Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 06:58 AM
kennyboy993
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Wilson, yes I did have a brief conversation with DMS over email as it happens. If I did go the 600hp route it would probably be with them. So you didn't go for it in the end?

There was a chap on here from the uk, Jason I believe who had the DMS map done - I've tried to contact him direct though I suspect he's not on here any more.

Last edited by kennyboy993; 04-28-2023 at 06:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wilson Laidlaw (04-29-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 10:18 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Our New 2023 a Panamera has rear seat belts that continue to tighten as you lean back and will not release so you can lean forward unless you unclip the seat belt and let it retract 100% and then it will pull out again but after clipped in again it starts the same routine of ratcheting tighter and tighter until you are trapped being held back in your seat. . Front seat belts don’t seem to exhibit This aggressive ratcheting tighter and tighter and tighter.

very annoying - and particularly to guests in the back seats.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:38 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone yet tried the NA0 homologated Goodyear Eagle Supersport Tyres on the Panamera? They are considerably cheaper (about 30%+) than the Pirelli P Zero NCS (reduced noise) I have been running and also much cheaper than the asymmetric Goodyear F1 Supersports, homologated N0.

I knew it would catch up with me sooner or later but I have reached the point where all 4 tyres need replacing at the same time, which is a bit of a hit to my wallet. I have this suspicion that unlike my various 911s, which were very sensitive to tyres and where I run my current 1977 911RSR on Michelin Racing shallow tread TB15 tyres, the huge weight of the Panamera just squishes everything firmly onto the road. It is not as if I am hooning around in it anyway, as I have my Three Wheeler Morgan on vintage racer tyres and the 911 for that.

Wilson
Old 06-20-2023, 11:32 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
Has anyone yet tried the NA0 homologated Goodyear Eagle Supersport Tyres on the Panamera? They are considerably cheaper (about 30%+) than the Pirelli P Zero NCS (reduced noise) I have been running and also much cheaper than the asymmetric Goodyear F1 Supersports, homologated N0.

I knew it would catch up with me sooner or later but I have reached the point where all 4 tyres need replacing at the same time, which is a bit of a hit to my wallet. I have this suspicion that unlike my various 911s, which were very sensitive to tyres and where I run my current 1977 911RSR on Michelin Racing shallow tread TB15 tyres, the huge weight of the Panamera just squishes everything firmly onto the road. It is not as if I am hooning around in it anyway, as I have my Three Wheeler Morgan on vintage racer tyres and the 911 for that.

Wilson
I would be interested as well and will be in the same situation soon. @Wilson Laidlaw , what rim diameter are you running. I have 21"s and it doesn't look like Goodyear has them in this size for our car. Also, have you considered All Season tires?

Old 06-21-2023, 04:45 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by MKC91
I would be interested as well and will be in the same situation soon. @Wilson Laidlaw , what rim diameter are you running. I have 21"s and it doesn't look like Goodyear has them in this size for our car. Also, have you considered All Season tires?
In the UK Goodyear lists two alternatives for 21" wheels of Porsche homologated F1 Eagle tyres, both symmetrical and asymmetrical. On the other hand no all season tyres are available at all in the UK in a homologated fitment for the 21" wheels. You have to be careful to fit only homologated tyres as if you have an accident and are using non-homologated tyres, a typically slippery insurance company can latch onto that as a reason not to pay your claim. You can look on the British Tyre supplier Blackcircles.com, who I have used for the last 25 years as a tyre supplier, for the best selection of 21" fitment homologated tyres available in the UK. All season tyres don't seem to be a thing in the UK and as I live in the south of England over the winter, where snow is rare, I just live with the summer tyres all year round. The only all season tyre I have used is the Michelin Cross Climate 175/50 x 15" on the single back wheel of my Three Wheeler Morgan. It gave very good wet grip but given that car lives at my other house in the very dry south of France, is only used during the summer months and given its total absence of a hood or any weather protection, would not be the car I choose if it is raining, wet grip is not a priority. The Michelin All Weather only lasted about 4,000 km, so when I replaced it, I reverted to a Yokohama A048 track day tyre.

Wilson
Old 06-21-2023, 12:57 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
In the UK Goodyear lists two alternatives for 21" wheels of Porsche homologated F1 Eagle tyres, both symmetrical and asymmetrical. On the other hand no all season tyres are available at all in the UK in a homologated fitment for the 21" wheels. You have to be careful to fit only homologated tyres as if you have an accident and are using non-homologated tyres, a typically slippery insurance company can latch onto that as a reason not to pay your claim. You can look on the British Tyre supplier Blackcircles.com, who I have used for the last 25 years as a tyre supplier, for the best selection of 21" fitment homologated tyres available in the UK. All season tyres don't seem to be a thing in the UK and as I live in the south of England over the winter, where snow is rare, I just live with the summer tyres all year round. The only all season tyre I have used is the Michelin Cross Climate 175/50 x 15" on the single back wheel of my Three Wheeler Morgan. It gave very good wet grip but given that car lives at my other house in the very dry south of France, is only used during the summer months and given its total absence of a hood or any weather protection, would not be the car I choose if it is raining, wet grip is not a priority. The Michelin All Weather only lasted about 4,000 km, so when I replaced it, I reverted to a Yokohama A048 track day tyre.

Wilson
Very interesting Wilson, I am only running All Season approved tires because they would / should last longer than full out performance ones and the came with the car. So far, I've been happy with the Pirelli Cinturato P7s and will be looking for alternatives. I also have a set of 19" rims and snow (Michelin) tires for the few times a year we get snow storms here in Ontario Canada. Unfortunately, they will need replacing too.
Wilson Laidlaw (06-22-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 03:27 PM
bjterp00
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Very loud fan noise - hybrid system cooling fan?

Hi all -

I have a '21 Panamera 4S e-Hybrid (which I spec'd and purchased after hours of reading every single post on this thread!!). I recently had an issue that I think is the e-hybrid cooling fan ... have any of you ever heard the fan while driving? I posted a video, too, so you can hear how loud it was when I parked.

The issue occurred last weekend. I was on the Autobahn in Southwestern Germany at highway speeds (but not super fast ~130-160 kph / 80-100 mph) and driving in hybrid auto mode. I heard what I think was the hybrid system cooling fan when the ICE shut off at lower speeds & during deceleration. I even heard it over the ICE at some points when at low revs. When I noticed it, we were most of the way through a ~300 km / ~185 mi drive, and the outside temp was around 35 degC / 95 degF.

When we got to where we going, the fan stayed on and was very loud (video attached of the noise in the parking garage right after we stopped). We came back to the car a couple of hours later, drove the full distance back home, and didn't notice it at all.

Cross-posted on this thread:
e-hybrid loud fan nose thread

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3604.MOV (5.14 MB, 14 views)
Old 07-16-2023, 04:58 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbkanas
Good Evening,

I have a 2022 Panamera 4 eHybrid Sport Tourismo, and regularly see around 40mi electric range after an overnight charge in moderate (50-70F) temperatures. At warmer temperatures I see around 35mi electric range. During the winter, the range from an overnight charge is 25-27mi. I find that the electric range is extremely sensitive to temperature. On a couple of occasions, I have had it outdoors (not charging) overnight subject to sub-zero temperatures; Under those conditions, "e-power is not available" and the IC engine starts immediately on first start. Once the IC has reached a nominal operating temperature, then e-power is again available.

Hope this helps...
I noticed a reduction in my full charge battery range from 42 miles to 32 miles since my last service. I did not take my mobile charger, but I wonder if they reduced the full charge capacity due to the recall.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:37 PM
Tosa5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

bjterp00 - I have not heard a fan noise on my 2022 P 4S e-Hybrid (or if there is a fan noise, it's not load enough for my old man ears to hear). I just finished a 4 hour drive home from Lake Tahoe, California, at speeds averaging 75 MPH. The elevation on the peak we had to cross was about 7200 feet, and the temperature rose from about 90 degrees F to 107 F as we drove down the mountain to the hot San Joaquin Valley. I didn't hear any noise during the driving or when I parked it.

We have a Tesla Model Y that has a fan noise (that I can hear very easily), which runs sometimes even after we have exited the car, but I think that is to cool down the large battery. Your dealer should be able to tell you if there is a fan that is audible and when it should be on.

@Brazz - Regarding the number of miles indicated on your instrument panel after a full charge of your battery, I think that the computer monitors your recent driving behavior, and the number of miles you got per kwH, and it calculates the new maximum range assuming you will keep driving that way. My most common trip is to a tennis club, which is 3 miles away, but up a hill, and I lose 5-6 miles of indicated range over that trip. Coming home, going downhill, I lose only 3-4 miles of indicated range over the 3 mile trip home. With a few of those trips using up my battery, I charge it up completely and it tells me that I have 32 - 33 miles of range available on the full battery.

I just completed a 230 mile trip yesterday, going down a 7200 foot mountain, and getting about 39 MPG with the combo of battery and ICE, but only one charge of the battery. I got home with zero miles left on my battery and after charging it completely overnight, the max range on the full battery showed 38 miles, instead of the typical 32-33 miles. I assume that is because the computer saw how I got a lot of miles on my battery on my long trip, and didn't know that it was due to driving down a mountain, with a lot of coasting, and braking, that regenerates power back to the batter. It thinks I can replicate that low level of power consumption, which is incorrect.
bjterp00 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 08:47 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Back to trickle chargers, this time with a 2023 4EHST which I will be leaving Ieaving in garage for three weeks. I tried my charge at pro but when plugged into central 12 v under armrest all was fine for 15-30 minutes then it switched back off and left charger in error mode. I called my dealer who suggested charging under hood but then called back to say that the 12 v was charged by the traction battery and I should leave that plugged in without need for chargomat.

all the good conversation between Saratoga Lefty, Wilson Laidlaw and others was for 971-1. Is that valid for 971-2?

Any suggestions as too how to answer my query gratefully received.
Old 07-17-2023, 06:25 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I particularly notice the fan noise and feel the vibration through the steering wheel, when my Panamera has been sitting in the sun at my house in the south of France. I am usually in electric mode going from my house to the little supermarket in the village for groceries, so any extraneous noise is very evident. This fan stays on for about 5 minutes and then switches off. I have been told variously that it is cooling the radiator with the battery cooling water in it, cooling the battery itself or cooling the inverter changing DC from the traction battery to AC for the electric motor. No definitive answer I regret. I have heard it a couple of times when cruising at 100 MPH+ in Germany on a very hot day.

I have been given to understand that the DC to DC converter for charging the 12V service battery, only runs when the car is switched on. There is no 12V charging mechanism when the car is not in operation but plugged into a traction battery charger. I don't know if Porsche updated this for the 971-2 model - they should have as the 12V battery can easily fall below minimum activation voltage when left for a few weeks in very cold weather, even when being given a nightly traction battery charge. I now leave a Noko booster in the car during the winter as nothing is more annoying than having an important appointment, then finding that the car will not activate because the service battery is down below 12V. I have a lead that goes from the Noko booster to the auxiliary socket in the boot/trunk. It only needs 5 seconds of connection before the car will activate and the DC to DC converter kicks in.

Wilson
bjterp00 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 03:05 PM
MKC91
Instructor

@bjterp00 - I've heard this from time to time when parked outside on a very hot day and even when starting up in my garage, again when the inside temperature is in the high 30's.
bjterp00 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 08:40 AM
Thunderthumbs
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I also get a very loud, vibrating fan noise on hot days when the car has been sitting in the sun. Goes away after a couple minutes. But, I've not had it come on during driving. I've asked the dealership to look into it twice, both times the tell me it's normal. Sounds to me its working harder then it should, but I'm told it's not. Irritating nonetheless, but ultimately doesn't affect performance.
bjterp00 (07-18-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 06:14 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 167 Posts

Mine (22 4E) is charging right now (after a 3 hour trip) in the 100+ degree garage and the loud fan is on. Based on the past, it will go off in a bit. It sometimes comes on when I start the car in E mode after it has been out in the sun. Sounds about like a Lexus at high idle. I don't know that I have ever heard it while driving other than the first 5 minutes on a hot day. No vibration to speak of.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:21 PM
bjterp00
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks all ... my dealer offered to take a look. I may take it in Friday or Saturday morning for a quick check, and will post back what they say, though I'm guessing it will be 'we don't see a problem in the diagnostics log' or 'it's normal' based on what you all shared.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread