Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Only 3 vehicles are offered with the pdk-s gearbox, which is the only way to get PTV+, the turbo-S, 991 Carrera-S, and 991 GT3s of all variants.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:41 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
You're right about the 981, but here's Porsche's own page about PTV+ on the 991S (also mentions the base 991) that clearly says that cars equipped with PTV get PTV+ if PDK is also equipped and that PTV+ includes an e-diff: http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...plus-ptv-plus/
I pointed out my own mistake on my post, the 991GTS description states that the PTV+ includes an e-diff. Not sure if the implementation is as robust and track worthy as the one on the 991GT3.

Since we have gotten side tracked, let's get back on topic.

If the GT4RS with some form of PDK comes to fruition:

Will PAG make a GT4RS with PDK/PDK-S and an e-diff?

Or will they make a GT4RS with PDK/PDK-S and a regular mechanical diff?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:44 AM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Only 3 vehicles are offered with the pdk-s gearbox, which is the only way to get PTV+, the turbo-S, 991 Carrera-S, and 991 GT3s of all variants.
Thanks for chiming in Matt
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow2speed
Thanks for chiming in Matt
I guess this is as good a time to ask as any; who here actually wanted a PDK in the GT4, raise your hand?

The issue is that the 991 PDK doesn't work in the 981 so therefore a decision has to be made to invest in maybe a PDK specific for the 981 3.4L. I would be shocked if the car had the electronic diff which probably needs to be smarter for the rear wheel steering available on the GT3 that should never ever ever be installed on a mid engine Cayman.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:56 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,000 Likes on 373 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Given the demand and the target audience for the GT4, I highly doubt track time would affect a short term sales price. Maybe in 3 years when comparing a garage queen to a track *****; then It will matter.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I guess this is as good a time to ask as any; who here actually wanted a PDK in the GT4, raise your hand?

The issue is that the 991 PDK doesn't work in the 981 so therefore a decision has to be made to invest in maybe a PDK specific for the 981 3.4L. I would be shocked if the car had the electronic diff which probably needs to be smarter for the rear wheel steering available on the GT3 that should never ever ever be installed on a mid engine Cayman.
Well gee, thanks for shattering my illusion that going with a manual on the GT4 really was all about Porsche GT listening to its customers and wanting to deliver a car optimized for more engagement even at the cost of raw speed.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the 991 PDK work in the 981? Is there some issue involving the engine being located ahead rather than astern of the gearbox that can't be resolved as easily as the 991 engine swap into the GT4 was? And if the 981 PDK won't work with the 9A1 motor either, what is the problem there? Inability to handle the additional torque?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:32 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I didn't realize the TTS and Carrera S had PDK-S. I thought they were equipped with the standard PDK. Was there a time when I was right about this? I thought PDK-S was a better/quicker, race-designed PDK for only the GT3 and GT3RS (at least so far).
Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM
FORENN
Banned

But yes, I still recognize that there will be GT4 owners who will only ever use their cars on the street and maybe even relegate them to garage queen duty. That makes me sad that such great cars are going practically or completely unused, especially given the likely population of prospective owners who want and can afford a GT4 and would track it but simply can't get their hands on one, but that's the world for you I guess.
I know, right? Not to mention things like war, poverty, and crime.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I know, right? Not to mention things like war, poverty, and crime.
I think that it's tacitly understood that when reading Rennlist, people should expect basically every complaint to be first world problems, or even one-percenter problems. But you feel free to go around to various threads where people are griping about deviated stitching costs and inability to get custom whatever on their builds and tell them to be mindful of war, poverty, and crime so they keep some perspective.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

I didn't realize the TTS and Carrera S had PDK-S. I thought they were equipped with the standard PDK. Was there a time when I was right about this? I thought PDK-S was a better/quicker, race-designed PDK for only the GT3 and GT3RS (at least so far).
That is my understanding as well. The gearing for the GT3 is completely different and faster shifting from those other 2.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Well gee, thanks for shattering my illusion that going with a manual on the GT4 really was all about Porsche GT listening to its customers and wanting to deliver a car optimized for more engagement even at the cost of raw speed.
No no... i just meant that i think that's why you can't choose 6-spd or PDK. One thing is for certain, following the 991 GT3's only being available in PDK, they went out of their way to offer this car as a 6-spd and i think that the rush to get to market didn't leave time to develop a PDK specific for the car until they could gauge demand. You can tell that they had no idea the amount of hate mail they got from a PDK only GT3.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't the 991 PDK work in the 981? Is there some issue involving the engine being located ahead rather than astern of the gearbox that can't be resolved as easily as the 991 engine swap into the GT4 was? And if the 981 PDK won't work with the 9A1 motor either, what is the problem there? Inability to handle the additional torque?
A 991 transmission needs to be turned around and flipped upside down to work in a Cayman and that's why when you put a 911 motor in a Cayman, the motor is the only thing 911 and every other single thing is still Cayman like exhaust, axles, gearbox so that it all lines up. On the PDK, when the trans is in a 991 or a 981 the LSD is still on the same side of the car so they can't be rotated and flipped.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

My understanding is that it is the same gearbox but with different ratios depending on application. I could be mistaken and maybe it isn't an "S" gearbox. The piece about the PTV+ is accurate though regardless of the name of the family of gearboxes. It's a completely different casting to accomodate what you guys are calling the E-diff. I believe there is only one of those castings being used across all cars using that LSD.

If they were to offer a high end PDK with PTV+ for the Cayman/Boxster family it would require a new casting because of the mid-engine. There are already 2 castings for these cars, one for PTV and one for non-PTV. PTV+ would require a 3rd gearbox case.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

I think that it's tacitly understood that when reading Rennlist, people should expect basically every complaint to be first world problems, or even one-percenter problems. But you feel free to go around to various threads where people are griping about deviated stitching costs and inability to get custom whatever on their builds and tell them to be mindful of war, poverty, and crime so they keep some perspective.
haha, well said!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I guess this is as good a time to ask as any; who here actually wanted a PDK in the GT4, raise your hand?.
Hand raised, is there a general cost estimate to do this aftermarket?
The regular PDK would be acceptable, it doesn't have to be the GT3 specific PDK-S (pull both paddles for neutral, quicker shifts, non OD 7th, etc.), thanks.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:15 PM
FORENN
Banned

I meant the comment in fun. Sometimes such things don't translate well in internet posts.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS