Notices

Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 01:13 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Its pretty easy to make a car go fast in a straight line (see Hellcat) but to make a car go fast and turn and do all the other things well, like make it livable as a daily driver, have a compliant suspension for street driving, make it dependable, have a nice interior, etc. is not that easy.

In fact, it’s quite hard.
there is no substitute
Old 11-21-2019, 11:25 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

I’m interested to see if the C8.R will adopt the “squircle”
Old 11-22-2019, 12:39 PM
ljahearn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

"The LS is as rock solid as any engine out there."

Clearly spoken by someone that does not do their research. LS motors are famous for snapping their hollow valves. Read up on wheel issues on the X06 and GS - lawsuits in the works - GM can't even get the most basic part invented 5500 years ago right - why should we expect them to get the rest of the car right?

I did this year long 2018 debate of C7 GS vs GT350 vs NSX vs all the P cars, GTs included - and ended up w the 991 GT3. No regrets. The C8 won't change my perspective.

Wheel, pedals, seat of the pants, ears, driver's perspective while driving, all infotainment turned off - that's how I evaluate the experience. From there, it's the worry factor. As a child of the auto industry, I spent my time paying penance to the Ford gawds out of obligation. The best dealership repair experience is NO dealership repair experience, or at least as few as possible. The Vette has a well documented history of electronic gremlins, panel fit issues, service issues, and the C8 will be no different in that regard.

I was at an open lapping event last fall and a guy was there bragging about how solid his ZL1-1LE Camaro was. After 2 sessions, it left on a flat bed.

Applause to GM for putting the effort into the C8 and advancing engineering for a US-made mid-engine car, though it is not the car for me, and it sure as hell is not a Porsche replacement.
The following 2 users liked this post by ljahearn:
sexfiend (11-23-2019), TurboS_GG (11-22-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:06 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

900HP ZR1 Hybrid

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...rid-900hp/amp/
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (11-27-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 AM
JHesketh
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 108 Posts

https://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...rolet-corvette
The following 2 users liked this post by JHesketh:
detansinn (12-01-2019), jkautz (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 163 Posts

I don’t care how highly the C8 is reviewed, I swore off GM because of the dealership experience. It’s just horrible.

Crap loaners, long waits for appointments/parts/repairs. Dingy waiting areas full of zombies watching daytime TV at full volume.

Exactly the opposite of the 4 Porsche and 1 Audi dealership I’ve dealt with.

I refuse to allow “patriotism” to be a mitigating factor in customer service.
sexfiend (12-02-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

You get what you pay for . . .
Old 12-01-2019, 08:47 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1
I don’t care how highly the C8 is reviewed, I swore off GM because of the dealership experience. It’s just horrible.

Crap loaners, long waits for appointments/parts/repairs. Dingy waiting areas full of zombies watching daytime TV at full volume.

Exactly the opposite of the 4 Porsche and 1 Audi dealership I’ve dealt with.

I refuse to allow “patriotism” to be a mitigating factor in customer service.
I really hate to say this- the US auto industry is just one sustained oil price spike away from complete obliteration. The remaining products mostly rely on cheap fuel for them to be viable. Those fuel efficient cars remaining are not desirable and will not fare well to the Japanese, Korean and German competition. Cars like the Corvette, Camaro and Mustang just won't carry these companies through a stampede to fuel efficient cars. I would love someone to explain to me how GM, Ford and FCA can survive an oil crisis.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:48 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 827 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I really hate to say this- the US auto industry is just one sustained oil price spike away from complete obliteration. The remaining products mostly rely on cheap fuel for them to be viable. Those fuel efficient cars remaining are not desirable and will not fare well to the Japanese, Korean and German competition. Cars like the Corvette, Camaro and Mustang just won't carry these companies through a stampede to fuel efficient cars. I would love someone to explain to me how GM, Ford and FCA can survive an oil crisis.
For one thing, people don't buy very many US cars. But they buy a TON of US trucks and SUV's. The Ford F150 is the best selling vehicle in the world. I own a variation of it myself, a Ford Raptor and I wouldn't trade foreign SUV or truck.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

The big displacement pushrod motors aren’t that inefficient for their power rating. In fact, they’re sometimes more efficient than turbo motors half their displacement. The 455 hp 6.2L Camaro SS is EPA rated at 27 MPG highway, while the 450 hp 3.0L turbo 992 Carrera S is EPA rated at 23 MPG highway. The big pushrod motor isn’t any heavier than the 3.0T Porsche motor either.

Small turbo motors’ main benefit over big NA pushrod motors is circumventing stupid displacement taxes in markets like China, Brazil, and parts of Europe.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Same way they survived the last economic crunch. These companies, and their suppliers, are of strategic importance. They will not be allowed to fail.

They know it, too.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:11 AM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

yea the $hite dealer experience from GM zombies and dregs... and then you realize theres 5 billion c8's around you, lol i dont care if it costs 2 bucks and does 0-60 in 1seconds...there is no substitute and a GM ain't even close.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:08 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

theyre both good enough as sport cars that it comes down to personal preferences. to me, value is a large part of enjoying a car. it makes me feel good to get good value so no way do I spend twice the vette for a Porsche. the other is styling, and I love the look of the c8. so its hands down c8 over 911 for me. c8 or gt4 is much closer. I don't want another stick shift so that puts c8 in front again but might change if gt4 comes w pdk eventually. at 85k c8 vs 110 gt4 pdk its a close one. I do like targa top though...
Old 12-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Nice write up and video, but not exactly a glowing Randy Pobst, whom I know well, given his demeanor when he really likes something. Mid-corner understeer and snap high speed throttle oversteer . . . not a good combination. Randy can get pretty animated and you can tell when he is excited about something. Didn't detect any of that here.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...-track-review/
Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

If one wants a C8 they should get it. Everything we buy does not have to be justified by slamming some other competitive product just so we feel better about the purchase.
Was at our home in Naples Florida over Thanksgiving week. Took my son who was visiting to Naples Motor Sports which is a long time exotic dealer. Lots of amazing L, F, McL, P and other great cars inxlydung new Lotus vehicles. We oggled many different cars (I a McLaren fan and fence sitter) still think my TTS , all cleaned up, can sit with any of these cars and out perform most.
But if i were looking for something exotic looking and less $'s and fun to drive i would go to the Evora. What a hot little car. Sounds great and looked right at home with the F,L, and Mac cars. Going to have to drive one. But whete the C8 is messy looking to me, too many angles-trying too hard, the Evora is nicely balanced and exotic looking.
JMartinni (12-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test