Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 06:50 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had my 2022 E-hybrid ST Panamera 4 for about 6 weeks now. Mostly used it in or around town, a few longer trips. Right now on a pan-europe trek with the family, with limited ability to charge the high-voltage battery. I have had the chance to run on the German autobahn for a few days at all kinds of speeds (well the family didn't want +200 km/h so we only went up there once or twice for fun, but regular sprints to 180 are totally cool. The car accelerates great at these speeds and is very stable. We also went to the Porsche museum in Stuttgart today :-)

Anyway, I can't quite get to grips with all the hybrid modes. I know what they do and understand, I just don't get why they are how they are and I keep switching and fiddling depending on if cruising in a queue (german "stau" or roadworks) or if gunning it and cruising at 160-180. In any of the hybrid modes (auto, charge or hold), it seems it doesnt really use the electric motor to "top up" acceleration, and doesnt charge intensively when braking - why not? In hybrid auto the electric motor seems detuned, anything but a slow deceleration at 120 km/h so lights up the ICE, and if I switch to Electric only, the electric motor is stronger and I can accelerate with it up to 140 (although slow but possible). Why would they design the modes this way, what am I missing? This is not critique, I totally trust the german engineers, but I need to understand the thinking better. In Hybrid Auto it slowly depletes the battery despite mostly running on ICE and a bar of green "charge" is lit constantly. Only full throttle in hybrid mode will give a lot of electric acceleration bars, I would have expected it to first use all the electric motor has to give, then use the gas engine.

Since I can't charge it at night, should I let it run the high-voltage battery to "0" (which I know is like 10% in reality) as Hybrid auto slowly depletes it or should I every now and then run it in Hybrid Charge mode to keep it with a few bars of green, i.e. like 20% or more for use in Sport or Sport Plus which I think should be used when going for the 160-180 high cruise speed?

Last edited by Black_on_black; 07-05-2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:25 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

When I am in the UK where queues and traffic jams on our motorways (autobahns/autoroutes) are common, so when not in queue, I set the hybrid mode to E-Charge. This is so that when I come into the next queue, I can change to Hybrid Auto or E mode with a well charged battery. This means that while I am crawling forward or stop-starting in the queue, my ICE is not running, wasting fuel and quiet reigns inside my Panamera. Since getting the Panamera in 2017, I have found motorway driving in the UK far less stressful.

Wilson
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilson Laidlaw:
Ingie103 (07-18-2022), movan (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:29 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Cheers Wilson, started doing that and it makes more sense that way. Means a little bit of fiddling but have set it up so that Apps gives me the choice of Hybrid drive modes, so as few clicks as possible. Started thinking that perhaps Porsche should have made a second "manettino"/twist **** on the left side of the steering wheel to choose hybrid drive mode...
The following users liked this post:
movan (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 05:10 PM
16PanaHybrid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the older 2016 version, but I use the same methodology to keep the battery above 80% or so when not in city/stop and go traffic. Even though I don't have the fancy apps screen y'all do, I was able to program my single customizable steering wheel button to E-Charge, so a quick press will put me into charge mode and another press will put me back into standard hybrid mode.

I've noticed on the 2016 that when the hybrid battery hits 20% the car goes into a kind of phantom E-Charge mode, where it will use the engine to hold the battery at the 20% mark without actually being in charge mode. I read somewhere awhile back that it does this to retain a reserve of "max boost" capability if the driver suddenly decide to mash the pedal. Of course if I'm locked into stop and go traffic, the hybrid battery can and will reach zero before the engine engages if I'm creeping along at 5-10mph.
Old 07-10-2022, 01:07 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
Started thinking that perhaps Porsche should have made a second "manettino"/twist **** on the left side of the steering wheel to choose hybrid drive mode...
Totally agree. I hate fiddling around poking at the screen when driving and having very arthritic and bent fingers does not help. It is very distracting from safe driving. The next generation of cars will probably eliminate buttons all together and make everything on screen, like I believe a Tesla is. Bad idea.

Wilson
Old 07-10-2022, 01:23 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
Totally agree. I hate fiddling around poking at the screen when driving and having very arthritic and bent fingers does not help. It is very distracting from safe driving. The next generation of cars will probably eliminate buttons all together and make everything on screen, like I believe a Tesla is. Bad idea.

Wilson
I find the adjusting the middle vent using the touch screen particularly annoying, a fiddly task for something that should be quite simple...
​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by jamesbilluk:
Ingie103 (07-11-2022), MKC91 (07-11-2022), Wilson Laidlaw (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Smileycanuck
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesbilluk
I find the adjusting the middle vent using the touch screen particularly annoying, a fiddly task for something that should be quite simple...
​​​
Yes, sadly, the chief designer got carried away that day but at least, it isn't a frequently used control (for me). More annoying on a daily basis is the "rolling pin" used for volume/mute vs. the rotary control used for zoom or selecting screen options. At best, I think they got it backwards but really would prefer to replace the rolling pin altogether.

Of course, then I just put in Sport Plus mode and the smile returns ...
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 11:55 AM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smileycanuck
Yes, sadly, the chief designer got carried away that day but at least, it isn't a frequently used control (for me). More annoying on a daily basis is the "rolling pin" used for volume/mute vs. the rotary control used for zoom or selecting screen options. At best, I think they got it backwards but really would prefer to replace the rolling pin altogether.

Of course, then I just put in Sport Plus mode and the smile returns ...
They did seem to get over excited I think! I've not really had to use it much until this unusually warm weather we've been having in the UK. I definately agree with that! the amount of times I've tried to adust the volume using the rotary wheel. I just use the steering wheel buttons now.

Very true, Sports plus is the way!
Old 07-11-2022, 12:33 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Agreed that they got carried away with the center air vent control. I think it’s just a party trick. People think it’s cool when I show it to them (ha!). It doesn’t bother me though because I hardly ever change it. I set it once and forget it. It’s how it’s always been in my cars.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:33 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brazz
Again, thanks for all the insights. I was curious if the electric assistant on the base motor would provide enough torque for me. I prefer to not code the engine searching for more power. The challenge is finding both models to test drive. Based on the comments, the 4S is the solution. Now finding one is another story.
Update! Joining the club. Picking a 2021 Genetian Blue 4S EHybrid next weekend. Super excited!
The following 2 users liked this post by Brazz:
Ingie103 (07-18-2022), MKC91 (07-15-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 12:36 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Update! Joining the club. Picking a 2021 Genetian Blue 4S EHybrid next weekend. Super excited!
looks awesome, congrats!! Why do you have to wait a week?
Old 07-15-2022, 12:45 PM
Brazz
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
looks awesome, congrats!! Why do you have to wait a week?
I purchased it out of state, and I'm planning to drive it back (8 hours)...getting to know her... Due to scheduling conflicts, the soonest I can get there is next Friday. :
Old 07-15-2022, 01:06 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

I purchased it out of state, and I'm planning to drive it back (8 hours)...getting to know her... Due to scheduling conflicts, the soonest I can get there is next Friday. :
oh gotcha. That will be a fun trip!
Old 07-15-2022, 08:22 PM
jamesbilluk
Advanced

Stunning colour that! Congratulations Enjoy the drive back with it!
Old 07-16-2022, 06:25 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

I have been having communications problems with my Panamera. I was warned by Vodafone UK, my security tracking service provider that the communications module had failed the remote test. The various Porsche apps I have on my phone have now very limited communication with the car, although the locate my car, still does work and seems totally accurate. I used it three weeks ago to find my car in the middle of the night at the mostly unlit P3 parking at Marseille airport, after my flight from Dusseldorf was very delayed. The problem is I am at my French house with the Panamera until October. I spoke to my local dealer in the UK yesterday and apparently what I need to do is to remove the back-up battery from the PCC, wait 15 minutes and then reinsert. This does a forced re-initialisation of the PCC. Supposedly I can get this done at a Porsche Centre but it is quite a long way away, between Toulon and Hyères, where they tend to turn up their noses at right hand drive vehicles and don't provide courtesy cars. Does anyone know where the PCC is located and if it is not buried too deep, I might have a go myself. I do wonder if it might be a good idea to replace the battery, as that might be part of the problem.

Wilson

Last edited by Wilson Laidlaw; 07-16-2022 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread