Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 04:52 PM
BW369
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aenemated
Just wanted to drop in after 2-3 weeks of this guy and say my experience has been pretty great. Only issue - that isn't a huge one really - is the BT connection being lost and having to reconnect every so often. Really only if I haven't driven in a couple days. I work from home so that can happen in the week.

Otherwise, everything is working great.

I did notice there were some artifacts around UI elements in Carplay (most noticeable in Maps) which I initially just figured was how it would be. But my curiosity got the better of me and I tracked down some much better ribbon cables than the ones found on Amazon and replaced them all including the original factory ones - and display is crystal clear now.

50 Pin

30 Pin

Those have the "ears" and snapped right in much easier than the ones that shipped with the Isudar unit (even before I broke one haha) as well as the factory ones. Hope that can help some of yall having connectivity issues.

Cheers!
Thanks so much for linking these. A very helpful resource. As I shared earlier I had to wait until Kimi sent me a package from China for $3 but would have been awesome if I knew of these before.
The following users liked this post:
aenemated (03-22-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 06:49 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Just an update here on an issue I've been experiencing with my Isudar installation. I reported earlier in the thread somewhere that the Isudar boards wifi has been hijacking my phone wifi connection when home. I use the term hijacking because even if my phone is connected to my home wifi, the phone gets bumped from that and connects to the car when parked in the garage and well after parking. Not sure why this happens, but it does. The only solution up until today to disconnect the phone from the car wifi, was to turn off the connection manually on my phone and then manually connect to home wifi. It was a true annoyance and somewhat disconcerting. Not sure what was happening to any security protocols. I have two other vehicles with wireless Carplay adapters - a 2018 Boxster GTS with PCM 4.0 native CarPlay and a 2017 Ram Limited in which I replaced the head unit with a later model that also has native wired CarPlay. Neither of these has ever had this issue. Each uses a different dongle for wireless. The Ram has a Carlinkit 2.0 and the Boxster has a CarPlay2Air dongle. I hooked each up to the USB cable that connects to the Isudar board without the Isudar wifi active and low and behold, each worked flawlessly. Actually the Carlinkit has better rendering of the interface - seems a bit sharper - than both the Isudar or with the CarPlay2Air dongle attached. The Carplay2Air dongle works fine in my Boxster, so I just ordered a Carlinkit 3.0 for my Ram and I'm leaving well enough alone in the 911.

Last edited by Live Steam; 03-23-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:00 PM
BW369
Advanced

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Just an update here on an issue I've been experiencing with my Isudar installation. I reported earlier in the thread somewhere that the Isudar boards wifi has been hijacking my phone wifi connection when home. I use the term hijacking because even if my phone is connected to my home wifi, the phone gets bumped from that and connects to the car when parked in the garage and well after parking. Not sure why this happens, but it does. The only solution up until today to disconnect the phone from the car wifi, was to turn off the connection manually on my phone and then manually connect to home wifi. It was a true annoyance and somewhat disconcerting. Not sure what was happening to any security protocols. I have two other vehicles with wireless Carplay adapters - a 2018 Boxster GTS with PCM 4.0 native CarPlay and a 2017 Ram Limited in which I replaced the head unit with a later model that also has native wired CarPlay. Neither of these has ever had this issue. Each uses a different dongle for wireless. The Ram has a Carlinkit 2.0 and the Boxster has a CarPlay2Air dongle. I hooked each up to the USB cable that connects to the Isudar board without the Isudar wifi active and low and behold, each worked flawlessly. Actually the Carlinkit has better rendering of the interface - seems a bit sharper - than both the Isudar or with the CarPlay2Air dongle attached. The Carplay2Air dongle works fine in my Boxster, so I just ordered a Carlinkit 3.0 for my Ram and I'm leaving well enough alone in the 911.
Based on conversations here in the past the iSudar board is transmitting WiFi for at least 30 minutes after shutting down the car. In my case this isn't an issue as I live in a Condo building and the garage is underground, so I when I get to my apartment I am connected to my home WiFi. The solution for you might be to manually select your home WiFi I guess. As I remarked earlier, this has been brought up multiple times, but I fail to recall if a viable solution from the company was ever provided.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:13 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BW369
Based on conversations here in the past the iSudar board is transmitting WiFi for at least 30 minutes after shutting down the car. In my case this isn't an issue as I live in a Condo building and the garage is underground, so I when I get to my apartment I am connected to my home WiFi. The solution for you might be to manually select your home WiFi I guess. As I remarked earlier, this has been brought up multiple times, but I fail to recall if a viable solution from the company was ever provided.
I posted a solution. I deleted the Isudar wifi credentials from my phone and hooked up a Carlinkit dongle. They're 85 bucks on amazon right now. I'm GTG. Works just like native Carplay. The Isudar board was an easier install that the others that require their own housing. That's about all the good I can say other than it works now as it should.
BW369 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 07:17 PM
BW369
Advanced

Originally Posted by Live Steam
I posted a solution. I deleted the Isudar wifi credentials from my phone and hooked up a Carlinkit dongle. They're 85 bucks on amazon right now. I'm GTG. Works just like native Carplay. The Isudar board was an easier install that the others that require their own housing. That's about all the good I can say other than it works now as it should.
thanks for the solution. Are you please able to link the Amazon product.

Edit: I found this Carlinkit 3.0 on Amazon - https://amzn.to/3JC9vQC

Last edited by BW369; 03-23-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Live Steam (04-01-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 12:09 PM
Dasuchin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since there seems to be an issue with the wifi, can you turn that off and just use wired carplay?
Old 03-25-2022, 12:32 PM
sac02
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dasuchin
Since there seems to be an issue with the wifi, can you turn that off and just use wired carplay?
yes, that's what I do, primarily because sound quality is better for me
Old 03-26-2022, 07:15 PM
griskait
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android Auto issue possible solution

Android phone (not sure if iPhone has something similar) I found that if you go to settings / android auto/ there is an entry that you can deactivate called "automatically starts media". I did it and didn't lost connection since. I noticed that my disconnections were related to some activities happening in the phone. I have the original fw and I was going to try the update route when I realized that this does the trick for now. It has been a week and everything is stable.

Last edited by griskait; 03-26-2022 at 07:27 PM.
kludger (04-02-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 02:21 AM
Andytran
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Isuda board went bad?

Installed and the board was working nicely for 2 weeks then went black. I opened the PCM and reseat all ribbon cables but still not working.
Removed the board and PCM works fine - is the board fried now? I searched the forum and haven't seen any case like this..

Just sent a message to Isudar support for help; has anyone done the replacement?

-andy
ralpheickhof (09-11-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:59 AM
Justchris1973
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue, mine failed on the 24th February after 4 months!
I'm currently in the process of dealing with Kimi @ Isudar support but it seems that nothing happens quickly, i keep getting replies asking me to provide video's of the fault, current software and hardware versions and telling me that the most likely cause is poor ribbon cable connections, even though I've told them on numerous occasions that it was working fine, and just stopped working one day while i was driving. I've also explained that I've checked and double checked all connections, and have finally removed the board so that my PCM works!!
I'd guess you are now in for the same uphill struggle!
Good luck
ralpheickhof (09-11-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 11:46 AM
sac02
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Justchris1973
I have the same issue, mine failed on the 24th February after 4 months!
I'm currently in the process of dealing with Kimi @ Isudar support but it seems that nothing happens quickly, i keep getting replies asking me to provide video's of the fault, current software and hardware versions and telling me that the most likely cause is poor ribbon cable connections, even though I've told them on numerous occasions that it was working fine, and just stopped working one day while i was driving. I've also explained that I've checked and double checked all connections, and have finally removed the board so that my PCM works!!
I'd guess you are now in for the same uphill struggle!
Good luck
This aspect of Chinese "customer service" is so incredibly maddening.

I CAN'T SHOW YOU A VIDEO OF IT MALFUNCTIONING BECAUSE IT WON'T EVEN FRICKIN' TURN ON. YOU WANT A VIDEO OF A BLANK SCREEN, SERIOUSLY?

I'm not SAYING you should commit fraud, buuuut...

That's the kind of customer service that makes people just buy a second unit, and then swap the broken unit into the new box and say, "IDK what happened, it was broken when I took it out of the box. Please refund my money..."
Old 03-30-2022, 01:22 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

@ those with failing boards. Do you know if you were running v1 or v2 hardware?
Old 03-30-2022, 04:29 PM
Andytran
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danby
@ those with failing boards. Do you know if you were running v1 or v2 hardware?
I’m using V2 hardware, bought it on early March
Old 03-30-2022, 05:09 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

That's definitely concerning. Keep us posted on any resolution.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:11 AM
Drewshepard60
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Car play

Will it work on a 2012 panamera....?

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1