Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attaching the buildsheet :-)
Attached Images
Old 11-09-2023, 01:17 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Auto lock only locks the car after a time interval if you unlocked it and then never opened a door. It doesn't automatically lock the car if you walk away. Congratulations on the new car!
The following 2 users liked this post by H2Owon:
MKC91 (11-09-2023), servmitter (11-09-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:25 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice build, especially with RWS. The mileage on battery is typical for 2018, even if you start out with stead 28-30. Locking the car is by touching the dimple of any door handle. Enjoy it!
The following users liked this post:
servmitter (01-15-2024)
Old 11-16-2023, 02:24 AM
BertilDator
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What is this?

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but after some maintenance at the Porsche shop, I found this from the trunk. It says ER. Is it perhaps the emergency release open for the charging port latch that I haven't been able to find? Just wondering as I continue having problems opening the charging port latch and am about to take the car in for repairs for that.

EDIT: Yes, it would appear to be the release thing for charging port latch. They had the charging port mechanism at the Porsche center and the person told it does have such red thing also for my 2018.

Last edited by BertilDator; 11-16-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:18 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm hoping it's not the release for the charging port: https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...4e-hybrid.html
Old 11-16-2023, 12:14 PM
Av8ordoug
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As you know, there is a side panel covering the area where a release should be. I looked at that area this morning to see if I could find a release (if there is one). All I found was an indentation in the panel, just above the release for the left rear seatback and the courtesy light. Hanging out of that recess is a cloth loop. I pulled on it (gently) but nothing happened.. The panel seems to run from the very back of the cargo compartment, to the back of the rear seat, so I wasn't inclined to try removing the entire panel. I know this doesn't help much, but what may be a clue is that there is a smaller panel on the right side that covers the 12 v battery. and the tire inflation kit. Between the two is an orange ring connected to a cable. I believe that ring is the release for the fuel door. So if they used a ring (as opposed to a disc like in your photo), I would think they would use the same type of device for the charge door. There is another thread I read a few weeks ago about water accumulating inside the charge door. As I recall, something was mentioned about the door release in that thread.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (11-25-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 12:28 PM
Av8ordoug
Intermediate

I just looked in the owner's manual, page 89 shows and describes the "Emergency Unlocking of charge port door". It describes pulling the release "strap" and points, more or less, to the indentation I described. My guess is that "loop" or "strap" is the release. My car is charging now so the door is open and that may be why nothing happened when I pulled it.
Old 01-15-2024, 03:12 PM
R32kid
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

So happy to join this thread after weeks of reading through it all! I have recently consolidated my daily commuter 2015 BMW i3 BEV and my ‘date night’ 2011 Boxster 6 speed into a 2018 EH sedan, and I couldn’t be happier! I still have my two 6 speed cars, a 964 C4 coupe and 986S, for more engaged experiences, but needed to downsize the fleet.

I smile ear to ear when I look at it. The Chalk (crayon) and black/polished lip 21s are not how I would have specced the car but really make it stand out. I love having comfort access again, it’s one of those options that becomes a necessity once you have it. The rear bench seat was a plus to me given I have a young son, but really wish it had the upgraded 7.2 kW charger as I am constantly out and about with chargers available in LA. I would have skipped the powered rear shades and sport tailpipes to get some more performance options, carbon interior over the wood it has, etc., but the car was available close by for a decent price and I wanted to make the change.

I don’t like the garage door opener; had to pull fuses to program it, and have to be very very close to the unit to get it to open from the outside, which puts me in danger of being hit with the metal gate! I use the handheld opener instead from time to time.

Bose is not impressive in this car like it was in the Boxster, but that also had the sub right behind me. I know Burmeister was the way to go if you could afford it, and wanted it.

I will try to do left foot braking and see if that helps, as I don’t love the brake feel at slow speeds. Thanks for the tip Wilson!

The following 2 users liked this post by R32kid:
MKC91 (01-15-2024), Wilson Laidlaw (01-16-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 03:45 PM
newby porsche
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the market

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market to buy a 2018 Porsche 4 Panamera e hybrid, but I've hesitated to get it. I was hoping that this thread could help me make the decision. For anyone that bought this model new or used what issues have you dealt with and what was the outcome of those issues regarding price and length of wait to get it fix? My biggest worries are the turbos, spoiler, crankshaft, battery, and suspension. But please anyone who has experience with this car feel free to answer and thank you for helping me.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:13 PM
Zola3515
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 2018 EHST that I bought with 38000 miles and sold with 46,000 14 months later when I got a 2023 version. It was a in great shape had no problems with me or in the fairly extensive service records that I had. The present 2013 is definitely sharper than the 2018 but it also has rear axle steering and more electronic goodies. I was very happy with my 2018 at about now half the price of the 2023. Of course some have problems but I had none.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:35 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

-7ºC last night and my Panamera did not like it. The 12V service battery had obviously dropped below the minimum service value which I believe is 11.9V and this triggered the Vodafone Telematics Alarm and I received multiple phone calls from Vodafone, insisting the car was being stolen. This was around midnight. When I went out and looked, it was still there but the alarm was sounding and the lights flashing. The battery was sufficiently low that the electrically operated boot would not open from both low voltage and stuck with ice and the driver's door was also stuck with ice. After some spraying with a spare deicer bottle in the house, I got the driver's door open and opened the bonnet, where there are jumper cable points. I put a Noco lithium booster on those and although the car still would not start, I managed to get the boot lid to activate and lift. There I put the 12V battery on charge overnight and all is well this morning.

In a really stupid omission, Porsche did not add a 12V service battery tender/trickle charger to the 240V/32A power supply input socket which charges the hybrid lithium traction battery. If the service battery falls below 11.9V, the car will not wake up and activate the DC to DC converter to charge the 12V battery from the 400V lithium battery and the 12V battery needs to be charged from a different external source. This was a new battery last autumn from the Porsche dealer, hoping to prevent this nonsense. Admittedly I have used the car only once since mid-December, as I was overseas over Christmas and New Year and have only done one 9 mile trip since returning. I have gone into winter hibernate mode.

This seems to be a VW group failing. The various Bugattis my brother has owned (Veyron, Veyron Super Sport and Chiron) all need to be put on charge whenever left for more than a few hours. On the earlier Veyron cars, if the battery voltage fell too low, you could not even recharge but had to summon an engineer from Molsheim with a special laptop to reinitialise all the computers at very considerable cost. My previous 997 Turbo S would die if left at an airport for more than two weeks and need a jump start, as a result I would leave it at home on a trickle charger and use a different car or taxi to get to the airport.

Wilson
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
jsdinky (01-17-2024), MKC91 (01-19-2024), V10EHS (01-21-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 11:45 AM
newby porsche
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Zola3515
I had a 2018 EHST that I bought with 38000 miles and sold with 46,000 14 months later when I got a 2023 version. It was a in great shape had no problems with me or in the fairly extensive service records that I had. The present 2013 is definitely sharper than the 2018 but it also has rear axle steering and more electronic goodies. I was very happy with my 2018 at about now half the price of the 2023. Of course some have problems but I had none.
Thank you for your response, was there anything in specific that you looking for when getting the car. Service history? mileage? ETC
Old 01-17-2024, 01:58 PM
Av8ordoug
Intermediate

I have had a 2018 Turismo for 3 months, so not really enough experience. No problems so far. I used the forum when I was trying to decide and had concerns about the cost of potential repairs. There is no way to predict this and I really like the looks and the plug-in hybrid aspect, so I bought it. No regrets so far. The e-battery will charge in approximately 2 hours on a 220 v circuit. The actual charger is in the car and can be a 4 point something or 7.2 kW unit. It depends on what was specified in the original build. I have found that I can drive approximately 27 miles on a charge except at higher speed on the interstate where it get approximately 22-23 miles per charge. I took a 1400 mile round trip in November, all in hybrid mode. I got 30 MPG overall.

I had a problem with the charger that came with the car, a Porsche gen 1 unit that requires entering a 4-digit code to use it. I didn't have the code, nor did the previous owner. Porsche wanted ~$600 to unlock it. I bought a Tesla charger and a J1772 adaptor on ebay and am very happy with it. One day when I was really bored I decided to see if I could crack the Porsche charger code starting with 0001 and worked my way up into the thousands until I got it to unlock. I continue to use the Tesla charger which will operate on 110 volts ( I installed and use a 220 v circuit ).

There are still things on the car that I don't understand. The manual doesn't help much.

Overall the car seems to be well engineered. If something breaks and you have to take it to a Porsche dealer, it will be an expensive fix, if for no other reason than the dealer's hourly labor charge.. There may be independent shops that can work on some parts of the car, but probably not on the hybrid aspect. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-19-2024, 01:09 PM
newby porsche
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Av8ordoug
I have had a 2018 Turismo for 3 months, so not really enough experience. No problems so far. I used the forum when I was trying to decide and had concerns about the cost of potential repairs. There is no way to predict this and I really like the looks and the plug-in hybrid aspect, so I bought it. No regrets so far. The e-battery will charge in approximately 2 hours on a 220 v circuit. The actual charger is in the car and can be a 4 point something or 7.2 kW unit. It depends on what was specified in the original build. I have found that I can drive approximately 27 miles on a charge except at higher speed on the interstate where it get approximately 22-23 miles per charge. I took a 1400 mile round trip in November, all in hybrid mode. I got 30 MPG overall.

I had a problem with the charger that came with the car, a Porsche gen 1 unit that requires entering a 4-digit code to use it. I didn't have the code, nor did the previous owner. Porsche wanted ~$600 to unlock it. I bought a Tesla charger and a J1772 adaptor on ebay and am very happy with it. One day when I was really bored I decided to see if I could crack the Porsche charger code starting with 0001 and worked my way up into the thousands until I got it to unlock. I continue to use the Tesla charger which will operate on 110 volts ( I installed and use a 220 v circuit ).

There are still things on the car that I don't understand. The manual doesn't help much.

Overall the car seems to be well engineered. If something breaks and you have to take it to a Porsche dealer, it will be an expensive fix, if for no other reason than the dealer's hourly labor charge.. There may be independent shops that can work on some parts of the car, but probably not on the hybrid aspect. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Thank you for your answer, I'm still looking right now but this does give me some insight into the car
Old 01-21-2024, 02:36 AM
servmitter
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a tough time getting the My Porsche Vodaphone service to work on 2018 E-Hybrid. Only reason I'm interested is to use the remote preheat and cool feature. Vodaphone took over 2 months just to clear the previous owner's account. I've taken the new activation code to the dealer and they're running into snags when programming the code. Walnut Creek Porsche is nice enough to attempt this at no charge though. Anyone else have issues with this? Dealer has opened a ticket with Porsche and leaning toward replacing some module that handles the this remote connectivity.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread