New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Maybe it's the tracks in the SE? Or too much messing about with the engines around here?
If you see one with a puddle of oil under it, we don't always know how stock it is.

I believe what you are saying even though it seems so implausible from our POV, 3-4 (One was very old) blew one of the last weekends of last year at Sebring) but I'd say there is always one going around blowing smoke etc. maybe they just drive older ones VS CA driving more the later years. I heard the Z06 got better in 2010?

I have good hopes for the C7, seems they did a lot making it more track worthy.
Most Barbie car drivers drive in slow motion, so no problems with the engines. It is the cars driven near the limits, on real racetracks (Sebring, Watkins Glen, Road America, Daytona) the ones that go kaboom.

For example, that ZR1 from the COTA videos is being driven in slow motion, but as mentioned above, add power, add slicks, and everything looks fast.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I volunteer to drive/tow Rad and the Fiat anywhere you want. Long distant driving is what I do. I come from large boat towing so a little light weight Fiat is cake.,,,or you arrive and drive and I tow.
Mike,

Awesome!!!

The Cayenne tows the open Trailex and Fiat like they are not even there, 450ft/lbs, and 450Hp on a 6-speed auto tranny and AWD, awesome stereo, comfy sofa seats, air suspension.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Sounds like there should be 3 classes then.

Street cars on street tires

Street cars on Hoosier/ slicks

Race cars
This sounds about right, so 9 guys can get trophies, out of a possible 20 entrants (if we are lucky).

If I put slicks, I'll run the race car class, very likely I'm bringing race car (test driving 4 flavors to choose from via rental, before buying).
Old 07-13-2013, 01:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I got a chance to see the new C7 (and 991 GT3) in person yesterday. I had high hopes for the C7, but after seeing it in person I was a bit disappointed. The car looks better in pictures than in person. Yes, the car looks better than the old one, but it's not fantastic. Maybe because it's the 'base' model and the Z version will be much better. The interior had the regular seats (non competition) and there was ZERO thigh bolstering. Flat (WTF?). The interior console, again, is better than the old one by far, but only acceptable in terms of looks. The engine did sound very nice though. Maybe it was the ugly green color that made everything worse. All I know is that it is not in the same league by any stretch of the imagination as the 991 GT3 in terms of curb appeal.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:08 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

$50k, brand new, with warranty, and track use encouraged. $20k cheaper than a Cayman.

It should be compared against the Cayman Boxster because it is cheaper than them, but it will perform a lot better, to the point of challenging average driven Aero Beetles.

Go Barbie Car!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know that green will be the big seller. The exhaust note is interesting. Does the hood/bonnet not ever open on these "show" cars? It would be great to see the engine bay and the rear cargo area with the hinged bits open. Chrome seems a bit out of place. Not a bad looking car overall, but the departure from the "classic" Vette tail lights is a misfire.

I know the Vette has not always been four round ones, but that seems to have become its accepted form and those old ball 3D Camaro lenses, well, for sure an aftermarket company will make a killing if they make an insert to bring back the round ones. I've seen one vendor promise a whole bumper cover, but I think that's less appealing than keeping it "factory" with just replacing the lens assemblies.

That stick-on "lip" of a wing is strange -- it seems to be a poor fit. How can this be? That's the first thing I'd want to jettison. Put on a real wing (a foil on uprights) when needed and leave it clean shaven for normal driving.

The visible gaps and seals make me think the fixed roof coupe will be worth the wait.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
$50k, brand new, with warranty, and track use encouraged. $20k cheaper than a Cayman.

It should be compared against the Cayman Boxster because it is cheaper than them, but it will perform a lot better, to the point of challenging average driven Aero Beetles.

Go Barbie Car!
Challenge a 911? I think even someone in a GT3 will have to have their wits and talents about them or a competent driver in the "base" Stingray will have them seeing a lot of blue flags.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:35 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't know that green will be the big seller. The exhaust note is interesting. Does the hood/bonnet not ever open on these "show" cars? It would be great to see the engine bay and the rear cargo area with the hinged bits open. Chrome seems a bit out of place. Not a bad looking car overall, but the departure from the "classic" Vette tail lights is a misfire.

I know the Vette has not always been four round ones, but that seems to have become its accepted form and those old ball 3D Camaro lenses, well, for sure an aftermarket company will make a killing if they make an insert to bring back the round ones. I've seen one vendor promise a whole bumper cover, but I think that's less appealing than keeping it "factory" with just replacing the lens assemblies.

That stick-on "lip" of a wing is strange -- it seems to be a poor fit. How can this be? That's the first thing I'd want to jettison. Put on a real wing (a foil on uprights) when needed and leave it clean shaven for normal driving.

The visible gaps and seals make me think the fixed roof coupe will be worth the wait.
^ yes to all above.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3EvoBR

@ 3:20 Cup parks it sideways at the apex (magnificent over-braking)
@ 3:45 911 re-enters track without coordinating with flag workers, carries debris across racing line (safety, courtesy?)

@ 7:58 looks like oil smoke in the air
@ 9:20 ol' smokey has been leaving a blue smoke signature out of some of the turns for a lap of Sebring, now gives a signature "point-by and accelerate" DE technique and his engine builder decides to buy a bigger boat.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:32 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
The interior console, again, is better than the old one by far, but only acceptable in terms of looks. The engine did sound very nice though. Maybe it was the ugly green color that made everything worse. All I know is that it is not in the same league by any stretch of the imagination as the 991 GT3 in terms of curb appeal.

Every time I see more and more pictures and seeing it in Person at Amelia Island and also Sebring, I find the car to be completely garish. It just doesn't flow well. The interior is no better in aesthetics

One of the more recent pictures I have seen really turned me off.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Go Barbie Car!
Going purely off of the looks and perceived build quality after seeing them both in person, I would choose the Cayman and pay the extra money (I would argue the price difference between the two as I would option them is more along $12k, though). Before I saw the cars in person, I would have picked the C7.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:03 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I got a chance to see the new C7 (and 991 GT3) in person yesterday. I had high hopes for the C7, but after seeing it in person I was a bit disappointed. The car looks better in pictures than in person. Yes, the car looks better than the old one, but it's not fantastic. Maybe because it's the 'base' model and the Z version will be much better. The interior had the regular seats (non competition) and there was ZERO thigh bolstering. Flat (WTF?). The interior console, again, is better than the old one by far, but only acceptable in terms of looks. The engine did sound very nice though. Maybe it was the ugly green color that made everything worse. All I know is that it is not in the same league by any stretch of the imagination as the 991 GT3 in terms of curb appeal.

Damn this thing is UGLY !!!
Old 07-13-2013, 05:05 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
@ 3:20 Cup parks it sideways at the apex (magnificent over-braking)
@ 3:45 911 re-enters track without coordinating with flag workers, carries debris across racing line (safety, courtesy?)

@ 7:58 looks like oil smoke in the air
@ 9:20 ol' smokey has been leaving a blue smoke signature out of some of the turns for a lap of Sebring, now gives a signature "point-by and accelerate" DE technique and his engine builder decides to buy a bigger boat.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Mike,

Awesome!!!

The Cayenne tows the open Trailex and Fiat like they are not even there, 450ft/lbs, and 450Hp on a 6-speed auto tranny and AWD, awesome stereo, comfy sofa seats, air suspension.
Yep...had a Cayenne...really liked it.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:30 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's wait to see how the general public reacts to the new Vette.

Just north of 50 large for the base model.

~ 60 large for the track model Z51.

I'm hoping the new Z06 doesn't exceed 80K less options.

Cya @ the track.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...