Notices

New Corvette...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 761 Posts

Overall the less you see the better LOL.

2 exhausts is the right number :-)
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It hurts my eyes. Kinda looks like a bad copy of the Camaro and funny thing is, they just cleaned up the Camaro with a nice rear end for 2014!

All you can do is get a dark color and or paint the rear.
I bet aftermarket companies will make a CF piece to glue on with maybe twin trapezoid outlets...
thats what i was thinking. I also think they left plenty of room (like CF diffuser) for the higher end models.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 AM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tacky as hell
Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A pair of rectangular matte Black exhaust outlets like the 1993 Z28 fixes the rear.

$60k is 2.7 Cayman money, with dry sump, transmission cooler, differential cooler, BBK, brake cooling, something not available in a base Cayman 2.7.

$60k performs at the level of 997.2 GT3, 991 Carrera S, and very likely faster than these two.

The now old C6 Z06 lapped the Ring 11 seconds (eleven) faster than a 997.2 GT3 RS, and it lapped Laguna Seca 2 secs faster.

It is a winner.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Been on air-cooled 911's for decades...
yes, i forgot. but no longer on our water cooled cars.
the last gen were critised for oil starvation our load so it appears like Chevy is addressing it.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:23 AM
kosmo
Race Director

I agree NJ-GT, lightly modded vettes have always been track winners. While we'll have to wait to drive the car, Im willing to bet the new vette w/ z51 will beat the 991S ring time of 7:38.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
A pair of rectangular matte Black exhaust outlets like the 1993 Z28 fixes the rear.

$60k is 2.7 Cayman money, with dry sump, transmission cooler, differential cooler, BBK, brake cooling, something not available in a base Cayman 2.7.

$60k performs at the level of 997.2 GT3, 991 Carrera S, and very likely faster than these two.

The now old C6 Z06 lapped the Ring 11 seconds (eleven) faster than a 997.2 GT3 RS, and it lapped Laguna Seca 2 secs faster.

It is a winner.
I agree but the biggest complaint with C5/C6's is that they break if you abuse them at the track. A few fast laps by a factory driver on a factory sorted car don't really address that issue. I wanna see a stock C7 that has 5-10K track miles on it without any issues before I am ready to jump in.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I agree but the biggest complaint with C5/C6's is that they break if you abuse them at the track. A few fast laps by a factory driver on a factory sorted car don't really address that issue. I wanna see a stock C7 that has 5-10K track miles on it without any issues before I am ready to jump in.
Hey Ritesh, long time no see! So, re: your comments, what factory production street car doesn't break on the track with ABUSE? Based on another thread in here, the newer GT3 model P-cars have plenty of issues. Plus, the difference is GM doesn't have any problem covering warranty repairs as long as the car is kept stock and not abused (i.e. mechanical overrev, etc.) even with track work.

I think I've said about 3 times in this thread that between my '01 C5, '08 LS3 C6, and now my '10 ZR1, I've never had any significant mechanical issues or major electrical issues between all of them. That is why I keep buying Vettes. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I run my cars pretty hard, but don't abuse them. I maintain them well and they've returned the favor.

For $60k, the C7 Z51 is going to be unbeatable as a track day value. Plus, if you keep it stock and something does break not due to abuse, GM will cover it. That's better than spending $140k on a GT3 RS and having something break at a track day (after being passed by half-price Vettes) and then Porsche telling you to get bent on a warranty repair.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Ritesh C5z06 specifically broke so often i got tired and sold the car last year.

I had a 2004 , brake rotors cracked many times after a few sessions (Upgrade to wilwood etc may resolve this) , ABS and other electrical issues plagued my car, Valve springs broke after 3 track days. I have to say that it was an awesome car when it ran well. My 996tt or Gt3 never had a single issue anytime. Maybe i had a bad car ...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by vbmw335i
I agree with Ritesh C5z06 specifically broke so often i got tired and sold the car last year.

Maybe i had a bad car ...
Nah...it's a Chevy.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C5 Z06 is a VERY reliable car at the track as long as you don't mess with it beyond heads/cam, tune, exhaust.

The C6 and C6Z were atrocities early on. They did seem to remedy some of the issues in later models. But not completely, they still have issues. The ZR1 has been pretty stout.

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

It is a winner.
Yep. I think the C7 will be on par with the .2 RS tire for tire.

Porsche is going to have to realize the itty bitty torque is not going to get it done these days.

Originally Posted by Quikag
Hey Ritesh, long time no see! So, re: your comments, what factory production street car doesn't break on the track with ABUSE? Based on another thread in here, the newer GT3 model P-cars have plenty of issues. Plus, the difference is GM doesn't have any problem covering warranty repairs as long as the car is kept stock and not abused (i.e. mechanical overrev, etc.) even with track work.

I think I've said about 3 times in this thread that between my '01 C5, '08 LS3 C6, and now my '10 ZR1, I've never had any significant mechanical issues or major electrical issues between all of them. That is why I keep buying Vettes. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I run my cars pretty hard, but don't abuse them. I maintain them well and they've returned the favor.

For $60k, the C7 Z51 is going to be unbeatable as a track day value. Plus, if you keep it stock and something does break not due to abuse, GM will cover it. That's better than spending $140k on a GT3 RS and having something break at a track day (after being passed by half-price Vettes) and then Porsche telling you to get bent on a warranty repair.
No, no and noooooooo.........

There are plenty of guys who got denied warranty coverage with Z06 and C6's.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In year 2011 and 2012 alone, the GT3 were the most broken cars I witnessed during my track days.

For reliable VW, 996/997.1 Turbo or GT2.

A C5 Z06 engine is $3,500, the whole car is $20k today, 7 Vettes for the price of a 991 GT3. The SCCA T1 cars run circles around any Aero Beetle.

A GT3 engine is $45,000. Good luck getting somebody to pay for that bill out of warranty, which is essentially as soon as the car touches racetrack pavement, under the new PCNA administration.

A LS3 engine is $4,500. This is not even the price of a single PCCB rotor for the VW. For $10k, you can have a spare engine, spare transmission, extra rotors ($80 a piece compared), and many other consumables.

Advantage Corvette. Aero Beetles break all the time, and they break your bank account too.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teapot much Rad?

And no SCCA T1 will not run circles around the Aero Beetles. T1 lap record at Sebring is 2:18 or 2:19 I think, Road Atlanta is 1:32 and VIR is 2:04 or there abouts on A6's.

DE Cup 3.8 RS's can run those times on the Nitto/RA1 mix and match tires.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 761 Posts

Stand by, I will report.

Originally Posted by Quikag

I have always gotten anything repaired by Porsche. It's a Chevy and I wound abuse it and it will break. I'm just hoping for a friendly dealer and a couple of cheap fixes to make this cheap car work for me. I have not gotten passed much if every by mostly stock Corvette's...

I have seen many with smoke trails and oil puddles under the car though, but who know what abuse or mods they had..

Originally Posted by vbmw335i

I had a 2004 , brake rotors cracked many times after a few sessions (Upgrade to wilwood etc may resolve this) , ABS and other electrical issues plagued my car, Valve springs broke after 3 track days. I have to say that it was an awesome car when it ran well. My 996tt or Gt3 never had a single issue anytime. Maybe i had a bad car ...
Pads and rotors don't count, I could even live with upgrading calipers if I have to.

Originally Posted by neanicu
Nah...it's a Chevy.
Yup.

Originally Posted by wanna911
C5 Z06 is a VERY reliable car at the track as long as you don't mess with it beyond heads/cam, tune, exhaust.

The C6 and C6Z were atrocities early on. They did seem to remedy some of the issues in later models. But not completely, they still have issues. The ZR1 has been pretty stout.

Yep. I think the C7 will be on par with the .2 RS tire for tire.

Porsche is going to have to realize the itty bitty torque is not going to get it done these days.

No, no and noooooooo.........

There are plenty of guys who got denied warranty coverage with Z06 and C6's.
Porsche warranty has been very good to me. I will leave the C7 as stock as possible and only change what needs to be changed,

Teapot much Rad?

And no SCCA T1 will not run circles around the Aero Beetles. T1 lap record at Sebring is 2:18 or 2:19 I think, Road Atlanta is 1:32 and VIR is 2:04 or there abouts on A6's.

I don't really care if its 4 seconds faster or 4 seconds slower as long as I can run tank after tank, have fun for less than $60K, while I can savor the tactical feel of the 4.0 longer...

Its an experiment but someone's got to do it..
Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Teapot much Rad?

This. I think Andrew A. Ran a 2:17+ in qualifying, doesnt count for track records in SCCA, in 08 on A6's in T1 Vette. .2 GT3/RS is faster.

Peter

Quick Reply: New Corvette...