Notices
View Poll Results: what do you think?
really clean, nice looking Vette....
31.46%
a very different Vette but we'll sure as hell take it.
29.84%
i'll be ordering one soon.......
17.72%
No thank you
20.98%
Voters: 553. You may not vote on this poll

Thoughts on the new corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 01:25 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

The DNA of the 911 is seen in all their models. Including the Taycan. It is the benchmark used for every vehicle in their lineup. If the Taycan is the flagship. Then the Volt is the flagship of Chevrolet

And the Taycan is not going to “start” at $150. Obviously lower end variants will be added

The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
This is ignorance
You should probably try to have a discussion instead of just being a douche.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:29 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Caustic
You should probably try to have a discussion instead of just being a douche.
How about looking at the comment right above yours.... once again. Ignorant
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

How about their flagship 911. A car that has been their flagship for decades.
The DNA of the 911 is seen in all their models. Including the Taycan. It is the benchmark used for every vehicle in their lineup. If the Taycan is the flagship. Then the Volt is the flagship of Chevrolet

And the Taycan is not going to “start” at $150. Obviously lower end variants will be added
First off, Porsche tried to kill off the 911. And it was supposed to be replaced be the 928. Decades as a flagship?

The Cayenne was really a VW Touareg. 911 DNA in all their models?

"Taycan, New Electrified Flagship of Porsche", Forbes

"The Taycan Turbo S is the current flagship, maybe of the entire Porsche range at this point", Jalopnik

Like I said, you are a douche.

Last edited by Caustic; 09-15-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Has this POS STILL not been actually DRIVEN yet?!

STG must be hitting overtime to keep the hype machine flowing (or has even that well dried up).

.... Meanwhile, the Taycan already has a (record setting) Ring time.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Guessing you guys aren't NSX fans.

As for the flagship designation, that isn't really the right way to think about it. If you believe the executives, the Taycan is a literal bet-the-company move. They have reportedly spent the equivalent of over six billion dollars on that program.

When someone new comes on board at Porsche -- either a hot-shot new hire straight out of school or a respected veteran engineer poached from a competitor -- where do you think that person is assigned? Designing nubbins and cupholders? Chopping two more cylinders off the 9A1 for the company's new line of golf carts? No, they are either assigned to the critical-path profit center -- meaning SUVs -- or they are assigned to the EV program.

The 911 is both a sinecure for old-guard managers on their way to retirement, and a training ground for newbie designers and B-list engineering talent. (Watch the videos, for Pete's sake! They are actually proud of that CHMSL.) Despite being one of the most profitable cars around on a per-unit basis, the 911 doesn't command the necessary sales volume to dominate the revenue picture, and nobody is under the illusion that it will in the future. So it doesn't drive the company's vision in any but the most superficial respects.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,752 Likes on 5,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Guessing you guys aren't NSX fans.

As for the flagship designation, that isn't really the right way to think about it. If you believe the executives, the Taycan is a literal bet-the-company move. They have reportedly spent the equivalent of over six billion dollars on that program.

When someone new comes on board at Porsche -- either a hot-shot new hire straight out of school or a respected veteran engineer poached from a competitor -- where do you think that person is assigned? Designing nubbins and cupholders? Chopping two more cylinders off the 9A1 for the company's new line of golf carts? No, they are either assigned to the critical-path profit center -- meaning SUVs -- or they are assigned to the EV program.

The 911 is both a sinecure for old-guard managers on their way to retirement, and a training ground for newbie designers and B-list engineering talent. (Watch the videos, for Pete's sake! They are actually proud of that CHMSL.) Despite being one of the most profitable cars around on a per-unit basis, the 911 doesn't command the necessary sales volume to dominate the revenue picture, and nobody is under the illusion that it will in the future. So it doesn't drive the company's vision in any but the most superficial respects.
While I agree with the overall tenor of your post, I think that last paragraph is not exactly right.

While the 911, even being the most profitable model out there, does not (as you say) "command the necessary sales volume to dominate the revenue picture" it is still nonetheless a necessary and indispensable means to an end for Porsche.

Without the 911, people would not be drawn to the marque, either for the SUVs (a Macan or Cayenne) or for the recently revealed Taycan.

In other words, in a world where Porsche stopped selling 911s, would people still care enough to pay (and pay a premium) for a Porsche Macan? Or a Taycan?

Some would, I'd imagine.

But most wouldn't, I'd bet.

Cuz lets face it. At this price point, hoi polloi are brand snobs to some degree. Myself included.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
CaymanCarver (09-16-2019), GT3FZS (09-16-2019), jkautz (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 10:56 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While I agree with the overall tenor of your post, I think that last paragraph is not exactly right.

While the 911, even being the most profitable model out there, does not (as you say) "command the necessary sales volume to dominate the revenue picture" it is still nonetheless a necessary and indispensable means to an end for Porsche.

Without the 911, people would not be drawn to the marque, either for the SUVs (a Macan or Cayenne) or for the recently revealed Taycan.

In other words, in a world where Porsche stopped selling 911s, would people still care enough to pay (and pay a premium) for a Porsche Macan? Or a Taycan?

Some would, I'd imagine.

But most wouldn't, I'd bet.

Cuz lets face it. At this price point, hoi polloi are brand snobs to some degree. Myself included.
Exactly. Just look at the Taycan marketing. The 911’s importance goes far beyond its own actual profitability. It’s the marketing halo of the brand. Porsche is the “911 company” in that every car is “the 911 of [enter segment].” They need to keep the 911 desirable, of a more engaging era (“old school charm with new school qualities and capabilities” a’la playing by its own rules in a modern age), and unique not just for its own success, but for the brand to continue to base its entire design and soul around it.
The following 2 users liked this post by K-A:
CaymanCarver (09-16-2019), jkautz (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

In other news, 1.4 billion not-so-Red Chinese wouldn't know a 911 if it ran over them in the middle of Tiananmen Square.

Not dissing the 911, don't get me wrong, but especially for prospective Taycan customers, it's no longer a big factor IMO. The company can coast on the reputation of the Macan and Cayenne alone at this point. They are arguably doing us a favor by continuing to build sports cars at all.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:55 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

First off, Porsche tried to kill off the 911. And it was supposed to be replaced be the 928. Decades as a flagship?

The Cayenne was really a VW Touareg. 911 DNA in all their models?

"Taycan, New Electrified Flagship of Porsche", Forbes

"The Taycan Turbo S is the current flagship, maybe of the entire Porsche range at this point", Jalopnik

Like I said, you are a douche.
lol I can see I hit a nerve

i want to congratulate you. You can actually google key terms!!

I can only IMAGINE how many articles searching the 911 flagship.

ill hold judgement when the Taycan actually develops a legacy... like the 911. So check in with me in 55 years
Old 09-16-2019, 12:07 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Kidnap the CEO's wife/children/dog and tell him the ransom is that he has to kill off either the Taycan or the 911 product line. That's how you can tell which one is the "flagship."

Remember that the 992 has been package-protected for a future hybrid drive. Was the Taycan package-protected for a flat six?

Meanwhile, back in Bowling Green....
GT3FZS (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Caustic
Rennlist Member

lol I can see I hit a nerve

i want to congratulate you. You can actually google key terms!!

I can only IMAGINE how many articles searching the 911 flagship.

ill hold judgement when the Taycan actually develops a legacy... like the 911. So check in with me in 55 years
Yes, because you back up and articulate your discussion points so well. Good job!
Old 09-16-2019, 01:02 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Yes, because you back up and articulate your discussion points so well. Good job!
I’ll let the 911 do the talking, while you google your two little articles..
Old 09-16-2019, 11:51 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 252 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
AFAICT, the official Reveal date for the Taycan was 9-4-2019.
But look, here's a vid of an independent auto-journo dated 8-9-2019 who was invited to a track to test Launch Control on the Taycan.. ALL DAY LONG. AND then he wrote about it and posted a video!
This hasn't happened AT ALL with the c8.
My apologies, I failed to insert the link to the video. Here it is:

And just for the record, Chevy has put pre-production cars in the hands of auto magazines 2 weeks ago to test.
First I've heard of it.. and why "pre-production" cars? At this stage after a "Reveal", there's usually production units being distributed for publicized evaluation.

We will find out about the car soon enough when the press embargo lifts.
Ahh, so there has been a "Press Embargo". Again, that's the first I've heard anybody admit to it.
You are spilling some serious beans!

I'd start prepping my response for a couple weeks from now, when NOTHING happens.

Meanwhile, back in Bowling Green....
A United Auto Workers Strike just kicked off. => more delays for the c8. LINK

In other news.
Its been rumored that Porsche is making a behind-the-scenes play to buy Tesla.

Insider details here: https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan-a...l#post16090479
jkautz (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
My apologies, I failed to insert the link to the video. Here it is: LINK

Looks like they accidentally wired the 800 volt bus to the seat heater...

First I've heard of it.. and why "pre-production" cars? At this stage after a "Reveal", there's usually production units being distributed for publicized evaluation.
And that's exactly what happened, very shortly after the introduction.

Ahh, so there has been a "Press Embargo". Again, that's the first I've heard anybody admit to it.
You are spilling some serious beans!
New to the business, I take it? Press embargoes are standard procedure across all major manufacturers including Porsche. The idea is to keep from appearing to favor one publication over another, and to give the journalists time to write reasonable articles without competing to see who can publish the lamest crap first.

I'd start prepping my response for a couple weeks from now, when NOTHING happens.
Typically the lead times are at least a couple of months due to print schedules. There have definitely been some journalist test drives.

A United Auto Workers Strike just kicked off. => more delays for the c8.
Bummer, all right. The peasants are revolting as usual...

Its been rumored that Porsche is making a behind-the-scenes play to buy Tesla.
I guess Musk has been Tweeting again. Big fan of his work, but holy cow, what an AW.
CaymanCarver (09-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the new corvette?