Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Liking the smack talk between Rad and Quickag.
Rads winning with pics so far.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Usually Rad is pretty accurate when it comes to out lap times. He's a numbers guy.
I'm a numbers guy too, but I deal with real numbers I have personally backed up. Big difference.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Just don't challenge Rad to a racing program on game boy or whatever...he will smoke ya!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I've said it before but this is gold.
It's time to take it to the track

Ranger (Sua Sponte)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Rad, maybe you could be that driver. Reminds me of a semi-pro driver that kicked my butt many years ago with his highly modded Evo 8 against my bolt-on C5. I was running 1:25's at MSR-Cresson 1.7 to his 1:23's. He told me I was leaving time on the table and took my C5 out for a full session and beat the crap out of it. Fastest lap that whole session for him was a transponder confirmed 1:26. Not so easy, I guess.

Most P-car and F-car DE drivers would crash and burn trying to drive a ZR1 fast. Funny how my 2:22 is still the DE bench mark and even I admit I left time on the table. My new set-up will be much faster next time as well.
Easy now. Corvettes are fast, I've got Danny Popp at my local tracks to remind me of that, but anybody with talent that spends enough time behind any particular car will be fast. Comparing lap times from different cars is pointless, and so is comparing a lap from somebody who has no seat time in your car.

Torque and mechanical grip. Those are two things which don't exactly take tons of talent to utilize, and just happens to be what the Corvette has in spades. Oh and 638hp, but I guess that doesn't count for anything in lap times either.

Running 315/345 Hoosier A6's, or Michelin Slicks gives so much mechanical grip, the margin for error is laughable. Anybody with marginal talent can get into any Vette (much less a ZR1) and wheel it around at a pace that most cars can't even match. I'm not commenting on your talent, I'm speaking in general.

Who cares, the ZR1 is simply a faster car than any GT3RS (or just about anything), but don't pretend as if it's the most difficult car to learn to drive. It isn't. There's a reason why many GT3 Cup hotshoes can jump in anything and be fast, but you conveniently rarely see Corvette or BMW hotshoes jump into a GT3 and are on pace.

I'm not impressed by anybody who shows up to a DE using racing slicks. That says more about them than what lap time they run. It's like showing up to a knife fight with a bazooka, then bragging about the win.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

Ahh yes Danny Popp

and As RSRanger said time to take it to the track.

Peter
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny is fast! I'm shooting for his ST1 record at Miller at 1:57.5x at the 09 NASA Nationals (Milers outloop) at last event I hit a 1:58.28 on scrubs ( got to have some excuse haha)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, Your math is a theoretical joke. You should be on trial instead of Fabulous Fab. One major issue with your funny math is a 2:17 would be running faster lap times than almost all of the gold and platinum class Pirelli Cup cars. Since when were Porsche race cars slower than almost stock street Vettes? Has it gotten that pitiful?

Again, you seem really good at making up fantasy on the Internet, but I haven't seen proof of any good driving by you period. Keyboard warrior extraordinaire.
I think the Platinum Cars were running 2:13's at COTA. You might find some back of the pack scrubs at 2:17 but that's about it.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Usually Rad is pretty accurate when it comes to out lap times. He's a numbers guy.
Blah blah, you guys are leaving a lot of time on the table just like everyone else is that's not pro drivers here. Heck, most of the so called "pro" drivers are leaving a second or two or three on the table.

You guys will realize one day that you are not really as close to 10/10ths as you think. And no there is no double standard, same applies to me, but I can admit it. In fact, I know where it is many times.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Platinum Cars were running 2:13's at COTA. You might find some back of the pack scrubs at 2:17 but that's about it.

Blah blah, you guys are leaving a lot of time on the table just like everyone else is that's not pro drivers here. Heck, most of the so called "pro" drivers are leaving a second or two or three on the table.

You guys will realize one day that you are not really as close to 10/10ths as you think. And no there is no double standard, same applies to me, but I can admit it. In fact, I know where it is many times.
Yep My young friend Madison did a 2:13.19 he was 16 at the time
Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

You wrote above under my quoted words but what do you mean or why under that quote?
I just said Rad is pretty accurate with his numbers many verified..
Some hypothetical but they add for me talking about the cars we run with on the tracks we run?

What has that got to do with leaving time on the table blah blah?
We don't run cars at 10/10th of their capable lap times we run our 10 10th safely with margin and without spinning but, I see myself more as a endurance driver emptying the tank than a TT lapper like you. I do think we push the cars to their limit in terms of durability though. You never heard me say otherwise, I've had enough coaches to know what and where I lose time.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
Easy now. Corvettes are fast, I've got Danny Popp at my local tracks to remind me of that, but anybody with talent that spends enough time behind any particular car will be fast. Comparing lap times from different cars is pointless, and so is comparing a lap from somebody who has no seat time in your car.

Torque and mechanical grip. Those are two things which don't exactly take tons of talent to utilize, and just happens to be what the Corvette has in spades. Oh and 638hp, but I guess that doesn't count for anything in lap times either.

Running 315/345 Hoosier A6's, or Michelin Slicks gives so much mechanical grip, the margin for error is laughable. Anybody with marginal talent can get into any Vette (much less a ZR1) and wheel it around at a pace that most cars can't even match. I'm not commenting on your talent, I'm speaking in general.

Who cares, the ZR1 is simply a faster car than any GT3RS (or just about anything), but don't pretend as if it's the most difficult car to learn to drive. It isn't. There's a reason why many GT3 Cup hotshoes can jump in anything and be fast, but you conveniently rarely see Corvette or BMW hotshoes jump into a GT3 and are on pace.

I'm not impressed by anybody who shows up to a DE using racing slicks. That says more about them than what lap time they run. It's like showing up to a knife fight with a bazooka, then bragging about the win.
+1 Corvettes are much faster, maybe you can compare a slicks GT2RS no GT3. I love the cars, just not enough to spend the same money as on a GT3 after mods and there is our durability questions. At least they are real drivers cars, not like GTR, Fiats, maybe even the new GT3..

at 60K the C7 with all it coolers and bits looks like a great car potentially and I cant wait to find out how it is to drive and I sure hope it proves durable on the track. Could not care less about the lap times.

Slicks or not is not a big deal, I run cheap slow tires, so I can extrapolate my times against modded cars with Hoosiers and Slicks. I do agree with you that the cars might feel different but driving fast is driving fast, you might need a weekend or to to figure out the car but I don't think any are that more difficult to drive, just some adapt quicker than others.

Talented high level pro's can jump in anything and be fast in a few laps at any new track. That's why they are pro's and we are far from.

We have seen a lot of slower (More careful, less experienced) but also very fast drivers on slicks and as long as the slow guys in fast cars on slicks don't confuse lap times with ability, why not if they want to spend the money on tires.

I only try to beat my lap times on my tires.. That's improvement or not.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most instructors I run with are on dot R tires (some run full slicks) along with most of the guys in the advanced group.

We would ruin street tires at VIR, Road Atlanta, Sebring, and Barber sliding through the corners. Our cars simply overpower the street tires.

Occasionally I run one session on street tires when the track is damp or wet.

So yes, there is a reason for running racing tires other than EGO.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

DOUBLE POST
Old 07-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
I agree with most of what you said, except for the above. Some would say you showing up with a GT3 for a DE is bringing a machine gun to a knife fight. I am typically running discontinued new (less than $700/set) Continental slick scrubs. They are cheap, they last a fair while, and they have good grip. So, if you think I'm cheating, sorry. Run what you brung.

Most of us on here are NOT Popp/Weathers, etc. capable or certainly pro-driver or we wouldn't be on here arguing over who can outrun who at a DE. We are fighting for table scraps on the maintenance crew table in the racer building.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha, Your math is a theoretical joke. You should be on trial instead of Fabulous Fab..
There was nothing wrong with Fab's math. real or in theory. His firm's client disclosure skills however....need some work. But they were hardly alone in such tactics. De rigeur.

p.s.
no need to wait for GM to make stupid power C7
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/15/h...t-reach-1-000/

Hennessey
HPE600 Supercharged ($12,495) 600 hp @ 6,300 rpm
HPE700 Supercharged ($18,450) 700 hp @ 6,300 rpm
HPE800 Twin-Turbo ($54,950) 800 hp @ 6,300 rpm
HPE1000 Twin-Turbo ($67,950) 1,100 hp @ 6,300 rpm

Power:
• 1000 bhp @ 6,300 rpm

HPE1000 Supercharged Upgrade Includes:
• HPE Custom Balanced & Forged Engine
• Twin Ball Bearing Turbochargers
• Forged Aluminum Pistons
• Forged Steel Rods & Crankshaft
• Custom HPE Camshaft
• High Flow Cylinder Heads
• Fuel System Upgrade
• Stainless Steel Inlet Piping
• Dual Wastegates
• Electronic Boost Controller
• Air-to-Air Intercooler
• Dual Air Induction Filters
• Stainless Steel Turbo Downpipes
• Stainless Steel Exhaust System
• Professional Installation
• HPE Engine Management Calibration
• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
• Hennessey Exterior Badging
• Hennessey Premium Floormats
• Hennessey Carbon Fiber Door Sills
• 1 Year / 12,000 Mile Limited Warranty

Optional Upgrades
• CarbonAero® Body Upgrades
• Hennessey Monoblock Wheel Upgrade
• Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
• Brembo Carbon Ceramic Brake Upgrade
• Penske Adjustable Suspension Upgrade
• Custom Interior Leather Upgrades
• Carbon Fiber Interior Upgrades

Other Bolt-on Mailorder Parts Upgrades:
• HPE Cold Air Induction Upgrade
• Stainless Steel Catback Exhaust System
• Long-tube Stainless Steel Headers
• TVS2300 Supercharger System
• 5-point Racing Harnesses
• CarbonAero® Front Spoiler
• CarbonAero® Rear Lip Spoiler
• CarbonAero® Side Sills

Last edited by perfectlap; 07-17-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...