Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:19 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by matt@PorscheBC
We received (allocations) seven GT4s and five GT3 RS. If the car is built, at spot #3, you would have a very good chance of getting one.
Call, text, email, or PM me if interested.
pretty impressive for a smaller dealer!
Old 08-07-2015, 08:07 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
2 pages later and not a single person noticed that I posted pictures of the prototype of our sequential gearbox, which as I alluded to in the post, buries the PDK vs manual debate deep deep under ground...
Okay I'll bite...
Tell me more.
Direct swap for the manual? Same clutch?
987? and 981?
No clutch upshifts? Similar to a 997 Cup box?
Rev matched downshifts by driver or is it somehow magically done for you?
6 speed? 7 speed? ratios lower than PDK or similar? etc etc?
Price?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:01 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

2 pages later and not a single person noticed that I posted pictures of the prototype of our sequential gearbox, which as I alluded to in the post, buries the PDK vs manual debate deep deep under ground...
Your pictures went right over my head. I leave gearboxes and diffs to you guys.

+1 on the details? - the last sequential I played with was a Lenco, and I cant imagine 6 or 7 shifters in a P-car console

Thanks for sharing these.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:02 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,017 Likes on 2,290 Posts

I'm wondering if there will be a lightweight flywheel for the GT4....
Old 08-08-2015, 05:31 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

i agree on base 911/cayman thing. Even the spyder was too fast to be able to wring it's neck all the time. which is why a BRZ appeals..

Joe you still have yours? Can you rev the nuts of it more of the time on the street and lay into the chassis more? I know dead boring on the track.

And the heel toe thing..... you can't do it properly on the street on a GT car without laying into the brakes as you would on track. a couple of years ago, I debated at length with Joe on my fav mushy brakes topic, arguing that there is a place for mushy brakes. defo not on track.

but on the street it works. In any case, practise and some creative foot positioning + super thin sole shoes work, just not so easily on cars with proper track brakes.
in short a road car could cry out for a manual in a way a track car wouldn't. But i also agree that unless you are running full slicks, a cup tire shod car could do equally well with a stick and only lose a few tenths. It's just that in a track environment, the heel and toe bit while impressive on videos do present an opportunity for error and distract you from the optimum line one would take. Maybe it is fear of the money shift on an expensive engine or call it whatever it is, it holds me back a bit.

I'm still a relative newbie at this and would go racing if not for the cost and time involved but i let you gurus tell me I'm wrong.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:13 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by drwuss
I was #2 deposit for gt4 (dealer has 3 allocations so I truly gave it up) and I turned my deposit over to GT4RS because of no PDK.
Trying...hard...to...resist...Dr. Wuss...joke...
Old 08-08-2015, 07:14 AM
FORENN
Banned

People keep calling the PDK an automatic transmission. That's really just not accurate IMO. It's an automatically clutching manual transmission. And sure, if you want it to be, it's an automatically shifting transmission.
It's a good point, but I expect even the way you describe PDK above sounds like an auto tranny to most people.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by vantage
The only reason I ever learned to heel-toe properly is because I've had a sports car for the last 10 years that wasn't offered in paddles. I think a lot of people do not enjoy driving manual because the lack of proficiency gets in the way of enjoyment and when the paddles do it so well, why bother to learn? There are plenty of people that can drive a manual well that still prefer PDK, I just think proficiency scares off a lot of people.
Very true. Reminds me of the discussion in the Joe Rogan podcast with Alex Ross and Magnus Walker.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Mvez
I just drove a friend's GT4 today, and the manual is sublime.....good god. It really might be the nicest manual I've ever driven. It's very mechanical like the 997 GT3, however, the position of the gear lever just seems higher and more ergonomic, so it adds even more feel to it somehow. I think the placement might be a big contributing factor.

To me it's all about preference. I respect the PDK, and for all out performance (and for some, it's pleasure), I can't deny it's the way to go. Being able to pull a paddle and bang, gear change, or downshift, bang, perfect downshift, every time is going to add up, a lot over the course of a track lap, or stint.

If I was a pro racing driver, I drive what is faster. For a club-race, DE, or daily, I would drive what I prefer, which is the manual.

Glad we still (barely) have that option. I can only pray they add a similar manual to the GT3 line.....
Well said!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
Joe you still have yours? Can you rev the nuts of it more of the time on the street and lay into the chassis more? I know dead boring on the track.
I sold it earlier this year. It was relatively fun on track, but it would break every time I took it to the track, so I stopped doing it. I used it as my DD, and it was a great DD, but my commute is only 3 miles. I ended up with a Fiat 500e electric car because it was zero down and $86 a month (plus $500/year allowance for car rental making it total ownership cost $1596 over 3 years). The family loves the Fiat, and it was a perfect 3 mile commuter for me, so the BRZ lost it's purpose and was sold. I don't miss it, to tell you the truth.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/22/f...usauto00000015

a couple of years ago, I debated at length with Joe on my fav mushy brakes topic
Has it been that long? LOL
Old 08-08-2015, 04:44 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Very true. Reminds me of the discussion in the Joe Rogan podcast with Alex Ross and Magnus Walker.
Nice, this is the episode I'm just about to start.

I'm really behind and can't keep up. I'm convinced Joe doesn't sleep and is able to perpetually recharge with an hour in the isolation tank and a pot of Caveman Coffee.

RunJRE
Old 08-08-2015, 05:02 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I'm wondering if there will be a lightweight flywheel for the GT4....
Already exists and dyno tested on the 981 3.8L cars we have built. 23 lbs vs 14 lbs created some serious power and torque that left all of us speechless.

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 08-08-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,017 Likes on 2,290 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Already exists and dyno tested on the 981 3.8L cars we have built. 23 lbs vs 14 lbs created some serious power and torque that left all of us speechless.

Nice, I'll be contacting you when it's time.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

Cool stuff
Old 08-09-2015, 02:26 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Cool stuff
Agreed. Some really cool and interesting posts/content in this thread.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS