Originally Posted by jkautz
Music to my ears
Price of admission . . .
Old 10-20-2019 | 12:47 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sebvelez
Great perspective on this video. Specifically the commentary at the end. He starts up super excited driving the car but then afterwards after the initial excitement fades, there’s some good thoughts.
Originally Posted by Matt Farah
... it's such a Detroit hair-band mid-engined car.
Sounds about right. That's GM's target demographic. Folks that went to high-school listening to hair-bands are now in their mid-40s to mid-50s.
Old 10-20-2019 | 12:49 AM
Greg Hines
6th Gear

I've never been a big fan of the Corvette for pretty much my entire life but I did see an older guy in a brand new deep gray vette w/ chrome wheels a few weeks back and thought it looked great. I just don't think GM trust their own designs. There's always at least ONE THING that they don't trust. It's just odd and frustrating to see.
Old 10-20-2019 | 01:33 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

I dig the C8. In person I thought the interior was great and the car was exciting. 992 interior is fine but certainly not something to boast about.

At that pricepoint I think the C8 is great. I’d take it over a 718 for sure. (People forget that the 718/Cayman is its real competition).

cant wait to see the platform expand. Z06 will be a monster.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
brainf18 (10-20-2019), JB43 (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019 | 03:17 AM
groundhog
Race Car

I Just watched the Matt Farah video - the C8 was understeering a lot (turn up the volume).

Looked like it was pushing a lot, the front end grip was being challenged in virtually every corner even the relatively open ones.
Old 10-20-2019 | 08:35 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I would think that GM doesn't think the 718 is the competition. They are looking to dethrone the 911.
I don't have any issues with the C8. It's looks like an honest attempt at really hitting the mark for a more moderately priced performance car. And I can see it drawing both 911 and 718 buyers away from Porsche. The 911 has gotten out of reach for a lot of people.
I won't be a customer but not because I don't think it has value I've just never been a fan of modern vettes. Loved the old split window coupes but in recent years they seem to be trying to look to over the top.
I don't think Porsche has done everything right either. But the brand has worked for me and I still can't keep from turning around to look at as I walk away from parking.
Those that go the C8 route I'd love to hear your assessment of the car. I'm sure it won't be the hot mess most here are claiming.
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:37 AM
brainf18
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Doug H
Disappointing aesthetics. The C8 has that same cheap wanna be feel that the Feiro had way back when. Looks cheap and knock off ish,, like trying to be something it ain't. The view from the rear . . . Blows me away how poor American designers are.
Question - Have you actually sat in the new C8 or are you throwing shade without first hand knowledge b/c you just don't like it? All of the reviews from the automotive press have been extremely positive with regards to the quality, fit and finish to the entire car, including the interior. I get that the aesthetics might not be to everyone's liking but perhaps you should try to keep an open mind until you actually see it first hand?
The following 2 users liked this post by brainf18:
abarthguy (10-23-2019), JB43 (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:40 AM
jesper2
Intermediate

We’ve been living with a 992 cab for a month now. The gauges are fine. Visibility issues are no different than 991. You have to tilt your head to see the side gauges, but these have less important data on them so it’s a non-issue.

Originally Posted by detansinn
Eh, the 992 dash is fine. Obscured gauges are technically an homage to the older cars.
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:41 AM
jesper2
Intermediate

Amen. Same.

Originally Posted by carson2
After FINALLY picking up my car yesterday I was surprised that.......wait for it........I could see all five dials. The outer two were BARELY obscured, but for all the hype over this I don’t get it. At all. They’re fine!
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:42 AM
jesper2
Intermediate

Yep. We swapped cup holder for the cubby; it holds cups and bottles (or keys, garage fobs or phones) just fine. :-)

Originally Posted by detansinn
Yep. It’s like people being hypercritical of the cup holder. They latch on to a few reviewer comments without any firsthand experience of the car.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:44 AM
jesper2
Intermediate

Yes, but what’s on those dials? Coolant temp? Miles to empty? How often are you really checking those gauges. They were obscured on the 997 and 991, too. It’s not like you can’t see them, you just have to look “around” the steering wheel. Having owned the car for a month, I will say it’s a total non-issue.

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
I sat in the 992 and couldn't see all the gauges. It's a legitimate complaint for most. Depending on height and arm length, it's likely different for people. I would say for most folks, the outer dials will be blocked.

Last edited by jesper2; 10-20-2019 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jesper2:
detansinn (10-20-2019), n4v4nod (11-16-2019)
Old 10-20-2019 | 11:09 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I would think that GM doesn't think the 718 is the competition. They are looking to dethrone the 911.
I don't have any issues with the C8. It's looks like an honest attempt at really hitting the mark for a more moderately priced performance car. And I can see it drawing both 911 and 718 buyers away from Porsche. The 911 has gotten out of reach for a lot of people.
I won't be a customer but not because I don't think it has value I've just never been a fan of modern vettes. Loved the old split window coupes but in recent years they seem to be trying to look to over the top.
I don't think Porsche has done everything right either. But the brand has worked for me and I still can't keep from turning around to look at as I walk away from parking.
Those that go the C8 route I'd love to hear your assessment of the car. I'm sure it won't be the hot mess most here are claiming.
They may not think it or may not want to market it that way but the simple reality is the C8 as tested by motortrend was an under steering mess - watch the Matt Farah video and listen to it.

The problem with that video is clearly MF isn’t much chop round a track and because of that he was overdriving the most simple of corners and the C8 couldn’t handle it.

what a chook and yet was attempting to claim it was brilliant - oops

718 Spyder and GT4 are way better........other than if you like tire limited 0-60mph.
The following users liked this post:
brainf18 (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019 | 01:30 PM
brainf18
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groundhog
They may not think it or may not want to market it that way but the simple reality is the C8 as tested by motortrend was an under steering mess - watch the Matt Farah video and listen to it.

The problem with that video is clearly MF isn’t much chop round a track and because of that he was overdriving the most simple of corners and the C8 couldn’t handle it.

what a chook and yet was attempting to claim it was brilliant - oops

718 Spyder and GT4 are way better........other than if you like tire limited 0-60mph.
You're right...the two areas that the motoring press have consistently noted as needing improvement are "at the limit" mid corner understeer and somewhat vague brake-by-wire pedal feel. That being said, the cars that have been released for testing are "pre-production" press mules, not final production models. True production vehicles made "en-mass" won't begin until at least mid-January 2020. So if "understeer" and "brake feel" are the criticism-drums the automotive press are beating on, then I'd imagine GM would take the opportunity that the delays in production have afforded to address these issues. Fixing mid corner understeer isn't hard to do with a variety of simple suspension tuning techniques. The brake-by-wire system is likely just re-writing some code. Either way, the UAW strike has opened a window for these issues to get sorted before "production version" deliveries begin.

And...I think its important to keep things in perspective. This was GM's first attempt at a mid-engine sports car designed to rival the worlds best at a significantly lower cost. If all the automotive journalists can find are "faults" at 10/10ths driving, then I think GM did a pretty good job, all things considered. Also, its a safe assumption that the Corvette development team are reading the same reviews and comments the rest of us are. I'd be willing to bet quick improvement is on the way.

I'll finish by saying I'm a huge 911 fan. Love the cars and I've owned over a dozen different 911s. (The Cayman, 718 and esp the Boxster are cars for hairdressers) I'm also a patriotic guy who roots for the underdog and would love to see the C8 wipe the floor with Porsches and Ferraris... Nothing would please me more than to have an American company produce a product (right down the road from my home) that can beat the worlds best at their own game. Not taking away anything from the 911. Its a phenomenal sports car and "real" price and performance competition will only make them better.
Old 10-20-2019 | 01:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brainf18
(The Cayman, 718 and esp the Boxster are cars for hairdressers)
So what? It’s not like hairdressers would drag you out of a Boxster if they catch you driving one.
Old 10-20-2019 | 04:40 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Let's not be naive enough to think Chevy will "beat" the 911 at what it does best and has been: the most sports-oriented daily driveable sports car in existence.

That being said, they've come a long way. But the glaring shortcomings are obvious, even in the new C8. The transmission isn't up to PDK standard, build quality inferior, and far worse handling ("understeer"), and just as crucial - exclusivity.

The fact that the 911 is a childhood dream. There is a sense of pride of achievement that is important and meaningful in life. You'd be hard-pressed to deem the C8 in such regard.

No doubt we hope the C8 would transcend many barriers as would any true automotive enthusiast, but to expect it to be superior than the 911 by any solid measure reeks of sentimentalism.

Long story short, in this universe, you get what you pay for. This will always be the case.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test