Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

GM workers on strike now huh. You couldn't fictionalize a messier and more scandal prone company if you tried.

Guess that may explain why the C8 still hasn't been DRIVEN by a journalist, lmao. Also may explain why they don't have the manpower to align to simple pieces of rubber trim along the doors.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 AM
HooosierDaddy
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
GM workers on strike now huh. You couldn't fictionalize a messier and more scandal prone company if you tried.

Guess that may explain why the C8 still hasn't been DRIVEN by a journalist, lmao. Also may explain why they don't have the manpower to align to simple pieces of rubber trim along the doors.
Unfortunately the UAW has been, is and probably always will be corrupt! I'm sure GM is no Saint either, but show me a big corp that doesn't have dirty secrets or play a little dirty. Not making excuses... just pointing that out.

We should have seen driver reviews and articles outside of the "It's finally here" fluff pieces in every magazine by now. Something is off with the way this car is playing out right now. I'm sure the C8 will perform, but IMO it just doesn't look right. In time it may grow on me, but that means I'll have to come to terms with a car that has a pickup truck height & width rear end.

The door trim, perhaps this is the piece you are mentioning? I actually took that picture when I was at LesStanford Chevrolet.
Should it have been fixed it before putting it out on the floor? Absolutely! However; I don't believe this was a flaw with the car, but more of an accident/damage that happened during an event or loading and unloading. The real flaw is in the decision to allow a half-*** patch to be presented to the public... because some guy like me will come along and take a picture of it!

CaymanCarver (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 AM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

The horror...
The horror...
Old 09-17-2019, 12:05 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
New to the business, I take it? Press embargoes are standard procedure across all major manufacturers including Porsche. The idea is to keep from appearing to favor one publication over another, and to give the journalists time to write reasonable articles without competing to see who can publish the lamest crap first.
Ya know, I would say I'm not entirely "new to the business". I'm certainly no auto industry historian by any stretch.

I'll focus on a particular car and then I'll spend 7 to 9 months researching the living crap out of it before giving it a "Pass, no thanks" or actually buying one.
The order of my research has been:

Vipers in general > GenIV Viper > C7 Corvette in general > C7 Grandsport > c8 Corvette (this one didn't take too much time) > Porsche Cayman > 987.2 Cayman > 981 Cayman

I guess press embargoes are an unspoken reality, cuz I've never heard any mention of one in all of my research.. or ever for that matter.

I think I'd be hard pressed to find evidence of a press embargo after the fact of the BIG REVEAL.

After the big reveal, you'd expect the manufacturer to want everyone in the world to experience the car and write about it. (like the Taycan).

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
We should have seen driver reviews and articles outside of the "It's finally here" fluff pieces in every magazine by now. Something is off with the way this car is playing out right now. I'm sure the C8 will perform, but IMO it just doesn't look right. In time it may grow on me, but that means I'll have to come to terms with a car that has a pickup truck height & width rear end.

The door trim, perhaps this is the piece you are mentioning? I actually took that picture when I was at LesStanford Chevrolet.
Should it have been fixed it before putting it out on the floor? Absolutely! However; I don't believe this was a flaw with the car, but more of an accident/damage that happened during an event or loading and unloading. The real flaw is in the decision to allow a half-*** patch to be presented to the public... because some guy like me will come along and take a picture of it!
Amen to that! Reminiscent of issues with the C7.. brand new right out of the factory.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Porsche has no room to talk when it comes to that kind of thing. Ask the guy who got a $6000 quote from his dealer for replacing his warped door panels.

Re: delays in getting the C8 into journalists' and owners' hands -- I much prefer that approach to GM's usual approach, which is to rush the car to market and let the customers sort it out. They can hype it up all they want. If it's a good car, nobody will remember the delays and hand-waving and excuses. If it's a POS, everything including the launch hiccups will be held against them.

The best strategy when funding isn't an issue -- which it isn't here -- is always to take it slow and get it right the first time. That seems to be what they're doing. I'm fine with that.
The following 3 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
GT3FZS (09-18-2019), HooosierDaddy (09-17-2019), LnC993 (09-19-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Only proof I can see that shows someone actually testing it.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/how-...orvette-video/
Old 09-18-2019, 12:47 PM
K-A
Drifting

Unfortunately the UAW has been, is and probably always will be corrupt! I'm sure GM is no Saint either, but show me a big corp that doesn't have dirty secrets or play a little dirty. Not making excuses... just pointing that out.

Actually I wasn’t even talking about that. I was talking about the horrible fit and finish in how those rubber pieces align along the side of the car. It all looks disjointed and like a person (err, robot) with a blindfold put them on. What you showed is another quality control example future C8 owners will likely look forward to. Hopefully GM will put out a tsb to allow for a replacement like Porsche did with the door panels.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:27 PM
993Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

And here is the type of customer service you might expect with your new Corvette.

New GS Will Not Start

I think someone in this thread stated that the dealers are the worst part of the ownership experience. Based on my experience, I tend to agree.

I may well pick up a C8 at some point, I like Corvettes. Dealing with Mr. Goodwrench, not so much
Old 09-20-2019, 09:43 PM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Actually I wasn’t even talking about that. I was talking about the horrible fit and finish in how those rubber pieces align along the side of the car. It all looks disjointed and like a person (err, robot) with a blindfold put them on. What you showed is another quality control example future C8 owners will likely look forward to. Hopefully GM will put out a tsb to allow for a replacement like Porsche did with the door panels.
Seriously these are early pre production cars that have been pulled and yanked on hundreds of times. I doubt GM will release cars that can't withstand normal wear and tear.
HooosierDaddy (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 06:14 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by handful
Seriously these are early pre production cars that have been pulled and yanked on hundreds of times. I doubt GM will release cars that can't withstand normal wear and tear.
Have you ever seen a GM car, namely a Vette? Horrible fit and finish is sort of their M.O. And no, it's not because they've been "pulled and yanked on hundreds of times." All cars have that and don't show the horrible fit and finish seen here.

Originally Posted by K-A

CaymanCarver (09-23-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Yeah, just look at that quality. GM should be ashamed of themselves. Oh, wait...

Name:  vw78fr4.png
Views: 20
Size:  428.2 KB
GT3FZS (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Yeah, just look at that quality. GM should be ashamed of themselves. Oh, wait...

Defect I had replaced for free before it even showed up as a problem. Has nothing to do with trim or panel alignment.

Different from fundamental panel gaps and misalignments that are built into the design of a car, such as the C8. Every single one I’ve seen pictures of has rubber trim that doesn’t line up, haphazard panel and trim alignment, etc. AND on top of that it appears to share the same defect where interior door card becomes unglued/deformed.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:16 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Defect I had replaced for free before it even showed up as a problem. Has nothing to do with trim or panel alignment.

Different from fundamental panel gaps and misalignments that are built into the design of a car, such as the C8. Every single one I’ve seen pictures of has rubber trim that doesn’t line up, haphazard panel and trim alignment, etc. AND on top of that it appears to share the same defect where interior door card becomes unglued/deformed.
LOL Didn't think any manufacturer built misalignments into the design of their car. You can learn a lot on forums.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:50 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by fast1
LOL Didn't think any manufacturer built misalignments into the design of their car. You can learn a lot on forums.
Go check out a GM lot sometime. Hard to call it a “defect” when it’s simply a common build quality “trait.”
Old 09-29-2019, 03:03 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Everyone was going nuts over the Tesla model 3 "panel gaps" and when I checked out about two dozen at a dealer (showroom whatever they're called) I didn't see a single example. That doesn't mean there aren't any examples; I've seen pics of some so they do exist. The point is you'll never see a pic of one along with each and every pic that isn't one. The bad examples get 99% of the press.

When one looks at the performance for the money of the C8 (alleged performance...until Chris Harris drifts in one then its all vaporware) if the cost of that much value for the money that knocks on the door of entry level super cars is the occasional violation of someone's OCD I don't really care. I'll take an occasional slight panel gap or a half a mm misalignment in deviated stitching any day if the cost to get the same thing in a "perfect" brand (LOL) is numerous additional multiples of its price.

Then again I've never plastic coated a car like grandmas couch and always get a good laugh reading the Robb Report with all those stupid ads for $80K watches and $60K German Shepards.

How much would a new Porsche with C8 performance be? 0-60 in 2.9, top speed 194 (but less with larger optional wings obvsly), over 1 lateral G on all (well, 3+) season tires, likely upper 20s mpg with no guzzler tax, a targa top, deviated stitching in the first place, Bose, etc and I'll go out on a limb and add pending ring times and breaking distances etc? Oh, and with an almost 500hp NA engine? I think we all know the answer.

GM should offer a "flawless package" that guarantees no detectable physical imperfections (as if that's even the case with Porsche in the first place) for an additional 2-300K which is what their version would cost easily.

Heck if there was a brand new comparably equipped C2S that had a couple little QC issues on par with what we've seen in the pre-pro C8's with a dealer discount bringing the price to 80K it would be considered the steal of the century.

Koenigsegg has more rigidity tho which will cause C8 sales to crater once that secret gets out.
The following 4 users liked this post by StudGarden:
6sigma (09-29-2019), GT3FZS (10-01-2019), MXA121 (09-29-2019), Noah Fect (09-29-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?