Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:51 PM
bertram928
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Reasons I chose base:

- mechanical limited slip
-all season tires
- less constraints for earliest delivery

no options in higher trim levels I actually need

simple makes more reliabl
Old 08-02-2019, 12:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
LOL

Originally Posted by bertram928
within seconds of opening link this popped out:

"The settlement fund was set up in June 2014 weeks after a damning internal audit that found company employees failed to report safety problems since 2001."
Bottom line the switch design and cover up happened over a decade prior to Mary being CEO

I too have remind myself to read twice and post once LOL

should Adderall XR be prescribed as well ??
*SINCE* 2001. So being that GM knowingly killed 124 people for a span of years, that makes it better? The fact that over those years, with the data they accumulated, they sacrificed customers lives for a few cents per car, that absolves them so you can continue your C8 fanboyfest? Please. Defending GM for that fiasco is not a good look. And they're largely the same company today. They just got caught. I'm sure if I compiled a list of executives still with the company since the last days of said murderous scandal, it would be long enough.

Originally Posted by TexasRider
As a matter of fact I think the Germans did just that on the battlefields of WW2 once before. Those Panzers and Luftwaffe were invincible - right up until they had to match up to those under built American planes and tanks. You saw how that worked out right.
Let's be glad those weren't GM built tanks. Ignitions might have failed en route.

Originally Posted by Snakebit10
Those are your words above and you are trying to get at me for reading comprehension? You clearly said "no Vette has beaten peak 911 track times: Fact." You cleaned it up second time around but the logic is still flawed.

Ok so lets take your now revised statement harping on "today". So while we are at it the sky is blue and water is wet lol. There is no ZR1 or Z06 yet so you are correct as of today but to use that logic as a statement of fact as to why the C8 is trash or will be slower than the GT2 RS is ridiculous lolol. Lets compare the C8 to the comparable Porsche...How you like its chances
LOL. Most failed attempt to use someone's words on them, ever. Once again, you can't refute what I said. Because what I said was fact. No Vette has beaten *PEAK* (GT2 RS) 911 track times yet. And I cleaned it up more, about 10 more times, yet you still drag the horse acting like you can't comprehend my point.

Show me one stock Vette that has put up better times than a GT2 RS on the Ring or otherwise ("some guy I saw last Sunday who beat a Dr. on his first run" doesn't count). I'll wait.

Originally Posted by STG
Yeah, this anger and torsional rigidity obsession has reached the streets of Stuttgart. Yikes.

Attachment 1307037
'Yeah, this anger about highlighting weak torsional rigidity of the C8 has upset the Garlic Festivals of America. Yikes.'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ng/1887837001/
Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I'm sure if I compiled a list of executives still with the company since the last days of said murderous scandal, it would be long enough.
That's an interesting point.
You roll up to the golf course in your C8 and are paired up with OJ, do you still play?
Old 08-02-2019, 12:23 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Yeah, best you can do K-A is compare the C8 to a $350K GT2RS???
Old 08-02-2019, 12:24 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by d00d
That's an interesting point.
You roll up to the golf course in your C8 and are paired up with OJ, do you still play?
Can I bring a kevlar vest and be assured each hole will be covered by a metal detector?

See, this is where the C8's endless well of golf bag storage becomes a threat....
Old 08-02-2019, 12:25 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
Yeah, best you can do K-A is compare the C8 to a $350K GT2RS???
Not the C8, the C7 ZR1, which is currently the fastest Vette. And yes, the GT2 RS costs more than a ZR1. And I think it's worth every penny in premium for reasons that even exceed its performance advantage.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 900 Likes on 402 Posts

Old 08-02-2019, 03:52 AM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

KA while it is true that GM's negligence with ignitions killed several people.

We should not forget that the VW group deliberately cheated emissions laws, and according to MIT this causes 1200 deaths.

http://news.mit.edu/2017/volkswagen-...hs-europe-0303

We also know that the emissions scandal wasn't contained to VW but also included Audi and Porsche.

From my perspective the most trustworthy automaker is Mercedes-Benz. They seem to take safety very seriously.

Personally I don't understand the anger against the Corvette. It is what it is. The best $60,000 sports car you can buy. And at the price point it is amazing.

I'm not going to buy one because part of the reason I drive a Porsche is because I like the prestige of owning a car as expensive as a 911 Turbo S, but without the high visibility of a Lambo or Ferrari.

But if I was less image conscious, I would look hard at the next Z06.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:26 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bertram928
Reasons I chose base:

- mechanical limited slip
-all season tires
- less constraints for earliest delivery

no options in higher trim levels I actually need

simple makes more reliabl
Yep, KISS
Old 08-02-2019, 04:48 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

I had not seen this particular video of the C8 mules testing at the ring, seems to be one of the latest ones based on the publication date and the reveal date on the side of the doors of the mules.

Very impressive for a 3500 - 3600 lb car, the darker mule seems to handle transitions better and also seems to be able to put the power better.

Edit: After listening a bit, the darker mule seems to have a whine when it starts to accelerate while following the lighter C8 mule around the 4:06 mark, the whine is not as prominent as the supercharger on the C7 ZR1 but there is something there. A possible Z06 mule been tested with a SC?

Edit 2: Also noticed something under the rear diffuser of the 4:06 mule, so the difference in sound could be exhaust related as well.

Edit 3: Based on the pre-production model shown at Connely Chevy that part seems part of the rear subframe.

Here is a closeup.

Could the difference in handling be due to a MRC equipped car vs a standard passive Z51 suspension car? Still can't figure out the whine on the car shown at the 4:06 mark.. Hmm...

Based on what I have read at CorvetteForums Spring Mountain will be getting 40 cars from the production line for the dealer training program, would be curious to know if those will be the same ones that will be used for the Corvette driving school.

Last edited by 2slow2speed; 08-02-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Note the difference in engine sound at 4:06 mark.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:30 AM
ZDan
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Let's be glad those weren't GM built tanks. Ignitions might have failed en route.
You ever get tired of being wrong?
GM built 38,000 tanks, tank-destroyers, and armored vehicles for WWII. And a bunch of other stuff:
https://www.military.com/veteran-job...ar-effort.html
When it was all counted up after the war, GM had produced 854,000 trucks (including the legendary DUKW, or "Duck" amphibious vehicles), 198,000 diesel engines, 206,000 aircraft engines, and 38,000 tanks, tank destroyers, and armored vehicles, not to mention vast quantities of guns and ammunition.

Porsche's Tiger tanks were rejected and Henschel got that contract. Porsche did build "tank-destroyers" for the Germans. Oh yeah, Ferdinand Porsche was a **** war criminal...
Old 08-02-2019, 09:50 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
KA while it is true that GM's negligence with ignitions killed several people.

We should not forget that the VW group deliberately cheated emissions laws, and according to MIT this causes 1200 deaths.

http://news.mit.edu/2017/volkswagen-...hs-europe-0303

We also know that the emissions scandal wasn't contained to VW but also included Audi and Porsche.

From my perspective the most trustworthy automaker is Mercedes-Benz. They seem to take safety very seriously.

Personally I don't understand the anger against the Corvette. It is what it is. The best $60,000 sports car you can buy. And at the price point it is amazing.

I'm not going to buy one because part of the reason I drive a Porsche is because I like the prestige of owning a car as expensive as a 911 Turbo S, but without the high visibility of a Lambo or Ferrari.

But if I was less image conscious, I would look hard at the next Z06.
The emissions scandal is bad indeed. But knowingly putting specific lives in immediate danger to save a few cents is a bit different than cheating emissions.

Originally Posted by ZDan
You ever get tired of being wrong?
GM built 38,000 tanks, tank-destroyers, and armored vehicles for WWII. And a bunch of other stuff:
https://www.military.com/veteran-job...ar-effort.html
When it was all counted up after the war, GM had produced 854,000 trucks (including the legendary DUKW, or "Duck" amphibious vehicles), 198,000 diesel engines, 206,000 aircraft engines, and 38,000 tanks, tank destroyers, and armored vehicles, not to mention vast quantities of guns and ammunition.

Porsche's Tiger tanks were rejected and Henschel got that contract. Porsche did build "tank-destroyers" for the Germans. Oh yeah, Ferdinand Porsche was a **** war criminal...
We’re talking pre-WW2 GM vs post taxpayer bailout GM. Not exactly the same company. We have people here trying to say the ignition fiasco GM is laughably a “different company” than today’s GM, despite the fact that hoards of employees from then are employees from now. Now all of a sudden WW2 GM is today’s GM? Check out GM cars of the 90’s and 2000’s on NHTSA’s website, where they hold a record level of “safety hazard” designations due to collapsing structures. They didn’t skimp on life threatening quality only during the ignition fiasco. Frankly, I don’t think there’s any automaker on earth who’s willingly put more Americans in danger through the decades.

Yes, I know about Ferdinand’s history with Nazism. Can’t blame anyone who would never let that slide and will judge the brand accordingly. One thing I will give Germany as a whole credit for is handling their darkest moments with strength and a zero tolerance policy.

Can’t entirely say the same for GM, who allowed remnants of our own countries darkest moments to continue for over 2 years in one of their plants. In 2018. And they got sued for negligence there too. We’re talking open displays of nooses, violent racial segregation era harassments toward black employees, and pro KKK rhetoric.

And that Ohio plant built cars that were very recently sold to customers.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/16/u...uit/index.html

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1PQ5RV

Old 08-02-2019, 09:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

Horrendous fit and finish displayed in close up views. You’ve got about a 1/2 inch of rubber weather stripping misaligned from the edge of the fender, for one.

They seem to have gotten the big picture covered very well. It’ll be the details where the car shows why it’s able to be sold for such a bargain. After all, it is a Vette! The engine may have moved, but the DNA remains.

On a good note, maybe those of us who are OCD would be so desensitized by the detailed flaws that we just give up on trying to care.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The emissions scandal is bad indeed. But knowingly putting specific lives in immediate danger to save a few cents is a bit different than cheating emissions.We’re talking pre-WW2 GM vs post taxpayer bailout GM. Not exactly the same company. We have people here trying to say the ignition fiasco GM is laughably a “different company” than today’s GM, despite the fact that hoards of employees from then are employees from now. Now all of a sudden WW2 GM is today’s GM? Check out GM cars of the 90’s and 2000’s on NHTSA’s website, where they hold a record level of “safety hazard” designations due to collapsing structures. They didn’t skimp on life threatening quality only during the ignition fiasco. Frankly, I don’t think there’s any automaker on earth who’s willingly put more Americans in danger through the decades.

Yes, I know about Ferdinand’s history with Nazism. Can’t blame anyone who would never let that slide and will judge the brand accordingly. One thing I will give Germany as a whole credit for is handling their darkest moments with strength and a zero tolerance policy.

Can’t entirely say the same for GM, who allowed remnants of our own countries darkest moments to continue for over 2 years in one of their plants. In 2018. And they got sued for negligence there too. We’re talking open displays of nooses, violent racial segregation era harassments toward black employees, and pro KKK rhetoric.

And that Ohio plant built cars that were very recently sold to customers.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/16/u...uit/index.html

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1PQ5RV

Why don't you stick to the subject here??? The C8 .....

You're grasping at any straws here trying to deflect from the threads subject here. We've gone to bailouts, faulty ignitions, now racism and the KKK. Seriously??

All this has zero to with the C8. Just goes to show how big of a success it will be.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:15 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG
Why don't you stick to the subject here??? The C8 .....

You're grasping at any straws here trying to deflect from the threads subject here. We've gone to bailouts, faulty ignitions, now racism and the KKK. Seriously??

All this has zero to with the C8. Just goes to show how big of a success it will be.
GM are simply one of the most scandal laden companies in existence. They make the C8, so you’re entrusting them, skeletons and all, with your safety and simply money when you buy a C8. You get a lot of car for the price, but digging a little deeper to me shows where the value comes into play. As historically usual, it’s via skimping on the finer details, and questionable build methods.

I’m all good with it being a success as I own GM stock. I literally have no dog in this race. But it being a success won’t motivate me to buy one (if they sell too many, I’d probably not be so drawn to it once they get on the roads for a while). Prius’s are huge successes too.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?