Notices

Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't think where a car is made should even enter the discussion. Choose the car based on it's merits. That's not elitist, it's just good decision making... In fact, I'd say the opposite is true - calling out a car's origin is nationalist and not really pertinent to the quality of the product.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:19 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

LOL Corvette dealership and service is one reason I would NOT buy a corvette - no matter how good it is. Plus, the Corvette crowd isn't for me.

It's FINE to be elitist and have such mentality. It's the prime source of improvement, not people who are okay with being average, not even. Funny thing is without us 'elitists' there wouldn't even be the Corvette.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Haha, who talks that way and love the racist rant!!!!!

Funny stuff. I truly hope no o ectakes any of this stuff serious and would imagine a lot of the comments are toungue and check . . . and then some are thesaurus aided.

You do get what you pay for. No getting around that one and the Huraxan is a bad **** looking car.
I have no idea what you mean by “ love the racist rant”, maybe you can clarify

As mentioned, I’m a Porsche guy and have been since I could drive myself. The C8 isn’t going to change that.

As far as getting what you pay for, that’s a nice theory but branding and marketing have laid waste to any universal corollary between intrinsic value and the price paid.

There’s also no getting around the fact that aesthetics are subjective and to me the Huracan particualry in spider form is butt ugly from the side. But good that you like it. ,

I haven’t driven a C8 so I can’t speak with experience on it’s quality or performance maybe you have. That said based on the specs and reviews I feel safe in suggesting it may be the automotive bargain of the decade. And I’m also happy that an affordable midengine exotic was built by an American car company. To me that’s a plus, not something to be derided,
Old 11-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Underblu
Banned

Congratulating GM for building a great “American” car is not nationalist. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with that term or have a better understanding of context. Insinuating, that a person from whatever country is a “nationalist” for wanting to support their home grown businesses is a distortion of the meaning of the word. Following that logic, World Cup soccer must be nothing more than naked nationalism masquerading as sport.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big proponent of merit based selection so perhaps there we agree. That is why i said, deriding a car for where its made smacks of elitism not nationalism

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I don't think where a car is made should even enter the discussion. Choose the car based on it's merits. That's not elitist, it's just good decision making... In fact, I'd say the opposite is true - calling out a car's origin is nationalist and not really pertinent to the quality of the product.

Last edited by Underblu; 11-08-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:40 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend
LOL Corvette dealership and service is one reason I would NOT buy a corvette - no matter how good it is. Plus, the Corvette crowd isn't for me.

It's FINE to be elitist and have such mentality. It's the prime source of improvement, not people who are okay with being average, not even. Funny thing is without us 'elitists' there wouldn't even be the Corvette.
This is most likely why most people think people of wealth are sh$$heads.
The following users liked this post:
jkautz (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
This is most likely why most people think people of wealth are sh$$heads.
Yes, I'm so scared of what most people think. And I'm far from wealthy.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu

As mentioned, I’m a Porsche guy and have been since I could drive myself. The C8 isn’t going to change that.

As far as getting what you pay for, that’s a nice theory but branding and marketing have laid waste to any universal corollary between intrinsic value and the price paid.

There’s also no getting around the fact that aesthetics are subjective and to me the Huracan particualry in spider form is butt ugly from the side. But good that you like it. ,

I haven’t driven a C8 so I can’t speak with experience on it’s quality or performance maybe you have. That said based on the specs and reviews I feel safe in suggesting it may be the automotive bargain of the decade. And I’m also happy that an affordable midengine exotic was built by an American car company. To me that’s a plus, not something to be derided,
Haha, I bet you would have thunk the Fiero exotic back in the day. It was mid-engine and affordably priced.

Lol, yep those Huracans are butt fugly. Then again, some people think Cadillacs and Buicks look good, probably the same people that think Huracans are butt ugly and Corvettes are beautiful.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

You probably would think this garage belonging to my closest friend is butt ugly and prefer the C8 as well. Although I kind of liked the Miura Edition I had for a year or so, I tend to prefer the Huracan looks over the Aventador.

These are exotics. C8 is not exotic. It is the modern Fiero with an okay engine.

Last edited by Doug H; 11-09-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:38 PM
Underblu
Banned

I’m sorry my comments on the Lambo really got you panties in such a twist. It’s an opinion. In free countries people are allowed to express them even if they’re go against the current trend. Ans you know what, I’ll admit, the Huracan looks quite good in that picture. Maybe the black helps. I always liked the Huracan looks from the rear as it reminded a bit of the muira which imo is the prettiest Lambo ever made., but unfortunately form other angles it reminded me a skateboard jump.

As far as comparing the new C8 to a Fiero you’re just being ridiculous. I’m not sure it’s even worth me commenting on. But when you’re in your GT3RS and see the tail lights of the C8 ZR1 that just passed you, you can comment to yourself about that speedy Fiero.

Funny thing is, I don’t particularly care for the C8s styling that I’ve seen in the pictures. But it does have that generic midengine exotic look that a few other far pricier cars have as well. Again this all subjective.

And for the record I’d buy GT3RS before C8 ZR1. i don’t particularly even like Corvettes. My only point on this goddamn thread is to salute the boys and girls over at GM for building what by most accounts is an extremely capable sports car at a bargain price. The fact that it’s an NA, midengine design with performance specs equaling cars that are triple the cost Is a fact not an opinion. That’s my only point. And yeah it irks me to see the Vette derided as some redneck Ferrari. I think its unfortunate some people have to go there. Maybe you don’t.

Haha, I bet you would have thunk the Fiero exotic back in the day. It was mid-engine and affordably priced.

Lol, yep those Huracans are butt fugly. Then again, some people think Cadillacs and Buicks look good, probably the same people that think Huracans are butt ugly and Corvettes are beautiful.

RudyP (11-15-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:26 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,144 Likes on 3,010 Posts

The Huracan is a fine looking car and in the later model years, handling substantially improved -- best handling Lamborghini ever, though, admittedly, the bar is low. I haven't driven an Evo yet, but it's supposed to be even better.

Last edited by detansinn; 11-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Congratulating GM for building a great “American” car is not nationalist. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with that term or have a better understanding of context. Insinuating, that a person from whatever country is a “nationalist” for wanting to support their home grown businesses is a distortion of the meaning of the word. Following that logic, World Cup soccer must be nothing more than naked nationalism masquerading as sport.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big proponent of merit based selection so perhaps there we agree. That is why i said, deriding a car for where its made smacks of elitism not nationalism
You said the vette was "proudly American". The definition of nationalism I was using was pretty much: "identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations." By and large, I don't think nationalism is a good thing - it's just one way of defining "we", and often exploited.

The way I interpreted your comment was that the fact that the car is American should somehow make it more attractive as a purchase. In rereading, perhaps that's not the case - I suppose "proudly American" could be construed as either a positive or negative, in which case it wouldn't be nationalism.

Either way, I apologize for taking this thread off track and don't mean to make it political/philosophical discussion since those rarely end up well on the internet. I think we actually agree on the overall picture, this was just a matter of semantics.
Underblu (11-09-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Thinc2
You said the vette was "proudly American". The definition of nationalism I was using was pretty much: "identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations." By and large, I don't think nationalism is a good thing - it's just one way of defining "we", and often exploited.

The way I interpreted your comment was that the fact that the car is American should somehow make it more attractive as a purchase. In rereading, perhaps that's not the case - I suppose "proudly American" could be construed as either a positive or negative, in which case it wouldn't be nationalism.

Either way, I apologize for taking this thread off track and don't mean to make it political/philosophical discussion since those rarely end up well on the internet. I think we actually agree on the overall picture, this was just a matter of semantics.
Lol, don’t apologize. This is all in good humor.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I’m sorry my comments on the Lambo really got you panties in such a twist. It’s an opinion. In free countries people are allowed to express them even if they’re go against the current trend. Ans you know what, I’ll admit, the Huracan looks quite good in that picture. Maybe the black helps. I always liked the Huracan looks from the rear as it reminded a bit of the muira which imo is the prettiest Lambo ever made., but unfortunately form other angles it reminded me a skateboard jump.

As far as comparing the new C8 to a Fiero you’re just being ridiculous. I’m not sure it’s even worth me commenting on. But when you’re in your GT3RS and see the tail lights of the C8 ZR1 that just passed you, you can comment to yourself about that speedy Fiero.

Funny thing is, I don’t particularly care for the C8s styling that I’ve seen in the pictures. But it does have that generic midengine exotic look that a few other far pricier cars have as well. Again this all subjective.

And for the record I’d buy GT3RS before C8 ZR1. i don’t particularly even like Corvettes. My only point on this goddamn thread is to salute the boys and girls over at GM for building what by most accounts is an extremely capable sports car at a bargain price. The fact that it’s an NA, midengine design with performance specs equaling cars that are triple the cost Is a fact not an opinion. That’s my only point. And yeah it irks me to see the Vette derided as some redneck Ferrari. I think its unfortunate some people have to go there. Maybe you don’t.
Lol.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:19 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Lol.
Why LOL?

You can't acknowledge that the Chev team did a great job with the C8?
brainf18 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-10-2019, 12:21 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

No matter what the C8 does.... It's STILL JUST A CORVETTE!!

911 for me please.

TurboS_GG (11-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test