Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Tosa5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

As a new Porsche owner (Panamera 4S e-Hybrid ST),

I am exploring PCA (Porsche Club of America) events. I went to one recently in Sonoma, and mine was the only Panamera out of 40 cars, which did not surprise me. On August 19, I attend the annual Rennworks Reunion that is part of the annual Monterrey (Calif) Car Week, which culminates in the Pebble Beach Concours de’ Elegance. For $40, I was able to park my car on the hosting golf course, with other Panamera’s (all cars were parked by model). The event sold out, so 750 Porsches were be on display. I thought that there might be 30+ Panamera’s (Panamera’s represent 10% of Porsche’s global production, and if attendance matched this proportion, there would have been 75 Panameras). I was looking forward to talking about the details of the Panamera, and sharing experiences with other owners.

Sadly, only 7 Panamera’s showed up. One owner was a nice woman whose brother just gave her his 8 year old car after he bought a new Panamera (he did not attend). She loved her Panamera, but didn’t know much about it. Another owner I met was a woman whose husband bought a 911 and a Panamera Turbo, and she is lucky enough to be assigned to the Panamera, but is not an enthusiast. The other owners never came back to their cars after parking them, so I never really had any good conversations with Panamera owners. Bummer.

I think that a good proportion of Panamera owners just drive the car and don’t think of themselves as ‘enthusiasts’ and they don’t attend car events. Oh well - I still loved the event and enjoyed talking to all of the other attendees. Everyone was friendly, and excited to talk about Porsches.

I tried to sign up for a regional PCA event that included driving on some twisty roads, on the way to the Sonoma Raceway. It included 3 ‘parade laps’ on the track, with means you drive sequentially in a group of 10 cars, with a leader setting the pace, so it’s not racing, but it would be a lot of fun to drive the track. Unfortunately, the demand was so great that in 2 minutes, the 40 car capacity was filled. I’ll keep watching for another event like this.

Let me know if you have had a good experience with the Porsche community.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:44 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Does anyone know if Porsche runs a fuel system cleaner through the system on a major service. I will be having a major service done when I return to the UK in October. I see a number of folk recommending running a product called BG44K for fuel injected cars, every year or so. My guess is that if it was beneficial or necessary, Porsche would already be doing this, although no doubt the product they use costs a multiple of the price of 44K. I am always suspicious of what I mentally categorise as "Snake Oil" wonder products.

Wilson

Old 09-01-2022, 12:16 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

I do this on all my fuel-injected cars, and I use the off the shelf stuff. I really believe it can only help, but have no proof to offer you, other than anecdotally I have friends who have bought older cars and said that it made them run better. Hard to believe that 75 year old automotive companies would just flat sell "snake oil" (which is why I get brand names) that doesn't actually help or even worse, hurts.

Never seen an annual on a Porsche even mention using this, so I think the answer to your dealer question is no.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:46 PM
c17r15
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 15 Posts

I just did a DE with PCA at Sonoma (8/27) in my 4EH ST. There was a Taycan Cross Turismo in my group also. I think there was another Panamera at the event (SP Engineering shop car) that drove the parade lap.

Any interest in HOD event at Sonoma coming up? Look forward to seeing you @ one of those PCA events. Give me a DM if interest

Originally Posted by Tosa5
As a new Porsche owner (Panamera 4S e-Hybrid ST),

I am exploring PCA (Porsche Club of America) events. I went to one recently in Sonoma, and mine was the only Panamera out of 40 cars, which did not surprise me. On August 19, I attend the annual Rennworks Reunion that is part of the annual Monterrey (Calif) Car Week, which culminates in the Pebble Beach Concours de’ Elegance. For $40, I was able to park my car on the hosting golf course, with other Panamera’s (all cars were parked by model). The event sold out, so 750 Porsches were be on display. I thought that there might be 30+ Panamera’s (Panamera’s represent 10% of Porsche’s global production, and if attendance matched this proportion, there would have been 75 Panameras). I was looking forward to talking about the details of the Panamera, and sharing experiences with other owners.

Sadly, only 7 Panamera’s showed up. One owner was a nice woman whose brother just gave her his 8 year old car after he bought a new Panamera (he did not attend). She loved her Panamera, but didn’t know much about it. Another owner I met was a woman whose husband bought a 911 and a Panamera Turbo, and she is lucky enough to be assigned to the Panamera, but is not an enthusiast. The other owners never came back to their cars after parking them, so I never really had any good conversations with Panamera owners. Bummer.

I think that a good proportion of Panamera owners just drive the car and don’t think of themselves as ‘enthusiasts’ and they don’t attend car events. Oh well - I still loved the event and enjoyed talking to all of the other attendees. Everyone was friendly, and excited to talk about Porsches.

I tried to sign up for a regional PCA event that included driving on some twisty roads, on the way to the Sonoma Raceway. It included 3 ‘parade laps’ on the track, with means you drive sequentially in a group of 10 cars, with a leader setting the pace, so it’s not racing, but it would be a lot of fun to drive the track. Unfortunately, the demand was so great that in 2 minutes, the 40 car capacity was filled. I’ll keep watching for another event like this.

Let me know if you have had a good experience with the Porsche community.

Last edited by c17r15; 09-01-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 02:18 PM
BruceG
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Do any of you guys have a solution for a rear cam?
Old 09-11-2022, 06:15 PM
Nvrfollow
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My concern is the rear hatch opening and closing for the cable and installation
Old 09-12-2022, 05:24 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The since withdrawn Porsche dash cam also had a rear looking element. I don't know if it just had an additional rear looking lens on the mirror mounted main unit or if it tapped into the feed from the reversing camera. I feel that given we already have reasonable definition front and rearwards looking cameras as part of the parking assistance system, there should be some way of adding a recording system to that to give the equivalent of both front and rear camera coverage, without excrescences sitting on the dash top or hanging off the mirror. I am told by my car radio guru who added Bluetooth phone and an iPod facility to both my 2002 996 TTS and my 2007 997 TTS MOST fibre optic audio systems, that the Porsche dash cam was a disaster. He said he has far better solutions at a much lower price and that unlike the Porsche dashcam, they will not have a high probability of failing after a few months.

Wilson
Old 09-12-2022, 02:41 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Nvrfollow
My concern is the rear hatch opening and closing for the cable and installation
My car is a 2018 and I went with a front and rear dashcam right after I bought it. Thinkware Q800 Pro - it wasn't the most expenisive at the time and suits my needs. @Nvrfollow , the wire for the camera can be tucked under the trim and fed through one of the tubes in the hatch so it is not exposed.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 AM
C4SCABHVN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all,

After 15 joyous years with my 2007 911 C4S Cab (hence username), I traded it in for a 2022 Panamera 4S Hybrid. I am looking forward to learning about and bonding with this new delight. So much new tech in this beast. My new car is a Night Blue with a saddle brown/luxor beige interior. The only option I think I would have wanted that the car doesn't have is the rear axle steering. But these days it isn't exactly a buyer's market! That's it for now. I need to look over this site and begin my learning. Be well, all!
Old 09-25-2022, 12:12 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SCABHVN
Hello all,

After 15 joyous years with my 2007 911 C4S Cab (hence username), I traded it in for a 2022 Panamera 4S Hybrid. I am looking forward to learning about and bonding with this new delight. So much new tech in this beast. My new car is a Night Blue with a saddle brown/luxor beige interior. The only option I think I would have wanted that the car doesn't have is the rear axle steering. But these days it isn't exactly a buyer's market! That's it for now. I need to look over this site and begin my learning. Be well, all!
As a long time 911 driver, I have to say, at this stage in my life (60) the Panamera E-Hybrid is the perfect car.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:37 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SCABHVN
Hello all,

Welcome to the EHybrid club. I have a Gentian Blue 2021 Panamera 4S EHybrid and it has been great. I’m still learning the car too. I removed the green badging. Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
orca15 (09-25-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 10:17 PM
C4SCABHVN
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@orca15 What you stated was precisely my thinking as well when I made the transition from my 911

@Brazz I would not have bought my car if it had the acid green brake calipers! I'm sure that some people love them but I'm not one of them. My Panamera has the option of the Porsche logo in the rear in "high gloss black" so it makes the surround green tinting around it more subtle and appealing to my eyes. I'm still debating removing the acid green side badging but so far I'm ok with it.

Early days yet - I have less than 100 miles on it - but so far this car is everything I wanted. My wife's car for the past several years has been the Tesla Model S, so I'm not completely clueless about all this new tech but it's still a learning curve. The biggest thing I have to get used to is the fact that this is my first ever car without a third pedal. I do miss that.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

As the weather is turning cooler I noticed weak cabin heating when ICE isnt running. If I do run the engine there is resideral heat for a long time, but starting in e or hybrid without the petrol engine running…there is no heat coming at all. Also noticed the ”pre-heat” has no effective either. I know it worked, as on hot summer days it would cool the cabin, but not noticing any increase in temp. If I put the temp setting asHigh all it does is blow more cool air.

is this a ”feature” or a setting somewhere for us hybrid owners or should I head for the local Service Centre?
Old 10-11-2022, 03:37 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
As the weather is turning cooler I noticed weak cabin heating when ICE isnt running. If I do run the engine there is resideral heat for a long time, but starting in e or hybrid without the petrol engine running…there is no heat coming at all. Also noticed the ”pre-heat” has no effective either. I know it worked, as on hot summer days it would cool the cabin, but not noticing any increase in temp. If I put the temp setting asHigh all it does is blow more cool air.

is this a ”feature” or a setting somewhere for us hybrid owners or should I head for the local Service Centre?
I think you should take it to service. It should be heating just as it cools so something is wrong.

Last edited by SS22; 10-11-2022 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Black_on_black (10-11-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 04:22 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
I think you should take it to service. It should be hearing just as it cools so something is wrong.
Thanks 😊 when it’s on pre-cool/pre-heat I hear the fan run, so from that perspective it is working and when cooling in this mode the A/C compressor makes a different sound. Do the cars have a heat pump or a “toaster”-style heating element?

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread