Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

I have a PDK car and waiting to add the GT4. Part of the reason? Manual!

From what I have read so far, the manual in the GT4 is excellent. Can't wait.

Figured I'll throw in my 2 cents in this GT4RS thread turned manual vs PDK debate.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I agree but the point I failed to to make is that DE attendance is on the rise big time and while things like the economy and price to play vs club racing are the biggest drivers, I think PDK makes the jump from the ledge less terrifying.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. The rise in DE attendance is starting to become scary. I see more and more 'close calls' and wrecks now than ever before. Too many fast cars and too many numbskulls putting themselves into 'advance' way before they are ready.

P.S. Joe, your avatar is hilarious. I hope to meet you So Cal and Nor Cal folks some day.
LOL, Thanks! I hope to meet you sometime as well!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
He'll be in Orlando late Feb, pretty close to BGB headquarters :-)
He needs a Rental Cayman for a day to sample Sebring.
This is very tempting. Keep an eye out for the DE schedule the week that I'm out there and let me know what options I have.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,331 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Too many fast cars and too many numbskulls putting themselves into 'advance' way before they are ready.
Wouldn't you agree that these numbskulls can't put themselves there unless signed off for solo by some organization, promoted ahead of time by check out instructors, etc.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Originally Posted by ExMB
Wouldn't you agree that these numbskulls can't put themselves there unless signed off for solo by some organization, promoted ahead of time by check out instructors, etc.
I wish that were the case. Around here many organizations let you self 'promote', although not officially. They are more interested in filling their run groups.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,331 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I wish that were the case. Around here many organizations let you self 'promote', although not officially. They are more interested in filling their run groups.
Ouch. That is something I've never encountered in the regions I run. As an instructor I can make recommendations to the CDI. Sometimes the CDI wants to get a second opinion with the student either via another instructor or himself and sometimes he takes my word.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

PDK is the reason a lot of non-traditional Porsche folks have purchased cars to start the DE thing and it's solely because it's just easier.
true dat
Old 08-07-2015, 08:35 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 593 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
true dat
I do want to go on record in saying that the Getrag gearbox on the 981/987.2 platform is the single most reliable OE Porsche gearbox we ever encountered in street stock racing. The carbon lined syncros are robust, the trans can take serious abuse and it comes from a diesel Audi in Europe which satisfied all my torque limit concerns when it came time to decide whether or not it would last 24 hours. The 997 Aisin box was way better than the 996 Getrag box but this gearbox reigns supreme in my humble opinion. You can service it, put new parts in it and and run it til the cows come home.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I do want to go on record in saying that the Getrag gearbox on the 981/987.2 platform is the single most reliable OE Porsche gearbox we ever encountered in street stock racing.
Is this in the manual or PDK?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Another reason to have something older and more disposable in the garage.
Except that, increasingly, older doesn't translate into more disposable in Porsche-world.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I agree but the point I failed to to make is that DE attendance is on the rise big time and while things like the economy and price to play vs club racing are the biggest drivers, I think PDK makes the jump from the ledge less terrifying.
There's definitely something to it, but I think SP500 and QE (the "economy") have much more to do with it.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
There's definitely something to it, but I think SP500 and QE (the "economy") have much more to do with it.
Agreed. I knew if I don't mention the economy someone will say "it's not just PDK, it's the economy." I think we all realize that it smells like 2000 all over again.

Originally Posted by hf1
Is this in the manual or PDK?
I am talking about the manual gearbox used in the GT4. While I think the ZF PDK is reliable and while I'm certain we can lay claim to the longest running of a PDK in North America with our 6 hour finish at Sebring in January, I can only speculate that the PDK has close to that reliability but I'm am talking about the 6-spd Getrag manual in all 987.2s, 981s and GT4s and the one that will be on the upcoming GT4 race car that I can't even mumble about yet.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:24 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

2 pages later and not a single person noticed that I posted pictures of the prototype of our sequential gearbox, which as I alluded to in the post, buries the PDK vs manual debate deep deep under ground...
Old 08-07-2015, 10:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
2 pages later and not a single person noticed that I posted pictures of the prototype of our sequential gearbox, which as I alluded to in the post, buries the PDK vs manual debate deep deep under ground...
Yeah, quite a bunch of gear-heads over here.
Come on, stop teasing and start educating.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
Yeah, quite a bunch of gear-heads over here.
Come on, stop teasing and start educating.
You have to tell them they have options; 1.) Guard Transmission proprietary Cayman sequential; 2.) BGB Frankenbox with short ratio 1-2-3-4-5-6 with nothing other than Guard's short ratio GT4 gears for the masses!

And...begin!
Old 08-07-2015, 02:36 PM
matt@PorscheBC
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT4 RS - if it goes to production - I have build slot #3 available, and onward. We sell at MSRP. $2500 deposit locks your spot, additional $2500 required once we have a confirmed allocation for you.
We're a smaller dealer, but have Motorsport ties that help us get cars a dealer of our size would normally not. We received (allocations) seven GT4s and five GT3 RS. If the car is built, at spot #3, you would have a very good chance of getting one.
Call, text, email, or PM me if interested.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS