Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

So, will Porsche bring out a larger displacement, possible (gasp) V8 model for the 911? Or will they keep the 911 pure with a flat six and maybe come out with a crackling 928 derivative turbo V8 that can run with the Z model C7's, etc.? But, would that then mess up their hierarchy with a 928 outperforming their iconic 911?

It's sad because honestly Porsche has the hardware to make a major butt kicking machine. How would a bulletproof 475hp 3.8L GT3 engine in a 3,000lbs even Cayman platform run? Also, leave a manual tranny option and keep it under $120k and I'd even consider swinging by the P-car dealer to order one and I'm a Vette nutswinger.

Porsche can do it, but will they? I doubt it, but it sure is fun to dream about though.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I'm just not as excited about Porsche as I use to be. I try and keep thinking is there something wrong with me...am I missing it all...do I not understand Porsche? I believe it's not just me anymore. I am losing the excitement for the Porsche brand.
I'm with you. Just doesn't feel as "special" as it used to whatever that means. Great for success for the company but not building things I want or can/want to afford.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just not as excited about Porsche as I use to be. I try and keep thinking is there something wrong with me...am I missing it all...do I not understand Porsche? I believe it's not just me anymore. I am losing the excitement for the Porsche brand.
you are obviously not a luxury car enthusiast. Porsche is a luxury brand now.

The sooner Porsche is loose of these guys who do nothing but ruin Dr. P's ice cream cake party with their booring criticisms about how less and less is up to the driver, how the car is too long, how the car is too wide, how PDK is nothing more than an automatic passenger car gimmick, how the car is too expensive for what you get, bla bla bla..... zis is like listening to the Greeks complain about austerity....its really getting very tiresome. Just go buy the big chin Jay Leno GM NASCAR boat already. Maybe you'll win the "are you faster than a redneck" trophy and you'll be so pleased with yourself.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Hopefully some bean counter at VW decides to put the 3.4 liter V8 from the rs spyder LMP2 car into a Cayman in an attempt to pay off the R&D investment. I mean LOOK at this beautiful motor... without a car to put it in. Tears.
I want that please.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep hearing about these souped up Cayman's, and there have been many a tuner that has built them. Yet, have not seen one do anything substantial. Does anyone have any info as to where this pipedream has actually become reality. I know Leh Keen drove a beefed up on in the one lap, and when it wasn't broken, it still wasn't dominant. Small wheelbase feels good in an autocross and on a slalom, but will get mashed by the big wheelbases of the Corvette's and Ferrari's.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I keep hearing about these souped up Cayman's, and there have been many a tuner that has built them. Yet, have not seen one do anything substantial..
24Hs of Daytona? Especially when the little Cayman beat factory supported cars without any factory support of its own...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed - all the range is way too generic these days.
becoming appliances.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I keep hearing about these souped up Cayman's, and there have been many a tuner that has built them. Yet, have not seen one do anything substantial. Does anyone have any info as to where this pipedream has actually become reality. I know Leh Keen drove a beefed up on in the one lap, and when it wasn't broken, it still wasn't dominant. Small wheelbase feels good in an autocross and on a slalom, but will get mashed by the big wheelbases of the Corvette's and Ferrari's.
Pipe Dream.

A few years ago, the 997.1 GT3 was tested against a RUF Cayman with a big engine, more power than the GT3, lighter than the GT3. The GT3 beat it in every test.

Then, there is this article about handling, and GT3 wins hands down (compared to the Cayman R): http://www.caranddriver.com/features...11-gt3-feature

The only thing better in a Cayman compared to a 996/997 GT3 is the steering (and that's out to the toilet with the 981).

The Grand-Am and SpeedWC Cayman are expensive cars, like an Interseries build but add an expensive 3.8X51 9A1 engine motor swap, and all the cooling needed for engine, transmission, power steering, brakes. From a clean build, $170k and up should be the price range for them.

Last time the Cayman ran Grand-Am Conti, they lapped Homestead in 1:27s, VIR in 2:04 on the Conti slicks (they are actually Hoosier slicks). These cars had full aerokits, stripped, big engine, etc. I did some sloppy laps lifting big for T3/T4 in the Fiat at Homestead, on 2 years old A6 and running 200 lbs+ over current car weight, and still lapped in 1:26, with slicks and more confidence, a 1:24 is there. GT3DE ran a 2:02 at VIR with a stock GT3 on R6. Fiat is a $155k car today, 997.2 GT3 a $115k today, and both are more reliable and cheaper than a Cayman that cannot yet keep up with these two.

I like my Cayman, but I like it as a $25k car, not as a $170k+ car.

Best part, at autoX the theoretical best Porsches are the Boxster Spyder and Cayman R in the top National Stock class, yet the 997.2 GT3 obliterates them with ease, not even in their natural element (slow speed, momentum driving) can they keep up.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM
wanna911
Race Car

That's what I thought.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by perfectlap
24Hs of Daytona? Especially when the little Cayman beat factory supported cars without any factory support of its own...
My only problem with that is that it's a hybrid class and there was nothing but Cayman's in the Prep 1 GX class. All of the Mazdas were prep 2 and far slower. Also all of the GT cars they beat were faster cars, some contenders for GT class win, but just had issues during the race.

That really doesn't tell me much.

I'm looking for something conclusive where the cayman has been built on the same level as the other cars and won. But not VS mustangs, subarus, etc. I'm talking about vs the big boys.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
For example, that ZR1 from the COTA videos is being driven in slow motion, but as mentioned above, add power, add slicks, and everything looks fast.
Nice bait attempt. You wouldn't have an ice cubes chance in hell of coming anywhere close to my far from perfect previous lap time that I could now knock several seconds off. Nice try though, chief. Keep enjoying your Tom Selleck toy.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Magnum drove a Scuderia?!?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnum = Scuderia
Bob and Barbie = ZR1 ?

Same analogy no ?

Doesn't make sense.

He has some reason in his saying as by watching the video doesn't looks like car is close to it's potential.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Selleck (Magnum) drove a Fiat 308 GTS.
They prob had to fix it in between every episode.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Selleck (Magnum) drove a Fiat 308 GTS.
They prob had to fix it in between every episode.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
LOL

Truer words have never been spoken. The 458 at Tremblant was done after 2 sessions, transmission failure....
When it ran, sound was intoxicating.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...