Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 04:21 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Similar to the above: My 100% reading equals 35 (summer) to 28 (mild winter) e-miles predicted, but I swear the first 3 miles takes at least 5 off of the miles remaining. After that it seems pretty predictable. Maybe there is a couple miles of electricity used to get everything warmed up.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:15 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosa5
Very nice picture. I’ve always loved the look of the rear of the ST but the front looks great also. I have the same wheels on mine.
those are actually the winter wheels. 20” Turbo II or something like that. Summer treads are 21” ”Platinum” wheels. huge difference in how it drives and behaves on the road.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:20 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Revisiting the Porsche charger recall/neutering… is this an optional repair? I’m not excited by cutting output in half. Dealer wants me to bring in my unit. My inside wiring is new.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:29 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by GoBlue!
Revisiting the Porsche charger recall/neutering… is this an optional repair? I’m not excited by cutting output in half. Dealer wants me to bring in my unit. My inside wiring is new.
I thought this only applied to Taycan chargers. There has been no mention of it from my dealer and my Panamera 4 E-Hybrid has been in there a number of times recently for problems with the VTS tracker system (now after a year of problems and quite a lot of money, hopefully finally cured - fingers crossed). At my French house I sometimes get the error code on the charger for inadequate earth but I am powering it from a 50 year old 16A exterior Schuko type socket on my house, where the earth connector tends to get oxidised. After a good scrub with a fibreglass brush, it will last a year or so before that needs repeating. My recent charger problems were due to dust preventing the locking tabs for the charge plug fully engaging in the vehicle's charge port, which results in a safety interlock blocking charging. Cleaning the dust out from around the tabs with brake cleaner and then a spray with dry lubricant has completely cured the problem.

Wilson

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 04-13-2023 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:16 AM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

Service advisor asked me “to bring in my hybrid charger for an important update”.
Old 04-14-2023, 07:18 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

As far as I understand the recall situation, this does not apply to UK model 7.2 kWH chargers running on the 32 Amp/240V "Commando" type plugs. These use very large heavy brass pin plugs and are well within their rated capacity at 32 Amps. There is in consequence no heating issue on the UK 32 Amp sockets and no need to reduce the charge rate. There is however, an odd and annoying software error on the charger. If I use the 32A high current mains connection cable, the charger defaults to a 50% charge rate, where I would want to charge at the 100% rate. However, if I mount the low current 13A British plug type cable on the charger, that I also use in France (with an adapter cable to Schuko plug/socket), then the charger defaults to the 100% charge rate, which might overload the cable, except I don't know if this is 100%/3kWH rate for the low current cable or the full 7.2 kWH rate. In other words what is the 100% or 50% percent of, the max rate for that cable or the max rate the car can accept. The current software is the wrong way round. I think the charger should default to 100% rate on the 32A cable and 50% rate on the 13A cable. One just needs to remember to reset this after a power off or a power cut. See 32A/240V Commando plug below. I have pointed this out to Porsche for a number of years and suggested a firmware update for the charger but nothing forthcoming. Maybe Porsche have decided on the lazy cure for this and to just disable 100% charge rate.

Wilson

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 04-14-2023 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:21 PM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all,

anyone found or come up with a nice way to protect / cover the charge port while on charge. A lot of rain in the UK and feels a bit exposed. Tried one off ebay but it was a magnet cover and I forgot, aluminium body lol
Old 04-18-2023, 04:43 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by Thebig1
Hi all,

anyone found or come up with a nice way to protect / cover the charge port while on charge. A lot of rain in the UK and feels a bit exposed. Tried one off ebay but it was a magnet cover and I forgot, aluminium body lol
I use aircraft grade soft 3M 47011548 aluminium tape that Boeing are currently using to repair the degrading surfaces on their Dreamliner wings. This is extremely sticky so you need to double over the bit that you fold down to cover the socket for the locking pin, to prevent rain/snow entering it. It needs to be replaced about every 12 months as the continual folding eventually fatigues the aluminium but there is enough on the roll of tape to last a lifetime.
Amazon Amazon
. All the available rain covers I have found will not work on the Panamera, as they use magnets to attach to the bodywork round the charge port. The body on the Panamera being light alloy, is non-magnetic.

Wilson
Old 04-20-2023, 04:03 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
I use aircraft grade soft 3M 47011548 aluminium tape that Boeing are currently using to repair the degrading surfaces on their Dreamliner wings. This is extremely sticky so you need to double over the bit that you fold down to cover the socket for the locking pin, to prevent rain/snow entering it. It needs to be replaced about every 12 months as the continual folding eventually fatigues the aluminium but there is enough on the roll of tape to last a lifetime. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . All the available rain covers I have found will not work on the Panamera, as they use magnets to attach to the bodywork round the charge port. The body on the Panamera being light alloy, is non-magnetic.

Wilson
Hi Wilson,

Have you any pictures of how you fitted it etc?
Old 04-20-2023, 02:55 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Does anyone else have the Rear Seat Entertainment screens in the back seats? I just received the car and all I can get the screens to do is run NetFlix which is pre-installed on the screens. But in the Porsche videos and description of these screens it shows being about to run navigation screens and a display of the dash board instruments and operate and select music etc. And there is no manual or any information on actually operating these screens -not even on Youtube.
Perhaps I need to download some additional apps?

My dealer says I was the first to be "dumb" enough to order these screens on the back of the seats. -- I added the word "dumb" - because at the moment these screens are all but useless in reality at a cost of over $2,000 -- I could have had leather covered air vents instead!
Old 04-21-2023, 05:12 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by Targa32
Does anyone else have the Rear Seat Entertainment screens in the back seats? I just received the car and all I can get the screens to do is run NetFlix which is pre-installed on the screens. But in the Porsche videos and description of these screens it shows being about to run navigation screens and a display of the dash board instruments and operate and select music etc. And there is no manual or any information on actually operating these screens -not even on Youtube.
Perhaps I need to download some additional apps?

My dealer says I was the first to be "dumb" enough to order these screens on the back of the seats. -- I added the word "dumb" - because at the moment these screens are all but useless in reality at a cost of over $2,000 -- I could have had leather covered air vents instead!
The rear screens were installed when I took over a footballer's uncompleted purchase, when my order for an ST version got delayed for months by the changeover to WLTP regs. I sold the rear screens back to the dealer but I still have the factory installed 6 disc player in the boot, behind the same panel as the 12V service battery. This is to play video DVD's to the rear screens, presumably to keep children amused on long journeys, although most now have their own personal pads and can log in to the Porsche wifi service. This is a poorly conceived player as it cannot play MP3 files for Audiobooks, although the single disc player in the glove compartment can. That was the only possible use for the boot player that I needed and it doesn't work for that.

Wilson
Old 04-21-2023, 06:55 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by Thebig1
Hi Wilson,

Have you any pictures of how you fitted it etc?
I was going to renew my tape charge socket locking pin hole cover today but it is raining hard, so that is going to have to wait for another day. When I renew the tape I will take a photo and post it.

Wilson
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (04-21-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 01:59 PM
kennyboy993
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any owners on here who have had their car mapped to 600hp and above? Looks like most remappers are offering this, often with a statement such like 'Porsche left a lot on the table, the 4S e-hybrid is the same engine with a different tune' etc. Seems too much to me - would make it a very boosty car, though I may be wrong.

Any owners can offer a real world experience report of the 4 e-hybrid remapped? I don't get any response from UK remappers when I ask what boost pressure is going from-and-to so makes me worried it's huge. Only FVD in Germany seem to be offering a milder tune and I'm inclined to go that way.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:14 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

my new Panamera 4 Hybrid Executive is more than fast enough for a sedan and likely faster accelerating than any other sedan around. My suggestion is simple-- these cars are not race cars and will never handle like a 911 or a 718 no matter how much hp is in the engine. Buy a Porsche Sports car and even then the base engine 911 Carrera will do a sub 4 second 0-60 -- which is faster than 90% of the cars on the road today and faster than just about every past model of 911 ever made.

The Panamera is a luxury sedan designed to take four people out to dinner -- not to run on a track. Also this machine with the battery and electric motor and gas engine combined is a complex beast and very few mechanics today have any idea on how to work on this car. Repairing these cars can get really expensive and only Porsche dealers know how to maintain them - and even their mechanics are often baffled when it comes to difficult issues. If you take a Hybrid Porsche to the dealer that has had all sorts of oddball after market engine and drivetrain modifications it is likely that they will refuse to even work on the var because of the likelihood of having liability.

Buy a Porsche Sports car - and enjoy on the track--- but these Panamera's are boats no matter what kind of hp they have-- and they will never handle on a twisty road like a "real" sports car. Even my salesman said all his other associates at the Porsche dealer cannot understand this obsession with hp for a four door sedan and he even said the best Porsche for driving is the new 911 T with only 389 hp. But he did say he appreciates guys paying hundreds of thousands of dollars more for the same basic car with another 100 hp -- more commissions.
The following users liked this post:
Wilson Laidlaw (04-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 04:56 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

DMS Tuning in the UK offered me a very good deal as a past customer to be the launch client for their Panamera tuning remap. Like Targa32 above, I decided the somewhat tail heavy handling of the 4 e-Hybrid would not marry well to more power (they were offering a combined 660 BHP and 860 Nm). I think I might feel differently had my current Panamera had the rear wheel steering, which I had specified in my original order. This was going to be very delayed due to the changeover to the WLTP regulations, so I opted for a ready built car. My brother's Panamera Turbo that he had in South Africa, has the rear wheel steering and it makes a big difference. If I want more performance I will go and drive my 1977 Porsche 911 RSR or if I want more excitement, I can drive my Morgan three wheeler with a G56 Stage 3 S&S 2.0L V twin (125 BHP) and 470kg all up weight.

Wilson

PS: I see that DMS have now slightly toned down their 4E tune up, now to 620BHP and 800 Nm.

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 04-28-2023 at 05:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread