Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 10:02 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Neither I nor you have ever driven a C8. So its premature to say that it is falling short of the hype at this time. Motor Trend compared the C8 to a 992S, and FWIW they gave the nod to the C8.. I've priced a 992S and my modest build exceeded $130K. That is more than $50K than a nicely equipped C8. Maybe $50K is no big deal to you, but it is to me. So a 992S would have to be a hell of a lot better than a C8, for me to pay the $50K premium.
Yes, no question the C8 is the better value on paper, but the 992 S a better performer and engineered product. Hence why I say it’s a rinse and repeat. The Vette “winning” a test it falls short in every performance, communicative and dynamic metric on solely because it’s a better bargain and built in America is nothing new. Domestic mags always fanboy over Vettes when they come out and GM is clearly cutting big checks to keep the hype machine flowing. I mean, someone even said the magazine went back and edited out their initial negative tones toward the C8? If that’s right, says it all right there.

The C8 certainly earns the hype and is a far better value. But then again, the 992 S is the better product. Think about it this way, $50K above $130K is $180K, and the 991 S surely outperforms and/or comes close to plenty of cars that cost $180K or more. The 992 costs a lot more than the C8 because it’s a better car. How much better, and how far every “ounce” of engineering goes, is of course as always up to the beholder.

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
and if you go back to the beginnings of the 992 review post, you will remember how much complaining there was about the 992 being too much of a grand touring car compared to 991. its the natural evolution for sports cars. they will get more and more comfortable with each successive version. as long as the gt3 and z06 put the sporting ability as priority, its ok. im glad that a base c8 is comfortable.
Which is exactly my point. The 992 already gets criticized for being too GT, too little sports car, too quiet, sophisticated and serene. Yet the way they perceive it comparing to a C8 Z51 is as if it is a GT3, in how all of a sudden in context the 992 is a high road feel, engaging almost gruff and loud sports car. Hilarious to hear as no 9A2 engine 911’s fit that description.

Very telling as to how isolated and GT the large Vette is. Starts sounding to me more like it was originally intended to be a “Cadillac super car” until they pared it down for Chevy.
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:02 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The 992 already gets criticized for being too GT, too little sports car, too quiet, sophisticated and serene. Yet the way they perceive it comparing to a C8 Z51 is as if it is a GT3, in how all of a sudden in context the 992 is a high road feel, engaging almost gruff and loud sports car. Hilarious to hear as no 9A2 engine 911’s fit that description.
Yes. As I wrote in the thread about the MT review... The article doesn't correspond to the final result. How does a car with huge understeer, subpar ("numb") steering and brakes that drives like a "luxury sports sedan" win a sports car comparo test? How does the car with "more midcorner grip allowing us to carry higher cornering speeds and get on the throttle earlier when exiting a corner, as well as more steering feel and better brake feel at the limit" lose?

And the C8 is just plain ugly -- already not "aging" well. C9 is almost guaranteed to have all those creases and angles softened or outright deleted. Not a fan of the 992 either, but the C8 seems to be worse - 4 inches longer, 3 inches wider and 200+ lbs heavier than an already porky 992. If you want a cruiser disconnected from the road get a 5 series, E class, or A6.

Sure, GM must be given credit for constantly improving the Corvette. I just wish both the 911 and the Corvette stopped "improving" towards a german luxury sports sedan as their goal.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:38 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 739 Likes on 403 Posts

https://www.motor1.com/news/375506/c...burgring-time/

Wait for this to get revealed and then see all the comments about heavy, porky, numb etc. Porsche aficionados always put huge stock in Ring times in all their bench racing, interweb chatter. Then what will folks say. Man can’t you all realize that Chevy released a great car that is going to do great, sell well and god for bid keep the competition and rivalry’s going to make ALL the manufactures stay on their toes and always be innovating.

Unlike most here I think the car is fantastic and is going to dig into the pockets of plenty diehards of other loyal brand purchasers. Porsche fan but just not trying to grab for straws and hate it without even putting a butt in the seat and compare it for myself to my GT3.
GT3FZS (10-25-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:56 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Expressing preference for Car 1 over Car 2 doesn't imply "hate" for Car 2. Slapping the "hater" label onto someone's forehead is not an argument.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by hf1
Yes. As I wrote in the thread about the MT review... The article doesn't correspond to the final result. How does a car with huge understeer, subpar ("numb") steering and brakes that drives like a "luxury sports sedan" win a sports car comparo test? How does the car with "more midcorner grip allowing us to carry higher cornering speeds and get on the throttle earlier when exiting a corner, as well as more steering feel and better brake feel at the limit" lose?

And the C8 is just plain ugly -- already not "aging" well. C9 is almost guaranteed to have all those creases and angles softened or outright deleted. Not a fan of the 992 either, but the C8 seems to be worse - 4 inches longer, 3 inches wider and 200+ lbs heavier than an already porky 992. If you want a cruiser disconnected from the road get a 5 series, E class, or A6.

Sure, GM must be given credit for constantly improving the Corvette. I just wish both the 911 and the Corvette stopped "improving" towards a german luxury sports sedan as their goal.
Originally Posted by hf1
Expressing preference for Car 1 over Car 2 doesn't imply "hate" for Car 2. Slapping the "hater" label onto someone's forehead is not an argument.
Agreed and agreed.

As for how the car that’s worse in every metric “wins” a comparo test that it loses handily in every which dynamic way that comprises a sports car, the an$wer is $imple.

That hype machine keeps a chugging. Perhaps GM is funding it via money saved from the worker strike.

In other news, another comparison test shows the 992 putting up MUCH BETTER numbers than an Aston Martin that costs much more. At least the 992 S is better than the Vette in every way to earn its price premium. From engineering to imo looks.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:08 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Agreed and agreed.

As for how the car that’s worse in every metric “wins” a comparo test that it loses handily in every which dynamic way that comprises a sports car, the an$wer is $imple.

That hype machine keeps a chugging. Perhaps GM is funding it via money saved from the worker strike.

In other news, another comparison test shows the 992 putting up MUCH BETTER numbers than an Aston Martin that costs much more. At least the 992 S is better than the Vette in every way to earn its price premium. From engineering to imo looks.
+ 4 Kabillion.
K-A (10-24-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 11:41 PM
dovecom
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The C8 will really eat into 718 sales. It’s probably the final kick Porsche needs to turn them into electric only. They won’t be able to compete with the C8 on anything. The current 718 isn’t very attractive and isn’t that well made. It’s a nice balanced sports car but now so is the C8. And the announcement of a NA 5.5 DOHC flat-plane crank 8600rpm 600hp engine likely in the ZO6 shows they are very serious about competing against the exotics. If there’s demand for a slower manual version who knows. They might build it. But it doesn’t matter anymore to 95% of buyers. The value proposition is too good.
I wont be selling my 987 soon but if I ever do, I’d be stupid not to look at a used ‘Vette. Porsche is going to be hurt badly by this car. It attacks a major money earner.
JB43 (04-12-2020)
Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Good grief already...the new Vette is superfine and has a lot of great features, but at the end of the day...there is no substitute.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:07 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by box
Good grief already...the new Vette is superfine and has a lot of great features, but at the end of the day...there is no substitute.
I don't know anyone who would buy a wheezing four-banger for close to $100K when the C8 is available. Just saying.
JB43 (04-12-2020)
Old 10-29-2019, 12:36 AM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of varied insights. Im excited about the c8 yet I find many of your points compelling.

this new 67 grand corvette z51 fe4 base price does off a rear mid engine sports car that accelerates as fast as a ferrari Enzo. This new corvette carries as much lateral g force in jandling and stops as well again as the ferrari enzo.

in my opinion thats a hell of a sports car.

want the 2LT interior spend another 7 grand..l your only at 74 grand...

a front end 2 inch gps lift system...add another 1500...

all your own choices and quite honestly I still say to myself...ferrari enzo like performance for under 75 grand and its a targa..

I love the lift off roof option...and its standard...

want open air motoring in full luxury style...

order up the 67500 convertible with its retractable hardtop...

in the new for corvette model in rapid blue with no other options and it s 67500 to start...

sweet ride
The following 3 users liked this post by JBsZ06:
GT3FZS (10-30-2019), JB43 (04-12-2020), MXA121 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:10 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,041 Likes on 535 Posts

I hope it turns out to be a great car. A little competition never hurts.
JB43 (04-12-2020)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:34 PM
tech_auto
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's an advanced improvement, it sucks that there is no manual transmission. I read it was done to reduce complexity of the chassis (not having to put a hole through it), keep it rigid.
Overall design on the exterior is nice when you see it on the road but I'm not fond of the rear and those camaro-esque lights. Just a little too busy in the rear.
They kept the Corvette look up front enough to keep previous vette buyers happy I think.
Overall I think they will sell well for Chevy.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:41 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by dovecom
The C8 will really eat into 718 sales. It’s probably the final kick Porsche needs to turn them into electric only. They won’t be able to compete with the C8 on anything. The current 718 isn’t very attractive and isn’t that well made. It’s a nice balanced sports car but now so is the C8. And the announcement of a NA 5.5 DOHC flat-plane crank 8600rpm 600hp engine likely in the ZO6 shows they are very serious about competing against the exotics. If there’s demand for a slower manual version who knows. They might build it. But it doesn’t matter anymore to 95% of buyers. The value proposition is too good.
I wont be selling my 987 soon but if I ever do, I’d be stupid not to look at a used ‘Vette. Porsche is going to be hurt badly by this car. It attacks a major money earner.
Except the Cayman will be far more fun through backroads than a C8 hefty as a small luxury sedan and reported to feel as isolated and smooth as a small luxury sedan. The Cayman isn't about speed and performance (it has that in spades as well in S and above trim as it can clock a sub-12 second 1/4 run), it's about feeling like a go-kart, a fun toy. I had more fun in a 718 Boxster S than I have in cars costing way more with much more HP.

The C8 by all accounts sounds like a Cadillac with great performance and moderate lateral G's even with super sticky tires. Very different driving experiences. IMO the true drivers will still find more joy and precision with the 718's.

All that said, despite it providing excellent power, the 4 bangers are garbage, sound like garbage, and just don't fit into a $70+K car, I don't care how fast it is. The Vette being a NATURALLY ASPIRATED V8 in itself earns it massive points over the 718.
BudgetPlan1 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:57 PM
BudgetPlan1
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Except the Cayman will be far more fun through backroads than a C8 hefty as a small luxury sedan and reported to feel as isolated and smooth as a small luxury sedan. The Cayman isn't about speed and performance (it has that in spades as well in S and above trim as it can clock a sub-12 second 1/4 run), it's about feeling like a go-kart, a fun toy. I had more fun in a 718 Boxster S than I have in cars costing way more with much more HP.

The C8 by all accounts sounds like a Cadillac with great performance and moderate lateral G's even with super sticky tires. Very different driving experiences. IMO the true drivers will still find more joy and precision with the 718's.

All that said, despite it providing excellent power, the 4 bangers are garbage, sound like garbage, and just don't fit into a $70+K car, I don't care how fast it is. The Vette being a NATURALLY ASPIRATED V8 in itself earns it massive points over the 718.
This.
K-A (11-06-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 06:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

We all know that Porsches have always been expensive, but they have now reached the obnoxious level. At a nearby Porsche dealership, they have four 992Ss for sale in the mid $140Ks range. They also have a 992 4S for sale for $155K. So for that reason alone, I'm happy that GM has built an outstanding performance car that many can afford.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?