41 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Has anyone had this happen to their outlet? I unplugged my Porsche charger before heading out of town and was surprised to see this.The plug does get quite warm while charging, but i can't believe Porsche would allow it to get so warm as to melt the plastic. Any thoughts on whether the charger might be defective?

Old 09-05-2023, 06:19 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Could you have accidentally set the charger to 100% rate? This would overload a standard US plug. In the UK, we get given two charging leads, one with a British square pin 13 amp plug and a 32amp mains supply lead with a high current plug called a Commando plug (see picture below), remembering that this is for British mains supply at 240V/50~. Very unusually, the same 32 Amp plug is also in use in France and I use one these to connect the radiant hob in the kitchen of my French house. Unfortunately, there is a software error on the charger and it automatically sets the charge rate to 100% if you use the 13 amp cable and to 50% if you use the 32 amp cable, whereas it should be the other way round. When I am in France, I use an extension cable for the mains supply with a 16 amp European Schuko plug at one end and a waterproof British 13 Amp socket at the other end and then use the Porsche supplied British 13 amp connector cable to the Universal charger unit. I have to be careful to remember to change the charge rate on the charger to 50% or the extension cable gets very hot. There is only a single 50 amp fuse on the exterior Schuko sockets as the circuit has 4 x 16 amp sockets on it, so the fuse is happy with the 100% charge rate but my extension cable is not. Of course at 115 volts in the USA, your currents will be double those in the UK and France to get the same power. I believe you have to use a 220V supply in the USA to use the high charge rate, otherwise to get a rate of 7.2 kW/H, would need a current of 64 Amps at 115 volts.

Wilson

Old 09-06-2023, 09:41 AM
996 Convert
Racer

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I did not know there were different charging rates. Is that controlled through the charger itself?
Old 09-06-2023, 12:25 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Well I have had my 2023 Panamera hybrid executive for six months now and I honestly don’t see the big advantage of the hybrid system with only 30 miles range. I can plug it in at night and use this range which is more like actual 25 miles , to cruise around town on short distance errands but it cost me money to charge it up - which I have not figured out yet specifically.

Longer drives the battery exhausts rapidly and end up on gasoline of course. But the car is much heavier than a gas engine only car so now Getting worse mileage.

on sport the batteries charge a small amount at a higher rpm- so using up gas to put a charge into the battery. On sport plus the rpm’s jump way way up so eating up lots of gasoline to charge the battery so that charge in the battery is paid for by burning more gas than necessary.

fun to play with - super quiet for 25 miles which is nice I suppose.

on a weekend long drive the battery is exhausted in the first 25 miles of a drive of 400 miles - and now I am using up gas to haul this heavy battery.

min Europe a hybrid is taxed at a much lower rate - and in many city centers the rules only allow electric vehicles at certain times of the day to keep the city noise down,

But here in the states/ it is kind of pointless other than the green brakes and green emblem look fun and useful if your wife uses it 90% of the time to visit bank or market and out to dinner locally.

if I put the mode in electric or hybrid - the battery runs down fast and is useless in just 20 odd miles - not impressed so far with the hybrid system personally.

there is no free lunch/ either you are paying at home to charge the car or your burning a lot more gasoline to charge the battery in sport plus mode where the engine rpm run way up on the rpm gauge.

a Taycon battery size where you get say 200 plus miles on electric and with a gas engine to provide increased range on longer drives would be ideal.

if I was ordering a new Panamera I would pick the base gas engine or the lowest hp v8 model but the hybrid I ordered is a wonderful car overall but I honestly don’t see the advantages of the hybrid except as a very short distance daily driver. To be fair you should amortize the cost of replacing the batteries which will degrade likely right after the eight year warranty and I bet hard pressed to get porsche to replace the battery at say 6 years or seven years. And the cost to replace will likely be $15,000 to $20,000 on a car that in eight odd years could only be wood twice that if not less than $20,000 with a failing battery.

I think the porsche hybrid is designed to skirt the car taxes imposed by the European Union and if you need to drive in downtown city areas frequently but actual has very little real value here on the roads in the states. California won’t even give me car pool exemption sticker on my hybrid and the tax rebates were eliminated by Biden such that zi thought I was going to get $7,500 when I placed my actual order but this was nixed by the new made in America rules and total cost rules and income rules so the rebate for my 2023 disappeared before it was delivered.

Tell me what the heck so-called hybrid auto does for me? I run the car mostly in sport mode until the charge from the night before is used up. I see no reason to charge the car at a charge location while on a trip of 400 miles a day - can’t stop to recharge every 20 some miles. I can run in sport plus/ chew up a lot more gasoline at higher rpm so the battery will charge back up to maximum and then I get 20 miles on e only? Why bother? The regeneration back into the battery from slowing down seems trivial in terms of pushing much of a charge into the battery seems trivial as well.

fun hobby design for those who want to save the world from global warming as this hybrid model sounds great to all your eco warrior friends but rather pointless. And most states are going to shortly impose a mileage tax on electric vehicles which would be insult to injury in that ai paid more in sales taxes on the higher cost of a hybrid and then ai will have to pay a tax on miles driven even though I don’t see much difference in energy uses and with a mileage tax to make up for the lost road taxes on an all electric vehicle yet I am still buying lots of gas to fuel my hybrid with a 20 mile electric mostly pointless range. The electric motor gives me better off the line than a six cylinder Panamera would have but likely not better than an eight cylinder only Panamera.

my car is gorgeous and was fantastic on a 1,000 mile three day trip - this last week but the hybrid system was pointless and exhausted after the first 20 odd miles and the car ran on gasoline only the entire drive.

if there was a setting that only used the battery on hard acceleration ax a booster but once at a constant speed would isolate the battery and run the car on the gas engine only that would be nice to provide a burst of speed greater than the base six cylinder could provide on its own. And I would likely burn less gas on a 409 mile trip only because a six cylinder engine just burns less gas than an eight cylinder and costs less originally of course. But an eight cylinder engine that on the highway drops four cylinders would likely do better as you don’t have a battery of 1,000 pounds to haul everywhere as on a six cylinder with an electric engine for sudden acceleration.

Old 09-06-2023, 12:53 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Indeed it was at 100%. I'm surprised that is not programmed based on which cable is being used.One would think it would be automatic. Thanks for the heads up Wilson. Now that it is at 50%, will it take twice as long to charge?
The following users liked this post:
Wilson Laidlaw (09-07-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 01:44 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Targa32, first of all, beautiful car. That spec is amazing. I have a Turbo S so I can appreciate your points on the hybrid system. Also, it is a 2018, so the range is even lower than yours. Nevertheless, after 8 months of ownership, I love the optionality that this hybrid system provides.

The fact that I can go from a 680 HP beast to a fully electric cruiser is awesome to me. Hitting 740 miles between fill ups is astounding to me as my other cars are lucky to get 250. I don't have any appreciable increase to my power bills despite unit costs going up. What's not to like?

Granted, a lot of my driving is around town, short mileage trips. Given the traffic, I'm content leaving it in e-power, or my favorite individual setting which is hybrid, loud exhaust and sport suspension. On longer trips, I just consider it a relatively high mileage ICE vehicle, again better than my other rides despite the huge HP.

I view this as my ultimate swiss-army knife, especially since it's a Sport Turismo which gives me adequate cargo capacity. Of course, I would not want to own this out of warranty, but have plenty of coverage left. I'd be hard pressed to name a replacement other than a newer one once my warranty runs out.

Is it perfect? As you detailed above, no. But it is perfect for me. Enjoy your beautiful ride!
movan (09-12-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 02:55 PM
V10EHS
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
Well I have had my 2023 Panamera hybrid executive for six months now and I honestly don’t see the big advantage of the hybrid system with only 30 miles range. I can plug it in at night and use this range which is more like actual 25 miles , to cruise around town on short distance errands but it cost me money to charge it up - which I have not figured out yet specifically.

Longer drives the battery exhausts rapidly and end up on gasoline of course. But the car is much heavier than a gas engine only car so now Getting worse mileage.

on sport the batteries charge a small amount at a higher rpm- so using up gas to put a charge into the battery. On sport plus the rpm’s jump way way up so eating up lots of gasoline to charge the battery so that charge in the battery is paid for by burning more gas than necessary.

fun to play with - super quiet for 25 miles which is nice I suppose.

on a weekend long drive the battery is exhausted in the first 25 miles of a drive of 400 miles - and now I am using up gas to haul this heavy battery.

min Europe a hybrid is taxed at a much lower rate - and in many city centers the rules only allow electric vehicles at certain times of the day to keep the city noise down,

But here in the states/ it is kind of pointless other than the green brakes and green emblem look fun and useful if your wife uses it 90% of the time to visit bank or market and out to dinner locally.

if I put the mode in electric or hybrid - the battery runs down fast and is useless in just 20 odd miles - not impressed so far with the hybrid system personally.

there is no free lunch/ either you are paying at home to charge the car or your burning a lot more gasoline to charge the battery in sport plus mode where the engine rpm run way up on the rpm gauge.

a Taycon battery size where you get say 200 plus miles on electric and with a gas engine to provide increased range on longer drives would be ideal.

if I was ordering a new Panamera I would pick the base gas engine or the lowest hp v8 model but the hybrid I ordered is a wonderful car overall but I honestly don’t see the advantages of the hybrid except as a very short distance daily driver. To be fair you should amortize the cost of replacing the batteries which will degrade likely right after the eight year warranty and I bet hard pressed to get porsche to replace the battery at say 6 years or seven years. And the cost to replace will likely be $15,000 to $20,000 on a car that in eight odd years could only be wood twice that if not less than $20,000 with a failing battery.

I think the porsche hybrid is designed to skirt the car taxes imposed by the European Union and if you need to drive in downtown city areas frequently but actual has very little real value here on the roads in the states. California won’t even give me car pool exemption sticker on my hybrid and the tax rebates were eliminated by Biden such that zi thought I was going to get $7,500 when I placed my actual order but this was nixed by the new made in America rules and total cost rules and income rules so the rebate for my 2023 disappeared before it was delivered.

Tell me what the heck so-called hybrid auto does for me? I run the car mostly in sport mode until the charge from the night before is used up. I see no reason to charge the car at a charge location while on a trip of 400 miles a day - can’t stop to recharge every 20 some miles. I can run in sport plus/ chew up a lot more gasoline at higher rpm so the battery will charge back up to maximum and then I get 20 miles on e only? Why bother? The regeneration back into the battery from slowing down seems trivial in terms of pushing much of a charge into the battery seems trivial as well.

fun hobby design for those who want to save the world from global warming as this hybrid model sounds great to all your eco warrior friends but rather pointless. And most states are going to shortly impose a mileage tax on electric vehicles which would be insult to injury in that ai paid more in sales taxes on the higher cost of a hybrid and then ai will have to pay a tax on miles driven even though I don’t see much difference in energy uses and with a mileage tax to make up for the lost road taxes on an all electric vehicle yet I am still buying lots of gas to fuel my hybrid with a 20 mile electric mostly pointless range. The electric motor gives me better off the line than a six cylinder Panamera would have but likely not better than an eight cylinder only Panamera.

my car is gorgeous and was fantastic on a 1,000 mile three day trip - this last week but the hybrid system was pointless and exhausted after the first 20 odd miles and the car ran on gasoline only the entire drive.

if there was a setting that only used the battery on hard acceleration ax a booster but once at a constant speed would isolate the battery and run the car on the gas engine only that would be nice to provide a burst of speed greater than the base six cylinder could provide on its own. And I would likely burn less gas on a 409 mile trip only because a six cylinder engine just burns less gas than an eight cylinder and costs less originally of course. But an eight cylinder engine that on the highway drops four cylinders would likely do better as you don’t have a battery of 1,000 pounds to haul everywhere as on a six cylinder with an electric engine for sudden acceleration.

I have a '23 Turbo S E-Hybrid.
The bottom line is that the Hybrid functionality only yields benefits if you do a lot of journeys which are entirely or mostly covered by the Electric Range. The Turbo S EH has a quoted 700hp (dyno-ed in the UK recently at delivered 751hp) and since I took delivery in Feb, I'm getting 50mpg on average through ALL usage - that's unbelievable economy for a car this big, with the same power as a Lamborghini Aventador, and luxurious.
What prompted my purchase, amongst other things, was that I had an E63 S AMG before this and I just felt it was needlessly wasteful and bordering on 'excessive' to burn fuel at the rate of 15mpg dropping my daughter to nursery - indeed the, gym, commute, local shopping and seeing family, as well as trips into central London, are largely seen off with the electric range so for me it made perfect sense.
The question that often follows is 'well then why didn't you buy a Taycan?' Believe me - I thought long and hard about it. Two problems:
1. Inside, it a much, much smaller and less luxurious car - put in a reverse-facing isofix-mounted baby seat in the rear and front occupants have IMO inadequate space.
2. The UK charging network makes a catastrophe of long EV journeys. I may do them less frequently, yes (which is why my overall MPG is so amazing) but when I spend £170,000 on a car, I want ZERO restrictions. I want to drive to Scotland or drive down to Antibes without giving it's a seconds thought - and you can't do that. The charging infrastructure is awful here in the UK/Europe. I'm not waiting around in some windswept charging station where half the chargers are broken, the others are taken and I need to wait around 1 hour with a crying baby and grumpy wife for just enough charge to get home by a few miles - because I forgot to plug it in last night/weather is cold dropping range/ or I gassed the car on some fine roads and depleted the battery. I don't need that s*** in my life! :-) So no, the Taycan and indeed all EV's were out.

I believe the Panamera Hybrid fits my own personal use case fantastically. For me it does everything.
And I love the boosted power delivery from the Hybrid system adding to the V8. The throttle response at low revs is almost as good as my Carrera GT and at high revs it's just ridiculously quick. In Turbo S trim with all the driving options they throw at the car, you don't feel nor care about the extra weight until you're being very silly on the road - moreoever most of us have other cars for our out and out fun. I'm not actually able to deplete the battery in Sport/Sport Plus.... but I've been told the V8 charges it faster - also like the remote a/c from your phone which all the hybrids get without the 'auxiliary heater' option.

This setup is not for everyone and clearly your usage doesn't exploit it but it can work for some!

Lovely car by the way!! Congratulations.

movan (09-12-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 11:40 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like going to be without mine for a long time, if I ever get it back even, just been told look like engine out to try find electrical problem, don't know if I want back with that happening.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:32 PM
eyeballs19
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any way to limit the charge to a certain % state of charge?

I traded my Taycan GTS for a 4S e-hybrid ST and I am really happy with the swap (I loved the Taycan but hated the charging network, and I love road trips in these cars). The Taycan allows you to set a % limit in the timers but I cannot find the same function for the Panamera. Weird because the manual for both cars recommend the same 85% charge target for daily use/100% for road trips, but the Panamera doesn’t have a way to make that happen.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-09-2023, 04:36 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There is no way to limit the charging to 80 or 85% on the hybrids. Many folk like me, set charging to occur during the night to take advantage of cheap rate electricity. In theory you could work out from the state of discharge of the electric battery and the projected charging time shown on the Porsche Connect app and set your alarm for say 3.30 in the morning then get up to disconnect the charge cable but life's too short for that sort of shenanigans. I have just assumed that Porsche know what they are doing and have set up the charging regime correctly. My hybrid is now 6 years old and I have not noticed any deterioration of the battery, although I am sure there must have been some.

Wilson
MKC91 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 08:25 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Targe 32 - I feel exactly the opposite of you. I find the hybrid super useful. First of all, don't run the battery down in the first 25 miles; set it to hybrid as soon as you are out of the neighborhood, then I can go for several hundred miles getting 30 mpg while the charge very slowly gets used up. So I have three modes - around town all electric; long trip in hybrid from the start, and sport mode when it's Porsche time.

And here's a fill in for you - those 25 miles (I get 30) are costing you about $2.25, That's 15kWH at $0.15 per kWH here in Virginia. So from one POV, you save about half charging at home, assuming the 25 miles would cost you a bit over one gallon of gas if you had no hybrid.

And don't forget the extra 130HP! But you are right, only charging at home, or at a hotel with a free charger, makes sense to me. Not using the engine either.

EyEBALLS - my third party charger, permanently mounted in the garage, allows any amount of charge at any speed, so I can certainly limit the charge to 80% that way.
eyeballs19 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 03:22 PM
Brockoli64
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a few features where you just gotta trust porsche. This is one of them.
It's a small battery, if a full electric loses 10% of it's battery from overcharging that's a lot, lik 20-30 miles
If you lose 10% that's like 2-3 miles. It's simply not worth spending your brain power on.
You're also missing out on daily improvements in fuel efficiency by using the whole battery during your commute.
If you're full electric you wanna stay within 20-80% battery, sure, when you can, but we don't need to.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brockoli64:
eyeballs19 (09-11-2023), Wilson Laidlaw (09-12-2023)

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread