Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 10:12 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Yes, let's.

Yet this is all anyone’s got when it comes to barely consistent 991 fit/finish issues. A door card glitch that was handled by dealers as a goodwill fix for any 991. Mine didn’t even warp and they changed it to be sure.

the C8’s inherent and trim panel gaps are so drastic that in a 911 you’d consider it a warranty item.

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^^Have you seen a cut away of the C8 - it uses a bolt together construction method - this will not last. Also, the types of steels in the main components are quite different. Go and put a custom built cage into a modern Porsche - you will always get the same feedback e.g. built like tanks (due to the use a very high qaulity steels in key structural members).
Exactly. And look no further than the C8’s lousy 15K torsional rigidity figure. Worse than a 2014 Chevy Cruz and about any other car you can buy today. Sure, it has a targa top, but that “excuse” isn’t valid when you’re forced with said top, no hardtop option, and stuck with all the extra eight it brings to boot.

The 992’s torsional rigidity is over 42K as the 991’s was already over 40K in itself.

Talking other planets here when it comes to structural integrity. Aside from all the bolts, the C8s floor pan is partially plastic. Don’t have to look too deep to find where the “value” comes from.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 PM
brainf18
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Exactly. And look no further than the C8’s lousy 15K torsional rigidity figure. Worse than a 2014 Chevy Cruz and about any other car you can buy today.m.

can you cite your source for this data?
Old 10-22-2019, 10:55 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

Originally Posted by brainf18
can you cite your source for this data?
I don't think c8 torsional rigidity data is available. GM press release had stated a 19% increase in torsional rigidity compared to C7. Published rigidity on the c7 is 14.5k Nm/deg.

http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/...ehensive-list/

C8 is a Targa, so the 991 Targa is a better comparison. A 991 Cab is about 12k.

For a street driven car, one can argue these numbers are not meaningful above a certain level of rigidity.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:15 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I don't think c8 torsional rigidity data is available. GM press release had stated a 19% increase in torsional rigidity compared to C7. Published rigidity on the c7 is 14.5k Nm/deg.

http://youwheel.com/home/2016/06/20/...ehensive-list/

C8 is a Targa, so the 991 Targa is a better comparison. A 991 Cab is about 12k.

For a street driven car, one can argue these numbers are not meaningful above a certain level of rigidity.
Yes but thats still a long way from a Cayman, Boxster, Carrera Coupe, GT Car - torsional rigidity is a key component on allowing the suspension to work effectively.

I think it was Matt Farah that was comparing the C8 to a Ferrari or McLaren and yet it won't even be close. Although I did note Motortrend tried to spin it using its Figure 8 test results - which reflect a combination of power and handling.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020...-amazing-cars/

For perspective the 718 Spyder does it .3s quicker than the C8 Z06 and current benchmark mid-engined cars are 1s or more quicker.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-23-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes but thats still a long way from a Cayman, Boxster, Carrera Coupe, GT Car - torsional rigidity is a key component on allowing the suspension to work effectively.

I think it was Matt Farah that was comparing the C8 to a Ferrari or McLaren and yet it won't even be close. Although I did note Motortrend tried to spin it using its Figure 8 test results - which reflect a combination of power and handling.

For perspective the 718 Spyder does it .3s quicker than the C8 Z06 and current benchmark mid-engined cars are 1s or more quicker.
Not to mention, all C8 reviewers are regurgitating the exact same talking point sound bites in how they describe the car. Clearly GM is on a $$$$pending spree to award this car “victories” it doesn’t deserve. “Car of the year” no doubt will be one, when it clearly is not. This thing is no “Ferrari and Lamborghini” league to say the least, despite reviewers parroting that corporate fed line.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:39 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by K-A
Not to mention, all C8 reviewers are regurgitating the exact same talking point sound bites in how they describe the car. Clearly GM is on a $$$$pending spree to award this car “victories” it doesn’t deserve. “Car of the year” no doubt will be one, when it clearly is not. This thing is no “Ferrari and Lamborghini” league to say the least, despite reviewers parroting that corporate fed line.
Yes I noticed that too - its a shame because there is a lot to like about the C8 - they will no doubt improve on it. I guess from my perspective I would have thought they could have done a little bit more to get it right out of the box. Also - the pre-production car wasn't a pre-production model. It had a VIN albeit an early one.

I can only think it represents a series of compromises forced by a largely predefined price point. If it you judge it soley through those optics then its good but not great which is pretty much where Jason Cammisa landed in his review.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

The point is that the TR numbers, to be fairly compared, would need to be with a true Corvette coupe and not a Targa. I’m assuming the z06/ZR-1 will be fixed roof coupes. Those numbers should be much better.

Originally Posted by K-A
No question about that. American car “journalism” is the worst. They are mostly mouthpieces for car companies. Motor Trend Car of the Year awards, in particular, are totally useless.

Remember this one?

Old 10-23-2019, 08:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Good one - its even brown, seems appropriate for the car in the photo Thankfully the C8 is in a much better company.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-23-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I don't pass judgement on anyone who is interested in the C8. It will be a great value performance car. It will also push those above, Porsche included, to stay on their and raise it.
Too many brands think once they are at the top it's ok to enjoy the euphoria. Not the case as you have to run every day like the devil himself is chasing you. Cars like this make every other brand better. Seeing buyers jump ship or look at vehicles that they may never had before is sobering for premium brands and keeps them awake.
To those that take the C8 plunge, good luck and enjoy the new ride.
The following users liked this post:
G650 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:46 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,035 Likes on 5,243 Posts

It’s a sub 100k mid engine GT.

Thats all it is.

It’s not a Lamborghini.

It’s not a Ferrari.

Its not a Porsche.

Comparing the C8 to any of those cars does a disservice to both the C8 and the Lambos, F cars and Porsche’s.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:43 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Thats all it is.

It’s not a Lamborghini.

It’s not a Ferrari.

Its not a Porsche.

Comparing the C8 to any of those cars does a disservice to both the C8 and the Lambos, F cars and Porsche’s.

True - however thats what the motoring journos are doing.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:39 AM
992Sam
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 460 Posts

Old 10-23-2019, 12:58 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,183 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Wake me up when the Chevrolet delivers a Corvette street car with the high revving DOHC flat plane crank V8 of C8R. It sounds and revs like a Ferrari, which also uses a flat plane crank V8 and revs to the sky.
The low revving lazy V8 of the base model C8 car just isn't delivering the "goods" yet.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Thats all it is.

It’s not a Lamborghini.

It’s not a Ferrari.

Its not a Porsche.

Yes - and the taycan shouldn't be compared to the Tesla.

But have you ever visited the "Existential Thread" in the Taycan forum - it's a major trainwreck

So yes, ideally cars that are in different price points and offer quite different customer experiences shouldn't be compared, but as stated, headlines are what sells, so that's what we get.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:36 PM
Johnny Five
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 195 Posts

992 Carerra S is running 0-60 in 2.9? Very impressive. Isn’t that the same 0-60 time as a .2 GT3RS? Can someone explain how Porsche did this with more weight and less HP?

I’m guessing it’s from the extra torque from the turbos compared to RS’ lower torque figure?
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (10-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Motor Trend - C8 vs 911 comparison test