Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ur20v
Wow thats some poor aluminium welding on the tank circ weld...
Same thing I thought. Both upper and lower welds stuck out like a diseased, gangrenous, stinking thumb. Had I been that presenter I would have been too embarrassed and ashamed of that to even show it. Anyone know who manufactures that piece? Perfect example of "don't give a sh*t" quality is exactly why I've been unwilling to give any consideration to US nameplates for years (decades). Hoping against hope my countrymen find some renewed sense of craftsmanship and improve the quality and engineering of the new model car/trucks
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Mike. Your wine cellar is missing.... wine.
fixed. This is where my wine budget went ....

Originally Posted by skxf430
I think may need to use mine for theater seats.

By the way, how did you eliminate the seat belt chime when you replaced your seats?
No seat belt warning chime like Porsche when you remove the seats. You just get an small airbag warning light on dash - no big deal

Originally Posted by savyboy
Same thing I thought. Both upper and lower welds stuck out like a diseased, gangrenous, stinking thumb. Had I been that presenter I would have been too embarrassed and ashamed of that to even show it. Anyone know who manufactures that piece? Perfect example of "don't give a sh*t" quality is exactly why I've been unwilling to give any consideration to US nameplates for years (decades). Hoping against hope my countrymen find some renewed sense of craftsmanship and improve the quality and engineering of the new model car/trucks
These oil tank are made by Walmart

They don't bother me since they do their job well and I don't see them
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
fixed. This is where my wine budget went ....
LOL. Money well spent!

No seat belt warning chime like Porsche when you remove the seats. You just get an small airbag warning light on dash - no big deal
I had this problem on another car of mine years ago. The solution was to put a resistor in the circuit that triggers the light. Maybe one of the vette guys figured this out...?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
LOL. Money well spent!

I had this problem on another car of mine years ago. The solution was to put a resistor in the circuit that triggers the light. Maybe one of the vette guys figured this out...?
Yeah, no expensive wine for sure

Yes, there are very inexpensive trick such as resisteor for the driver seat but once you remove the passenger seat then game over - too many electronic nanny to defeat. The little red airbag light on the dash really don't bother me ... looks kid of cool lol
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

What do you think of the Ford GT?

Prices have held up very, very well, and a lot of the same guys who wrinkle their precious noses at the new Viper, the ZR-1, the C7, etc. are enamored with that car, and desirous to add one to their collection of (typically) European supercars.

If GM built a new super sports car - not badged Corvette, but had the ZR-1 motor, dramatic styling, and a bespoke interior - would it find an audience at $150k plus?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guest89
What do you think of the Ford GT?

Prices have held up very, very well, and a lot of the same guys who wrinkle their precious noses at the new Viper, the ZR-1, the C7, etc. are enamored with that car, and desirous to add one to their collection of (typically) European supercars.

If GM built a new super sports car - not badged Corvette, but had the ZR-1 motor, dramatic styling, and a bespoke interior - would it find an audience at $150k plus?
No opinion on Ford GT, never had a good look at one up close. My general perception is that it is a very special car.

I remain very interested in the new Vette. Let's see what actually rolls out the factory doors, but at this moment it seems to me to provide a heck of a value and great looks. Kudos to GM for the effort. If I wanted a daily driver sports car I'd give it really strong consideration over anything else out there right now. Heavy in it's current iteration though, would be hoping for a factory "track pack" to remove the frills.

Tough call on $150k+ GM car. Hard to imagine that finding an audience in the current economic climate. If they could build something special and find obscene profit margins like Porsche does, then they should give it a try.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Ford GT is a poster car, sold at a loss. IMO, it's the most special modern American car.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:23 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
09 and newer C6 Z06 are the one to get because of added dry sump capacity to deal with "rare" oil starvation induced from > 4 seconds 1G or higher left hand turn.
The larger tank is a very inexpensive and easy upgrade for the earlier C6 Z06s.

Gary
Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Ford GT is a poster car, sold at a loss. IMO, it's the most special modern American car.
designed/engineered in less than 2 years -- how -- by over engineering every aspect of it
you have all seen the adsurd aftermarket power they are running through the drivetrain with no issue
Ricardo gearbox in a ford street car -- simply put they needed something they knew would last without a lot of testing, so they went to "the best" and got the best.

this is a very special car for many reasons and top of the list for me is the fact that it is built like a tank.

If I had coin, I would tuck one of these away -- they are going no where but up...
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
designed/engineered in less than 2 years -- how -- by over engineering every aspect of it
you have all seen the adsurd aftermarket power they are running through the drivetrain with no issue
Ricardo gearbox in a ford street car -- simply put they needed something they knew would last without a lot of testing, so they went to "the best" and got the best.

this is a very special car for many reasons and top of the list for me is the fact that it is built like a tank.

If I had coin, I would tuck one of these away -- they are going no where but up...
+1. Bill Ford Jr. literally demanded a world class sports car, and boy he got it.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:03 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Agreed. I was waiting for the prices to fall and then was going to jump on one. They never really did and I doubt they ever will.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
Agreed. I was waiting for the prices to fall and then was going to jump on one. They never really did and I doubt they ever will.
over time the modded ones will slip as they get driven and beaten IMHO... but original all 4 option cars with low miles will continue marching right up in value.

I think the CGT is in the same league... last manual big pow non hybrid non 911 car from Porsche. The 918 will sell out but I think it sucks by comparison - too much BS and too much $.

Along the same lines I think the GT2RS will hold pretty strong, as far as GT2's go, as it is certainly the last 911 that will entail the magic cocktail of the following 4 items -- manual trans, 2wd, non hybird, 600hp... limited numbers does not hurt... but if the 991 is the future of the 911 can you imagine what the next iteration will be like? 2 door panameras with 24s

The new modern super car is laden with hybrid this and electornic that and flappy paddle shifters and wifi hotspots etc... me thinks the last of the super cars with manual transmissions will continue to climb in value in the long run, at least as long as luddites like me long for them.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Totally agree.
The car is a great build with proven drivetrain.
I have been looking for one for some time but the prices have been going up and not down!
Even the high mile drivers are holding!

Nothing exists under 125k and most are anywhere from 135k-200k.

Great investment.
Kills me I never got one when i had the chance at $125k for a white 19000 mile car.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
+1. Bill Ford Jr. literally demanded a world class sports car, and boy he got it.
No opinion on Ford GT, never had a good look at one up close. My general perception is that it is a very special car.

I remain very interested in the new Vette. Let's see what actually rolls out the factory doors, but at this moment it seems to me to provide a heck of a value and great looks. Kudos to GM for the effort. If I wanted a daily driver sports car I'd give it really strong consideration over anything else out there right now. Heavy in it's current iteration though, would be hoping for a factory "track pack" to remove the frills.

Tough call on $150k+ GM car. Hard to imagine that finding an audience in the current economic climate. If they could build something special and find obscene profit margins like Porsche does, then they should give it a try.
Originally Posted by Serge944
Originally Posted by tdf360
The larger tank is a very inexpensive and easy upgrade for the earlier C6 Z06s.

Gary

Originally Posted by BartN (TX)
over time the modded ones will slip as they get driven and beaten IMHO... but original all 4 option cars with low miles will continue marching right up in value.

I think the CGT is in the same league... last manual big pow non hybrid non 911 car from Porsche. The 918 will sell out but I think it sucks by comparison - too much BS and too much $.

Along the same lines I think the GT2RS will hold pretty strong, as far as GT2's go, as it is certainly the last 911 that will entail the magic cocktail of the following 4 items -- manual trans, 2wd, non hybird, 600hp... limited numbers does not hurt... but if the 991 is the future of the 911 can you imagine what the next iteration will be like? 2 door panameras with 24s

The new modern super car is laden with hybrid this and electornic that and flappy paddle shifters and wifi hotspots etc... me thinks the last of the super cars with manual transmissions will continue to climb in value in the long run, at least as long as luddites like me long for them.
Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Totally agree.
The car is a great build with proven drivetrain.
I have been looking for one for some time but the prices have been going up and not down!
Even the high mile drivers are holding!

Nothing exists under 125k and most are anywhere from 135k-200k.

Great investment.
Kills me I never got one when i had the chance at $125k for a white 19000 mile car.
I guess the point I wanted to make was that an American sports car / super car doesn't necessarily have to be a cost-cutting exercise that leads to verdicts on the car containing caveats like "... for the price."

I think the inability to tempt enthusiasts of more premium European brands is the different philosophy with respect to refinement and quality - people who appreciate Ferrari, Porsche, etc. evidently place a premium on buying a "complete" car, about which there aren't any excuses made.

I don't think the Le Mans "heritage" of the GT (compare one side by side with a real GT40 and the new one is a bloated caricature, similar to 991 vs. 901) has helped its sales or current values - the car stands on its own, and it's a shame that GM can't / won't make something similar.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,648 Likes on 2,325 Posts

american cars have been POS for a good long time. but that is changing. some of the newer cadillac, GMC, chevy, camero, 'stang and the FGT are really incredible cars. as far as blowing up.... haha, bring me your car, there is NOTHING i cannot break. ask the ppl i track with, you be EXTREMELY surprised with my destructive power

not many things/cars are mooty proof, american or otherwise.

Quick Reply: New Corvette...