Notices

Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 08:53 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,409 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
Thanks for posting that second video. That channel seems to be very underrated BTW - I like the amount of detail they provide.

Seems like the standard C8, even with the Z51 package, is more of a grand tourer. The continued commentary about superior ride quality makes me wonder whether the spring rates and damping are the primary issue. In my mind, that would mean it's more a Mclaren 570 than a 600LT. It looks Mclaren would provide a better track car from their road-focused product, but then again you're paying astronomically more. Perhaps the standard R8 is a good comparison of a mid-engine, but road focused car. Again, you're paying significantly more for the same type of experience.

I guess I'm just surprised that GM has decided to go this refined and soft. If they are targeting the bulk of their market, it makes me call into question my understanding of the typical Corvette owner.
Yeah, TH & SG are the best IMO. I’ve been hounding them to do a 992, but they said it hasn’t been offered to them yet lol

Last edited by smiles11; 08-03-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:00 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'm sure some people do, but is cross shopping a Corvette and a 911 really a thing? The cars are so different in so many ways.

The performance/price on the C8 is off the charts. No one ever accused Porsche of being a high value. But the C8 is ugly and you have to buy and service them at a Chevy dealer. And the whole Corvette culture is not for me.

Don't get me wrong - I'm cheering on anyone willing to make a decent ICE sports car in this day and age. But I just don't see a lot of people who want to buy a 911 end up with a C8.

Now a Cayman? Maybe...that's a more interesting comparison.
why? It already beat the Cayman's big brother in this comparison .....although the Cayman would be better comparison for the mid engine aspect of better handling and price.

Never was a Vette guy, but there is no denying that they are the hottest car to come to market in quite some time and not too many people consider them ugly.....

My buddy has a 458 and posted this on his IG the other day and the C8 more than holds it own in the looks dept imo and the 458 is one of my all time favorites

Old 08-04-2020, 03:34 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
If one wants a C8 they should get it. Everything we buy does not have to be justified by slamming some other competitive product just so we feel better about the purchase.
Was at our home in Naples Florida over Thanksgiving week. Took my son who was visiting to Naples Motor Sports which is a long time exotic dealer. Lots of amazing L, F, McL, P and other great cars inxlydung new Lotus vehicles. We oggled many different cars (I a McLaren fan and fence sitter) still think my TTS , all cleaned up, can sit with any of these cars and out perform most.
But if i were looking for something exotic looking and less $'s and fun to drive i would go to the Evora. What a hot little car. Sounds great and looked right at home with the F,L, and Mac cars. Going to have to drive one. But whete the C8 is messy looking to me, too many angles-trying too hard, the Evora is nicely balanced and exotic looking.
Just shows how much looks are subjective....I don't think the Evora belongs in the same neighborhood in the looks dept of the C8

and with a base price of almost $40,000 less than the Evora, the C8 kills it

The following users liked this post:
JB43 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:54 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

For me, the design is trying way too hard. To my eyes, it looks like a study in geometry rather than an integrated classic design pulling from the car’s heritage. It is if the designers were school children trying to conceive a new “Countach“ with protractors.

I was so excited when I saw these concepts below. These are beautiful and would have interested me.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:11 AM
mr gregash
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
why? It already beat the Cayman's big brother in this comparison .....although the Cayman would be better comparison for the mid engine aspect of better handling and price.

Never was a Vette guy, but there is no denying that they are the hottest car to come to market in quite some time and not too many people consider them ugly.....

My buddy has a 458 and posted this on his IG the other day and the C8 more than holds it own in the looks dept imo and the 458 is one of my all time favorites

This may be an unpopular opinion, but both are pretty bad looking cars. I was never a fan of the 458 looks, and the C8 is just too much of a hodgepodge or parts and looks. The performance for the dollar at MSRP is fantastic, but I see people asking 120k for an 85k stickier C8 and IMO at that price point, a GT4, Spyder, or various new and used 911s are better options.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:25 AM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX

The picture depicts the only tolerable viewing angle of the C8 IMO. Can't argue the performance bargain, but it looks like a bargain too.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:34 AM
CheeseHeadNinja
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the rear of the C7 back when it was revealed and now I really like it (and I own one).

Now I hate the C8 rear styling... Maybe it will grow on me.

Performance wise the C8 is incredible for the price, no denying.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:47 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseHeadNinja
I hated the rear of the C7 back when it was revealed and now I really like it (and I own one).

Now I hate the C8 rear styling... Maybe it will grow on me.

Performance wise the C8 is incredible for the price, no denying.
Strong opinions either way are a good thing. The only thing I don’t care for on the new Vette is wheel/tire size. But that’s not too hard to change.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test