Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 08:40 AM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

So an update om this. Called my local Service Centre and they said it would be surprising that the high voltage battery coolant / heater would not be working without an error code. I booked the car for diagnostic next week but curiosity is of course what it is…

so I went for a drive and set the A/C to “Eco” and temp on high and boom warm air comes out. If I set it back to “Auto” the A/C is back on and no heat comes out…so it seems I have to run the interior climate on manual. Attaching a photo of my settings, temp in Celsius, where it works.

thing is…one wants the A/C on so it dries the moisture out…

does my experience here reflect others too?

Last edited by Black_on_black; 10-12-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 02:52 AM
BertilDator
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_on_black
So an update om this. Called my local Service Centre and they said it would be surprising that the high voltage battery coolant / heater would not be working without an error code. I booked the car for diagnostic next week but curiosity is of course what it is…

so I went for a drive and set the A/C to “Eco” and temp on high and boom warm air comes out. If I set it back to “Auto” the A/C is back on and no heat comes out…so it seems I have to run the interior climate on manual. Attaching a photo of my settings, temp in Celsius, where it works.

thing is…one wants the A/C on so it dries the moisture out…

does my experience here reflect others too?
I had similar, yet the opposite experience at the end of summer when outside temperature was low, but the sun was shining warm. Cabin temperature rose quite high, still car was pushing warm air to cabin. Of course this is a bit subjective, didn't have thermometer with me.

I'm thinking of two things, first being that could there be issue with cabin temperature sensors (it would be great if one could see the actual temperatures the sensors are reading, maybe via OBD). Second one doesn't necessarily apply yo your case, but for me I was wondering if there would be fault in sun sensor.

Service center didn't say anything for me regarding these, so I didn't at least have any error codes for these. Doesn't necessarily mean there wouldn't be some issue, though.

Last edited by BertilDator; 10-13-2022 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:17 AM
Tosa5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

On a day with 95 degree F heat, my 2022 4SeH did a poor job of cooling the cabin while in electric mode. Had to turn on ICE (Sport mode) to get the A/C to pump out cold air. I assume that in extreme temps, the ICE is needed to provide the full power of the HVAC system.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:26 AM
BertilDator
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosa5
On a day with 95 degree F heat, my 2022 4SeH did a poor job of cooling the cabin while in electric mode. Had to turn on ICE (Sport mode) to get the A/C to pump out cold air. I assume that in extreme temps, the ICE is needed to provide the full power of the HVAC system.
Thanks, that does make sense, I think I wasn't on ICE that time.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:42 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

I haven’t noticed any issues with A/C or heater working properly while in E-Power mode as long as I have the car turned on and running. But it does seem to work better if ICE is on.
Old 10-13-2022, 04:40 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tosa5
I don't think it should be like this. My Panamera lives in the south of France from spring to autumn, where we get temperatures up to 45ºC/113ºF. When I need to do more than basic shopping, for which there is a small but well stocked shop in the village, I have to drive around 11km to the nearest town. My house is at 2,300'/700m of altitude and the big supermarket in the town at around 1,000'/305m altitude, so the road is quite steeply downhill, with lots of hairpin bends. I always do this in Electric only mode and I only use about 1 or 2km of range. By the time my Panamera has reached the end of the small road which runs past the drive to my house and I am turning onto a D road (maybe 1km), the aircon is blowing fully cold.

Wilson
Old 10-13-2022, 11:55 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Exactly! For those who are having trouble make sure that “A/C” is turned on if you want cold air and that it’s turned off if you want the heater to work. Otherwise, even when you’re in electric only mode, the car should cool and heat just fine. Mine does.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:44 PM
Black_on_black
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
Exactly! For those who are having trouble make sure that “A/C” is turned on if you want cold air and that it’s turned off if you want the heater to work. Otherwise, even when you’re in electric only mode, the car should cool and heat just fine. Mine does.
that means running hvac in manual. Setting it to Auto means A/C turns on seemingly regardless of outside temps. It would mean it’s back to my VW Golf III with manual controls a la 90’s. It does not feel right.

Heat these last few days now that I found the A/C eco is so far randomly produced. It does do it, sometimes, but not always, stil trying to find the pattern and why the heat is so weak in pre=heat boggles.. So far I have not had any extreme cold, I mean it’s still in the +40’s/+5C’s. I got better results, ie stronger heat, when I set all temps to Sync, so ignoring the 4 zone climate control I specced…will keep trying different modes at different contexts and outside temps.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:14 PM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Does anyone know if the Jukebox feature, to play music etc from a USB stick, will play MP4/M4a audio files or do they need to be MP3? I know that the useless multi-disc player, in the boot, that the original purchaser (who dropped out during build) had specced to play videos to the rear screens, which I sold back to the dealer, will not play either MP3 or MP4 files loaded onto a CD but only DVD's. The single disc player in the glove compartment will only play CDA or MP3 files and not MP4 or M4a.

Wilson
Old 10-27-2022, 01:59 PM
scurvy
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw
Does anyone know if the Jukebox feature, to play music etc from a USB stick, will play MP4/M4a audio files or do they need to be MP3? I know that the useless multi-disc player, in the boot, that the original purchaser (who dropped out during build) had specced to play videos to the rear screens, which I sold back to the dealer, will not play either MP3 or MP4 files loaded onto a CD but only DVD's. The single disc player in the glove compartment will only play CDA or MP3 files and not MP4 or M4a.
Wilson
Jukebox is actually a separate source from USB/SD card. You can copy things to the Jukebox and play from there; it's basically a hard disk/flash disk built into the infotainment unit. Probably about 5-6GB or so? I know it will play FLAC and MP3. Not sure about those others.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:39 AM
Tosa5
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Just Did Recall for Mobile Charger

FYI - I got a recall letter from Porsche telling me "High Temperatures can occur in the plug socket when charging the vehicle using the Porsche Mobile Charger in conjunction with the NEMA industrial plugs due to the higher charging current.' Dealer changed the mobile charger so it only works in 50% mode, and it now takes about 3.5 hours to charge the battery instead of 2 hours using my 240amp outlet. This is not a big deal to me b/c I just plug it in when I get into my driveway, and charging it in 3.5 hours is OK. When I am on a road trip, I use a public charger, so this change doesn't slow me down on road trips.

I thought about not getting it 'fixed' at the dealership, but didn't want to take the risk of damaging my car somehow if the charger overheated.

------------------
I hadn't been to the dealer for a long time, so while I waited for the charger to be throttles, I walked into the showroom, and it was interesting that all of the 6 of the 7 cars on their floor where used cars (new one was a Cayenne turbo), so the shortage apparently continues.

I still love my 2022 4S e-Hybrid ST after 10 months, and its triple personality of all electric, e-hybrid for long trips, and Sport/Sport+ for twisty road driving, with the rumble from the Sport Exhaust. In e-Power of e-Hybrid mode, the suspension absorbs bumps better than any car I have owned, and in Sport mode, it handles very well on curvy mountain roads. I love filling up the gas tank very infrequently (I'm retired, with no commute, so my trips around town are on all electric). I also love the Sport mode when I want to go on a fun drive. It's also very practical, so it's a jack-of-all trades. Lucky to have this car!
Old 11-04-2022, 10:41 AM
orca15
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 167 Posts

Same here, @Tosa5 ! It's like having 2 or 3 cars in one- and exactly the 2 cars I wanted.

For those who decide to get away from the Porsche charger, I bought a JuiceBox 40 that does a nice job of charging the car and is adjustable to lower Amps if desired. Needed the 20' cable since my car's charge port is in the middle rear of the garage and the 220V socket is in the front of the garage.

I thought folks might like to see the setup I made- the cable comes out of the juicebox and up to a large pulley in the ceiling. After a couple of more pulleys, it hangs from a tool retractor which allows it to be pulled down 6 feet and then auto retracts back to the ceiling. This way It is always hanging right near the car port and always out of the way above my head when not in use. Hope that helps!

The following users liked this post:
16PanaHybrid (11-04-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 05:40 PM
MCW100
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Full ICE FOMO?

My e hybrid I ordered in January is arriving this weekend. Obviously since that time the tax credit has gone away and used car prices have dropped precipitously. I really went with the hybrid as a lower cost way to boost performance than the 4S. Savings at the pump is not a priority for me. There's a 2021 GTS with 10,000 miles on it available near me at exactly the same price point. I plan on test driving it on Friday, but am curious to hear your thoughts on how satisfied you are with your hybrid.

I have an M550 right now and love the sound and feel of a V8. I test drove a 2019 Panamera Turbo last weekend and wasn't impressed with the lag. Many people also say they can feel the additional weight of the hybrids but I doubt most people truly can. Thanks!

Last edited by MCW100; 11-16-2022 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Added title
Old 11-16-2022, 06:07 PM
Nvrfollow
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MCW100
My e hybrid I ordered in January is arriving this weekend. Obviously since that time the tax credit has gone away and used car prices have dropped precipitously. I really went with the hybrid as a lower cost way to boost performance than the 4S. Savings at the pump is not a priority for me. There's a 2021 GTS with 10,000 miles on it available near me at exactly the same price point. I plan on test driving it on Friday, but am curious to hear your thoughts on how satisfied you are with your hybrid.

I have an M550 right now and love the sound and feel of a V8. I test drove a 2019 Panamera Turbo last weekend and wasn't impressed with the lag. Many people also say they can feel the additional weight of the hybrids but I doubt most people truly can. Thanks!
I previously had the 2021 M550 and now have a 2023 4SEH. No lag on the EH given the electric assist. The Panny hides its weight better than the 550 with PASM and PDCC. It is quite a nimble 5000+ lb vehicle. I can do things it in much better than the 550. There is no comparison on the aural experience between the two. The 550 wins hands down on sound. That is one thing I miss and also the trunk space.
The following users liked this post:
SS22 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 07:01 PM
MCW100
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nvrfollow
I previously had the 2021 M550 and now have a 2023 4SEH. No lag on the EH given the electric assist. The Panny hides its weight better than the 550 with PASM and PDCC. It is quite a nimble 5000+ lb vehicle. I can do things it in much better than the 550. There is no comparison on the aural experience between the two. The 550 wins hands down on sound. That is one thing I miss and also the trunk space.
well hey at least you have the S. I honestly never use the full power of the 550 so it's more about the experience I'm afraid of losing. Good to hear that you feel handling is better

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread