Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:14 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Tail light complaint I understand... but you don't see them from the drivers seat.
Plenty of ugliness looking at the interior as well. The center stack is atrocious. As is the material quality on the interior.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Plenty of ugliness looking at the interior as well. The center stack is atrocious. As is the material quality on the interior.
The cabin is a mishmash of good and bad. It's bad marketing more than any shortcoming of the designers or engineers -- their hands are tired by the bean counters and the committees. If the marketing had played it down as "we've updated" instead of the high expectations of "European" and "we've gone all out, no holds barred" then I think the reception would have been "nice job updating the cabin ... much less fleet rental, better than the new Viper" (at least, that's my take on the cabin.) But there it is, not even as nice as a Prius. Still, I'm told they did a good job on the seats (you know, the first thing you take out to put in shells for the track ...) and the driving position, ergonomics and "tactile" character of the control feedback was taken from R&D drivers, etc. Calibration of the electric steering is the about the only deal-breaker on my list. This is not a car I want to buy sight unseen, so a demo day at Spring Mountain (or other) is a necessary "cost" of popping my Vette cherry. (yes, I think Vette drivers talk like that, some I'm starting the acclimation process …)
Old 07-14-2013, 04:36 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.perfectioner.com/wp/wp-co...y-interior.jpg

This is one tough crowd...

upgrade in materials and hopefully workmanship... for a ~ 50K automobile.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
...It's bad marketing more than any shortcoming of the designers or engineers -- their hands are tired by the bean counters and the committees...
+1...fire the bean counters and let the engineers and designers run the Corvette division...these guys would know what to do!!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's just a friggin' shame.

I feel sorry for the motor that has to go in that visual manifestation of attention deficit disorder.

Such a nice motor... such an sad, cry for attention exterior.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

That's a great looking picture of a nice interior, but unfortunately what I've realized is that all of the pictures of the C7 that actually look good are touched up/photoshopped/spiced up. When you see it in person, it doesn't look nearly as good.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:17 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Saw the green car at Limerock on the ALMS race weekend. Disappointed. The 4x4-level air btw wheels and metal is HUGE! (Why?) The Chevy reps there to answer questions couldn't answer any, either.
I used to swap out the leaf springs on my C5 Corvette and if i remember correctly it takes a bit of driving for the new leaf springs to settle into their lower position.

Bottom line, it'll probably settle lower once driven.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

God it is 2013! And I hope that the new C7 does not have leaf springs!

Leaf springs tend to settle down over time to nominal unless if over-loaded. After the heat treating process they are supposed to be tested...there is a force vs. displacement curve and only the ones in a "band" are sent to the customer, but you are 100% right, even then there is a unit to unit variation and they still settle down...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

C7 still has the Ben Hur composite leaf springs...

Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i assume the vehicles shown have the spacers inserted so they load/unload on the trucks with ease... and without damage.

removing these spacers puts it still a little high, but the good thing about the "springs" on the vette is they can be height adjusted stock (to corner balance) but also to lower... most say you can bottom out the bolts and still have the same ride quality... but changing to different bolts then negatively affects the ride.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wayne, the C7 did not have to be THAT aggressive or polarizing and it has nothing to do with cost. I like it sometimes but really hate some of the angles on it. There is no excuse for ugly and the C7 has some very good angles but far too many bad ones.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:16 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a tough crowd. It is another case of GM over selling and under delivering. If it was the other way around, they would be a lot better off.

There are some neat gadget gimmicks in the car, but this is most definitely the most polarizing Corvette yet. I didn't like the C5 and never bought one. I bought a C6 and have several C4's. A C7 will not make my buy list. I told several of the GM guys this last year at Petit. I'm just tired of the inferior GM quality.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

C7 still has the Ben Hur composite leaf springs...

Ben Hur...that is a good one! LOL!
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wanna911
Wayne, the C7 did not have to be THAT aggressive or polarizing and it has nothing to do with cost. I like it sometimes but really hate some of the angles on it. There is no excuse for ugly and the C7 has some very good angles but far too many bad ones.
Hey Dez,

That comment was my reply regarding the interior, see photo. I have not seen a C7, so my info is based on press releases, reports, and photos.

I'm not comfortable with the rear end. Other than that, I think GM's hit their target market, that being an edgier appearance for a younger group of buyers.

Initial info praises the C7's performance. I will wait for the Z06 model before making a commitment.

I put a higher value on performance vs. looks which is based on the way I use a Vette.

Cya @ the track

Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

This thread's been all over the map regarding the C7.

Some guys are enthused, others are critical, while some are taking a wait and see attitude.

Reading posts on the internet, GM's sure getting a lot of attention.

Cya @ the track

Quick Reply: New Corvette...