Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:16 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
My understanding is that it is the same gearbox but with different ratios depending on application. I could be mistaken and maybe it isn't an "S" gearbox. The piece about the PTV+ is accurate though regardless of the name of the family of gearboxes. It's a completely different casting to accomodate what you guys are calling the E-diff. I believe there is only one of those castings being used across all cars using that LSD.

If they were to offer a high end PDK with PTV+ for the Cayman/Boxster family it would require a new casting because of the mid-engine. There are already 2 castings for these cars, one for PTV and one for non-PTV. PTV+ would require a 3rd gearbox case.
Interesting and helpful, thank you.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:25 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
A 991 transmission needs to be turned around and flipped upside down to work in a Cayman and that's why when you put a 911 motor in a Cayman, the motor is the only thing 911 and every other single thing is still Cayman like exhaust, axles, gearbox so that it all lines up. On the PDK, when the trans is in a 991 or a 981 the LSD is still on the same side of the car so they can't be rotated and flipped.
Thanks! I now remember you talking about having to flip a 991 gearbox vertically to make it fit in a 981. But what about using the regular 981's PDK with the 991S motor in the GT4? Can its design just not withstand the extra torque, or is there some other issue there as well? Software programming?

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I meant the comment in fun. Sometimes such things don't translate well in internet posts.
No worries. I've encountered the same difficulty conveying tone in forum posts, which is why I now use emoticons more frequently even though I'm not really an emoticon guy in real life.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
No worries. I've encountered the same difficulty conveying tone in forum posts, which is why I now use emoticons more frequently even though I'm not really an emoticon guy in real life.
Yes, I forgot the smiley. And many of my jokes just aren't funny. Bad combination.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:45 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 596 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Hand raised, is there a general cost estimate to do this aftermarket?
The regular PDK would be acceptable, it doesn't have to be the GT3 specific PDK-S (pull both paddles for neutral, quicker shifts, non OD 7th, etc.), thanks.
I was just curious as to the actual number of deflated GT4 enthusiasts that had their hearts set on PDK.

While we have done 3 981 PDKs this year, 2 with the 991 3.8L and 1 with the 991 Power Kit, we have yet to retrofit it backwards into a new GT4. It cant be worse than upgrading the Rolex GX car 1st from EFI 987.1 and then to 987.2 DFI and then to PDK. We got everything working again as stock.

I think only you will be able to decide if it's worth it but I will send you a PM for sake of discussion and information.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just curious as to the actual number of deflated GT4 enthusiasts that had their hearts set on PDK.

While we have done 3 981 PDKs this year, 2 with the 991 3.8L and 1 with the 991 Power Kit, we have yet to retrofit it backwards into a new GT4. It cant be worse than upgrading the Rolex GX car 1st from EFI 987.1 and then to 987.2 DFI and then to PDK. We got everything working again as stock.

I think only you will be able to decide if it's worth it but I will send you a PM for sake of discussion and information.
I don't get it, why even think of putting a PDK into a GT4 and simply buy a tried and true PDK equipped GT3?
I thought the whole point of the GT4 was for Porsche to offer the public a manual transmission equipped "GT" car.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I don't get it, why even think of putting a PDK into a GT4 and simply buy a tried and true PDK equipped GT3?
I thought the whole point of the GT4 was for Porsche to offer the public a manual transmission equipped "GT" car.
I had a similar exchange with a member earlier in this thread. If it were me, I would get a GTS with PDK and then have BGB install a 3.8 in the car. The guy I was talking to wanted all the GT3 based underpinnings that are on a GT4.

As for the GT3 part of your question? A lot of guys prefer the midengine platform to the rear. Doesn't make sense to some hardcore 911 guys, but there is definitely a group of us who think that the 911 always should have been a midengine car from the early days.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess this is as good a time to ask as any; who here actually wanted a PDK in the GT4, raise your hand?

The issue is that the 991 PDK doesn't work in the 981 so therefore a decision has to be made to invest in maybe a PDK specific for the 981 3.4L. I would be shocked if the car had the electronic diff which probably needs to be smarter for the rear wheel steering available on the GT3 that should never ever ever be installed on a mid engine Cayman.
The benefits that I see in an e-diff is that the torque distribution is dynamic, having driven both a F458 and a few C7 vettes at the track I can see the benefits of been able to apply throttle earlier on a car equipped with an e-diff compared to a traditional mechanical diff.

Of course there are downsides : additional weight, complexity, unknown longevity/reliability, running costs, etc.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

As for the GT3 part of your question? A lot of guys prefer the midengine platform to the rear.

I'm also a card carrying member of the "MR" club.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Of course there are downsides : additional weight, complexity, unknown longevity/reliability, running costs, etc.
The weight is negligible, the complexity is non-existent, and Porsche first introduced one almost 30 years ago on the 959. It is not actually a new technology. You don't see it more because its not really needed in a modern street car and in racing most classes outlaw it. They outlaw it because it works that well.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 348 Likes on 211 Posts
Default GT4 RS

IMO,the beauty of the GT4 is that it has a manual transmission. The GT4 RS would be cool with a manual too. Or offer both. But I don't think Porsche will do both. They say it is not cost effective. Personally I wouldn't be interested in the GT department Cayman parts bin special without a manual. After thousands of pages of arguments back and forth,I still don't understand the purpose of an automatic transmission in a sports car. And I never will...
Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

The weight is negligible, the complexity is non-existent, and Porsche first introduced one almost 30 years ago on the 959. It is not actually a new technology. You don't see it more because its not really needed in a modern street car and in racing most classes outlaw it. They outlaw it because it works that well.
As always, thanks for the edification
Old 08-05-2015, 09:51 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 596 Likes on 266 Posts

Some die hard Cayman fans are also PDK fans, that's all. I'm not pushing PDK retrofits as much as I'm just curious because i know there are a lot of folks that like PDK for purposes of daily driving and was curious if there are those that would forego a 6-spd GT4 if a PDK version was on the horizon.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar exchange with a member earlier in this thread. If it were me, I would get a GTS with PDK and then have BGB install a 3.8 in the car. The guy I was talking to wanted all the GT3 based underpinnings that are on a GT4.

As for the GT3 part of your question? A lot of guys prefer the midengine platform to the rear. Doesn't make sense to some hardcore 911 guys, but there is definitely a group of us who think that the 911 always should have been a midengine car from the early days.
I fall exactly into the group Matt describes above and would have ordered the PDK if it were available in the GT4. I have owned a number of both platforms and enjoy them both for what they are, including how slick the latest gen PDK is.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
After thousands of pages of arguments back and forth,I still don't understand the purpose of an automatic transmission in a sports car. And I never will...
I whole heartedly agree, I never understood the concept of putting an automatic transmission into a sports car, and the only reason I can see for buying one would be if I got caught in lots of traffic on a regular basis, and thankfully I dont.
The words "sports" and "automatic" don't seem to go together.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:25 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

I whole heartedly agree, I never understood the concept of putting an automatic transmission into a sports car, and the only reason I can see for buying one would be if I got caught in lots of traffic on a regular basis, and thankfully I dont.
The words "sports" and "automatic" don't seem to go together.
If you take it to the track you will clearly see the benefits of PDK over a 6 speed.

(This from a die hard manual fan who could not get a manual GT4 at the agreed price).

Drive something like a F458 or a 991GT3 at the track and imagine trying to keep up shifting manually with engines that just rev up the powerband like there is no tomorrow.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS