Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 12:10 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
...I'm happy that GM has built an outstanding performance car that many can afford.
At what price though? $85K? $90K.. The cheapest allocation I've heard of for the C8 was $73K.

Also the Shelby GT350 and 350R keep scoring RAVE real world reviews. Where they actually get driven by someone and owners share their experiences over time.
N' now the GT500 has been officially revealed, auto journo's are driving it AND writing about it. Again pretty much RAVE reviews.
Odd these ~4Klbs front engine cars have no built in under-steer. Hmmmm..?
Old 11-01-2019, 01:04 PM
TtimeS
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
At what price though? $85K? $90K.. The cheapest allocation I've heard of for the C8 was $73K.

Also the Shelby GT350 and 350R keep scoring RAVE real world reviews. Where they actually get driven by someone and owners share their experiences over time.
N' now the GT500 has been officially revealed, auto journo's are driving it AND writing about it. Again pretty much RAVE reviews.
Odd these ~4Klbs front engine cars have no built in under-steer. Hmmmm..?
At what price?!! You basically need the Z51 package after that it’s all bells and whistles, common it’s a Porsche forum, of all places this place should know about add ons and bells and whistles! The 350 is great and has been in development for what 5 years now so I’m not surprised, and so far looks like the 500 is going to be great as well. Typically front engine rwd cars won’t understeer. Give the C8 a bit more time all test were preproduction cars and final calibration is still being worked on. I’m betting they heard the understeer complaint and will alter that.
The following users liked this post:
JB43 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:29 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Originally Posted by TtimeS
At what price?!! You basically need the Z51 package after that it’s all bells and whistles,
Agreed. That was the point I was trying to make (executed poorly).

The only C8 that's gonna be worth a damn ain't gonna be THAT cheap.
N' its highly likely the Z06 will be just north of $100K and the ZR1 about $150K. Personally, I'd rather spend that kind of money on a slightly used Porsche.

I think a lot of these early Gen1 C8's are destined to be Track beaters.
I've been thinking the same thing about the 718 Caymans.. but as it turns out so are a lot of other people and for that reason prices aren't falling as quickly as expected.
Future Track Days will be filled with early C8's and 718 Caymans.

The 350 is great and has been in development for what 5 years now so I’m not surprised, and so far looks like the 500 is going to be great as well. Typically front engine rwd cars won’t understeer.
The C8 has been in development for a long time too. YEARS ago when I was researching the C7 Grandsport, kept hearing about the C8 in dev...just over the horizon.. reveal dates came and went.

If price is your major benchmark, then you have to check into the GT350. Solid rave reviews withstanding the test of time. Destined to be a keeper performance car.
N' the sound of that flat plane crank, oh my!! No handling problems to speak of.

Give the C8 a bit more time all test were preproduction cars and final calibration is still being worked on. I’m betting they heard the understeer complaint and will alter that.
Yes the C8 needs more time. Happy to sit on the sidelines to wait, watch and see.
Yeah that understeer issue is just goofy in a mid-engine car. They really have to get that resolved.
N' the exhaust note.. sound sucks so bad. Fix that too. Needs to be pitched up an octave or two.

Good news so far:
  • The Strike is over ..C8 production should swing back into high gear.
  • Still no bad words about the Tremec DCT.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:28 PM
dovecom
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The C8 competes with the Cayman. The ZO6 will compete with the 911, the ZR1 with the GT2RS. The Cayman interior is cheap. It’s ugly now and sounds awful. C8 wins I think. The 911 vs ZO6 will be interesting.
The following 4 users liked this post by dovecom:
95spiderman (11-02-2019), CaymanCarver (11-04-2019), JB43 (11-27-2019), MXA121 (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 01:56 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Whatever you think about the current 718's, at least their tires don't squeal around corners like the C8. It appears the handling for the new Corvette which is heavy on under-steer was designed by the GM legal department.
CaymanCarver (11-04-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 02:56 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

It's amazing the concern of understeer on here and the weight placed on the performance of a Z51 car, as if this is a track car first. Clearly it is tuned to be focused on ride comfort and safe handling, a Grand Touring sports car. (Honestly perfect target for most Porsche buyers) I agree on points of "feel" vs the 992 S, that's where Porsche shines and we all need to drive to decide.

Maybe the C8 will never corner well.. I'm not too interested in the base car, but I'm sitting here waiting on the C8 Z06 - very exciting. If it follows C7 > C8 pricing, it will be $100k with Z07 pack (carbon ceramics, aero, etc). A high revving NA v8 is rumored. It's going to be a tough choice for track nuts in 2020.

The weight and size vs a Porsche is the tough pill to swallow. I enjoy the nimble size of the cayman on the street. On track is a different story.

Cheers!
CaymanCarver (11-04-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 03:10 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by MXA121
It's amazing the concern of understeer on here
A little understeer that's slightly off perfect balance is one thing, but understeer to the degree that the car sounds like a Ford Galaxy in a Manix car chase scene is another. The tire squeal on the videos online so far are a deal killer for me and I'd be embarrassed if I was one of the car's designers.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
CaymanCarver (11-04-2019), Noah Fect (11-10-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 03:25 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
A little understeer that's slightly off perfect balance is one things, but understeer to the degree that the car sounds like a Ford Galaxy in a Manix car chase scene is another. The tire squeal on the videos online so far are a deal killer for me and I'd be embarrassed if I was one of the car's designers.
A car that is at least as quick as a C7 around track and barely slower than a 992 S - yet inflammatory response to understeer. Seems ridiculous, no?
JB43 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 04:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dovecom
The C8 competes with the Cayman. The ZO6 will compete with the 911, the ZR1 with the GT2RS. The Cayman interior is cheap. It’s ugly now and sounds awful. C8 wins I think. The 911 vs ZO6 will be interesting.
It does in price but not performance. From a performance perspective, the C8 competes with a 992S. The Porsche dealer closest to me has four 992Ss on their lot priced in the $141 - $145K range. It will be interesting to see how well the 992S sells. Just wonder how much of a premium sports car buyers will be willing to pay for that Porsche logo.
JB43 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

It does in price but not performance. From a performance perspective, the C8 competes with a 992S. The Porsche dealer closest to me has four 992Ss on their lot priced in the $141 - $145K range. It will be interesting to see how well the 992S sells. Just wonder how much of a premium sports car buyers will be willing to pay for that Porsche logo.
The signals so far are contradictory. Porsche has kicked the 718s back to Osnabrueck, supposedly because they need the capacity in Zuffenhausen for the 992. Meanwhile, even in California, people are reporting getting discounts on 992s in the 5% neighborhood. So if you go to your Porsche dealer, you get a discount, but if you go to your Chevy dealer, you pay ADM.

Nothing about the market makes sense, at least so far. Too soon to draw any conclusions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
CaymanCarver (11-04-2019), JB43 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 08:41 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The signals so far are contradictory. Porsche has kicked the 718s back to Osnabrueck, supposedly because they need the capacity in Zuffenhausen for the 992. Meanwhile, even in California, people are reporting getting discounts on 992s in the 5% neighborhood. So if you go to your Porsche dealer, you get a discount, but if you go to your Chevy dealer, you pay ADM.

Nothing about the market makes sense, at least so far. Too soon to draw any conclusions.
Small Chevy dealers that will be fortunate to get one or two C8s will no doubt have a hefty ADM. These dealers probably don't even care about selling the C8, and will have it on their showroom floor to generate additional foot traffic. Many Toyota dealers are doing the same thing with the Supra. A Toyota dealer near me has a $15K ADM on their Supra, and that for a car which I've heard isn't selling well. OTOH their are numerous high volume Corvette dealers that are selling at MSRP. The Corvette forum has a sticky thread which lists those dealers, and they are numerous. From what I've read most of these dealers 2020 allotments are already taken, so if someone wants a 2020 C8 they may have to buy fom a small dealer and pay an ADM.

As far a Porsche is concerned , I have no interest in the 992. It's just too big and heavy, and I have always preferred NA engines. As a matter of fact no new cars interest me, be it an Audi, BMW, MB or Porsche. The 992 is the best of the lot, but I'm not about to pay $145K for a car that doesn't excite me. Over the decades I have always bought new cars, but the next car I buy may be a used one, possibly a GT3RS if the prices ever become reasonable.
JB43 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:04 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Originally Posted by dovecom
Interesting how these comparo's have evolved since the lifting of the Press Embargo.
Go back to the beginnings of this thread and the new C8 was supposed to be a killer for Ferrari / Lambo / Porsche / McLaren / every car.
I sincerely hope the C8 can best the Cayman in a straight line. But on a road course.. its not lookin' so good.

No mention of the GT4 in there.. hmmmm?
I predict the GT4 is going to make a new name for itself as The C8 Killer.

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Whatever you think about the current 718's, at least their tires don't squeal around corners like the C8. It appears the handling for the new Corvette which is heavy on under-steer was designed by the GM legal department.
Maybe the C8 was intended to be a drift car.
I have heard similar reports about the lawyers being heavily involved in the understeer issue.
There has to be something fundamentally wrong for a mid-engine car to have such an issue.

From a performance perspective, the C8 competes with a 992S. The Porsche dealer closest to me has four 992Ss on their lot priced in the $141 - $145K range. It will be interesting to see how well the 992S sells. Just wonder how much of a premium sports car buyers will be willing to pay for that Porsche logo.
As more time goes by, more real world reviews come out and people can actually sit in the C8 and judge for themselves..I think in 2020 a slightly used 992S will compete well with a well equipped C8.

Small Chevy dealers that will be fortunate to get one or two C8s will no doubt have a hefty ADM. These dealers probably don't even care about selling the C8, and will have it on their showroom floor to generate additional foot traffic. Many Toyota dealers are doing the same thing with the Supra. A Toyota dealer near me has a $15K ADM on their Supra, and that for a car which I've heard isn't selling well. OTOH their are numerous high volume Corvette dealers that are selling at MSRP. The Corvette forum has a sticky thread which lists those dealers, and they are numerous. From what I've read most of these dealers 2020 allotments are already taken, so if someone wants a 2020 C8 they may have to buy fom a small dealer and pay an ADM.
Ya think? I dunno.
I think interest in these Gen1 C8's (beyond the Vette fan boys) has already collapsed to a low-thud.
How much do you think a slightly used 2020 C8 will go for in 2022, when the other variants are available and there's 100K 200K of them on the road in circulation?

The Supra is pretty much dead.. can't sell 'em at auction and the exotic rental agency's are dumping them cuz nobody wants to rent one.
Toyota has a real turkey on their hands.

...but the next car I buy may be a used one, possibly a GT3RS if the prices ever become reasonable.
I think that's the way to do it.

The GT4 is on my list.. there's a number of rave reviews from prior GT3RS owners that switched to the GT4.
A slightly used CPO GT4 is in my future.

Last edited by CaymanCarver; 11-05-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Alan C. (03-06-2020)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 AM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

why get a used gt4 when it will be same cost as a new one? might as well order your own since price doesn't really go down and you don't have to worry about previous owner abusing it on track. and you know it will have been tracked.

and c8 being supercar killer is talking about the soon to come zo6, zr1, not base car. I still think base is way better than 718 with its 4 cyl and z51 compares favorable to 992 at half price
JB43 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

A bunch of folks here with HUGE chips on their shoulders. I think the new C8 Corvette is nice looking and performs well, especially at it's price point. I am interested to see one in the flesh, and see how it drives. Could be a very fun addition to the fleet.
The following 3 users liked this post by JustBud:
CaymanCarver (11-05-2019), JB43 (11-27-2019), kamlung (11-13-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 02:15 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

C8 and Cayman will not be track competitors. Even the C7 Grandsport bests the Cayman on track, and that goes for 981, 718, and 981 GT4. Of course, the C8 is even faster, so the 718 GT4 will most likely be slower than the C8 as well.

There are valid arguments to preferring a Cayman over a C8, but they are subjective. Sound, feel, ease of driving, luxury, etc.. On laptimes, it's going to be the C8.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZWCat:
2slow2speed (11-04-2019), JB43 (11-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?