Notices

Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 01:51 AM
SDK Autos
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

I've worked it out! If you tilt your head 4degress to the left or right you can see the gauges! If you can manage it of course.

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
Here is a picture.

Perhaps, if the steering wheel is moved closer, it’s not a problem to see, but then the steering wheel is at wrong distance for optimal driving position.

Glad it worked for you.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:26 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

It’s not that you can’t tilt your head. Of course you can. It’s that it’s dumb to have to on a 125K + car. Is it a deal breaker for me? Alone, it would not. But there are a number of other design choices, including the rear end that looks like a Panamera, that I don’t like. That said, I’m sure the 992 overall drives better than the 991.2. The new front with sport design also looks great to me. So for those who like the car enough to buy it, enjoy it. But seriously some posters here are way too easily offended by a little healthy internet discussion (and I’m guessing it’s mainly in response to other more critical posts and not mine). But the point should be that, as long as you like the car, that is all that should matter to YOU. Everyone has the right, however, to critique a CAR so stop complaining unless you prefer to live in an echo chamber. It’s not like people are criticizing your spouse or children. Chillax, go out and have a drive, and enjoy the day.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:32 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by SDK Autos
I've worked it out! If you tilt your head 4degress to the left or right you can see the gauges! If you can manage it of course.
BTW, latter comments above are not directed at you, but others that don’t seem to understand this is a forum where people discuss things (good, bad, funny, etc.). I’m glad you figured out what works for you and it doesn’t bother you. Have fun driving it!
Old 10-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by russm535il
I wrote to Porsche USA to ask if another steering wheel would be offered as an option to see the gauges no response
Originally Posted by russm535il
This would drive me insane If no other wheel is available I would not buy a 992
Lol, are you frickin kidding. I thought your first post was a joke and then I saw your second. This is the stupidest crap I have ever seen in almost 20 years on any sports car forum (6speed, Fchat, Ltalk, M3, RCF and etc.). Did you really write a letter to Porsche !!??!?!??!?!?!!!!! Thanks for the entertainment.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

It’s not that you can’t tilt your head. Of course you can. It’s that it’s dumb to have to on a 125K + car. Is it a deal breaker for me? Alone, it would not. But there are a number of other design choices, including the rear end that looks like a Panamera, that I don’t like. That said, I’m sure the 992 overall drives better than the 991.2. The new front with sport design also looks great to me. So for those who like the car enough to buy it, enjoy it. But seriously some posters here are way too easily offended by a little healthy internet discussion (and I’m guessing it’s mainly in response to other more critical posts and not mine). But the point should be that, as long as you like the car, that is all that should matter to YOU. Everyone has the right, however, to critique a CAR so stop complaining unless you prefer to live in an echo chamber. It’s not like people are criticizing your spouse or children. Chillax, go out and have a drive, and enjoy the day.
Lol, you sound like a girly millennial Prius driver trying to figure out whether they can live with a sports car. You obviously have never driven and lived with the idiosyncrasies of real sports cars and high end exotics throughout the years. The new 911s provide you world class performance, that is comfortable, daily drivable, cheap to maintain and cheap to purchase relative to the cars within which it competes. If you get all that in a car, but would pass because of gauge layout . . . you either ain't a true sports car person or trying to crap on a car for some personal reason (i.e., cannot afford or defending a recent purchase of another model).

Lol, try spending a day or two in an air cooled Porsche, especially pre-964, or any Ferrari, Lotus or Lamborghini

Below is a picture of my DB11 dash while driving. OOOPPPP, I cannot see anything because of the steering wheel . . .

The following 3 users liked this post by Doug H:
JMartinni (10-31-2019), Peadsw (10-27-2019), SDK Autos (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Anyone else hear anything about C8 power being down or manufacturer's specs being off?
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 10:14 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, you sound like a girly millennial Prius driver trying to figure out whether they can live with a sports car. You obviously have never driven and lived with the idiosyncrasies of real sports cars and high end exotics throughout the years. The new 911s provide you world class performance, that is comfortable, daily drivable, cheap to maintain and cheap to purchase relative to the cars within which it competes. If you get all that in a car, but would pass because of gauge layout . . . you either ain't a true sports car person or trying to crap on a car for some personal reason )i.e., cannot afford or defending a recent purchase of another model).

Lol, try spending a day or two in an air cooled Porsche, especially pre-964, or any Ferrari, Lotus or Lamborghini

Below is a picture of my DB11 dash while driving. OOOPPPP, I cannot see anything because of the steering . . .
Yep, DB11 layout there is stupid too. I don’t buy stuff because it has a badge on it. That’s for insecure people.

Sounds like you’re afraid of people saying anything negative about a car you bought. Snowflake much?

Oh BTW, on my second Porsche, both bought new. Could buy your DB11 or pretty much any sports car out there, but too flashy for me. Should we get out d**k measuring tape? Sounds like you had a bad oyster dude.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:51 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Yep, DB11 layout there is stupid too. I don’t buy stuff because it has a badge on it. That’s for insecure people.

Sounds like you’re afraid of people saying anything negative about a car you bought. Snowflake much?

Oh BTW, on my second Porsche, both bought new. Could buy your DB11 or pretty much any sports car out there, but too flashy for me. Should we get out d**k measuring tape? Sounds like you had a bad oyster dude.
Expected nothing less. Thanks for the entertainment. Have a great Sunday!

But don't sell yourself short. The Aston Martin DB11 is an absolute joy to drive and the leather work inside is nothing short of masterful and artwork. The sound from the last V12 is exhilarating and when tired of that glorious engine note, I click on the Bang & Olufsen stereos. The DB11 makes me smile and gets my heart racing still when I sit in it and start it up. That's what sports car are all about!

Oh, and he is what the dash looks like when I title my head just a little bit . . . walla!

Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
Expected nothing less. Thanks for the entertainment. Have a great Sunday!

But don't sell yourself short. The Aston Martin DB11 is an absolute joy to drive and the leather work inside is nothing short of masterful and artwork. The sound from the last V12 is exhilarating and when tired of that glorious engine note, I click on the Bang & Olufsen stereos. The DB11 makes me smile and gets my heart racing still when I start it up. That's what sports car are all about?

Oh, and he is what the dash looks like when I title my head just a little bit . . . walla!

Likewise.

I like that Astons are hand crafted and English. And the leather work is beautiful. The Garmin GPS and display and the rest of the center console, not so much though. Exterior looks great. Don’t like the new Vantage in comparison. Was considering it, but not my taste.

We each have preferences and should be allowed to express them on the Interwebs.

Have a good Sunday too.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:13 AM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

If the cost of owning a DB11 is to have to tilt my head every so slightly to see certain pieces of information - I think I could manage that

Same goes for a 992
The following 2 users liked this post by Thinc2:
Doug H (10-27-2019), phefner (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

With the new C8 out I wonder what Porsche will do for the 992.2 ???
Old 10-27-2019, 03:02 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,183 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
With the new C8 out I wonder what Porsche will do for the 992.2 ???
The 992 Turbo, GT3, and GTS haven't even landed yet. :P
We're just at the 992 S models, which already deliver significantly higher performance than the 991.2 generation S models. Heck, 992 S models are most often compared with the 991.2 GTS, despite being even faster and better than that car.

With average window stickers for the S models landing around $140-150k+ and back seats, Porsche really isn't competing with the Vette. Compared to the Vette, Porsche is delivering a far more luxurious and faster car with a real heritage behind it. The Vette? It's practically a reset of the heritage and would be like Porsche moving the engine to the front of the car and calling it a 911.

Getting all of that out of the way... my predictions for the 992.2 refresh?
  • Yet another new headlight style to make everyone's existing headlights appear dated -- you can take that one to the bank.
  • Front and rear bumpers will get tweaked. Given the popularity of the Sport Design bumper for traditionalists, you can expect active aero at the front to go away on lower trim 911s.
  • There's no way that the door handles survive the refresh as-is. I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche moved to a simpler handle design or switched to walk up proximity detection.
  • Optional vegan interior is happening, because everyone is doing this now and Porsche already offers it with the Taycan.
  • Hybrid drive train becomes an option for the Turbo cars, but it will use a super capacitor instead of a battery -- like the Lamborghini Sian. Won't be cheap.
  • Camera-based mirrors will become an option for the EU as they're now popping up everywhere -- US doesn't get these.
992Sam (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 03:30 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

As to the above, I don’t think most in the market for a new Porsche 911 are cross shopping Corvettes. Maybe used, but not new. I honestly think these are two different markets and the cars are vastly different. Nothing about any Corvette has ever tempted me and the new C8 checks no boxes for me. It’s not just about performance, looks, feel or etc. Porsche 911s are just all around awesome cars and Vettes are not even close to matching the all around 911 ownership experience.

American cars, including certain portions of the C8, are hideous and gimmicky looking. The only American car I have liked and owned in the past 30 ears has been a GT40. That car was done correctly both times. It kind of blows me away how bad GM designers really are. Their best efforts have been updated knock offs of 1960 muscle cars. They cannot design for shyte.

Last edited by Doug H; 10-27-2019 at 03:58 PM.
992Sam (10-27-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:53 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by detansinn
The 992 Turbo, GT3, and GTS haven't even landed yet. :P
We're just at the 992 S models, which already deliver significantly higher performance than the 991.2 generation S models. Heck, 992 S models are most often compared with the 991.2 GTS, despite being even faster and better than that car.
Are you sure about that? Is there data compared to GTS? Based on Motor Trend test, the 2020 Carrera S is just about 0.9 seconds faster that 2017 Carrera S.

I agree with most of your predictions for 992.2. I’ll consider 992.2 if Porsche fixes some of the more oft-repeated issues on RL.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:54 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

detansinn (10-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test