Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
Danny is fast! I'm shooting for his ST1 record at Miller at 1:57.5x at the 09 NASA Nationals (Milers outloop) at last event I hit a 1:58.28 on scrubs ( got to have some excuse haha)
Good luck at Miller and you are in striking distance of Danny's times.

I won't make it this year but if I can get better in the TTE car I might tow out in 14. I have only driven the East and West tracks but I'll bet the outer loop is awesome and you must be hauling freight into turn 1.

Peter
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
There was nothing wrong with Fab's math. real or in theory. His firm's client disclosure skills however....need some work. But they were hardly alone in such tactics. De rigeur.
I work with GS almost on a daily basis, so my comment was tongue in cheek. Fab is clearly a scapegoat. He does need to be a little more careful in his written communications though. A good lesson for all of us when discussing sensitive issues real or perceived.

Anyway back on topic with the trash talk.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Ahh yes Danny Popp

and As RSRanger said time to take it to the track.

Peter
Danny has been doing great things in NASA-TT, and the fast growing Optima Invitational Challenge.

The Optima thingy is super appealing, street cars on street tires on a multitude of timed tests (Time Trials, Drag Racing, Autocross, Braking contests), awesome talent pool, shocking good looking cars, and TV time on SpeedTV. Unfortunately, all the events are several days away in the distance.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:38 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck at Miller and you are in striking distance of Danny's times.

I won't make it this year but if I can get better in the TTE car I might tow out in 14. I have only driven the East and West tracks but I'll bet the outer loop is awesome and you must be hauling freight into turn 1.

Peter
Thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get. Outer Loop is great to drive, you are hauling into T1 and witchcraft that connects west to east is one of those can't go flat but how fast do you dare turns.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You wrote above under my quoted words but what do you mean or why under that quote?
I just said Rad is pretty accurate with his numbers many verified..
Some hypothetical but they add for me talking about the cars we run with on the tracks we run?

What has that got to do with leaving time on the table blah blah?
We don't run cars at 10/10th of their capable lap times we run our 10 10th safely with margin and without spinning but, I see myself more as a endurance driver emptying the tank than a TT lapper like you. I do think we push the cars to their limit in terms of durability though. You never heard me say otherwise, I've had enough coaches to know what and where I lose time.

You like to dog pile on the TT guys, but what you ignore is that the closer you actually get to 10/10th's stuff does not last. Slicks are not good for 20 minutes of their maximum lap times let alone RA1's.

Yeah Quickag is leaving some time on the table, but we all know Rad's calculations can be all over the place, and most of the time leave out his own lack of 10th's in his driving style.

Here are some stats

Leh Keen - Road Atlanta stock 3.8 RS 1:31.8 with passenger

DE Cup - 1:30.8 Gutted 3.8 with DOT slicks
- 1:31-1:32 - 3.8/4.0 RS with DOT slicks
- 1:34's + on DOT R's

Two different leagues.

Just keeping it real, we all have some learning to do......
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Yes, I am leaving some time on the table and here's why:

1. Car was nearly 100% stock with stock alignment (no bueno with real slicks)
2. This was my first and only day at this new track, so still working lines
3. I had traffic the first half of the lap
4. I'M NOT A PRO DRIVER.

So, there you have it. It's easy to talk trash about someone else's driving by watching a video. A bit harder to get in the driver's seat and do it yourself. Still haven't seen a video of ANYONE at a COTA DE event run faster than the 2:22. Of course, I'm sure it's just all car.

Hope to see some of you guys at NASA TT next year. The proof is in the pudding and my car should be quite a bit more set-up next year as compared to my one and only event last year with NASA. Should be fun!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 PM
wanna911
Race Car

While your reasons are good, winning a DE isn't all that hard, especially at a new track that you have more time at than most anyone else at the DE. Especially when there has been lots of traffic at almost every DE, especially when it's a DE and no one is in kill mode, Especially in a car that's faster than everything at the DE on some of the fastest tires at the DE. You have all of those things working in your favor, so it's not a huge accomplishment if you look at the big picture.

Because you ran the fastest lap does not mean you drove the best lap, or hardest lap. Just means you have the fastest driver/car combo (that we know of). How long that lasts depends on if COTA allows more DE's next year.

Good driving, but keep it in perspective.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I keep hearing about these souped up Cayman's, and there have been many a tuner that has built them. Yet, have not seen one do anything substantial. Does anyone have any info as to where this pipedream has actually become reality. I know Leh Keen drove a beefed up on in the one lap, and when it wasn't broken, it still wasn't dominant. Small wheelbase feels good in an autocross and on a slalom, but will get mashed by the big wheelbases of the Corvette's and Ferrari's.
Not a lot of info because there aren’t many of these cars developed to a level even close to what Porsche put into the GT3, but read post #35 from someone with firsthand experience with one well set up specimen:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-cayman-3.html

Also check out the videos of an Alzen Cayman modified with a GT3 engine in the thread below:

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...-yourself.html

I remember when these cars were for sale on their website.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Oh, for sure. My comments are mostly directed at the guys that think the 22 is just coasting around the track and any number of P-car DE hot shoes could hop right in my car and run a 17. The way the car was configured, it just wasn't going to happen. Can the car run a 17 now with the recent additions and set-up? I'm quite sure and I plan to do it or better at a future event at COTA.

Remember, Daniel at Finspeed who sold me the wheels and Michelin slicks had an actual Michelin engineer watch my video and look at pictures of my badly grained/corded slicks after less than 10 sessions on them. After hearing I was on stock alignment and looking at the pictures, he said I was leaving a minimum of 2-3 seconds at COTA on the table just because of my stock alignment.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Quikag

If you don't want comments on your video's don't post them.

Peter
Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Quikag how do you like your Finspeed wheels?
I picked up two sets a few months ago (F14-RT) and imo they're great.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quikag
Oh, for sure. My comments are mostly directed at the guys that think the 22 is just coasting around the track and any number of P-car DE hot shoes could hop right in my car and run a 17. The way the car was configured, it just wasn't going to happen. Can the car run a 17 now with the recent additions and set-up? I'm quite sure and I plan to do it or better at a future event at COTA.

Remember, Daniel at Finspeed who sold me the wheels and Michelin slicks had an actual Michelin engineer watch my video and look at pictures of my badly grained/corded slicks after less than 10 sessions on them. After hearing I was on stock alignment and looking at the pictures, he said I was leaving a minimum of 2-3 seconds at COTA on the table just because of my stock alignment.

Yeah, slicks won't work nearly as well on a stock alignment. On a track as long as COTA, easily 2-3 seconds.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Winning a DE is having fun with your friends, learning something about driving and driving your car home in 1 piece. If you instruct you can add that you have instructed your student well enough that they learned and had fun and will come back and spend more money of DE's....that is winning your DE
Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSRanger
Quikag how do you like your Finspeed wheels?
I picked up two sets a few months ago (F14-RT) and imo they're great.

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
LOVE them. I also have two sets of black finish F14-RT. Daniel is awesome and he makes some outstanding wheels.

Quikag

If you don't want comments on your video's don't post them.

Peter
I want comments, but only positive, glowing comments about how awesome I am. j/k, of course.

Yeah, slicks won't work nearly as well on a stock alignment. On a track as long as COTA, easily 2-3 seconds.
I didn't believe it initially until I burned up the first ~$2500 set of Michelin slicks and saw the light. Running with this new alignment on my scrub set of Continental slicks and it feeling dramatically better on turn-in and absolute grip made me believer. I'm a slow learner obviously.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Winning a DE is having fun with your friends, learning something about driving and driving your car home in 1 piece. If you instruct you can add that you have instructed your student well enough that they learned and had fun and will come back and spend more money of DE's....that is winning your DE
Absolutely. I've been doing DE for well over a decade, started in my early 20's. Ready to do more time trial though which has a competitive timed element. Still mostly about fun though, which is why I plan to still do DE events locally. We're all car nuts and like to drive fast or we wouldn't be in this thread talking some good-natured smack.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 761 Posts

You like to dog pile on the TT guys, but what you ignore is that the closer you actually get to 10/10th's stuff does not last. Slicks are not good for 20 minutes of their maximum lap times let alone RA1's.

Yeah Quickag is leaving some time on the table, but we all know Rad's calculations can be all over the place, and most of the time leave out his own lack of 10th's in his driving style.

Here are some stats

Leh Keen - Road Atlanta stock 3.8 RS 1:31.8 with passenger

DE Cup - 1:30.8 Gutted 3.8 with DOT slicks
- 1:31-1:32 - 3.8/4.0 RS with DOT slicks
- 1:34's + on DOT R's

Two different leagues.

Just keeping it real, we all have some learning to do......
If I piled on TT guys I already forgot, maybe to Rad to explain 2 quick laps is all the Fiat has in it?

RA1's are fast for 3 laps 4 max.
Rads math is accurate with GT3's Rads Fiat times are lala land for 2 laps only. To save car, not tires.

So just not getting what you were saying to my quote.

Your numbers and DE Cup VS Pro genius driver Leh are spot on..

Quick Reply: New Corvette...