Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 07:12 PM
Nvrfollow
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MCW100
well hey at least you have the S. I honestly never use the full power of the 550 so it's more about the experience I'm afraid of losing. Good to hear that you feel handling is better
I checked every box when it came to options that enhanced handling. The PASM is standard on the 4SEH. I also chose PDCC/PTV and rear axle steering. The car stays very flat during hard corners. It feels odd in the beginning as I was used to body roll in other cars. After I did it a couple of times, I found I could push the car even harder in corners which I really enjoy. Straight line speed is fun but hard corners are more thrilling to me. I will upgrade to ultra high performance summer tires once I wear out these all season Pirellis.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:20 PM
Tosa5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2022 4S e-hybrid Panamera with rear axle steering but without the PDDC, and I am very impressed with how well it handles (even after having driven a 2005 BMW M3 for 17 years).

To me, the overwhelming advantage of staying with the e-hybrid you ordered is:
1. It is speced out exactly as you want it vs you having to accept the colors, etc of the used GTS (by the way, you will get a lot of Alacantra in the GTS that seems nice, but I would worry that it will wear down to a shiny spots after a couple of years). The suspension of the GTS might be stiffer than the 3-hybrid, which you should check on. It's important to me to have a very smooth ride while I'm on a road trip with my wife, and the GTS may not be able to provide the same smooth ride. With PASM, the Sport/Sport+ mode in my car is plenty stiff, and the e-power and e-hybrid modes are very smooth, absorbing bumps.
2. You said the acceleration is not a big deal to you, so that's not a reason to buy the faster GTS. The GTS will have the same turbo lag you experienced in the Turbo test drive last weekend, vs. none in the e-hybrid you ordered.
3. The huge advantage of getting a brand new car that is perfect, vs. buying something that is 2 years old and even with low mileage, who knows what the prior owner did that might have caused some damage that could surface in a couple of years. The value you get from the GTS to compensate for being a 'used car' is a.) faster 0-60 which you said you don't care about, b.) sound of the V8 (my V6 sounds great with the Sport Exhaust, but I don't know if your 4 e-hybrid's ICE will sound the same) c.) slightly more nimble handling given that it is 600 LBS lighter. To me that would not compensate for taking a car that someone else drove for 10,000 miles, and not knowing how it was treated. Full disclosure, I drive my cars for 10-15 years and bond with them, so I care a lot about the value of a new car which I will take very good care of vs. the risk of buying a used car.
4. The resale value of your 2023 will be better because it is 2 years newer. If you sell your e-hybrid in 4 years, for example, many more people (given the rapid growth of the EV trend) will value the electric motor in your e-hybrid.
5. I really enjoy driving up to 30 miles on a charge in all-electric mode, which means that all of my driving around town is electric, and I love plugging my car in on my driveway to get very cheap power vs. paying $6/gallon here in California. I love switching into e-hybrid mode for road trips, and Sport/Sport+ for my mountain road adventures. It's a swiss army knife car.

All of this is very subjective, and this is just my 2 cents as points to consider.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 11:42 PM
jbkanas
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

My e hybrid I ordered in January is arriving this weekend. Obviously since that time the tax credit has gone away and used car prices have dropped precipitously. I really went with the hybrid as a lower cost way to boost performance than the 4S. Savings at the pump is not a priority for me. There's a 2021 GTS with 10,000 miles on it available near me at exactly the same price point. I plan on test driving it on Friday, but am curious to hear your thoughts on how satisfied you are with your hybrid.

I have an M550 right now and love the sound and feel of a V8. I test drove a 2019 Panamera Turbo last weekend and wasn't impressed with the lag. Many people also say they can feel the additional weight of the hybrids but I doubt most people truly can. Thanks!
I have had my 2022 eHybrid Sport Tourismo for slightly under a year. I am very satisfied in all respects. Performance is excellent, and throttle response is immediate, regardless of drive mode. It does not have the overall sports car feel of my 986 Boxster S; It is very civilized. I do have the 4-wheel steering option, which may lessen the sense of driving a large car; It seems very nimble, even in tight parking and traffic. Very impressive to drive in the mountains, and it's very nice to be able to use it in town for a week or two without consuming any petroleum.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:36 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

My 4 E-Hybrid does not have the RWS, as I took over someone else's order. I had ordered RWS on my long delayed and subsequently cancelled order for a ST 4 E-Hybrid when I took over the other 4 E-Hybrid (non ST) already built order. I would far rather have had the RWS than the sports exhaust on mine, which were about the same price options. If I compare the experience of driving mine compared with my brother's Turbo Panamera which does have RWS, mine feels noticeably more tail heavy than my brother's. I would strongly suggest than anyone ordering either 4, 4S or Turbo E-Hybrid order Rear Wheel Steering.

Wilson
Old 11-17-2022, 11:40 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

My e hybrid I ordered in January is arriving this weekend. Obviously since that time the tax credit has gone away and used car prices have dropped precipitously. I really went with the hybrid as a lower cost way to boost performance than the 4S. Savings at the pump is not a priority for me. There's a 2021 GTS with 10,000 miles on it available near me at exactly the same price point. I plan on test driving it on Friday, but am curious to hear your thoughts on how satisfied you are with your hybrid.

I have an M550 right now and love the sound and feel of a V8. I test drove a 2019 Panamera Turbo last weekend and wasn't impressed with the lag. Many people also say they can feel the additional weight of the hybrids but I doubt most people truly can. Thanks!
I went from a BMW F10 to a 2022 Panamera 4S E-Hybrid. I don’t miss the F10 and the V8. I haven’t driven the 4 E-Hybrid but speaking from my experience with the 4S E-Hybrid, it is super powerful and much faster. It also has virtually no turbo lag which is awesome. I actually like the classic V6 sound of the Porsche too. I think you’d be happier with the 4 E-Hybrid. It should have plenty of power and go, plus if you ordered it, you customized it how you like and it’s always nice to have the new car from day 1.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:09 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Im still having concerns around the heating while in e power only. I cant get it to do more than approx 25F difference outside to in. Which means when its around freezing, I get barely lukeewarm temp inside, a tepid 55ish or so. Preheating does not really improve it, just gets there a little quicker. Anyone else struggling to get the temps up on e power alone?
Old 11-21-2022, 09:05 AM
BertilDator
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have moisture under the charging port buttons and light on my 2018 e-hybrid ST. Going to repair shop, but earliest time was in mid December, so now when temperature drops below zero, the buttons freeze, so cannot press the lower button to disconnect charging cable. Need to warm the button for a few minutes first Question is, does anyone know is it possible to (perhaps just a screwdriver) to pop the button&charging light cover open so I could dry it underneath?

Last edited by BertilDator; 11-21-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:37 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by BertilDator
I have moisture under the charging port buttons and light on my 2018 e-hybrid ST. Going to repair shop, but earliest time was in mid December, so now when temperature drops below zero, the buttons freeze, so cannot press the lower button to disconnect charging cable. Need to warm the button for a few minutes first Question is, does anyone know is it possible to (perhaps just a screwdriver) to pop the button&charging light cover open so I could dry it underneath?
I had the same problem in previous years. I put it in a garage with a 3kW heater fan blowing at the port from about 4 to 5 feet away and after a day it was completely moisture free and dry with buttons unstuck. The problem is water enters through the latch hole if the car is charging outside, like mine is (the only place I could have a 230V/32A supply). I now have a piece of aviation speed tape inside the charging flap on the car side, which flops down across the latch hole when the flap is open but can be folded up on itself to shut and latch the flap. You have to be careful not to latch the flap shut through the tape or that can jam it. I also spray the buttons with moisture repellent. I have had no problems with non-functional buttons or freezing latches since (I had previously managed to break two of these ridiculously fragile catches, when trying to close the flap with ice in the latch hole).

Wilson
BertilDator (11-25-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 03:44 AM
BertilDator
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery heating

As there is liquid cooling for the high voltage battery, was wondering is there perhaps heating for it as well? As I charge my car every night during the cheaper electricity prices I came to think would there be any benefit of leaving the "power on" for the charger after the battery is full - such as if it would heat the battery now when it is below zero temperatures.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:12 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Here is my latest version of the rain/snow prevention system for the Panamera charge port latch. I am using 3M aircraft grade 47011548 aluminium tape (Amazon). I will do it again more (much!) neatly, when my very arthritic hands are not as cold and shaking as much, after a lot of cleaning with naphtha to get the old hardened adhesive off from the previous duct tape. Still this will work until I do it better and will keep water and snow out of the latch hole, which can then freeze and prevent the charge port door from latching shut or in fact, can even break the latch due to the expansion of the ice. Just what one expects, to have to use a few pennyworth of tape, to cure a design fault on a £100,000+ car. The aluminium tape bends up and stays up far better than the previous duct tape version did when shutting the door. A few weeks ago I shut the door in the dark, with the latch prong going through the old duct tape and had to use a plastic spudger to open the charge door again, as the latch was all gummed up with bits of torn tape, which I then had to pick out with a pair of micro needle nose pliers.

Wilson

Old 12-05-2022, 01:45 AM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Wilson,
I've been around long enough to know about your issues with the charge port latch [and others] Lucky for me that I can park my car in the garage, especially during the Canadian winters. I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but my 2018 has a slightly different design, right down to the button icons. The times I have had it parked outside charging (at the office), I've been lucky.

I've had my latch "fixed" and replaced under warranty.

-- Mike

Last edited by MKC91; 12-05-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:33 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Mike,

It looks like your charge socket/plug is slightly different as well. That almost looks like a Type One socket whereas mine is a standard European/US Type Two. I don't know if they have changed the socket again, so that they can use the Porsche/VW/Mercedes Ionity chargers, albeit in low current mode, not the 350kW/H that the Taycan can charge at. Ionity does not seem to have taken off well in France, as only some of the Autoroute Aires have them and I see them quite often with a bag over them, indicating that they are dead. France seems to be well behind the curve for charging infrastructure, other than for Teslas, behind even the normally dilatory UK. This cannot be helping their car industry where Renault and Peugeot already offer quite a few BEV's and Renault have done so for some years. I nearly bought a Renault Twizy for a local run about after my Yamaha Raptor 700 sports ATV was stolen at my French house but the very high battery leasing cost/month put me off, as for 6 months of the year, it would sit unused. I use a Morgan Three Wheeler instead. Even if you buy a Twizy second hand (they are cheap), you still have to go and lease a battery, as if it was a brand new car. You cannot buy a used battery that will work, as it has to be coded to the Twizy's VIN by a Renault dealer, which Renault forbids them from doing.

Wilson
Old 12-05-2022, 05:33 AM
V10EHS
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm having a similar debate myself. I've got a Turbo S EH on order but Porsche have pulled a few options. I could buy a stocked non-Hybrid Turbo S brand new, which has a massive spec instead (and has the missing options). So this is really about Hybrid VS Non-Hybrid. I got tremendous value/fuel savings out of my 4S E-H earlier this year as capabilities exactly matched my use case so it works for me, I know. But I'm so done waiting, and there may be a deal to be done with the stocked car.
Sounds ridiculous but my previous Hybrid had the auxiliary heater too which I loved - set the temp before you get in etc. This new Turbo S (non EH) won't/doesn't have it. And I'd miss it. I'm all confused haha!
Old 12-05-2022, 07:56 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

There is I have been told, a BEV version of the Panamera is due out at the same time as the next major Panamera refresh, 2025 for 2026 model year, to take at least the ICE/Hybrid Panamera though to end of production life in 2030, with possible BEV sales continuing, demand dependent. This will have a very big battery to rival if not surpass the Mercedes EOS in range, be available in the executive length only and possibly have a three speed gearbox at the rear to maximise electric traction in its optimal rev range. Presumably Porsche are looking to pick up a good proportion of the cars for EU ministers/executives plus other government big wigs, who will be replacing their ICE vehicles around this time, so that they would have a choice from the Merc EOS and BMW i7. The Panamera BEV would seem to cover a fair bit of the same ground as the Taycan, so I am rather dubious about this. A long wheelbase Taycan, allowing a larger skateboard battery and a three speed gearbox in place of the current two speed, would seem to make more sense, with far lower development costs but may be seen as too sporty, to pick up executive/government sales.

Wilson

MKC91 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 01:02 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

One of those mornings you wish you had never got up. I had arranged a family dinner tonight where I am doing a Raclette Supper with me doing all the buying, drinks, setting up, cooking the baby potatoes, making salads etc.

Went out this morning (-7ºC) and the Panamera was as dead as a dodo, saying electrical fault - park safely - as if it would move at all! I have come across this before on cold mornings and normally I just plug my CTEK 7.0 into the boot auxiliary power socket and it will all say hello immediately. Nothing doing this morning, so called up the rescue folk, which is a freebee with my bank account (I will be paying for it one way or another) and booked a recovery to my nearest Porsche dealer where I also booked it in. I left the 12V battery on charge and when I went out to meet the recovery truck a couple of hours later, I gave it one last go and it fired up perfectly with no error messages. Meanwhile I had had to borrow my wife's Abarth to go and collect the shopping order but she needed the car back ASAP to go to see patients, so I was not able to do the rest of the shopping.

I decided given its 5+ year age, it was time to change the 12V AGM battery. Ordered one from my local auto parts store, Halfords, and to my surprise, they had one in stock at £200 plus a £25 fitting charge. When I arrived at Halfords the first guy who came out was clueless and knew nothing about providing a back up power supply when the battery is disconnected. They then spotted an instruction in their back room saying; "Manager only to change Porsche, Bentley and similar vehicle batteries". So where is the manager? - Gone off to lunch. So I ask if they can phone him to ascertain how long he is likely to be. It turned out he hed finished his lunch and would be starting back soon. 15 cold minutes later he had arrived. He took one look at my Panamera and said: "Thats the new model isn't it?" Halfords have not bought the update for their OBD2 scanning/battery changing tool and when plugged into the OBD port, it said "Non" with nothing newer than a 2015 Macan on the list of supported cars. I therefore made a detour via the Porsche dealer to arrange for a battery to be fitted when it is in on Tuesday, no doubt at all at double the price of the Halfords one. The Panamera is with them anyway for investigation of a GPS antenna fault on the anti-theft tracking system. Well at least I got the rest of the shopping done but now I am totally exhausted but have to rouse my self to get beavering in the kitchen.

Wilson

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread