Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 12:34 PM
eyeballs19
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can the ‘21-23 4S e-hybrid run a 19” wheel? I keep searching and getting contradictory info. I know the 4 e hybrid can use a 19”, I know the 4S can use a 19”, but know the GTS cannot fit a 19” due to the larger 390mm rotor. Cannot figure out what rotor the 4S hybrid uses.

I’d love to run a 19” winter on my ‘23 4S e hybrid ST, give me a fighting chance against these wheel-eating potholes.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:55 PM
eyeballs19
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyeballs19
Can the ‘21-23 4S e-hybrid run a 19” wheel? I keep searching and getting contradictory info. I know the 4 e hybrid can use a 19”, I know the 4S can use a 19”, but know the GTS cannot fit a 19” due to the larger 390mm rotor. Cannot figure out what rotor the 4S hybrid uses.
I’m going to answer my own question for posterity since I finally found a definitive answer from Porsche— I have a 390mm front rotor on my ‘23 4S ehybrid ST because the V6 Sport Turismos all run a 390mm (up from 350mm on the sedans, so the same as the GTS). Never did figure out for the hybrid sedan. So no 19” for me.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:45 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 253 Likes on 170 Posts

Sorry.

Too, bad, too...I use my 19" for summer tires and to me they feel great.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:31 AM
Oran C
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I’m looking at a 2018 ehybrid with 74k, of which 30k was done with zero emission, from the trip info. I checked the paper work from the previous owner that back in Oct 2023, at similar mileage, the brake pads measured ~6-7mm for both front and rear. I’m wondering if they will be due very soon as I couldn’t find the thickness of new pads. And normally how soon the rotors and pads should be replaced on a ehybrid ? There are also tons of brake dust, is it normal ? As I dun find this much from my other Porsches. The car is a consignment in a dealership.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:09 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Brake dust is a bit unusual, given the tungsten carbide (WC) coated brake discs. My 2017 Panamera E-Hybrid seems to accumulate very little brake dust compared with say my 1977 911 RSR with 917 iron brakes but my Panamera has only done 23K from new. I suspect this 74K car may have worn through the WC coating and be down into the underlying cast iron. The estimated life of the tungsten carbide coating is 50-70,000 miles, according to Porsche. For non-carbon brakes, they work very well for most applications, although they don't quite have the sensation of a giant hand grabbing you at high speeds, like the PCCB (Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes) ones did on my 997 Turbo S. On the other hand they don't have the heart stopping 1/2 second delay in working in very wet conditions that the PCCB do, until they clear the water off the surface and reach operating temperature. I am told that the latest PCC brakes are better in this aspect. Ferrari get round this problem on carbon brakes, by having an algorithm on the ABS that regularly dabs the brakes when the wipers are working, to keep the surfaces clear of water and warm in wet conditions.

Wilson
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (03-18-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 05:52 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

What is Porsche going to do to support Panamera owners after the 3G mobile data network switch off in the UK, being proposed for later this year? I am told the data may stop working or is 2018's data module 4G LTE compatible? Will the navigation and traffic information as well as data services stop working? If true this is not too impressive on a £100K+ car. It should have been 4G right from the get go, given that 4G started in the UK and many other countries in 2012, 5 years before the introduction of the 971 Panamera. I believe in the USA Porsche is offering a free module update to a 4G LTE. Is this applicable in the UK?

Wilson
Old 03-04-2024, 04:33 PM
Tom McInally
3rd Gear

I own a 2018 Panamera 4 V6 hybrid and just completed 60k servicing at Porsche dealer due to extended warranty. That said, they told me the rotors and pads were fine for the time being with a measurement similar to what you list though I do not remember specifics and it was not quoted in the final report and invoice. Suggest you ask two dealers (for comparison) and at least one independent for quotes and you will find out what you need to know in those discussions. I would love to know what you find out as the need to replace both pads and rotors in the future is a known though as yet undetermined expense.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:33 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I asked Porsche UK this a few months ago, they said ask your dealer, I did and they had no idea! Surely they can do a 4G change some how?
Old 03-06-2024, 04:37 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

This is the response I have had from Porsche GB:Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited.

We have received your email and your enquiry has been passed to a Personal Case Manager for response. We are currently experiencing a high level of customer contact and we aim to respond within 5 working days from today. However, we do appreciate your patience if our response extends past this time.

In other words they will keep me waiting for a couple of weeks then give me the brush off or tell me to contact my dealer. Given the cost of the vehicle and how disabled it will be by the absence of cellular communications, I would have thought it might be a case for a class action suit by owners in the absence of positive action by Porsche GB. One could argue that Porsche were negligent by installing an obsolescent communication system in the vehicle, when the correct system was readily available during the development process. There is precedent if Porsche USA is offering a FOC upgrade to US owners, which means in effect Porsche have admitted their liability.

Wilson
Old 03-06-2024, 01:07 PM
H2Owon
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

The navigation and traffic use the LTE module while the Porsche Connect application uses the 3G module in the US . There are two radios in the car. My MY 2018 3G module was not upgradable according to Porsche so my use of the Porsche Connect application ended when our 3G was turned off. My navigation and traffic continue to work just fine.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:57 PM
TaraFirma
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

How has the hybrid battery life been on the 17+ e-hybrid Panameras? I'm looking to get into another one, but it's been almost 4 years since I traded in my 14 S e-hybrid. Just wondering if there has been battery issues. If so, how has Porsche handled them. If not, what are the options and cost of replacements.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:32 PM
Av8ordoug
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2018 Turismo with 38k miles. No issues but I don’t know what the symptoms would be of an impending failure. Out of curiosity I searched for batteries. One used advertised in So Cal at $14k with 1 year warranty Another used in Florida at $7.8 k. On line Porsche dealers describe every sub component but not the battery itself.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:02 PM
Av8ordoug
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This isn’t too timely, and maybe turismos are different from sedans, but my Turismo has 2 usb ports at the base of the center console in the back seat area. I have been using the usb port in the center console for connecting my iPhone to PCMS to get CarPlay. I have the same issue with placing the phone. It will fit on-edge in the center console but will overheat, so not a solution. I have ordered a usb dongle to plug into the center console usb port and allow me to make the iPhone (or Android option when ordering) connection wirelessly. Hopefully this works and the phone goes in the door or pants pocket.
Old 03-10-2024, 06:28 PM
Tom McInally
3rd Gear

I have had my 2018 971 V6 hybrid with not quite 60k miles since May 2023. The range at 28 stated miles is not great but okay for around town and as an assist on longer drives, particularly using ACC on the 405 going to LAX. I will share that I encountered an Porsche factory engineer supporting EV Porsches at Rennsport 7 in Monterrey last Sept 2023.. He related that Porsche would be releasing a 970 battery replacement because of shorter than expected life span. He also stated that the 971 battery should last the life of the car and that the upcoming 972 could have double the range. Hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:20 AM
Thebig1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Update on 3G issue from Porsche:Thank you for your email.

Upon receipt of your email, I contacted Porsche Cars Great Britain's Technical Department who confirmed Porsche AG are currently aware that the 3G network is due to be switched off. They are currently looking in to this matter to see if any vehicles will be affected by this.

More information will be released to the Porsche Centre's by Porsche AG when it is available. Therefore, I would recommend staying connected with your local or preferred Porsche Centre.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread