Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 07:58 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally I was looking for a CPO Panamera Turbo or GTS and I was lucky to "see" my car in the configuration I liked without having to order and wait for a 2019 model. Plus, the ST was quite rare at the time, (it still is IMO) and I jumped on it and made the offer within the week. Some options that I really like: Park Assist w/ Surround View; Power Steering Plus (this is a big car and is very easy to park with these options), 7.2KW Onboard Charger (I didn't think I would need this, but combined with the 240v plug in my garage, a full charge takes a few hours vs. overnight); Sport Turismo (I definitely wanted this option and don't regret it at all); Premium Plus Package - soft close doors (family is used to not slamming the doors now), front and rear heated seats (for the kids in the back), LED dynamic lights (functional and cool factor!);and 21" Exclusive Design Wheels in Satin.

I thought that I would want the Sport Exhaust and do not miss it after driving other cars with it installed; I believe that there are no performance here. Options that I have and could do without are really cosmetic, Sport Tailpipes in Black; Carbon Fiber Interior package; Porsche Crest on headrests, Tinted LED taillights, Ambient Lighting, Exterior Mirrors painted, All Season Tires (really, an extra charge for this?) and the ever so controversial Smoking Package.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-11-2021, 09:47 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by works
I've decided to upgrade to one more hybrid on my way to pure electric and have mentally landed from a '17 530e to a base Panamera 4 e-hybrid '17-'19. I'm now locally shopping one and the trim levels do vary quite widely. This would be a question to the current owners: What were some of the things that you either thought that you absolutely need, but ended up not really using/appreciating and what are then in reverse some that you thought that nah, I'll live without it, but ended up regretting leaving out from the build sheet of from the used sample?

I'm starting to visit several different samples locally and having a test on whether or not my preconceived notions on what I think I'd need or want are in any way accurate. But as I'm doing this, it would be wonderful to read about others perspectives on this if any have theirs to share.
In my humble opinion, there's not much that's really needed to add to the base E-Hybrid Panamera, as it is already loaded with lots of standard stuff like Sport Chrono package (with the must-have drive-mode dial on the steering wheel), air suspension (with the manual lift function to gain extra ground clearance when going over driveway dips, etc.), power/heated front seats, etc. Most of the add-on options are pretty "vain" items that really aren't that essential, seriously. Even the base radio is excellent, and I've declined to spend money on upgraded audio systems in the two Porsches that I've special-ordered so far; my first Panamera had the Bose system, and it was totally unnecessary. I bought mine for long road trips, and as such, I require lots of seat adjustability due to chronic bad back (14-way seats are great), and ACC is essential for me on those long trips for keeping me from tiring too quickly on long interstate-highway drives; if I only drove locally, ACC wouldn't be necessary. The blind-spot monitors in the side mirrors are a huge safety add-on that I always get, as they have doubtlessly saved me from numerous accidents, and it's a crime that LCA is not standard on Porsches (as it is on even very inexpensive new cars in the $20k-$30k price range) -- though I must say that I admire how Porsche allows you to leave things out that you don't want and add things that you do want, so maybe it's not such a huge "crime".
Porsche does not offer the heated windshield option in either Panamera or Taycan (yet), which is very odd, as it's been available on the Macan and Cayenne since MY2019 now, and it works great on my 2019 Macan (melts ice/snow and defogs front windshield without use of air, and works much faster than standard blow-defrosters); I'll always order this item whenever it's available (if it's not standard) on any car that I buy.

Last edited by cometguy; 03-11-2021 at 09:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gilmo (06-22-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 04:44 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The one option the original (less than brain of Britain) specifier of the Panamera, which I bought new, after he could not compete the purchase, is the rear wiper. He specified expensive items like rear screens (sold by me back to the dealer) and the unnecessary sport exhaust instead of the very useful rear wiper. I have driven a Panamera e-Hybrid with rear steering and I think this would be another good option. It eliminates the slightly tail heavy feel of my Panamera. Originally I was disappointed that my car did not have the adaptive cruise control but just the standard. However, after reading some very negative comments on this, I am more comfortable on this missing option. The PLSS headlights are the best on any vehicle I have ever driven. I find the leather a bit on the hard side, compared with the Italian leather I had in my 997 but the 14 way seats are very well shaped. A whole different world to the Bugatti Chiron seats, which are horrible. I was in a Chiron for a 3 day trip just over a year ago and it took my back close to a month to recover.

Wilson
Gilmo (06-22-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 09:16 AM
Dimitar Atanasov
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by works
I've decided to upgrade to one more hybrid on my way to pure electric and have mentally landed from a '17 530e to a base Panamera 4 e-hybrid '17-'19. I'm now locally shopping one and the trim levels do vary quite widely. This would be a question to the current owners: What were some of the things that you either thought that you absolutely need, but ended up not really using/appreciating and what are then in reverse some that you thought that nah, I'll live without it, but ended up regretting leaving out from the build sheet of from the used sample?

I'm starting to visit several different samples locally and having a test on whether or not my preconceived notions on what I think I'd need or want are in any way accurate. But as I'm doing this, it would be wonderful to read about others perspectives on this if any have theirs to share.
i have a e-hybrid Sport Turismo for sale as I’m moving to a 911. Let me know if you are interested.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1239353
Old 03-14-2021, 09:39 AM
bjterp00
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cometguy
ok, thanks for the detailed info... Yes, going uphill in temperatures near freezing probably cut down substantially on the range...
I look forward to your Lake Zurich stats...
I was able to do another run today to check the electric-only range, and I was able to get a bit more than the estimated range. I left the house at close to full charge, with an indicated 44 km of range. I drove in e-power mode and got to 46.5 km when the ICE kicked-in.

Driving conditions were:
  • Relatively low speeds with posted limits from 50 km/h to 80 km/h; average speed was 45 km/h given all the stops for crosswalks and traffic lights
  • Temperature was about 5 degC
  • Unlike last time, ski rack and roof rack bars were not on the car
  • Drive was relatively flat, driving the Seestrasse around Lake Zurich
A few pics ... part way through the drive when having reached ~35 km with 30% charge remaining, at 46.5 km right after ICE kicked in, and a gratuitous lakeside shot.

30% charge remaining after 34.5 km

Nice lake side shot, from east side of lake looking back to the southwest.

Right after the ICE kicked in, 46.5 km of e-power
The following 3 users liked this post by bjterp00:
cometguy (04-05-2021), Dubbsbear (03-14-2021), MKC91 (03-16-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 05:17 AM
dicreamio
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Folks,

Picked this up the other day (2017) 4 E Hybrid, also have a 1979 928 (5pd)

Cheers
Michael

The following 7 users liked this post by dicreamio:
BUZO JOE (06-01-2021), DogWood (04-06-2021), Dubbsbear (04-05-2021), klaus929 (06-17-2021), MKC91 (04-05-2021), regancc (04-05-2021), Rgwirtz (04-12-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2021, 11:14 AM
regancc
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Gorgeous but they installed the steering wheel on the wrong side... ;-)
DogWood (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:46 AM
dicreamio
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

It's on the right right side I had a Cayenne S E-Hybrid before which was great but the Panamera is much different beast!
regancc (04-06-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 01:21 AM
sportturismo_4s
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a tire width question I was hoping one of you lads or ladies could answer: My current setup on my 4S Sport Turismo is stock 21 inch all seasons 275 front and 315 rear. I bought some BC Forged 20 inch KL01's which will be here in about a month. Do you think I would be fine if I went with 285 front and 325 rear? My car has the sport package which includes rear wheel steering for reference.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:35 AM
Dubbsbear
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a Pana ST as well and I definitely think the rears will be fine even with the RWS. I also think the fronts shouldn't be an issue either as I feel that the extra 10MM in the width you're adding can be accommodated (as the clearance for stock should probably accommodate at least a 10MM increase when turning). I could be wrong, but that's my opinion. Can't wait to see the pics with the new wheels.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:59 PM
MKC91
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sportturismo_4s
I've got a tire width question I was hoping one of you lads or ladies could answer: My current setup on my 4S Sport Turismo is stock 21 inch all seasons 275 front and 315 rear. I bought some BC Forged 20 inch KL01's which will be here in about a month. Do you think I would be fine if I went with 285 front and 325 rear? My car has the sport package which includes rear wheel steering for reference.
I'm no expert, but more information is required. You are going from 21" rims to 20" ... tire sizes may be "okay", but I think you need to look at the actual wheel dimensions and offset to be sure.
This resource may help: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/porsche/panamera/

Good luck
-- Mike
Old 05-24-2021, 09:44 PM
Jdsmoke
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Best mileage

How does everyone maximized their mileage? Do you leave it in Hybrid or Electric or some combination of them. I run electric when Doing short trips from home and can recharge the battery when I’m home. For longer trips I run electric till the batter runs out, then switch to hybrid charge till the batter gets back up to full charge, then switch back to electric. I was wounded if it would be better to just put into hybrid for the longer trips and not start in electric.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:36 PM
GoBlue!
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 133 Posts

I leave it sport plus to maximize fun. Plus it recharges faster that way
Gilmo (06-22-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 04:57 AM
Wilson Laidlaw
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I do short journeys on pure electric but if the journey, there and back is going to be longer than about 15 miles, I will immediately switch to Hybrid Auto. When I am on the type of highway, where I can use cruise control, I will usually take the opportunity to change to Hybrid e-Charge, so that when I come into a built up area, I have a fully charged battery to switch to pure electric, to try and reduce urban pollution. There are a number of European cities, where only BEV's or hybrids running on battery will soon be permitted entry to the city centre. I think Lyon, France and Stuttgart, Germany will be the first. This is likely to expand in locations over the next few years.

Wilson
MKC91 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:08 AM
louver
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

For longer trips, to put it simply, I try to leave with a full battery and arrive with an empty battery. This assumes that the arrival place has a way to recharge. Like Wilson, I also try to anticipate certain situations like city traffic or mountains. (It's good to reach the top of the mountain with an empty battery to maximize regeneration on the way down.) But in general I think the leave-full/arrive-empty rule is a good one, because it focuses on the net effect rather than whatever fluctuations happen in the middle.
The following 2 users liked this post by louver:
BUZO JOE (06-01-2021), Wilson Laidlaw (05-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Panamera 4 E-hybrid Owners Thread