Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

Stop arguing already.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Congratulations

I'm impressed, I'm pretty sure Jenk12m set the lap record for Panoz Racing School at Road Atlanta, either that or he was really close to it. Spec cars as well. Also very impressive, however I'll let him explain the vast number of hacks that were in his class. And this is a racing school so people were coming for racing licenses, not a DE school. I think they crashed 6 or 7 cars the weekend he was there. I know him, so I know he can wheel a car, however the vast majority of talented drivers don't go to driving school.

I'll be more impressed when you can run times with Troy Messer, Mike Weathers, Mike Perkins etc.. They haven't been to Spring Mountain, but are still extracting more of the cars potential from their cars. Yeah we can all go faster, but these guys are really pushing their cars near the limits.

Have you scaled your car? I imagine with the race seats, wheels and tires you probably lost about 100-150 lbs. So you'd be in the 3400-3500 lbs range race weight. Add an exhaust and that's gotta be about 60 more lbs. Tune the car and you would be good to go with your aero, might even be over with the slicks.

I don't believe your car is heavy enough to run 650 whp (100 more than stock) and slicks. You'd have to weigh 3700 lbs race weight to do that.
My car scaled 3,477lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas at the one and only NASA TT event I've run to date at MSR Cresson 3.1. That with 555rwhp from the 100% stock LS9 put me over 6.2lbs/hp. So, factor in 2 year old Continental slicks, stock alignment, stock seats, zero aero, and zero weight savings and I ran a little over 3.5 seconds back from Messer, 2.5 seconds back from Weathers, and one second from Perkins on the 3.1 mile Motorsport Ranch Cresson course. I ran a 2:20.3 to 2:16.x from Messer 2:17.x from Weathers, and 2:19.x from Perkins. They were all running brand new Hoosier A6 in 315/345 sizes, I believe.

So, what will my car do now with the above mentioned mods/enhancements? I guess we will see. But, if you don't think aero, a bit of weight reduction, new slicks, proper alignment, race seats/harnesses, etc. won't take seconds off my lap time, then I don't know what to say. Again, the proof is in the pudding, but my car will be a little more competitive at the next NASA TT event. The issue isn't in my driving. I can extract it and I will.

Originally Posted by hf1
Quikag, nice work on those lap-times at both tracks!

I watched your COTA video. Have you tried keeping your hands steady at 9 & 3? By the lack of any corrective action I saw and with a better sitting position and proper seat & harnes, I'd say you still have about 3-4secs on that track.
Thank you and I agree on the hand positioning. If you watch my most recent COTA video with BMWCCA, I had my new race seats/harnesses in the car and I was maintaining 9-3 hand positioning almost the entire weekend. As previously mentioned, I had to shuffle steer previously with the stock seats to jam my elbow into the door panel to keep from sliding out of the seat. It was so much nicer, incredibly nicer actually to have race seats/harnesses.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

[QUOTE=TRAKCAR;10557578]You sure you can afford a GT3?
Fauk you if you can't a joke. I love Corvette's I'll buy one long before I buy a PDK GT3. I thought you made a great post seriously. I can't type or reason very well generally I'm just going for post count.

Another well thought out comment.
I'm pretty sure I can afford one, but thanks for your concern.
You started this, not me.
As I stated above, I only posted a link to a video of a fellow member of this forum (and the vette forum as well) showing him at the track.
There were not even any words in that post, so i don't see how you thought I was bashing anyone?
I have nothing but praise for the GT3 (997, 991 -- never drove the 996 so I wouldn't dream to comment on it) and if you look at my posts here and at corvetteforum.com (05dsom) you would understand that.
I think you have Quickag's comments ascribed to me??

whatever..I think both cars are great and I am lucky enough to soon have one of each. Rear engined, NA flat 6 with PDK and SC'd V8 front engined 6 speed.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

You should keep your Corvette.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You should keep your Corvette.
I am.
You should try it (ZR1), I really think you would enjoy it. MN6!
Old 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Ill go manual 7 for half the price. But what do I know I'm just an idiot.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Ill go manual 7 for half the price. But what do I know I'm just an idiot.
now who can't take a joke.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:00 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
My car scaled 3,477lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas at the one and only NASA TT event I've run to date at MSR Cresson 3.1. That with 555rwhp from the 100% stock LS9 put me over 6.2lbs/hp. So, factor in 2 year old Continental slicks, stock alignment, stock seats, zero aero, and zero weight savings and I ran a little over 3.5 seconds back from Messer, 2.5 seconds back from Weathers, and one second from Perkins on the 3.1 mile Motorsport Ranch Cresson course. I ran a 2:20.3 to 2:16.x from Messer 2:17.x from Weathers, and 2:19.x from Perkins. They were all running brand new Hoosier A6 in 315/345 sizes, I believe.

So, what will my car do now with the above mentioned mods/enhancements? I guess we will see. But, if you don't think aero, a bit of weight reduction, new slicks, proper alignment, race seats/harnesses, etc. won't take seconds off my lap time, then I don't know what to says. Again, the proof is in the pudding, but my car will be a little more competitive at the next NASA TT event. The issue isn't in my driving. I can extract it and I will.

No doubt you will improve. Thats not my point. Im actually looking forward to seeing how you stack up. Troy is busy running NARRA so you may have to wait a while to get a shot at him. Not sure whats up with Weathers.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Man, I cannot wait until September/October when I get back in the saddle for next season. Even if Troy, Mike, and Michael don't show up, I can still base my improvement off their previous times as a baseline. By the way, I got along great with all 3 of them at my one and only NASA event to date....well, Weathers was pissed at me initially. Here's what happened. I went out on the first practice session and ran a 2:21. Weathers ran a 2:25. He was running scrub tires, just warming the car up, not pushing at all. Second session is for recorded time. I grid up behind Messer, Weathers, and Perkins. The grid lady comes up and tells me I have to get in front of Weathers because I ran a faster lap the first session. I tell her I don't want to and that he is faster than me. She makes me get up there and I only found out later I should have let Weathers back by on the track under the yellow warm-up lap. I didn't know I could do that (technically you aren't supposed to, but you can get away with it).

So, I messed up Weathers fast lap. I was trying to stay out of his way, but he came up on my butt into the toilet bowl and I actually overran my turn-in point, put 2 wheels off, and jacked up my stupid factory splitter. I let him by immediately thereafter. That half second slow down for him messed up his lap and he was pissed until I explained what happened. It was my first event with them too, so I was still learning. Track etiquette is very important to me. Anyway, after that was resolved, I hung out with all 3 of them off and on through the rest of the weekend. Good guys and they are now costing me quite a bit of money to make my ZR a bit more competitive. It sure is fun though. Very addicting.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Yeah, they are great guys. Weathers has been running his times with about 400 whp from a LS3 while LG fixes the botched motor they built for him. He's going to be crazy fast when his 427 is finished.

TT1 in the SE has become a lame duck so I will be traveling next year to find the competition. TX sounds like the best destination based on the talent and vehicle level.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

+1 gotta get to Texas!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Yeah, they are great guys. Weathers has been running his times with about 400 whp from a LS3 while LG fixes the botched motor they built for him. He's going to be crazy fast when his 427 is finished.

TT1 in the SE has become a lame duck so I will be traveling next year to find the competition. TX sounds like the best destination based on the talent and vehicle level.
400rwhp?!?!? Hahahahaha...try closer to 550+rwhp. I heard that from a very reliable source. That LS3 was cranking some power. His car is somewhat of a model for mine as his interior is almost stock, he doesn't have a ton of weight reduction, but has some nice suspension, aero, etc. Stockish looking car, but very fast. Nicely set-up car and great driver. He will definitely be faster when his built 427 is finished. Look forward to you joining in the TT fun next season here in TX.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

That's the spirit! 13 posts and here come the Corvette guys stir the pot on a huge Corvette thread on Rennlist. Very appropriate. Thanks!
Yep here come the Corvette guys...I welcome the "foreigners"!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm going drag racing with Rad next year
Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quikag
400rwhp?!?!? Hahahahaha...try closer to 550+rwhp. I heard that from a very reliable source. That LS3 was cranking some power. His car is somewhat of a model for mine as his interior is almost stock, he doesn't have a ton of weight reduction, but has some nice suspension, aero, etc. Stockish looking car, but very fast. Nicely set-up car and great driver. He will definitely be faster when his built 427 is finished. Look forward to you joining in the TT fun next season here in TX.
Not when he ran at road atlanta it wasnt. I did a lead follow for him perkins and messer. Messer and I were equal on the straights, perkins and weathers fell back.

Here is a "stock power" gtr from tt2 (yes tt2) walking him down on the back straight. I thinks a newer gtr with 545 crank hp. It did seem aa little hard to walk on the straights than other TT2 cars so I have my doubts. But its clearly way faster than Weathers on the straight. This does not happen to 550whp on a much lighter corvette.. But of course when people are fast there is always someone to accuse them of more hp. Weathers is legit as far as im concerned as is Messer.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...