Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:17 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Just as a data point, at the last two Maverick region DE's I walked the grid for each session and looked at each of the student 991 and 981 cars to see the ratio of manual to PDK. Student attendance in these events is 150 per event. In two weekends I found one manual transmission, and that was my SA in his CS. Assuming repeat students, I have to guess the ratio is about 90 to 1. I know on the GT4 forum I am preaching to the choir, but if you want a manual you'd better get it now.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
++++This and thanks for introducing a dose of reality to this argument! I know I will get some flaming responses to this but given you started it...

The most fun and involving road car I owned was my 81 SC with 172 horsepower. If you want great driver "involvement" go buy yourself something similar (or a 3.2 whether it has a 915 or G50). You can thrash a car like that on the street and have fun, yet for the most part stay out of trouble. I find the debate on street involvement with the modern platforms humorous. Regardless of transmission selection I have not been able to get close to the performance potential of a modern 911 or 981 platform on the street without doing highly illegal or stupid (or both) stuff.
It was tongue in cheek but I was dead serious. I was recently car shopping and I was considering base Caymans and Boxsters. Not S cars. Not GTS cars. Not the GT4 or a Spyder. Just a plain jane used 2.7l 987. I've got air cooled hot rods for when I want to pretend that I am Steve McQueen.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:28 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

The only reason I ever learned to heel-toe properly is because I've had a sports car for the last 10 years that wasn't offered in paddles. I think a lot of people do not enjoy driving manual because the lack of proficiency gets in the way of enjoyment and when the paddles do it so well, why bother to learn? There are plenty of people that can drive a manual well that still prefer PDK, I just think proficiency scares off a lot of people.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
The only reason I ever learned to heel-toe properly is because I've had a sports car for the last 10 years that wasn't offered in paddles. I think a lot of people do not enjoy driving manual because the lack of proficiency gets in the way of enjoyment and when the paddles do it so well, why bother to learn? There are plenty of people that can drive a manual well that still prefer PDK, I just think proficiency scares off a lot of people.
That's just it. The reason that Driver's Ed grids are overfilled is because of the PDK and the intimidation relief it provides. These people are scared to be floundering around concentrating on heel toe. When they stick up for PDK and play the "it's faster card" when manual purists ridicule them, it's just a defense mechanism. I've owned manuals and have preferred manuls my entire life but we wouldn't have half of the new customers we have had if PDK wasn't available. It's a total preference thing based on the level of driver involvement. Manual enthusiasts want more involvement whereas newbie track folks want less because they are just trying to catch up for years of lost time and have more info to disseminate; the rest of us have been blipping our way through intersections and back roads and still prefer to be more involved.

PDK is the reason a lot of non-traditional Porsche folks have purchased cars to start the DE thing and it's solely because it's just easier.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:43 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
It was tongue in cheek but I was dead serious. I was recently car shopping and I was considering base Caymans and Boxsters. Not S cars. Not GTS cars. Not the GT4 or a Spyder. Just a plain jane used 2.7l 987. I've got air cooled hot rods for when I want to pretend that I am Steve McQueen.
Awesome and I know you were not kidding. We are in alignment. The car I (unfortunately) have to trade for the GT4 to make space in the garage is the blue one in the Avatar. Everyone thought i was nuts when I ordered it new. Base manual 2.7 981 with only two options - the sport suspension and PTV. It was almost as fun as the 81 SC!

The other gentleman missed the entire point of my response to your post. Huge manual fan for my street cars and will likely never sell the hotrod 993. Was really hoping for PDK in the GT4 and #1 on the GT4RS list just in case we see that option.

Last edited by mgerber; 08-06-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:44 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
That's just it. The reason that Driver's Ed grids are overfilled is because of the PDK and the intimidation relief it provides. These people are scared to be floundering around concentrating on heel toe. When they stick up for PDK and play the "it's faster card" when manual purists ridicule them, it's just a defense mechanism. I've owned manuals and have preferred manuls my entire life but we wouldn't have half of the new customers we have had if PDK wasn't available. It's a total preference thing based on the level of driver involvement. Manual enthusiasts want more involvement whereas newbie track folks want less because they are just trying to catch up for years of lost time and have more info to disseminate; the rest of us have been blipping our way through intersections and back roads and still prefer to be more involved.

PDK is the reason a lot of non-traditional Porsche folks have purchased cars to start the DE thing and it's solely because it's just easier.
I don't think fear of driving a manual is the reason people don't do DE's. It has to do with fear of damage, fear of devaluation, fear of looking slow, or fear of wife...
Old 08-06-2015, 06:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Speaking of DEs,one's mind must always stronger than his ***** be. Master Yoda said that. For real!

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:01 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't think fear of driving a manual is the reason people don't do DE's. It has to do with fear of damage, fear of devaluation, fear of looking slow, or fear of wife...
Another reason to have something older and more disposable in the garage.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was tongue in cheek but I was dead serious. I was recently car shopping and I was considering base Caymans and Boxsters. Not S cars. Not GTS cars. Not the GT4 or a Spyder. Just a plain jane used 2.7l 987.
Wow, this is probably the reason I bought my 2005 base Boxster and held on to it for the past 10 years.
It's just a really fun, great handling car, and has been extremely reliable.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Another reason to have something older and more disposable in the garage.
This is what is always comes down to! For some that is a 918 or 991RS! And for me somerhing less expensive.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:57 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I agree but the point I failed to to make is that DE attendance is on the rise big time and while things like the economy and price to play vs club racing are the biggest drivers, I think PDK makes the jump from the ledge less terrifying.

P.S. Joe, your avatar is hilarious. I hope to meet you So Cal and Nor Cal folks some day.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

He'll be in Orlando late Feb, pretty close to BGB headquarters :-)
He needs a Rental Cayman for a day to sample Sebring.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:37 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
P.S. Joe, your avatar is hilarious. I hope to meet you So Cal and Nor Cal folks some day.
Get your *** out to Rennsport Reunion...I'll buy the beer.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:48 PM
QShip
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I attribute my desire for a manual transmission, NA Porsche as a sign I'm getting old enough to appreciate nostalgia in my middle years.

When I was younger it was all about going the fastest with the best tech, now I want to ensure that I have a non-electric, non-forced-induction car that I can heel-toe the rest of my lift. It's definitely not about having the fastest car I can afford.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default No RWS!

Hoping for a GT4RS because I cannot abide a car steering for me as the GT3/GT3RS does.

Cannot wait for my late Sept GT4 delivery! Nothing but ABS (and PASM). Never should have sold the 996GT3.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS