Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:53 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 785 Posts

That's the spirit! 13 posts and here come the Corvette guys stir the pot on a huge Corvette thread on Rennlist. Very appropriate. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
What I could do with 50/50 wd, 200 more HP, and soft racing slicks at COTA...that's gotta be low teens on slicks. Never driven a vette though. Quickag passed me on 11-12 like I was going backwards (at 150).
Can you imagine if Porsche build the Corvette, or if Chevy proves bullit proof like at the track. Wet dreams..

Originally Posted by mooty
what are we talking about in this thread?
what's COTA.
i know what a corvette is. fast big V8 i like.
going to bed. yawn.
Don't you own more GM products now than Porsches? Race cars don't count. You better get one on order, I'll spec it and give you the number for the group buy when the time comes. I wonder if we can get some free track wheels if we order 10-20 Z51's..

Originally Posted by wanna911
He has a TT license and has run in NASA TT events in Texas. There won't be any problems there.

However as ShakeNBake points out, that car is potent. GT3's on slicks could run 2:22 at COTA and 1:49 at TWS. Jenk did a 1:52 on the RA1 combo in one (and only one) day at TWS in his 3.8 RS. Randy did a 2:27 at COTA in someone else's car on a new track at COTA. Both tracks have huge straights where there is nothing you can do without more hp, and more advantage to slicks on a green track.

He'll have to step well out of range of 3.8's on slicks to be competition for faster TT cars.
I agree, it should go faster, maybe it's not driven at 10/10th..

Originally Posted by Quikag
We shall see what my car is capable of with the new optimized set-up. Rest assured those laptimes aren't close to what the car can do now. As far as my driving, the only truly spec thing I've done is Level 1 and 2 Corvette driving school at Spring Mountain outside of Vegas. If you read kmcmcmahon's thread link above, you'll read that I set the overall student lap record at Spring Mountain.

What is interesting about that is they run truly stock Corvettes so everyone drives the same car. On the last two open lapping sessions on the last day of Level 2, they put transponders in the car. It was in my last session that I reset the student lap record, actually twice in back to back laps. So, over 1,000 students have gone through their school.

The only reason I mention that is you can bet I will get what is available out of my car when the time comes.
This is quite the cheater ZR1 what happened to the stock on slicks?
Everyone knows that Corvette drivers generally are just drag racers, so most students never took a turn in anger I can imagine.

I'd love to have the inside tech about how stock those cars really are. Like Bondurant they do a lot of little things to make them last when I was there but that's 10+ years ago when they had Mustangs and Bob drove Cop car Crown Vic's
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Everyone knows that Corvette drivers generally are just drag racers, so most students never took a turn in anger I can imagine.

I'd love to have the inside tech about how stock those cars really are. Like Bondurant they do a lot of little things to make them last when I was there but that's 10+ years ago when they had Mustangs and Bob drove Cop car Crown Vic's
You drive the school cars. They only offer the Grand Sport and Z06 in the Level 2 school and you are not permitted to drive the ZR1. So, I set the lap record in the Z06. You can only do Level 2 school after you've done Level 1 school, so if you think the guys (not all of them are Vette owners btw, I became buddies with a 997 GT3 owner who was in my class) that drive Level 2 are only drag racers, then I don't know what to say. They spent over $3k for Level 1 and closer to $3,500 for Level 2 to learn to how to go faster on a road course. Most of them aren't hacks.

Regarding stock, the school swore to me the only change they made to the school cars was brake fluid and all their cars ran Michelin PS2 tires. Otherwise, cars are 100% stock down the horrible seats and everything. I even asked them if they could at least put a CG lock in the cars and they said no. haha.

My car with the above referenced lap times was on stock alignment. The guy I bought the Michelin slicks from (Daniel Finke at Finspeed) had a Michelin engineer evaluate my stock alignment and even watch my COTA lap video. The Michelin engineer also looked at pictures of my trashed tires and said if I got the proper alignment, I would pick up a few seconds minimum. I was using less than half of the tires grip availability when I set my 2:22 lap time at COTA and sliding all over the place in my stock seats. My 1:49 at TWS was on the same set of Michelins and they had already corded.

So, with the above in mind I guess I will see what the car can do with the following:

Cobra Suzuka GT Pro seats with harness bar/roll hoop and Shroth six-point harnesses (already installed)
Pfadt camber kit with Pfadt poly bushings (already installed)
Full race slick alignment (already done)
Lithium Ion race battery (sitting in garage)
Brand new Finspeed wheels and Michelin race slicks (sitting in garage)
Race wing and race splitter (TBD)

Time will tell, but even with the above, I won't be close to TT1 power/weight optimization. I think it will at least make it interesting though.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:49 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw this truck after it left the Corvette plant, heading Northeast out of Kentucky with semi-covert technique. I says to my wife, "Honey, take that picture. That's the scantily-clad new C7 Stingray--yet to be released."

Last edited by 911GT3; 11-24-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:00 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^ Nice catch!

Probably all on their way to Kerbeck.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:34 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That's the spirit! 13 posts and here come the Corvette guys stir the pot on a huge Corvette thread on Rennlist. Very appropriate. Thanks!

Can you imagine if Porsche build the Corvette, or if Chevy proves bullit proof like at the track. Wet dreams..

Don't you own more GM products now than Porsches? Race cars don't count. You better get one on order, I'll spec it and give you the number for the group buy when the time comes. I wonder if we can get some free track wheels if we order 10-20 Z51's..

I agree, it should go faster, maybe it's not driven at 10/10th..

you're an idiot...I have my deposit for an allocation on the 991 GT3, I just posted that to show that this guy can drive, WTF? The reason I haven't posted on here was because I am new to the forum and new to the brand...thanks for the classy welcome ..... you're definitely perpetuating the Porsche-owner stigma.

Weren't you just singing the C7's praises over on the 991 GT3 forum.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-at-vir-2.html
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
you're an idiot...
I'm not sure you're doing any better for the GM stigma either...calm down.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:47 PM
El Matador
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're an idiot...
Subscribed.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:57 PM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It is a great spot to be in--arguing over two great cars, both with history, both of which have continued to get better, and both of which are coveted by so many. And to think I thought in the eighties that cars were finished and we would never see the kind of performance we used to have ....
Old 06-22-2013, 03:11 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
It is a great spot to be in--arguing over two great cars, both with history, both of which have continued to get better, and both of which are coveted by so many. And to think I thought in the eighties that cars were finished and we would never see the kind of performance we used to have ....
tru dat.....and well said
Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
We shall see what my car is capable of with the new optimized set-up. Rest assured those laptimes aren't close to what the car can do now. As far as my driving, the only truly spec thing I've done is Level 1 and 2 Corvette driving school at Spring Mountain outside of Vegas. If you read kmcmcmahon's thread link above, you'll read that I set the overall student lap record at Spring Mountain.

What is interesting about that is they run truly stock Corvettes so everyone drives the same car. On the last two open lapping sessions on the last day of Level 2, they put transponders in the car. It was in my last session that I reset the student lap record, actually twice in back to back laps. So, over 1,000 students have gone through their school.

The only reason I mention that is you can bet I will get what is available out of my car when the time comes.
Congratulations

I'm impressed, I'm pretty sure Jenk12m set the lap record for Panoz Racing School at Road Atlanta, either that or he was really close to it. Spec cars as well. Also very impressive, however I'll let him explain the vast number of hacks that were in his class. And this is a racing school so people were coming for racing licenses, not a DE school. I think they crashed 6 or 7 cars the weekend he was there. I know him, so I know he can wheel a car, however the vast majority of talented drivers don't go to driving school.

I'll be more impressed when you can run times with Troy Messer, Mike Weathers, Mike Perkins etc.. They haven't been to Spring Mountain, but are still extracting more of the cars potential from their cars. Yeah we can all go faster, but these guys are really pushing their cars near the limits.

Have you scaled your car? I imagine with the race seats, wheels and tires you probably lost about 100-150 lbs. So you'd be in the 3400-3500 lbs range race weight. Add an exhaust and that's gotta be about 60 more lbs. Tune the car and you would be good to go with your aero, might even be over with the slicks.

I don't believe your car is heavy enough to run 650 whp (100 more than stock) and slicks. You'd have to weigh 3700 lbs race weight to do that.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

So when are the first Stingrays to be delivered or to show up at dealers?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:50 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Quikag, nice work on those lap-times at both tracks!

I watched your COTA video. Have you tried keeping your hands steady at 9 & 3? By the lack of any corrective action I saw and with a better sitting position and proper seat & harnes, I'd say you still have about 3-4secs on that track.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:00 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

you're an idiot...I have my deposit for an allocation on the 991 GT3, I just posted that to show that this guy can drive, WTF? The reason I haven't posted on here was because I am new to the forum and new to the brand...thanks for the classy welcome ..... you're definitely perpetuating the Porsche-owner stigma.

Weren't you just singing the C7's praises over on the 991 GT3 forum.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-at-vir-2.html
You sure you can afford a GT3?
Fauk you if you can't a joke. I love Corvette's I'll buy one long before I buy a PDK GT3. I thought you made a great post seriously. I can't type or reason very well generally I'm just going for post count.

That's no fun, now post something where Corvette owners only like Corvettes because they can't afford a Porsche

Originally Posted by El Matador
Subscribed.
I know and the weekend is young!

Originally Posted by wanna911
Congratulations

I'm impressed, I'm pretty sure Jenk12m set the lap record for Panoz Racing School at Road Atlanta, either that or he was really close to it. Spec cars as well. Also very impressive, however I'll let him explain the vast number of hacks that were in his class. And this is a racing school so people were coming for racing licenses, not a DE school. I think they crashed 6 or 7 cars the weekend he was there. I know him, so I know he can wheel a car, however the vast majority of talented drivers don't go to driving school.

I'll be more impressed when you can run times with Troy Messer, Mike Weathers, Mike Perkins etc.. They haven't been to Spring Mountain, but are still extracting more of the cars potential from their cars. Yeah we can all go faster, but these guys are really pushing their cars near the limits.

Have you scaled your car? I imagine with the race seats, wheels and tires you probably lost about 100-150 lbs. So you'd be in the 3400-3500 lbs range race weight. Add an exhaust and that's gotta be about 60 more lbs. Tune the car and you would be good to go with your aero, might even be over with the slicks.

I don't believe your car is heavy enough to run 650 whp (100 more than stock) and slicks. You'd have to weigh 3700 lbs race weight to do that.
I can just picture Jenks priceless " i never drove one of these" innocent look on his face
Old 06-22-2013, 04:02 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
So when are the first Stingrays to be delivered or to show up at dealers?
I think September?
With the sport seats, OEM data acquisition and camera it may be early 2014 for me.

Originally Posted by hf1
Quikag, nice work on those lap-times at both tracks!

I watched your COTA video. Have you tried keeping your hands steady at 9 & 3? By the lack of any corrective action I saw and with a better sitting position and proper seat & harnes, I'd say you still have about 3-4secs on that track.
Brutal, just no mercy.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GT3
who's arguing over the cars?
I just posted twice in this thread:

once was to show my surprise over 70 pages on the new bette when there were only 20 or so on cf.

the other was to post a link to a video.

how is that arguing about the cars? I'm buying one for God's sake!?!?

Quick Reply: New Corvette...